• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Radford's Radically Rad Melee Monthlies: Oct 2nd. You Can Has Livestream.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Toooooooooo far.
Naw dood, NC is coming. Cyrain you have to come man! Just head over friday night and we will house you and make you food and chill, and reimburse some of your gas money.

Also, this tournament would basically be auto 1st in both for you.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Tell them: **** that ****. It's about a 8 maybe 10 hour drive from NC. And a 5 hour drive from East SoVA.

They got no johns if they don't present themselves.

That just means VA is waay 2 fcking big

and yea id like to go to this but as my college park colleagues have stated driving to new york would be closer than going to this so im gonna have to go to syphers since its alot closer in fact syphers is closer to my house than college park is and i live in MD

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i am straight garbage in teams, and also i'm not sure if i'm going anymore. NC should have a car regardless, but i'm just not sure about my own attendance. i'll know tomorrow.

sneak is good though, if you want an NC teammate.

Mahone

Smash Champion
If trueDarkness doesn't go then im not going.....

to be happy, because you were probably the coolest guy in NC

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
Ok I'm definitely coming to this now plus whoever else comes with me. I know that Tope can't and neither can Savedge but I'll try to convince some others.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Ok I'm definitely coming to this now plus whoever else comes with me. I know that Tope can't and neither can Savedge but I'll try to convince some others.
sweet. any idea who might be coming?

Mahone

Smash Champion
CLINT, add Lunchbox, P-Cat, and probably Math to confirmed... foxlisk you should ask math if he wants to go, I'm sure he would.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
reconfirmed for this. bringin my gf with me.

mahone, we may take you up on some green greens if possible.

NC GOIN IN!!!!

<3.

Let's play all day. This is gonna be the first time in a while that I just play melee for like 12 hours straight. Soooooo down.

Mahone

Smash Champion
reconfirmed for this. bringin my gf with me.

mahone, we may take you up on some green greens if possible.

NC GOIN IN!!!!
Nice, good stuff. I was just joking about the green greens thing, but if you really want some, send me a pm and ill get whatever you need from my roommate.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Alright guys, there are some issues I need to bring up that I found out about with my meeting with the Resident Director today.

First off, for the room to be reserved this has to be run as a student association type program so an Resident Assistant will be down there with us at all times (they will take shifts). This pretty much just means that you have to sign in when you arrive, no big deal there.
It also turns out that you guys will have to leave before 2 AM. This shouldn't be a real problem as I'm sure we will have enough setups to finish quite early and have several hours of friendlies.

Lastly, and the biggest issue is that I have to make the entry fee optional. This is just so if someone from within the dorm decides to enter (I haven't advertised it so I don't expect anyone), they can do so. ANYONE THAT DOES THIS WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PRIZE MONEY.

That being said, I STRONGLY encourage you to pay the entry fee. Its pretty much a freaking honor code within the community. Not paying to enter a tournament is like stabbing an unarmed man with a sword. Its just freaking wrong.

Don't let this deter you from coming and having a blast at the tournament. I know pretty much all of you will agree about paying the entry fee so this stipulation shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: a bit unrelated but I can actually house two people now (you still have to bring all of your own sleeping bags/bedding etc.) so combining that with the 1 zant can house, we could house a car of 3 people.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Alright guys, there are some issues I need to bring up that I found out about with my meeting with the Resident Director today.

First off, for the room to be reserved this has to be run as a student association type program so an Resident Assistant will be down there with us at all times (they will take shifts). This pretty much just means that you have to sign in when you arrive, no big deal there.
It also turns out that you guys will have to leave before 2 AM. This shouldn't be a real problem as I'm sure we will have enough setups to finish quite early and have several hours of friendlies.

Lastly, and the biggest issue is that I have to make the entry fee optional. This is just so if someone from within the dorm decides to enter (I haven't advertised it so I don't expect anyone), they can do so. ANYONE THAT DOES THIS WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PRIZE MONEY.

That being said, I STRONGLY encourage you to pay the entry fee. Its pretty much a freaking honor code within the community. Not paying to enter a tournament is like stabbing an unarmed man with a sword. Its just freaking wrong.

Don't let this deter you from coming and having a blast at the tournament. I know pretty much all of you will agree about paying the entry fee so this stipulation shouldn't be a problem.
First two issues aren't a big deal, last one kinda is. If we let people enter and they don't pay, it will mess up the balance of the bracket and what not, it would be really bad.

I suggest that since they will have no idea what is going on, because they are just random people who want to play smash. We just lie to them, and somehow don't let them actually effect the tournament.

There are like a million ways to do this, so don't even bother worrying about it.

Mahone

Smash Champion
ya, but it would be better if they just didn't enter, just in case...

Dude, it'll be fine, we will just play them in some friendlies, and then let them play in the crew battle or something. At most its gonna be like 5 guys since you didn't advertise, and we can just peer pressure them into not entering.

Stop this anti-hype right now!

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I really am expecting little to no non-paying people to enter. I know it sucks, but I have to allow it in some form.

In any case, I'm sure most of them would be tempted by the prize money anyways.

Stop panicing, everyone. The optional entry fee will not be a problem for us. As FACE said, we have a code of honor. We're not going to break it by not competing for free.

Look at it this way, the free entry may introduce a few people at Radford to the Smash Brothers tournament scene (and we desperately need it for our dying game). There are Smash fans, or at least they used to be Smash fans, that have collectively bet $50 against me. I got one guy to bet $10 vs me by putting a sign next to my door that said "WARNING! DO NOT bet $ against this guy in Super Smash Brothers." And for the guy that bet $40 against me, I was carrying some Smash stuff with me to a LAN party. Sadly, they never want to play the game anymore, at least vs me as far as I know.

Look, what I'm saying is the Smash fans out there need to know we exist. We hold tournaments for our game and that tournaments are amazingly fun.

We could even try something entirely new (to us at least) if we get a lot of free entry players. I think I could organize a little amateur bracket for players who get 2-0'ed/2-1'ed. Or if we do pools, we could have players who make it out of pools place in the main bracket and people who lose their pool get sent to the amateur bracket. I know this is kind of catering to the free players, but I want to introduce more players to the competitive scene. I know (sort of) a bunch of casual Smashers at my dorm and hopefully if they don't party this weekend, I can bring them to the tournament. Noobs are afraid of losing money and gaining nothing. I can promise them at least 4 tournament games, 2 of which will be vs someone of (near) equal skill so they don't feel down and will (likely) have interest to try again next tournament. Maybe I could even set up a Brawl setup to gain the interest of new school gamers/Smashers?

FACE, will you be using your laptop at all during the tournament? I'm thinking you should have your laptop run the main bracket and I can take care of recording and the amateur bracket with my laptop. It's just easier if we divide the work.

Melee is a dying community and we need new members more than ever.

tl;dr
I'm still cursed as a Peach player. So overly dramatic.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
man no one's gonna come up here and then not pay to play in the tourney. thats not what we're about.

and **** it if like one random dude shows up and wants to enter, i'll cover his entry fee to keep **** straight. ic an't cover like a million random radford dudes but if push comes to shove, we'll make this work.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
my car is full now.

me, sneak, diatenshi (m@), DJRome, and my girl.

lookin forward to this.

i'm also hoping mariabattleaxe and everlasting yay make it to this too. but thats pretty much a separate matter thats up to them.

Mahone

Smash Champion
my car is full now.

me, sneak, diatenshi (m@), DJRome, and my girl.

lookin forward to this.

i'm also hoping mariabattleaxe and everlasting yay make it to this too. but thats pretty much a separate matter thats up to them.
awesome, ill ask maria whats up, since i need to know anyway, because of housing. Also, will you guys need housing?

Mahone

Smash Champion
naw don't worry i already talked to him about it.

It has to be optional cuz of school rules or something, but we have a way to work around it.
Don't worry everyone who is entering the tournament is definately paying 5 bucks.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Who is coming from NC?

-Edit- Depending on housing and whether or not the tourney entry fee is actually legit, Poehlcat and I might still come. Will update when we figure **** out.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Two days yall. are you hype? GET HYPE!

@Poehlcat & Cyrain and whoever:

I know that my attitude, and that of Mahone and Face as well (who are probably the most closely involved in organizing/promoting this event) is that if you play in the tournament, you should pay for it. I would hope that no one in the community has the attitude that they want to drive for a few hours to play in tournament and then not pay simply because they don't expect to win. I doubt I'll place in the money -- certainly if Richmond comes I don't stand a chance -- and I am definitely going to pay because that's what tourneys are about: taking the game seriously and giving it your all in a situation where your opponent is going to be doing the same. We'll play plenty of friendlies afterward, there's no reason anyone should deign not to pay the entry fee, and I would personally look down on anyone who chose to do so.

In response to your question about NC: i imagine you found the answer, but TrueDarkness is taking himself, Sneak, Diatenshi, and DJRome. Maria said she and Yay were going to try to come depending on work; I don't know if they're coming or not yet.

We'd all be really happy to have you and we can get you housing. I, at least, am really excited about how big this tournament is getting and it'd be awesome to get the richmond group to come along too. If you can't come for travel/expense/etc reasons, that's understandable, but this is going to be a legitimate tourney, so don't avoid it for that reason.

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, Foxlisk that sounds good to me.

So far the Richmond caravan is looking like me, Cyrain, The Fear, and probably also Doll and Nelo.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
I dunno about Nelo at this point, but my buddies Trey and Danny are pretty interested in attending as well. None of it is guaranteed, but if all goes according to plan then we can probably bring 6 people.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Pretty much what Foxlisk said.

Since you guys keep mentioning Maria and Yay, I should let you all know that I PMed her a few days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

But hell yes richmond is coming out. I'm so hyped guys. Soooooooo hyped.

Top Bottom