• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

rate me =P

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
I only watched the first one. Im not really good at rating people but you jump way to much, it was not needed. That lucario was not very good, should of been a 3 stock >_>

Oh and fastfall

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, I only watched the first one because, well, technically I should be finishing up a research paper... Also, I'm running pretty much purely on caffeine right now, so this may not be as good a post as it should be, and I may come back to edit it later. Anyway, now that the pre-johns are out of the way, the actual post:

Anyway, here's some advice (some of which I'm just going to quote from another post I made to another Kirby, which you can look at if you want a HUGE summary of things that are a good idea to do with Kirby):

First off, wow... that Lucario player was bad... what was that death at the end? WHY?

*Ahem*

Anyway, you did some very nice things, and some very bad ones. For example, that Stone edge guard was awesome. It couldn't really be easily punished from that position, though that Lucario player should never have gotten hit by it... However, the two stones preceeding it? Bad. A spot dodge to grab or even just shield to side B/Fair/Nair could have easily punished you.

Also, your movement and spacing need work. That's right, I'm going to tell you how to move. You have to make yourself more unpredictable, and erratic movements help with this a lot. Try using dash pivot cancels and retreating aerials to acheive this goal. Also, don't always try to come down from the top onto your opponent. While Dair is an amazing move, it will not beat out most Utilts/Usmashes, and if that Lucario had chosen to utilize them, you'd have been in a LOT more pain. Finally, you don't want to roll through your opponent. Rolling in general is not as useful in Brawl as it was in 64 (and melee? I don't really, know... I suck so hard at melee I have no business giving advice on it). Don't get me wrong, it's good, but can be punished fairly easily, and when you repeatedly roll through your opponent, you're just asking for a Fsmash/Dsmash. If you want to roll, roll away. In general though, shielding, perfect shielding, and spot dodging are more useful when timed correctly (Though I'll admit I still have a bit of a compulsive rolling habit which, while not what it used to be, refuses to disappear.).

As for Spacing, this post more or less sums it up:
You, as a Kirby player, should be putting the fear of the puffball in them, using your spacing tools to make them afraid of approaching, and using erratic movements and the occasional FC shockwave to keep them on their toes and never knowing when/how you'll attack. By spacing tools I mean Bair, Fair, pivot canceled tilts/smashes, hyphen smashes, and canceled aerial hammers (For any term you don't know, look in a guide. Actually, looking in a Kirby guide will help reguardless.).
Also, your air dodging: While air dodging is useful, you have to time it right, otherwise the opponent will just wait for you to come out and punish you, as you noticed. One thing to keep in mind is you don't have to do an air dodge going up. You can fast fall an air dodge into your shield.

And speaking of shielding...:
Next up, Shielding: The shield... ahhh... at one point this was the most neglected part of my game, and the main reason I got ***** as soon as I went up against good players. While you could somewhat neglect it in the last two instillations of the game and still get by, Brawl being a very defensive game, the shield is incredibly useful. You have to learn to read your opponent (which on a CPU [edit just for you: Or a crappy opponent] is not all that complicated) and shield/dodge when an attack is/could potentially be coming. Plus, you have options once in your shield. You can cancel it through both grabs and jumps, both of which will be useful for your Kirby's game. Imagine shielding an attack, to counter with a Gonzo combo during the enemies finishing lag. Now stop imagining it and go do it.
You could have taken advantage of that Lucario's rampant Fsmash spam by simply shielding, then punishing.

Moves to start using more often:
-Bair: Sure you used it, but not quite enough. Seruiously, this move does everything for you. I use it on average per match about as much as you both used attacks total (that might be a slight exaggeration). This move is disjoincted, has great priority, does great damage, and has great knockback, clashes with most projectiles, can form a wall of pain, can kill, can gimp, and is an excellent spacing tool. There is no reason why this shouldn't be completely and utterly abused until the opponent unplugs your controller in frustration.
-Utilt: This move is fast, reaches in front of, behind, and above Kirby, despite the deceptive animation, and has insane priority. Seriously, this cancels ROB and Peach's Fsmashes, as well as most moves in this game. On top of that, it is an amazing combo starter, and can be used to follow up your Dthrow.
-Inhale: This move can be very good, since it will override most attacks that require them to be close and even when they hit, if the enemy started getting inhaled, you get super armor. Also, it does 10% if you spit them out, and I think 6% if you swallow. Plus getting an extra move, especially if it's a projectile, is usually good, and most of them compliment your grab game well. Lucario's Aura Sphere is a great power to have too, especially since a good Lucario can be very hard to approach.
-Final Cutter: Yeah, I like this. If you're far from a melee range character, start shockwaving him. He'll be forced to approach. It's also good on the edge, since it hits people sitting there waiting for you (though most won't) and can spike edge hoggers if timed well. Just make sure you don't get carried away with this, since you can get hit before you land if you aren't careful, and if you try hitting edge hoggers during the invincibility frames, you will die.
-Dtilt: I've started using this move more and more. It comes out fast, has decent reach, and trips very often, which leads to a free Fsmash. On top of that, it's great out of a Dash Pivot Cancel.
-Grabs: While I saw you tried to get some grabs off, and if I remember correctly you got a few, but you should try to learn the combos Kirby can do from grabs, as Kirby has a beastly grab game.

Right, otherwise, you had some pretty cool combos at some points, like the Dair to Fsmash. I also liked how you mindgamed him into the hammer on what I believe was the second stock (might have been the third.,. I forget).

Anyway, read over that and check out a Kirby guide (or just look at the advice given on other "RATE MY KIRBY" threads. Actually, do both :laugh: ), and you should be whupping that Lucario in no time.

Oh, and one last thing: I don't remember if you did this or not, but since it's a mistake I tend to make often since I rarely play good Lucarios: NEVER approach a Lucario from below. His Dair *****.

Edit: Man, I need to stop making such lengthy critiques... If I were to channel this energy into doing this research paper, it would probably be done by now >.<

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I was thinking about watching and rating, but fromundaman's wall of text scared me away D:

let's hope he caught everything in that huge review, so I don't have anything to add..

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I was thinking about watching and rating, but fromundaman's wall of text scared me away D:

let's hope he caught everything in that huge review, so I don't have anything to add..
Don't be so lazy! You must critique!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
At 1:30 am, this might not be a great critique (and I don't think it is), but here are a few things I noticed:

-Your stone usage was extremely punishable. If that Lucario had been very good, that would've been bad.

-You used throws... 3 times? And they were all f-throws. Throws are a huge part of Kirby game, and really everyone's game.

-You used, one combo (fthrow->hammer)? Try the gonzo combo (youtube it), but a lot of Kirby comboing is just doing it when you see you can
perve

Alright, I'm tired, and that's all for now. Fromundaman's advice is good, listen to it.

By the way, Fromundaman, we should team up and become "The 2 bad Kirby players who tell you what you're doing wrong with your Kirby":).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
By the way, Fromundaman, we should team up and become "The 2 bad Kirby players who tell you what you're doing wrong with your Kirby":).
Just don't tell anyone not to Bair anymore and we're set!

But the real difference is you've publicly shown your Kirby, while I still hide my shame (or rather, had my shame erased by a stupid roommate... ARG! Hopefully I'll get something up one of these days...)

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
I havent read what the others said so if I am repeating something forgive me.

First use you bair alot more and do not use your mallet when your opponent is at low damage unless it is out of the fthrow.

Do not do busy work, meaning do not move or attack unless there is a plan behind it. You can still stir up the mind games but do not let it compromise your victory.

And I would also space better, allow one move to put you another position to attack if it indeed advantagous to do so.

Other than the obvioous just keep playing, reading up on kirby, watch as many videos as possible, and have an overall well rounded life, stay healthy, eat right, excercise, treat people right (you'll be suprised how much external factors can alter your game)

Top Bottom