• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Marth*update*

Vashima

Smash Rookie
Don't be afraid to do an up-smash, if up-b becomes predictable.
Tone down on the side smashes, move decay ***** Marth.
Incorporate the Dancing Blade, Shield Breaker, and tilts.

Your Marth's play-style is similar to that of a Melee one.
Work mainly on incorporating more moves in your game.
Using only 3-4 moves in a match will screw your Marth.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Dancing blade and counter more ofter instead of side smashing when your opponent rolls behind you. Try to learn how to spike with marth because it will come in handy for people you have a hard time killing. Not a bad marth tho.

Torn

Smash Cadet
Counter

Your Marth is not bad; you do play kind of like a Melee Marth, you should really watch for openings for your F-smashes and Up+Bs instead of using them when they usually might not hit. The Up+B especially is very punishable; your opponent will look for these vulnerabilities and attack (you kind of got hit alot.)

Your airdodging is very good, but it kind of stopped after you lost your first stock (SD? Try not to do that.) When you stop the airdodging and commence spot-dodging, you could definitely add some defense (and offense) to your game by Countering every once in a while when your opponent thinks you're going to spot-dodge. Don't become predictable and try to use Dancing Blade as a quick punish and a way to avoid damage degradation.

The F-smashing is mostly fine; that's a great move, but it does become a tad predictable. Integrating every move (this is more fundamentals, your advanced game is already very good, the SHFFd fairs were technically proficient) will help your Marth become less easy to punish and less easy to read.

Also, may I ask how you practice? It's very easy to tell you practice alot (you don't just pick up Marth and SHFF fairs) so if we know how you practice, we could tell more about your game and maybe help you improve it.

Also, do you watch many tournament videos of Marth?

Torn

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
your fair auto cancels into your tilts, so use this ability to your advantage.

tilts are much less punishable than the fsmash and work wonders as far as spacing goes. they also help with decay, i noticed your fsmash was very low in hit value in the last stock.

you used the off-ledge bair when he was recovering from below. edgeguarding is situational, you cant do the same guard each time or it becomes very predictable

also, try mixing up your approach, you were verryyyyy aggressive, had he been shieldgrabbing much you would have lost... terriblly. brawl is a much less aggressive game than melee was because it's easier to punish aggression. a smart player will beat an aggressive one any day. (it takes more than just SH airs to win)

overall, you have potential =)

AuraMarth

Smash Apprentice
You use f smash a lot which became a little predictable, don't be afraid to balance in the others like d smash. Practice and balance in Dancing Blade ending with the down stab animation. Also practice edge guarding and holding onto the ledge to gimp their recover.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
You are good. I liked ur SHFFairs, but you may want to use your grabs a bit more. Dont be afraid to try a spike either. Its rare to pull it off, but nothing is more satisfying than ****** some1 with marths epic spike :p

overall, play a bit more defensivley. ^_^

Ced5000

Smash Cadet
thank you for the tips everyone, I will try to incorporate more moves like Dancing blade and tilts into my repertoire

Torn

Smash Cadet

Also, may I ask how you practice? It's very easy to tell you practice alot (you don't just pick up Marth and SHFF fairs) so if we know how you practice, we could tell more about your game and maybe help you improve it.

Also, do you watch many tournament videos of Marth?

Torn
Now I'm really curious; I'm trying to learn more about how most people practice (online, CPUs, Boss Rush etc.) to get a working understanding of how to help people learn better - mind adding to the compendium of knowledge?

Torn

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
I practice online against my friend; he's a somewhat decent competitive smasher (Reflex on Youtube, Bowser player) who's knowledgeable when it comes to Smash. Our lag isn't particularly bad either, but it slows both of us down somewhat. I fight him every once in a while, but until then I improve my technique; Level 3 CPUs for testing and Level 9 CPUs for application.

Ced5000

Smash Cadet
Now I'm really curious; I'm trying to learn more about how most people practice (online, CPUs, Boss Rush etc.) to get a working understanding of how to help people learn better - mind adding to the compendium of knowledge?

Torn
I practice by playing against my brother who's a decent Meta Knight user and against my friend who's a Falcon/ Dedede(the one in the video) user who lives like 10 mins away other than that I try to watch vids and come to these forums to learn tactics, im going to try to start going to tourneys and im trying to find some good brawlers in my area to have more people to practice against

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
I practice online against my friend; he's a somewhat decent competitive smasher (Reflex on Youtube, Bowser player) who's knowledgeable when it comes to Smash. Our lag isn't particularly bad either, but it slows both of us down somewhat. I fight him every once in a while, but until then I improve my technique; Level 3 CPUs for testing and Level 9 CPUs for application.
i think wifi decreases your skill because of the difference in timing.. just my 2 cents

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
I'm the kind of person who gets used to the timing rather easily, although matches with the guy next to you vs the guy a few states away is going to have a bit of a difference.
Although, I get a connection with my friend (decent meta knight) in the UK that's so good it feels like he's next to me.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Good job Ced. You started using the dancing blade to stall your recovery well. Countering was perfect too. My only suggestions are just options. Try and see if you can improve your spacing for the dair. An opportunity to spike someone may come up and you wanna capitalize on it. Use d-tilt as an approach sometimes to counter that "Falcone Kik".

Ced5000

Smash Cadet
Good job Ced. You started using the dancing blade to stall your recovery well. Countering was perfect too. My only suggestions are just options. Try and see if you can improve your spacing for the dair. An opportunity to spike someone may come up and you wanna capitalize on it. Use d-tilt as an approach sometimes to counter that "Falcone Kik".

Thanks for the advice yea I think I need to get better with Marth's spike, I have nt really gotten good with it because I dont try to do it much , ill work on it. And as for D-tilt to counter Falcon kick I dont do it mainly because my friend the falcon I was fighting never used to Falcon kick at all and now he does it pretty often so he kinda catch me off guard have nt gotten used to him using it yet

Top Bottom