• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Captain Falcon Please. (NEW VIDEOS *5/19/08*)

Swil

Smash Apprentice
Tell me what you think of my Falcon and give me some tips on improving. The hardest problem I have is finding a reliable way to approach my opponents.

Match 1 (Mario is an extremely hard match up for me.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIsblctIUo

Match 2 (My opponent wasn't exactly at his best here, but I generally have an easy time with Snake though.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk0c6auM3d0

**NEW VIDS**

My Falcon was a little bit rusty, since I have been using Samus alot lately, but I think these are still decent matches.

Match 1 (probably my worst performance overall, since it was my first battle, but I made some nice kills in this fight.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIivKZW1gCs

Match 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzL4egRwWZk

Match 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfLtCKCSOiQ

Match 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fukBtNrwPd8

Match 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9IyLFJgULk

Match 6 (Epic combo starting at 1:50.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2xzMBmSBHw

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I lol'd at the second match.

First match against Mario you handled yourself really well at the start of your third life. Really good combo, which if you had been a little more careful going into that uppercut, could have given you the match. I would avoid using high double jumps off the edge to edgeguard if your opponent still has good options for getting back on the stage. The fact that you're using a double jump already suggests that they do. In these situations, I'd stay low to the ground and tip some flip kicks in their landing zone. You can use your double jump to mind game here as long as you keep yourself relatively low. It's much easier to maintain precision jump spacing when you're close to the ground like that and, against a character whose floaty air moves grate against Falcon's high-speed air style (like Mario here), that's crucial.

Your approach could actually use some more Raptor Boosting, given that your opponent doesn't tend to spot dodge when you're far away from him (in this case, it'd only work when he's standing mid-range away and not spamming fireballs, rare to say the least, but you could still afford a few more raptor boosts). If you're feeling particularly tricky, you could try doing some high-forward-momentum-auto-cancelled dairs to approach Mario. I say this probably because I've been playing Melee Falcon recently though, and that works wonders. Still, you could also afford a few more dairs in your air game as well. It's not as worthwhile as it used to be, but you neglect its existence almost entirely (or so it seems). If you can catch Mario at the right time between fireballs, a well placed jump with a fastfall bair may be your best bet. I wouldn't risk approaching with dair if you can't autocancel it, and I wouldn't nair mario if he's doing the fireball jig. You can actually get through it a bit if you work with your Falcon Kick and Raptor Boosts, though.

Since approaching is easily the hardest part of Falcon's game, I don't blame you for not being able to get through Mario's projectiles. You handled yourself well on the last stock.

And while I admire your many (and sometimes clever) attempts at getting a Falcon Punch. Yeah, it's somewhat viable in rare situations, but you put yourself in the face of a bunch of fireballs with it. That said, lay off the neutral-b a little more.

Your edge game is good. In fact, I'd say that's one of your stronger points. If you can manage to keep your opponents low off the edge, you're in great shape. In Mario's case, lead your hits a bit so that they shoot high in case he tries to out-prioritize with his up+b during your edge guards. You're solid there.

Less F-smash, more D-smash. If you're going to F-smash, get in the habit of stutter stepping it.

Utilt and Dsmash are your friends when doing standing edgeguards.

Don't use the infinite on your jab. Just get to the Gentleman and be done with it. If you accidentally get into the infinite, just let go of A and let the first few punches run and stop, because if you carry it past the initial animation then you're setting yourself up to be punished.

Throw a single jab or double jab when you hit the ground following your opponent to set up stun chains. It helps.

Lastly, I'd like to ask to see your platform game. Both of these matches are on FD, and, imo, Falcon performs best on platforms. His priority lies above him, after all. It will help especially against Mario because you can lead him up and force him to quit spamming fireballs (gravity comes into play here).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Captain Falcon is bad at approaching. There is a reason why it's really hard to approach. You actually want to find a way to approach from the ground with Falcon, because none of his aerial attacks are reliable enough to hit a grounded opponent.

Otherwise you're okay.

Personally me, I'd use the Falcon kick over the Raptor boost in any situation except recovery. Falcon kick is faster, does more damage, and is a little less punishable.

Also...I honestly think the rapid jab combo is one of the better things about Falcon. If it fully connects, you do about 20% to your opponent.

Dunno what else to say at the moment. =/

Swil

Smash Apprentice
I lol'd at the second match.

First match against Mario you handled yourself really well at the start of your third life. Really good combo, which if you had been a little more careful going into that uppercut, could have given you the match. I would avoid using high double jumps off the edge to edgeguard if your opponent still has good options for getting back on the stage. The fact that you're using a double jump already suggests that they do. In these situations, I'd stay low to the ground and tip some flip kicks in their landing zone. You can use your double jump to mind game here as long as you keep yourself relatively low. It's much easier to maintain precision jump spacing when you're close to the ground like that and, against a character whose floaty air moves grate against Falcon's high-speed air style (like Mario here), that's crucial.

Your approach could actually use some more Raptor Boosting, given that your opponent doesn't tend to spot dodge when you're far away from him (in this case, it'd only work when he's standing mid-range away and not spamming fireballs, rare to say the least, but you could still afford a few more raptor boosts). If you're feeling particularly tricky, you could try doing some high-forward-momentum-auto-cancelled dairs to approach Mario. I say this probably because I've been playing Melee Falcon recently though, and that works wonders. Still, you could also afford a few more dairs in your air game as well. It's not as worthwhile as it used to be, but you neglect its existence almost entirely (or so it seems). If you can catch Mario at the right time between fireballs, a well placed jump with a fastfall bair may be your best bet. I wouldn't risk approaching with dair if you can't autocancel it, and I wouldn't nair mario if he's doing the fireball jig. You can actually get through it a bit if you work with your Falcon Kick and Raptor Boosts, though.

Since approaching is easily the hardest part of Falcon's game, I don't blame you for not being able to get through Mario's projectiles. You handled yourself well on the last stock.

And while I admire your many (and sometimes clever) attempts at getting a Falcon Punch. Yeah, it's somewhat viable in rare situations, but you put yourself in the face of a bunch of fireballs with it. That said, lay off the neutral-b a little more.

Your edge game is good. In fact, I'd say that's one of your stronger points. If you can manage to keep your opponents low off the edge, you're in great shape. In Mario's case, lead your hits a bit so that they shoot high in case he tries to out-prioritize with his up+b during your edge guards. You're solid there.

Less F-smash, more D-smash. If you're going to F-smash, get in the habit of stutter stepping it.

Utilt and Dsmash are your friends when doing standing edgeguards.

Don't use the infinite on your jab. Just get to the Gentleman and be done with it. If you accidentally get into the infinite, just let go of A and let the first few punches run and stop, because if you carry it past the initial animation then you're setting yourself up to be punished.

Throw a single jab or double jab when you hit the ground following your opponent to set up stun chains. It helps.

Lastly, I'd like to ask to see your platform game. Both of these matches are on FD, and, imo, Falcon performs best on platforms. His priority lies above him, after all. It will help especially against Mario because you can lead him up and force him to quit spamming fireballs (gravity comes into play here).

Alright, thanks for the advice. I think overall I probably need to work on my ground game, because I feel that is where I am the least effective. I usually never use the infinite jab, but I pulled it on accident and didn't end it fast enough. I usually like to cancel it into a grab or tilt.

More Raptor boosting is something I have always wondered if I should do, but I didn't want to become too predictable with it, but I could probably work more of it into my game.

All the falcon punching at the end was pretty stupid. I was hoping I could get lucky and end the match, because of how much of a pain it is to fight Mario. I probably could have won if I stayed with a less reckless strategy though.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Match 1:

Nice start on the third stock. That's essentially Falcon at his finest in Brawl. Also I like that you went for the YES! combo at around 3:50 (at least you acted like you went for it). I don't think it works at those percents though so just be wary of that. Overall I think you let that one get away from you. After watching it I had the feeling that you should've won the match. You have a nice defensive style which is something I personally could improve a lot on, so good job there. You generally have good strategies and if that one Falcon Punch had hit like it should've (when he was getting up) you would've won by a decent margin. But yeah like A2ZOMG said don't use Raptor Boost really. The new Reverse Raptor Reach AT might help Raptor Boost's usability since the range is better but overall the normal one is definitely not that great of an option. With that said, I still use it in certain situations when I don't feel that getting punished will hurt me THAT much. It's good when it connects but it just doesn't all the time.

Match 2:

You played well regardless of how bad the Snake was. Your strategies were still good and all that so it doesn't really matter what the quality of the opponent was. Also good job for using Dair in one of the few situations where it's really still useful (opponents who are trying to recover with an extremely vertical trajectory).

Overall I'd say you are a good Falcon player. I think you might be able to pull off more Running As and definitely more AAA combos, but other than that your moveset was nice.

By the way I noticed you live in FL. So do I! :D lol Are you going to be attending any of the upcoming tourneys (MLG Orlando maybe?)?

Swil

Smash Apprentice
Match 1:

Nice start on the third stock. That's essentially Falcon at his finest in Brawl. Also I like that you went for the YES! combo at around 3:50 (at least you acted like you went for it). I don't think it works at those percents though so just be wary of that. Overall I think you let that one get away from you. After watching it I had the feeling that you should've won the match. You have a nice defensive style which is something I personally could improve a lot on, so good job there. You generally have good strategies and if that one Falcon Punch had hit like it should've (when he was getting up) you would've won by a decent margin. But yeah like A2ZOMG said don't use Raptor Boost really. The new Reverse Raptor Reach AT might help Raptor Boost's usability since the range is better but overall the normal one is definitely not that great of an option. With that said, I still use it in certain situations when I don't feel that getting punished will hurt me THAT much. It's good when it connects but it just doesn't all the time.

Match 2:

You played well regardless of how bad the Snake was. Your strategies were still good and all that so it doesn't really matter what the quality of the opponent was. Also good job for using Dair in one of the few situations where it's really still useful (opponents who are trying to recover with an extremely vertical trajectory).

Overall I'd say you are a good Falcon player. I think you might be able to pull off more Running As and definitely more AAA combos, but other than that your moveset was nice.

By the way I noticed you live in FL. So do I! :D lol Are you going to be attending any of the upcoming tourneys (MLG Orlando maybe?)?

Thanks for the advice.

I have considered attending some tournies and events. I never got too involved with the tourny scene in melee, but I have been considering doing more in Brawl, and I want to represent for C. Falcon, so you might see me out there.

You can add my FC also, if you want to play on wifi some time.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
UR A NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just Kidding
You were good but your timing needs improvement. I myself never use falcon kick or raptor boost on the ground and I use raptor boost to recover when someone tries to come out and kill me because the raptor boost creates a meteor smash which makes for a good laugh. But other than that use ur ground attacks to go arail (since you said your ground game wasnt great) my favorite combo is dthrow to a dash attack to uairs (this is most affective against those who air gaurd after being thrown because they usually expect the uair right away). One more tip for your ground game try to use more short hop attacks (such as bair and fair and sometimes even dair) this works for me because my ground game S U C Ks. I want have a match with you on wifi so we can go toe to toe capton falcon style and I can show you what I am talking about.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Alright.

First video. General things: I can see that you were intimidated by your opponent, as he was the one who was really controlling the pace of the match. Be defensive when you have to be, but don't surrender control of the game to the opponent right off the bat. Put pressure as you can, don't let the opponent dictate too much what happens and when.

Specific things: Raptor Boost at higher percentages? Go for Falcon Kick instead if you really must, though a dash attack might work best if you can get close enough in time. Too many Falcon Punches, and all missed. Try to limit your use of it to once per game, if you use it at all. Plus, many of the Falcon Punches were executed way too obviously. Try to use it in a situation that it will be totally unexpected or in which your opponent cannot really attack back.

Falcon diving on the ground? I only use it as an edgeguard sort of attack, when the opponent is trying to recover, and doesn't otherwise expect it or thinks they're out of my attack range. Use it only when the opponent is above you, if you must at all. When jabbing, do one or two hits, then try to go for a grab if you can reach, don't do the whole thing. When you do throw, try to use dthrow, the uthrow doesn't really help anything. Also, use more uairs. I don't believe you used too many tilts either, which can help with hitting opponents from further away.

I kind of got the feeling that you either were sort of goofing around that match, or didn't really have a clear idea what you were doing.

Edit:

Second video: Uh, you seemed much more confident about the match at least. Don't depend too much on uthrow. I guess at lower percentages on heavier characters it's alright, but otherwise it'll probably put them too high up to really effectively follow up on.

Swil

Smash Apprentice
Alright.

First video. General things: I can see that you were intimidated by your opponent, as he was the one who was really controlling the pace of the match. Be defensive when you have to be, but don't surrender control of the game to the opponent right off the bat. Put pressure as you can, don't let the opponent dictate too much what happens and when.

Specific things: Raptor Boost at higher percentages? Go for Falcon Kick instead if you really must, though a dash attack might work best if you can get close enough in time. Too many Falcon Punches, and all missed. Try to limit your use of it to once per game, if you use it at all. Plus, many of the Falcon Punches were executed way too obviously. Try to use it in a situation that it will be totally unexpected or in which your opponent cannot really attack back.

Falcon diving on the ground? I only use it as an edgeguard sort of attack, when the opponent is trying to recover, and doesn't otherwise expect it or thinks they're out of my attack range. Use it only when the opponent is above you, if you must at all. When jabbing, do one or two hits, then try to go for a grab if you can reach, don't do the whole thing. When you do throw, try to use dthrow, the uthrow doesn't really help anything. Also, use more uairs. I don't believe you used too many tilts either, which can help with hitting opponents from further away.

I kind of got the feeling that you either were sort of goofing around that match, or didn't really have a clear idea what you were doing.

Edit:

Second video: Uh, you seemed much more confident about the match at least. Don't depend too much on uthrow. I guess at lower percentages on heavier characters it's alright, but otherwise it'll probably put them too high up to really effectively follow up on.

Well I usually pull more tilts and less ridiculous stuff, but Mario for some reason is just a really hard match up for me even compared to some of the bigger threats, not to mention the person I fought against plays a very defensive and campy style with mario, and will try to outprioritize me with tilts when I approach, so I have to work a bit on getting through his defenses.

I will probably put up some more vids soon, because I feel that my Falcon has improved a bit.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Reaver, I think he was trying do the YES! combo (gimp knee into Falcon Dive) so the Falcon Dive on the ground is understandable in that situation. I don't remember if he did it more than once but in that instance it was a good idea that just didn't work because of percentages. Otherwise I agree with you to not use it when on the ground.

Also about the jabs why do you say to not use the entire thing? If you do the initial 3 + the fists of fury for just a second you can pretty safely tack on at least 15%. That's a good amount in my book. But I guess maybe it's because grab + punch + throw = almost as much damage if not the same amount plus better follow-up opportunity. Is that your reasoning? If so I guess I can agree with that then. lol

Swil, I will definitely add you. I am getting my good connection back in the coming days so after that happens I'll definitely play you. Right now it's just horrid though. Also I look forward to seeing more videos of your Falcon.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
It's just that the rapid punching will always lead to the opponent escaping or being able to shield grab you. It's even worse if they manage to get out earlier, since then you'll just be left punching air. The point of the issue, I feel, is that it leads to you getting punished and/or losing control of that moment. The jabs to throw helps keep you in control, and enables for more follow up than the rapid jabbing. So, yeah, that's my reasoning as you already said, Keykid, lol.

Yes combo? Funny as a joke combo, but as a serious maneuver, why not follow up with something else if you do trip them with the gimp knee? Plus, he was trying it on a standing opponent. I guess if you want to use it, try uthrowing and then catching them with it. It might work considering how far away it grabs.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
To the people who recommend that Swil simply use his ground moves to push an opponent into the air, please realize that that is the MAIN PROBLEM with Falcon. His priority lies in the space above him, and he has no consistent method of putting the opponent there. Approach styles vary from matchup to matchup due to their limitedness, thus making combo starters (well, aerial followup starters in this game for lack of combos) even more difficult to manage. All of his options are extremely situational and, against a campy projectile character like Mario, are swiftly put to shame and uselessness. Please, let me know if you can come up with a universal or even relatively reliable ground approach with Falcon, then I might decide to main him again. In the meantime, realize that this is his most serious handicap, and brushing it off simply by saying, "use ground attacks to initiate aerial combat," is overlooking Falcon's greatest detriment. If anything, that deserves the most strategic discussion of all of the things mentioned in this thread. It's a crime to just jump over it like that.

That said, and I don't mean to completely slam the poster above for glancing over the handicap that I just mentioned, let the ground game be an understood and inherent problem in Falcon's style. If you have any specific insights, offer them, cause I sure as hell don't have any and I know the rest of us could use them. But don't just postulate that ground->air comboing can be done easily and give advice based off of that, because that's really not progressing our tactics at all. You can't just skip over the first roadblock and make everything else happen. Let's start from the ground up here (pun not really intended, but duly noted).

And mind, using the Falcon Kick on characters with projectiles is somewhat risky, as you lose a lot of the momentum that would carry you past and space you properly for followups (that is, momentum lost in colliding with projectiles). I like using the Falcon Kick in Brawl, too, and even more so than the Raptor Boost, but both are to be reserved generally for surprise/mix-up approaches. Try to use Falcon Kick when the opponent is at higher percents and Raptor Boost at lower ones, though against ranged opponents I suppose the Kick is really the only viable approach of these two, regardless of current weight.

Oh, and my issue with using the infinite part of the jab combo is that, if let run for too long, you get trapped in this range where they've DI'd out so the hit stun is gone and they're in range to smash you. The fists have incredibly low range for how deep they put you into dangerous territory. I admittedly use the opening part of the infinite sometimes for damage, too, since even doing a jab->throw combo is not a sure-thing if your opponent is on his toes, and I really need to get that extra damage. I tend to not let it get past the very first part of the infinite though. That is guaranteed trouble, no matter how you look at it.

Oh, and as for the few tips on ground game I have, here are some situations I've drafted:

For tall, slower characters, shield grabbing is effective. Shorter ones like Kirby make this tricky, especially on slopes. Also, falling nair->throw or nair->insert followup here chains are good if spaced properly.

For shorter characters, just suicide. This is why I gave up maining Falcon. I try dairs, shieldgrabs, dash attacks, Falcon Kicks, and Raptor Boosters here where I can, but against people like Olimar, the ground matchup here is dismally difficult. I have no advice, just take advantage of any opening you can with any of these moves I mentioned. Judging by your style you know this already though.
I suppose you could technically do a falling RAR or land behind them with a bair too, that is also another workaround I sometimes use. None of these is really that reliable, though.

Dash attack against fast characters that don't expect it. Dash->Utilt sometimes works, Dtilt->spotdodge->throw also works sometimes, somewhat universally (it depends on jumping capabilities, but this generally works. They usually retaliate quickly after the dtilt too, so that's why I spotdodge or at least avoid after the tilt. Your choice).

And that's all I have to offer for tonight. It's sort of convoluted and really lacks any direction, but glean from it what you can. I think I was just rambling for the past 30 minutes, in all honesty.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Uh...what? Where did that rant come from?

Am I wrong in guessing that I somehow inspired it, or at least partly did?

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
No, not you. It was inspired by my being peeved at someone passingly saying that one should use ground attacks to get opponents in the air. It was a big "duh" moment to me and I just sort of went off on it.

Whatever else I could think of that was pertinent to the thread I sort of threw in, stream-of-consciousness style. That might explain the randomness of the better part of the post.

If I offended anyone, that wasn't my intent. I was venting about a pet peeve and I tried to be constructive after it, though I ultimately failed at that.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Oh, no, don't worry about it, man. I just thought that you might've been referring to me when you said "the poster above". No one is going to get offended by such a post, just possibly confused as to where it came from, lol.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
First vid, in order of what I can see: Try not to dodge his attacks by burning jump 2. An air dodge would keep you where you are and you could still be a bit of a threat. Short-hop more. Use the Fsmash way less. At around 80% you should be dash-aing him when you get the chance. When you're recovering, be less predictable. go toward him, then air dodge-di out of the way at the lash second; don't always follow with an attack. You could be stomping him a bit more; that'd pop him up for an attack. Never try and grab more than once. Don't Falcon Punch when your opponent has control over themselves. Less Forward-B, more Down-B. Your second stock is too aggressive and predictable. Third stock is the best; when he's charging up stuff use that time to get behind him or just out of his hitbox. Again, stop Falcon Punching. You could have gone and stomped him out of his recovery, but you were locked into the punch. You basically lost the match because you abused the laggiest moves like FSmash and Punch.

Vid 2: Second half of first stock with Snake is excellent, you tech chased well and grabbed the hell out of him. When you see the Rocket at the ground, smile, jump up, and stomp his head in. fantastic edgeguarding/hogging, you're way better in this matchup.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
It's just that the rapid punching will always lead to the opponent escaping or being able to shield grab you. It's even worse if they manage to get out earlier, since then you'll just be left punching air. The point of the issue, I feel, is that it leads to you getting punished and/or losing control of that moment. The jabs to throw helps keep you in control, and enables for more follow up than the rapid jabbing. So, yeah, that's my reasoning as you already said, Keykid, lol.

Yes combo? Funny as a joke combo, but as a serious maneuver, why not follow up with something else if you do trip them with the gimp knee? Plus, he was trying it on a standing opponent. I guess if you want to use it, try uthrowing and then catching them with it. It might work considering how far away it grabs.
Because you don't know if they're going to trip or not when you land the gimp knee. It is much safer to just assume they won't trip and proceed with the UpB to finish the combo and get a good 27% or whatever it is. There's no followup after the gimp knee that does as much damage or leaves you in as opportune of a followup as the UpB does. As for the standing opponent thing, the YES! combo pretty much only works on grounded foes so of course he would do it when his opponent was standing. Your Uthrow to UpB is another decent option for the UpB integration though, but it is not guaranteed like a YES! combo is (as long as you perform the combo correctly).

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
First vid, in order of what I can see: Try not to dodge his attacks by burning jump 2. An air dodge would keep you where you are and you could still be a bit of a threat. Short-hop more. Use the Fsmash way less. At around 80% you should be dash-aing him when you get the chance. When you're recovering, be less predictable. go toward him, then air dodge-di out of the way at the lash second; don't always follow with an attack. You could be stomping him a bit more; that'd pop him up for an attack. Never try and grab more than once. Don't Falcon Punch when your opponent has control over themselves. Less Forward-B, more Down-B. Your second stock is too aggressive and predictable. Third stock is the best; when he's charging up stuff use that time to get behind him or just out of his hitbox. Again, stop Falcon Punching. You could have gone and stomped him out of his recovery, but you were locked into the punch. You basically lost the match because you abused the laggiest moves like FSmash and Punch.

Vid 2: Second half of first stock with Snake is excellent, you tech chased well and grabbed the hell out of him. When you see the Rocket at the ground, smile, jump up, and stomp his head in. fantastic edgeguarding/hogging, you're way better in this matchup.
I actually find that dodging attacks by means of your second jump is a very effective tactic. It allows you to FF into any aerial to punish their attack. Air dodging leaves you a bit vulnerable because you have to wait for the air dodge to finish and such, thereby wasting the opportunity to punish your opponent's mistake.

Short hop more? And do what? Full hop at least gets you out of your opponents range and allows them to make a mistake which you can then punish with a FF into aerial. And if they don't make a mistake you can double jump away or air dodge to ground or any evasive tactic you can think of. SH into anything is just asking to be shielded or grabbed or worse.

Why Running A at 80%? It's useful at all percents.

Stomp more on the ground? Why? Dair is very punishable and should only be used in certain situations. Outside of this uncommon situations it is useless, both as a spike and as a popup for grounded foes.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
*applauds Avato*

I like your rant. The ground game is indeed the biggest problem for Falcon, and we need to definitely revolve our discussions around finding solutions to all of its problems.

Medic

Smash Cadet
Alright, so, with your match against Mario, you were smart to be cautious, but you need to also approach. Your technical knowledge is shown very well, but you need to press your speed against Mario. DI unexpectedly, and don't let them see your hesitation. Your Ground game is decent, could use some dash attacks and pivot grabs.
Your match against Snake was good, in that you knew what you were doing...I don't think the same goes for Snake. The key to a good Falcon is a strong offense. Don't be afraid of the edges and air- they are your best friends.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I disagree about playing an offensive Falcon. He's a highly defensive character in this game for most matchups. Against players with persistent projectiles (Wolf, Falco, R.O.B., Samus, Pikachu) I can see why he'd have to take the offensive, but against your all-melee players, you're better off looking for an opening or a mistake and capitalizing to get the opponent in the air. Since his approach is so bad, it's best to bait and wait for a misfire. Like playing Falcon vs Marth in Melee, except all the time now.

Medic

Smash Cadet
There is a difference between playing defensive and playing Safe. Now, Falcon is a character you must be safe while playing, but his strength is in his quick offense. He can rack up damage quick, and can execute if a smash is pulled off at the right time (throws are a GOOD thing for Falcon, his grab game is NOT bad.)
Also, Falcon near the edge is a DANGEROUS thing. Up+B is a wicked wicked deceptive tool of mayhem and spiking if used at the correct angle. Even if not a spike, it can rack up damage as one can continuously spam it until the opponent retreats back to the safety of the mainland. Falcon has a mean air game, and his recovery is good enough that he can afford to mess with people off the edges and then come back. Sometimes a Raptor spike can be a surprise win that pushes just enough to take that match.
Defensive Falcon may not be bad, but I have honest belief that a Safe Aggro Falcon is the ideal in Brawl.

Brilliance

Smash Rookie
Hold down the A button to do Falcon single Jab animation over and over, it completely nullifies mario's fireballs, then he'll be forced to approach, and you can go from there. Instead of you constantly having to approach.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess by defensive you could say I meant your definition of safely aggressive. Since the whole aggro-defensive thing is relative to each character's playstyle, here's what I mean:
Falcon can't just play balls-to-the-wall aggressive on the approach. That's just ********. Like I said, looking for an opening is the best option against characters that it's available. A careful approach is fine. Being aggressive once you launch an opponent into the air is also fine, but given hit stun in this game, you can't really play Falcon with his old, rhythmic, 1-2 punch combo rhythm anymore. After launching the opponent in the air, it's necessary to wait for varied lengths of time before following up a launch, or to use spacing mindgames in order to keep them guessing. Again, balls-to-the-wall aggressive air chasing doesn't work here, as they'll be breaking out of hitstun before you can make a proper approach, regardless of what move you used. Air chasing has gotta be a little less mindless these days, which is a little disappointing, but we deal.

I see your point though, Medic.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
i only watched the last match..the one u got chaingrabed to death (ouch)... anyways the only thing i can really say is that you need to FF your arials ill cmment more after watching more.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I'm about to head out to a local tournament here in about 5 minutes, so i only watched your first match against mario.

With that said, i noticed that you have a pretty good defensive style with Falcon...something i think a few people on these boards (including me) could improve on. Overall you used good strategies and it seemed like you were always doing "the right things", if you will.

However, the one thing that bugged me (a few times), is that when you did manage to get mario into the air...you didn't follow. You did a few times, but not as much as (I thought) you should have.

It seemed to me you could have ended that match rather quickly had you pursued your opponent into the air more aggressively. Not super aggressive...Ayato is right about being too aggressive; It's stupid as a falcon player. You need to pick and choose and mindgame a bit, but there were times when you safely could have gone into the air and punished that mario, imo. I know you were trying to grab>dthrow>tech chase and grab again...and at early percents that was working well for you, but even at the mid percents, try and be more aggressive about taking your game into the air.

Maybe it was just that one game where you were more defensive, because like you said, it's a bad matchup for you. If I'm wrong about your playstyle someone correct me...like i said i'm typing this super fast because i gotta go! haha. But overall, nice falcon...i felt like you should have won that match.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I'll keep updating this as I watch more matches:

Last match: Strong performance. You like to ride the Dthrow chains I see (so do I! :)). Good stuff there but you're lucky your opponent fell right into it every time. I'd like to think that most people wouldn't do that after the 15th time. lol But oh well you do what works, right? That's all I look for in a match. Unfortunately it didn't work out in the end but that's for later.

Great "combo" of course at 1:54. That's pretty much as flashy as Falcon gets nowadays so it's nice to see him shine like that.

Don't ledgehop Knee. It's just not worth it.

I found it odd at 1:10 that you didn't grab. I was expecting it the entire time, and then you spot dodged into Dsmash which got pre-empted by his Usmash for the kill. I know it's picky but I don't really understand why you chose to Dsmash there instead of grabbing like you do pretty much every other time. lol

Aerial Falcon Kick at 2:10 seems like a bad choice given the situation. Maybe you were on Wi-Fi so the lag is understandable (I Falcon Kick for no reason and almost/actually kill myself on Wi-Fi). But otherwise I would use Falcon Kick in the air as a last resort. It almost killed you in this instance.

Which leads me to my next thing. You almost get edgehogged a LOT. lol The actual edgehog one (your second death) is understandable because of Falco's Dsmash trajectory (there's not much you can do about that) but in the other instances where you almost get edgehogged it's just simply because you're hanging around below the stage. I guess as long as you make it back keep up the aggressive method but just be careful of that. The third death (edgehog) is just crap anyways so don't worry about that.

Is Falco's Dthrow chain inescapable?

Overall good job even though you lost (in a crap fashion though so it's not as bad lol). I really think you could stand to Running A and AAA combo more. I think I said that the first time you posted videos too but it still remains the same in my mind. Running A is one of the most useful moves in my opinion. I usually throw in a "Dash Dance Running A Series" at least a few times per match, and it always works really well (what I mean is that I dash towards my opponent, Running A, pop them up with it, then dash in the opposite direction to hit them again. Then repeat as long as you can). I dunno, it works for me and you might want to try it out.

But yeah good job, tough ending, and I'm going to watch more pretty soon.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Falco's chaingrab is escapable around 45% on most small/midweight characters. Characters with floaty properties (Peach, Samus, etc) are actually impossible for Falco to chaingrab, given proper DI and counter methods.

I'm very confident that he could have actually escaped that last combo by DI'ing out from the ledge and making the SH Dair spike much more difficult for his opponent. It felt like he was DI'ing inward the whole time, though I know Falco's dthrow has very weak knockback properties.

I don't know so much about what to say. Your platform game is soso. You don't capitalize on your uairs and utilts as much as you could. That's vague, to say the least, but it's all I can come up with.

You make excellent use of the D-smash. Sometimes you go a little overboard, but by and large you made good calls when using it.

I'm not a fan of your knee-happy aerial game. It works on your friend (especially his ROB, which admittedly isn't anything to write home about), but against players who are more familiar with spotdodging and airdodging, it'll get you punished more often than not. Mind, you're going to need to play against someone who makes better use of projectiles if you really want to put your Falcon to the test. That, or a good Olimar/Metaknight. Bim's ROB is all-melee. He hardly uses his projectiles in any of the matches (Less than 10 lasers a match, and I rarely see him dish out the gyro). His Falco's laser game wasn't anything impressive, either. Your game right now is solid, but you're gonna need to find someone who makes it difficult to approach by using projectiles effectively. Bim's style doesn't lend itself to that kind of practice.

Less Raptor Boosting into shields. You'll get your life wrecked every time (you were fortunate Bim wasn't d-smashing you out of his shields when you did this). Also, try to reserve your Falcon Kick for moments of surprise or when you're spaced so that you'll land significantly behind your opponent even if he/she shields.

Also, don't be afraid to Raptor Boost when you're off the edge, in range of the stage, and just a little above the edge, because there were a few opportunities where you could have spiked your friend (he didn't seem too keen on airdodging. Would have learned after a few, but I'm fairly certain you would have been successful. Either way, it wouldn't have hurt you).

Where you might think to short hop knee on the ground, I usually find myself using uair or nair. It's up to you whether or not you want to cut back on the knees, but honestly I find it to be a crap move when your opponent is grounded. Bim just doesn't capitalize on its faults (personally, I find that ROBs wreck my Falcon when I use knees). Really, I'd stay off that thing if I were you. You landed some nice kills with it, but I'm going to blame that in part on your opponent. Not to discount your excellent timing and placement, but generally the ones you landed could have EASILY been avoided.

Good use of jabs to chain stun. Keep him on his toes. Try d-tilts and u-tilts a little more frequently. You're very sparse about how you use them. They're decent leads into the air (albeit you generally have to be close to a ledge to keep them there long enough to follow up).

That's all I've got to say.

Swil

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks for the tips guys. I know my falcon game can use alot of improvement, because I just wasn't feeling it most of the time. I will probably start spending more time on improving my falcon, but after coming off of a character like Samus who is all about playing keep away, my mindset in battle was all over the place in some of those matches lol. Also that falco grab was inescapable from what I tried. I didn't think Falco could chain falcon that long, although maybe I just screwed up, but I was trying to get out of it.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Did you DI left? Increasing the distance as you approach the ledge typically helps you, as Falco's initial dash is pretty crummy and significantly lowers the reach/reaction time of a SH dair. I can think of a few situations where it would hurt, but if you're approaching the 40s in your %, then I suggest di'ing away from the stage.
Or just don't let him get such a crucial grab. That too.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
These matches are local. Notice how he goes straight to the game after picking the stage, not to a lobby. At least, the first new video is local.

W-man

Smash Cadet
Very nice killings at the 5 and 6 matches, when you Falcon Dive them against the edge. After all, he has edgeguarding potential, even after a flubbed knee. Otherwise, I think you can afraid them even more. A knee, an aerial double kick, a Falcon Kick and a Raptor boost, if well mastered and crossed with dash attack and grabs, should mix up into a great manipulating gameplay. Falcon could be the hardest of all characters to master, so don't give him up.
And chain grabs should be banned. you could have beaten Falco in the fifth match ; you were in a good position, but intimidated.

Falcon Punch more to free your sheer power !

W-man

Smash Cadet
Also, I estimate your game, but you really should more jab into combo. That deals a great amout of damage and allows you to chain with another blow, cause they never know exactly when they're off.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
i would try to help you but im better at playing the game than giving advice. the only simple advice i got is when a opponent falls on a pannel try to hit hit him/her befor they get up.use your tilts more and grab.

nice combo btw :pikachu:

Top Bottom