• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

rate my olimar

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Nice oli, fun vids. One thing I saw was that you always did the dthrow->usmash-> followup combo. Try mixing it up. Dthrow->fsmash is a good one. Nice olimar :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Dont USmash so much lol. DThrow-> USmash should only be used when DThrow -> FSmash -> regrab -> Tech Chase cant. Which it can on ike. At mid percents (around 50%), after a DThrow, run past and go for a pivot grab every once in awhile. Mix it up. But DThrow -> FSmash is too sexy to not use ;D

FThrow and BThrow should only be used when they're at killing percents (around 120%) AND it's a pikmin that'll kill them without you having to try to edge guard. Not that edge guarding with olimar is impossible... he's just not the character for it. And all you were doing was diminishing your kill throws, making it difficult to get an easy throw kill.

Another thing i noticed was that when the opponent was at killing percents, you spammed your kill moves, making yourself very predictabe (such as in the second video when you began spamming USmash/FSmash. Try to create opening with latch. It would have been easy with the purples you had.

oh, and use FAir more lol. Especially with Yellow/Red.

As for stages (delphino in particular) i cant stress this enough:
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DELPHINO'S PIKMIN CONTROL

lol seriously, if you like blue and yellow? pluck more from the shallow water. Red and yellow? The beach. Purple? the main floating platform. Oh, and olimar can shark under the main platform too. Drop while holding the ledge, UAir your opponent, and your chain will then either pop you above the stage or go horizontal and tether back to the stage.

nice olimar btw! :D

error13

Smash Journeyman
Dont USmash so much lol. DThrow-> USmash should only be used when DThrow -> FSmash -> regrab -> Tech Chase cant. Which it can on ike. At mid percents (around 50%), after a DThrow, run past and go for a pivot grab every once in awhile. Mix it up. But DThrow -> FSmash is too sexy to not use ;D

FThrow and BThrow should only be used when they're at killing percents (around 120%) AND it's a pikmin that'll kill them without you having to try to edge guard. Not that edge guarding with olimar is impossible... he's just not the character for it. And all you were doing was diminishing your kill throws, making it difficult to get an easy throw kill.

Another thing i noticed was that when the opponent was at killing percents, you spammed your kill moves, making yourself very predictabe (such as in the second video when you began spamming USmash/FSmash. Try to create opening with latch. It would have been easy with the purples you had.

oh, and use FAir more lol. Especially with Yellow/Red.

As for stages (delphino in particular) i cant stress this enough:
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DELPHINO'S PIKMIN CONTROL

lol seriously, if you like blue and yellow? pluck more from the shallow water. Red and yellow? The beach. Purple? the main floating platform. Oh, and olimar can shark under the main platform too. Drop while holding the ledge, UAir your opponent, and your chain will then either pop you above the stage or go horizontal and tether back to the stage.

nice olimar btw! :D

thnx u guys this
too i never use
d-throw fsmash
i can't believe i
didnt even know
about its.... how weird

i need to try these
teqs out! =D

geekd

Smash Apprentice
be careful how often you space with rolling -- olimars roll is garbage. Also his upb is amazing on the offensive if you shorthop it (lands lagless). Didn't see any WAC either although i only watched the first and third vids. Oh and pivot grabs are like the olimar mantra. Anyway, you play a good olimar. Just diversify a bit and you'd be great.

Fino

Smash Master
Also his upb is amazing on the offensive if you shorthop it (lands with minimal lag).
*fixed*

A lagless chain landing occurs when you interrupt it by landing right after the attack is done, such as with a platform, or when recovering.

If it were lagless you would be able to attack immediately when landing.

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Agreed^. You've got a solid Olimar. I'd just think more about diminishing your kill attacks, and not being so predictable when it came time to kill. Also, use some different throw combos. Dthrow->upsmash is boring, lol. Try dthrow->fsmash, dthrow->fair, dthrow->?. Make up some. See what works. Also, no offensive upb??? It's a great followup. Try to use it more.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Exactly. It doesn't work on everyone, and some people like to keep their up smashes fresh. Also, fair/fsmash/etc lead to longer combos if tech chased properly...

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Avoid rolling towards your opponent. A good player will be completely unfazed by the maneuver, predict and punish.

error13

Smash Journeyman
so about the up and b
as a move does this really
work i know ive seen some
kills by it in vids but i dunno
if its solid enuff or just kinda
a gimmick ko which pikmin
is strongest at the end

and thnx everyone =D

Cook

Smash Master
so about the up and b
as a move does this really
work i know ive seen some
kills by it in vids but i dunno
if its solid enuff or just kinda
a gimmick ko which pikmin
is strongest at the end

and thnx everyone =D
Why do I get
The feeling that
Your posts
Are verse and not prose?

Anyway, I don't really use up-b as a kill move, just as more of a combo finisher or a surprise every now and then if they're out of range of your aerials. It's pretty easy for opponents to dodge it, so just use it when it won't lag (when you aren't very high off the ground).

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
In general you need to throw more and keep an eye on your line. Olimar can do only do so much with smashes and aerials, so throws are a very important. As for the Pikmin, you need to use the blue pikmin's bthrow and purple's upsmash/upthrow to kill (the white's pummel attack to rack up damage quicker as well).

You have a nice Olimar overall though.

error13

Smash Journeyman
thanks guys i will film
some matches thursday
and pu tthem up friday
using these new teqs =D

Top Bottom