• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
The sooner u get on it the cheaper it is. If i had done it ASAP it would of been a total of around 150 tops for food, singles, venue, and round trip. Since i couldn't commit right away it's costing me around 200.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm too cheap to even go to locals at this point, I've been to two tournaments in the past year lol

hard to stay motivated when I've barely improved in 4 years...if anything I'm significantly worse than I was in 2010, no reason to think I'm going to get much better at this point, so locals are pretty much "donate $10 to the same 3-4 people once or twice a month"

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, You certainly won't improve if you dont ever play in a competitive atmosphere. You somewhat didnt think this through too well

I'm too cheap to even go to locals at this point, I've been to two tournaments in the past year lol

hard to stay motivated when I've barely improved in 4 years...if anything I'm significantly worse than I was in 2010, no reason to think I'm going to get much better at this point, so locals are pretty much "donate $10 to the same 3-4 people once or twice a month"
lol Etecoon, you remind me of myself. The first couple of years I had never played offline or done tournaments. I just kept myself going with the theory crafting and trying to learn online.

In the last two years, I think my total tournament attendance is only 9. 4 IMDBs in WI, one local, two scrub, and two MN tourneys. The most recent out of 27 I got 7th. One I got into bracket and out of pools. One I didn't enter, and the rest were really low attendance and random bracket. Won both of the scrub tourneys.

I'm fairly convinced I'm at the borderline area after four years. With a bit more exposure and regular play, I think I could break out into possibly giving the tournament winners a hard time. I'm looking for advice, but no one has been able to really tell me anything. It sort of feels like its all self study now and stuff. I think maybe I need to get more match-up experience and experiment a bit along with catching onto players habits a bit more. In the end, I have no idea what more I should be doing except keep trying.

But I can admit to the feeling of giving someone your money. I just keep thinking of it as I am spending 10 dollars on some movie or some amusement park or the zoo. I spend a flat rate of 20 dollars to get in, and I have the next 12 hours of free play. Not a bad deal really.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
I think I already asked this, but whatever.

If I were to play my first Metal Gear game, what would I want to start with? The 1987 Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, or the HD collection?

I tried playing the MGS games and found I didn't really like any of them other than MGS3: Snake Eater. Which a lot of people have said is their favorite of the series. The whole idea of building up a team on the PSP was ugly. MGS2: Sons of Liberty was okay. MGS; Twin Snakes I have yet to get around to fully playing, but I think I might like it.

I just can never find a good block of time where I want to sit down and listen to like 10-20 minutes of narration in the beginning. I heard Sons of the Patriots was notorious for that with sometimes reaching 45 minute cutscenes (?)

Not sure about the really ancient ones.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
The old nes/snes era metal gear games aren't that great imo. Start with either MGS or the HD collection, BUT the whole foundation of the MGS series is the story, imho. If you don't want to sit and watch really long cutscenes then the only metal gear game you're likely to enjoy is peace walker. MGS4 also makes no sense at all unless you've played the other games and watched all their cutscenes lol, so definitely DON'T start with that. The game itself is amazing though.

Personally, I love the story and the Metal gear solid series is why I main snake

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I personally love the cutscenes, I'm not capable of commiting my full attention to a game for rediculous periods of time without a significant gap in the middle
Plus the shagohod chase scene in MGS3, Man how i loved that

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Fatal just got off in tourney. Just took 2nd place at L.I.R.R. 2 beating Nairo, Vinnie and a bunch of other people. It was a sick live stream.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I picked up snake because I needed a good character to cover ****ty MU's and I'm pretty much only good at using heavies.

But I did originally main him in like, 08 before i discovered the scene, Only because he was the only character i had managed to beat classic on without using a continue (the luck with the Fsmash)

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Ok thanks guys lol. I'll probably download MGS off the PSN (I think you can do that?) and then the HD collection (which is 2-4) if I like it.

I picked up Snake because he was #2 on the tierlist lol. I remember seeing him right next to Meta Knight :(

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Chibo has always been good at recording and getting it up fast, so I'm sure it'll be up in no time. He took anti to game five in grand finals, almost took him to the second set. Only lost to Anti.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Holly crap a :snake: doing good at a national thats not ally or razer

damn people are gonna start thinking he's worth 2nd place again :(

etecoon

Smash Hero
fatal is just amazing, snake is still mediocre

this game is pretty much about ice climbers, meta knight, olimar, and diddy, and you can kind of get away with a few other characters like snake or falco if you live in the right region(no top pikachus in NE = snakes everywhere)

Jrugs

Smash Ace
unfortunately for me I live in region where every one knows the mu's cuz they played the best snake in the country for like 2 years every Saturday, and as for pikachu we have one but damn he takes me out like every tourney.

The only reason I ever picked up snake I think was people suggested he was a decent second for Falco. It turned out to be pretty true. Rarely is there a time where someone has two mains that force me to switch back and forth between the two. Some weird combination like Olimar and Ice Climbers for example. So its nice to size up an opponent based on who they play and only have to pick one character for the whole set. I hate having to switch back and forth in a set.

The true reason though is explosives are way too much fun. I always love getting trades off of grenades since snake can tolerate it while others cannot. Sort of how peach in melee doesn't mind trading in matches.

That's really the only match-up issue with that combination and I do not think Snake loses the match-up. If he does, its only like a 45-55 disadvantage. Its not like pikachu has a 60-40 or better match-up against Snake.

The only major threat in that match-up is grabs from pikachu. Those can be avoided anddefended against with nades. Plus, snake has his own grab nonsense against pikachu with proper reads.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't like switching characters mid set usually either

or ever really

:metaknight: :metaknight: :metaknight: :metaknight: :metaknight:

my MK is like 10:90 vs IC's though, I should probably just start using snake since most IC players aren't very good against snake but at this point it's too rusty, I can only really play MK and marth now

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
My snake actually got better when I stopped using him and started using other characters for a few months. I think it's because with different characters you have to focus on different types of reads and adapting in different ways. I can now use DK, Peach, ICs, marth and lucario comfortably enough to have used them in tourneys, and they all have completely different play styles. Switching between them in sets helped make it easier when I'm going snake and need to adapt to different situations and change up my play style. It's not like Utah's tourneys are super competitive though besides probably the top five or six players, so maybe that's not saying much.

:phone:

etecoon

Smash Hero
I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is but part of it depends on the opponent, there are some people I can use random characters on with some degree of success, there are some people where even if I can beat them with MK and marth, I just get ***** if I use anyone I'm less familiar with...

Jrugs

Smash Ace
That's really the only match-up issue with that combination and I do not think Snake loses the match-up. If he does, its only like a 45-55 disadvantage. Its not like pikachu has a 60-40 or better match-up against Snake.

The only major threat in that match-up is grabs from pikachu. Those can be avoided anddefended against with nades. Plus, snake has his own grab nonsense against pikachu with proper reads.
a regular pika yep, Esam & Kprime no.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah I found that when I would occasionally pick up Brawl to practice I would do well and feel comfortable playing Snake, but when I just practice Brawl constantly I feel really awkward and blocky when I play. D= Also I love taking a brake from Snake and playing some other character, because I always feel like when I play a different character I learn something from their gameplay that I can use when I play Snake. ^_^

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Hey guys, Came 4th at a large tournament on sunday going Ike and snake, Snake only came into play in 2 sets but they were good games. One was vs. an MK (who didnt want to use his main-marth-because I've got it downloaded) and the other was vs. a D3

Anyways, Game 3 I got taken to castle seige. I have NEVER camped a platform so hard in my life :D

Top Bottom