• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Character Selection with Custom On

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
When choosing a random character with the green wrench on, what options are considered?

Does it choose any outfit for any character? My guess is yes.

Does it include custom equipment and alternate specials?

If so, does it only select from combinations I've created? For example, if my only custom Mario has up special 2 and down special 3, could a random character spawn with up special 3 and down special 1 if I have those unlocked?

Lastly, can it include equipment and specials I haven't unlocked yet? I'm guessing it only selects from what I've unlocked but figured I'd ask just in case.

Thanks.

Khao

Smash Lord
It selects a random character with random equipment and random specials.

It doesn't actually selects from the customized characters you have created, like, if you haven't created a custom Ganondorf, you'll be able to get a Ganondorf with random equipment and moves. It really just ignores the customs you have created and just randomizes them completely.

But it does depend on what you have unlocked. Much like you can't get Mr. Game & Watch through Random if you haven't unlocked him, you won't be getting a special move you haven't unlocked yet, or equipment you don't own.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When you choose random, the selected character's customizations will always change per match. The equipment and custom specials that are chosen are based on what you've collected so far.

For an example, if you have any Glider equipment, then the character might be equipped with it, but only if he or she is compatible with the Glider equipment's equipment type; the Glider Staff can only be used by Rosalina and Palutena, while the Glider Brawn Badge can be used by all characters.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
What custom moves are unlockable in the sense they require completing a challenge? I know the majority seem to be randomized in trophy rush and classic mode and Allstar and such. I really wanna unlock them all . The 3ds version seems to be easier to unlock them all in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
What custom moves are unlockable in the sense they require completing a challenge? I know the majority seem to be randomized in trophy rush and classic mode and Allstar and such. I really wanna unlock them all . The 3ds version seems to be easier to unlock them all in.
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/unlockables/custom-moves

I've checked myself to see that those are right, and in fact I contacted them to change something that was wrong, so hopefully this is a reliable source.

Last edited:

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
Thanks. I kept seeing default specials, but that's probably because many hours in, I've only unlocked 263 special moves even with the home screen trick. I really wish I could buy individual things with coins and/or there was a filter to prevent unlocking things I already own.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I have some questions about this as well. I was thinking about deleting my equipment to make for fun and absurd randoms with custom moves but I have a few issues with it I can't find answers for.

Ideally, I would make a copy of my save file and have one with all my equipment and one with no equipment, but I'm having trouble finding a way to make this happen.

I give Little Mac the glider brawn badge to make him more viable, and use other equipment related to items to make it so he only has a +1 attack and +0 everything else. If a character has a piece of equipment equipped, can other characters still get it? For instance, if I have one glider brawn badge and have it on Little Mac, will other characters be able to get it on random selection?

EDIT: I found out how to make a copy of the save file and will test the equips once I sell off the several thousand extra pieces later.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Finding Waldo Finding Waldo : More than one character can be equipped with a single piece of equipment, so if you give Mario your single Air Attacker Gloves, all the other characters can be equipped with it as well, assuming that they're compatible with the Gloves equipment.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
Finding Waldo Finding Waldo : More than one character can be equipped with a single piece of equipment, so if you give Mario your single Air Attacker Gloves, all the other characters can be equipped with it as well, assuming that they're compatible with the Gloves equipment.
This was unfortunate, but playing with all the randoms is a nice game changer.

Top Bottom