• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Raptor ****

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Raptor boost is underrated.
~Everyone should stop underrating it.

I've faced lots of falcons, and I don't see raptor boost enough. Not even close to enough.

:falcon: Step 1. Falcon kick Raptor boost

Yes. NO MORE FALCON KICKS. I repeat: NO MORE FALCON KICKS.

Sometimes you have this feeling, mostly when the opponent is, lets say, 4 falcons away from you, that a falcon kick will get them off guard, and that you'll be there fast, and that it will do damage and you'll get away with it and tomatoes and it will be effective and

:falcon: - NO!

1.1 It will not catch them off guard.
1.1.1 Even if it does catch them off guard, if they are below like 70%, they can still punish you. Even if they get hit.
1.2 Falcon kick travels slower than you might think.
1.3 It won't do damage. As you will get shield grabbed, or punshed even worse.
1.3.1 Even if it does damage, the opponent probably does more damage to you, even if it hits.
1.4 Tomatoes. They are healty and fresh. Try them (if you aren't allergic to them, offcourse).
1.5 You won't get away with it. See point 1.1.1 and/or 1.3.1.

Use Raptor boost **** instead.

:falcon::falcon:Step 2 Raptor **** - Must know's

2.1 Falcon is never safe. Know that at all times.
2.2 Don't forget to 'reverse' the raptor boost first for more reach.
2.3 Aerial raptor **** boost is horrid. Don't use it. Only use it on the ground.
2.3.1 Falcon is very vulnerable during a earial raptor boost, even if you think it will do the job, refrain and (when recovering) rely on DIing away from the stage and then up bing to the ledge/over the ledge instead. Falcon's up b when aiming for the ledge isnt hard to punish, no, but falcon's up b when aiming for the ledge is mucho harder to punish than his side b. Remember that.
2.4 Grounded raptor boost ****'s uppercut is fairly quick.
2.5 When your raptor **** is shielded, jab or run away the way you were raptor ****** from, as most opponents will try to grab you, and not all characters will be able to grab you due to raptor ****'s shield push back. (And falcon's jab is fast, faster then their grab.).
And when this happens, jab(-->jab)-->grab offcourse, if you succeed to punish their punishment.
2.6 Powerpuff girls.
2.7 Raptor **** makes falcon go slightly backward as it initiates. Use this to dodge attacks + punish them at the same time.
2.8 Raptor **** puts every character in a difficult position, so raptor **** can **** every character. Use that knowledge.

:falcon::falcon::falcon:Step 3: Set ups for the raptor ****

3.1 Dthrow. It will punish their airdodge/counter attack (if any), and most opponents will airdodge/counter attack.
3.2 Fthrow. Same as with Dthrow. But Fthrow is a little less reliable for setting up for raptor **** due to the opponents flight trajectory caused by falcon's Fthrow. But still legit.
3.3 Sh Dair. Yes, Falcons Dair is one of the best set ups for raptor ****, especially at lower pecents. It counters their air dodge or counter attack (if any), and if they don't airdodge or counter attack, it still hits. It can even connect as they are trying to second jump away.
3.4 FF First hit Nair. This is also one of the best setups for raptor ****. The few frames the opponent may be able to escape are easily missed by said opponent. So you raptor **** them.
3.5 Falling Uair. Raptor **** will (dodge+)punish the opponents reaction.
3.6 (RaR'd) SH/FF Bair. Same as Uair. Its legit as a setup for raptor ****.
3.7 jab(-->jab)-->raptor ****. Raptor **** can dodge + punish the opponents reaction. Which makes this method legit, too.
3.8 SH flubbed knee. Same as Uair, Bair and jab.
3.9 Dtilt. If the opponent DI's up, they'll get raptor *****.
3.10 Ftilt. Only works at low percentages, though.

:falcon::falcon::falcon::falcon:Step 4. Follow up after the raptor **** - What puts the ****, in raptor ****?

4.1 Uair(->Uair)_.another raptor ****/other follow up. This works really well. Use it.
4.2 up b. Near the ledge (so you can up b and DI towards the ledge and hang from it if you miss to limit the quite small chance of you getting punished even more) this follow up shines, too. Especially fast fallers can easily get up b'd after raptor ****.
4.3 Sweet knee. Yes, this does work. Even when you think opponents would know when to airdodge, this can succeed, as frankly, after a raptor boost, the opponent has limited frames to escape, which is easily taken advantage of.
4.3 Bair. Same as the sweet knee follow up variation.
4.4 Nair. As Falcon's Nair ahs quite some reach, this move can very well be your best bet when the opponent is at a high(er) damage percentage (when the opponent flies away further when getting raptor *****).
4.5 Wait. Yes, wait. and catach them with another raptor **** as they land.
4.6 Bair airdodge-->One of the above works so well. it hurts. The opponent.

raptor **** *****. :falcon:

Mit

Smash Ace
I find the move has far too much risk for way too small of a reward. All it does is put your opponent in the air (and if you do it at low percentages, it puts them so low in the air that they punish you for hitting them with it). 90% of the time I'd rather approach differently and throw them to get them into the air. Or, as you said not to do, use a Falcon Kick :p (unless again, the opponent's at a low percentage, you'll get punished for hitting with that too).

The only time I find myself using it is to punish a predicted spotdodge (if they have a quick spotdodge they're likely to get hit by raptor boost sometime while you're passing by them due to how long it's hitbox stays out). But yeah, many times I'll instead Falcon Kick, or be even safer and go for a dash attack.

My solution: play Balanced Brawl :p Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick are always safe on hit, and do more damage. While still risky, you can use the attack without worrying about being punished for landing it, and you atleast get a little more reward out of it.

Although, in either version of Brawl, Raptor Boost into someone's shield who has a slow grab -> jabs works wonders. They will constantly try to punish you for hitting their shield, but the ending lag on hit is very low and the jabbers almost always beat them.

Chirp

Smash Apprentice
I follow it up with 2 uairs and get them almost always. Easy percent i use it a lot.

Player-3

Smash Hero
You would falcon kick instead of ****?????? The **** man gtfo ur usin it wrong

Mit

Smash Ace
It's just a safer punishing option to me. I've got a better grasp on when it hits, and if you whiff or miss them the punishment is usually less than what'll happen if you whiffed a raptor boost.

Also, lol @ follow up with two uairs. Your opponent is doing it wrong.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I've always used raptor boost. You just have to pick and choose when to use it as It's not one of the safer moves in falcon's moveset.

Stutter stepping it is sexy.

Also, I'm glad to see you mentioned the "RB...wait...RB again" tactic. :)...It's a great way to mess with an opponent every now and then. The last money match I played was against a Fox player; He ate a raptor boost, then took the other stalled raptor boost, and then finally took one more after putting his shield up, seeing me run the other way (mindgamez. lulz), and then dropping his shield.

Three in a row.

Granted, I never tried that again at that tournament, but it probably isn't a bad idea. Just "waiting" to raptor boost after the first one.

I mean, we've actually already been over this in an older thread. I've probably typed too much. *feels lame*

I'm a lurker now. Don't judge me :p

Chirp

Smash Apprentice
It's just a safer punishing option to me. I've got a better grasp on when it hits, and if you whiff or miss them the punishment is usually less than what'll happen if you whiffed a raptor boost.

Kick has tons of lag if they shield it easily punished and raptor boost is a lot harder to punish, and also i dont mean that the first one is a guareented it i can usually get them into my 2nd one with my 1st.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I could be mistaken, but I believe that only Ganondorf's Wizard's Foot goes over Bananas. I think Falcon can still trip over them when he does it.

However, that reminds me. Am I the only one that likes to banana lock Diddy Kongs with Falcon? Falcon's jump canceled glidetoss goes about the same distance as Diddy's glidetoss, AND you can **** him with smash attack at the end of it. rofl.

It's sorta sad that I feel safer counter picking Falcon against Diddy Kong than I do Wario.

Zeallyx

Falcon kick gets punished more easily then raptor boost. Its best if you stop using it, and use raptor boost instead.

I find it ironic that you say that, as you are doing it wrong.

Falcon kick goes over bananas, no?
No, falcon kick does not go over banana's.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I find the move has far too much risk for way too small of a reward. All it does is put your opponent in the air (and if you do it at low percentages, it puts them so low in the air that they punish you for hitting them with it). 90% of the time I'd rather approach differently and throw them to get them into the air. Or, as you said not to do, use a Falcon Kick :p (unless again, the opponent's at a low percentage, you'll get punished for hitting with that too).

The only time I find myself using it is to punish a predicted spotdodge (if they have a quick spotdodge they're likely to get hit by raptor boost sometime while you're passing by them due to how long it's hitbox stays out). But yeah, many times I'll instead Falcon Kick, or be even safer and go for a dash attack.

My solution: play Balanced Brawl :p Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick are always safe on hit, and do more damage. While still risky, you can use the attack without worrying about being punished for landing it, and you atleast get a little more reward out of it.

Although, in either version of Brawl, Raptor Boost into someone's shield who has a slow grab -> jabs works wonders. They will constantly try to punish you for hitting their shield, but the ending lag on hit is very low and the jabbers almost always beat them.
Nope, nope, and uhm...nope...
Raptor Boost has mindgame potential, something Falcon Kick has very little, Raptor Boost is also the only move next to Jab, Uair and Bair that really fits in his (supposed to be) speedy playstyle, basically it's move you should use at high speed (running), runaway > RB = ****. Running away is even better :D!!
Also, when is there ever a situation where you don't want your opponent in the air? We Falcon's CRAVE to be under an opponent, because that's where we can excel (to a certain level), that's where many of our follow-ups begin, it's very rewarding to get your oppponent in the air. Also, Raptor Boost at 0% knocks them too far to punish immediatly, so it's safe on hit. Use Raptor Boost.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The only thing Falcon Kick is extremely good for is it's priority over most other attacks in the game. It's still fairly useless, however. One other thing it's good for is if you know how to Falcon Kick Cancel when going off a ledge into a fastfall edgehog/Fair/Bair/Uair.

Other than that, there's only about two other cases that I would consider that could call for a Falcon Kick. It's garbage, not reliable, laggy, and the only time I would even recommend using it is a quick punisher while in midair, or to help mix up your recovery.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I know, 'Lol', right?
I actually started laughing myself when I was typing that.

But sadly, in midair, it does go through a lot of things, so I had to say it.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
That, and for the Falcon Kick Cancel on the ledge that I was talking about. Which really doesn't help much. Far too situational, even though it ***** face. lol

.Marik

is a social misfit
Great guide.

Raptor **** does indeed, ****.

I've also used it for recovering. Use Raptor Boost in midair, and it will strike the opponent and the momentum will allow you to recover over the side of the edge.

Works particularly well on Final Destination and Yoshi's Island.

Falcon Kick gets punished too much. :(

Player-3

Smash Hero
RB is good for recovering.. well no
not good

but good for recovering agaisnt unsuspecting opponents

e.g- ff nothing if your above the ledge, and rb right at it

opponents are usually a little slow on the edgeguarrd because the expect an upb later on

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I would only use Raptor Boost while recovering if you're still guaranteed to recover back onto the stage, rather you hit opponent or not.

It's far too risky otherwise. Trying to smack them off the edge often results in suiciding if their invincibility frames haven't run out. rofl

.Marik

is a social misfit
I would only use Raptor Boost while recovering if you're still guaranteed to recover back onto the stage, rather you hit opponent or not.
It still works for recovering if the opponent shields. :p

That's how it usually works, albeit getting punished due to the landing lag. :\

It's far too risky otherwise. Trying to smack them off the edge often results in suiciding if their invincibility frames haven't run out. rofl
Lol, it's good for mindgames. They're ready to gimp/spike my Falcon, and I just Raptor Boost and they're all "......"

I would never edgeguard with Raptor Boost, of course.

Haha, I love Falcon. <3

Even though UpB works incredibly well in most cases and you can string together situational combos. :D

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Falcon does a frog hop over anything in midair if the Raptor Boost registers something entered it's hurtbox zone. Rather you hit an opponent, item, obstacle, whatever. It's just when they hold onto the edge and they have invincibility frames, it's like they aren't even there. Falcon just misses and tumbles to his death.

You have to be careful with the timing on the Raptor Boost in the air. Up+b is much more reliable unless they're trying to tech chase you off the stage. lol.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Falcon does a fog hop over anything in midair if the Raptor Boost registers something entered it's hurtbox zone. Rather you hit an opponent, item, obstacle, whatever. It's just when they hold onto the edge and they have invincibility frames, it's like they aren't even there.
Haha, this is what I was trying to say. You worded it perfectly.

But the main intention of recovering with a Raptor Boost obviously, is because of an opponent focused on Edgeguarding your Falcon.

Since they are near the edge, the hitbox zone will register, and he'll recover with a fog hop that propels him due to the momentum. It's exceptionally great when it's an unpredicted move, allowing you to escape without getting punished.

I still UpB frequently, the risk is lower and the reward is higher, but Raptor Boost is still another option, is all I'm trying to imply.

Lol, I like your location title by the way.

Mit

Smash Ace
Raptor boost in the air has gotta be used sparingly and only against certain opponents. Usually those who really want to chase you offstage. Even then I'd only say to use it when you're a good deal above your opponent. Chances are, if they attack you while you're using raptor boost, they're going to connect, and you aren't going to. Make sure you can always make it back when using it as well, and don't use it too high up in the air (your opponent will punish you every time as you take forever to freefall all the way back to the stage).

As far as punishments vs. Falcon Kick, I was referring more to when you whiff the move and less to when you hit a shield. If your opponent spotdodges a Falcon Kick, you'll fly past them, most likely to a safe distance (if you were close enough). Raptor boost however, will leave you flat on your face on the ground, and you'll get punished every time. Same if your opponent rolls away. A Falcon Kick might still hit them, a raptor boost will leave you right on front of them, as you're stuck in a ton of ending lag.

Anyhow, I think Raptor Boost is better against certain characters who can't punish it so easily if you hit their shield. I've been playing against Ness a lot recently, and his grab doesn't come out fast enough to grab me out of a shielded raptor boost, and all of his other options don't appear to be faster than Falcon's jab.

As far "GETTING THEM INTO THE AIR IS DA BEST", I'm aware of that, but Falcon has plenty of options to do this, and the position Raptor Boost puts your opponent into in the air isn't always amazing (and never consistent).

I'd still say just use it to punish. Sometimes when you're relatively far away from your opponent, you can punish with either a raptor boost or a falcon kick. I tend to use Raptor Boost in situations where I need the hitbox that stays out for a long time (like hit a spotdodger as soon as their animation ends), And I tend to Falcon Kick to punish at slightly further distances, and when I need to catch my opponent off guard after they do something like throw a projectile or land from the air.

Also, pray your opponent doesn't notice that Raptor Boost's priority is basically zero, and that they can stop it with any fast attack they have (like, near almost everyone in the cast's jab) if they don't feel comfortable trying to dodge it otherwise. What's more, they get to damage you as well -.- These situations where this might be possible is also where I might recommend Falcon Kick instead, seeing as how it atleast has a bit higher priority (although nothing spectacular). Judging when to use the two ultimately boils down to your judgment and instincts while fighting however, and no amount of discussion will usually prepare you to decide which to use in certain situations. You've just gotta become comfortable with both moves in your own ways and determine when to use them, especially with how both moves are pretty risky to use.

Mit

Smash Ace
Guessing that's mostly sarcasm in response to my post in the other thread, but try and find some videos of people playing Falcon, and you'll see them use Falcon Kick, and I think you'll notice their Raptor Boost is used rather sparingly. Mostly with stuff like run away -> turn around raptor boost, or a punish. Of course, Falcon Kick will probably be used sparingly as well. It just seems good for surprise punishes from a distance. Something like a Tink using a SH Zair away from you. He might land out of range of just about every attack you have except maybe raptor boost, and likely Falcon Kick. If you can fly up to him and kick him while he's landing, you'll nab some damage.

Also, spacing a baited utilt from your opponent and shoving an aerial Falcon Kick down their throat for both hitboxes and 20+ damage is totally worth it if you can pull it off.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The best part about Raptor Boost is when your opponent is right next to you, you can Raptor Boost away from them and it goes behind and still hits them.

Carry on.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The best part about Raptor Boost is when your opponent is right next to you, you can Raptor Boost away from them and it goes behind and still hits them.

Carry on.
Yeah, if you run towards them just slightly, then Raptor Boost away from them, Falcon just slides behind them and uppercuts them in the back. Gotta love Falcon.

Player-3

Smash Hero
darx

if you hit someone with the beggining of fk

they can walk up to you and fully charge a fsmash its so bad

seriosuly

well no not seriously but you get the point

falcon kick is horrid on the ground, just O.K in the air

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
darx

seriosuly

I never said I would hit them.

I find fk more viable if you just completely ignore them at all and go in the opposite direction.

got it?

Mit

Smash Ace
darx

seriosuly

That's pretty much almost true when they've got next to no damage. It becomes more reliable when they have higher amounts of damage though, as it will pop them up high enough so you can recover from the kick.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
That's pretty much almost true when they've got next to no damage. It becomes more reliable when they have higher amounts of damage though, as it will pop them up high enough so you can recover from the kick.
A fresh kick hitting a floatie at about 70% I think

i still wouldn't use it though

Zeallyx

Mit, Even if you hit the opponent with falcon kick at a percentage they will fly far enough the ending lag will still limit your follow ups.

Raptor boost does not have this problem, and raptor boost will be unpunishable when it connects even when the opponent has 0% damage.

And on top of that, falcon kick has 3 hitboxes. and 2 of them will make you unable to follow up at almost every percent (the hitboxes that make the opponent fly horizontally away from you (forward), and the hitbox making the opponent fly horizontally away from you (backward)).

tl;dr Mit you are wrong in thinking falcon kick is useable/legit.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
(1) As far as punishments vs. Falcon Kick, I was referring more to when you whiff the move and less to when you hit a shield. If your opponent spotdodges a Falcon Kick, you'll fly past them, most likely to a safe distance (if you were close enough). Raptor boost however, will leave you flat on your face on the ground, and you'll get punished every time. Same if your opponent rolls away. A Falcon Kick might still hit them, a raptor boost will leave you right on front of them, as you're stuck in a ton of ending lag.

(2) As far "GETTING THEM INTO THE AIR IS DA BEST", I'm aware of that, but Falcon has plenty of options to do this, and the position Raptor Boost puts your opponent into in the air isn't always amazing (and never consistent).

(3) Also, pray your opponent doesn't notice that Raptor Boost's priority is basically zero, and that they can stop it with any fast attack they have (like, near almost everyone in the cast's jab) if they don't feel comfortable trying to dodge it otherwise. What's more, they get to damage you as well -.- These situations where this might be possible is also where I might recommend Falcon Kick instead, seeing as how it atleast has a bit higher priority (although nothing spectacular).
(4) Guessing that's mostly sarcasm in response to my post in the other thread, but try and find some videos of people playing Falcon, and you'll see them use Falcon Kick, and I think you'll notice their Raptor Boost is used rather sparingly. Mostly with stuff like run away -> turn around raptor boost, or a punish. Of course, Falcon Kick will probably be used sparingly as well. It just seems good for surprise punishes from a distance. Something like a Tink using a SH Zair away from you. He might land out of range of just about every attack you have except maybe raptor boost, and likely Falcon Kick. If you can fly up to him and kick him while he's landing, you'll nab some damage.

(5) Also, spacing a baited utilt from your opponent and shoving an aerial Falcon Kick down their throat for both hitboxes and 20+ damage is totally worth it if you can pull it off.
(1) The thing is, when they shield a RB, they are more likely to grab or use a quick (and most of the time, harmless attack). They can't pull off an aerial most of the time, since we have a great chance to Power Shield it. When you use FK, you fly past your opponent, they Power Shield, run towards you and they have full acces to aerials, grabs and to an extent tilts and smashes. FK gets punished harder then RB.

(2) Falcon has plenty of options? What options? Grab, Pivot Grab, Jab-Grab, those are the options we have (the GOOD ones) to get an opponent in the air so that we can actually follow-up, 3 options to get them where we can rule to an extent, so Raptor Boost is more than welcome. And the position RB puts them in is just fine, wether they DI or not, we have the tools to follow up just fine, Uair and Bair.

(3) People know of FK's priority, so they just shield and punish it, RB is quick and opponents won't expect it (or they do, and whiff their attack). And I have never, ever seen my RB's getting punished by jabs, not saying it's impossible, but people don't realize it's so easy to punish. Also, that's the point of mindgaming with RB, do it when people don't expect it, people can't punish what they don't expect unless we screw it up.

(4) Falcon's not about nabbing damage, using FK on a Tink when he retreats a Zair is a bad idea, and even when you can get FK in there, it's not worth it, because you surely will hit with a bad hitbox, which you will get punished for, Falcon is about playing safe. And sure, you can look up people playing Falcon and notice they use FK more than RB, they probably do, and they're surely doing it wrong. I've played one of the (if not the) best Falcons, Rebaz, that's a Falcon player who is doing it right, and you know, not even one Falcon Kick.

(5) That requires you're better at thinking and mindgames than your opponent, but all in all that's not a bad thing to do.

Top Bottom