• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RATE! rare footage: 4 ft rat spotted, fighting birds and robots

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
y halo thar

please rate my pikachu

constructive criticism, destructive (?) criticism, feedback, comments, etc... all is welcome

to provide an unbiased sample for critique, i recorded 6 videos nonstop and posted below. i did not select matches where i "owned" or "3-stocked"

enjoy :)

any and all feedback is appreciated

vs falco
r1
r2
r3

vs rob
r1
r2
r3

p.s. i apologize for poor video quality. i don't own a capture card due to hard economic times. :(

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
just from watching the first vid you have a pretty nice pika. you have good DI, and played a bad matchup very nicely. ill add more when i get time to watch the other vids.

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
just from watching the first vid you have a pretty nice pika. you have good DI, and played a bad matchup very nicely. ill add more when i get time to watch the other vids.

sure. looking forward to more feedback

i wanted to quote everyone else but didn't know how :/

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
best way would be to hit the qoute button, copy anda paste it to word or note pad, then copy paste it back. or hit the multi quote button on all the messages, then hit quote on one more and it will take you there. i will start watching the others now. and as 5ive said that edgegaurd against the falco int he first match was.......epic

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Duuuuude! 170% against Rob? Was that you being awesome at surviving or Rob's moves getting stale? I usually die at around 150ish at the max.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Very nice... I esp. liked the matches vs. ROB.... I have such an impossibly hard time w/ that matchup, it's nice to know that it's possible to own that freakin' robot.

Everyone said it already, but your edgeguarding against the bird was impressive.

Also, way to say no to the chaingrab > spike, lol.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
Good pika.

Only thing I would say is you whiff way too many moves in mid range, especially when you're trying to punish. This should improve naturally over time. Try getting a mid range counter into muscle memory (either dash grab or sh fair) in addition to your short range ones (grabs, dtilt)

Zylar

Smash Ace
Don't get grabbed, LOL!

Man in the second Rob vid the three consecutive thunders on Rob was nice.

Umm, critisim? How about thundering offstage so that it hits you, rather than reverse thunder. That's more of a preference of mine, so whatever.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
I watched it yesterday and wanted to say something, but was too lazy. Now i dont remember what i was gonna say...

Ill edit this post when i look at it tomorrow.

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
you have a very nice pika. there is not much i can comment on other then small things. do you play online by any chance?

EDIT: he has some good DI lol
unfortunately, i don't play online. the minute lag ruins the timing on my moves and i end up playing horribly

hint for self as well as others - things i noticed while watching some of my own vids:

-don't fail at QAC - doing so is extremely punishable. i notice that i fail QAC when my quick attack hits the opponent and causes dmg. as noted in numerous threads, the timing for QAC is different when u hit/don't hit the opponent.

-fail at grabbing - missing grabs is easily punishable since pika's rolling animation takes forever to finish lol. u sometimes see me doing AAA combo - i don't mean to do it most of the times. i'm trying to do jab grabs but, of course, pikachu can't do that :p

-do thunder jolts out of QAC that don't leave me in vulnerable positions. maybe i should t-jolt backwards rather than landing forward wrt to opponent

-work on thunder wall - i have trouble doing this so i should probably work on it over winter break

character-specific
-falco - need better spacing. there was a point where i got hit by falco's f-smash and i was positive i was at a safe spot. need to see how far falco's f-smash is and adjust spacing accordingly. it's easy to say, "don't get chaingrab" but it's difficult against a falco player.

-rob - i really hate playing against rob players. to me, rob is the brawl version of marth from melee. its tilts have huge range. therefore, i should work on spacing and SPAM SPAM SPAM t-jolts. also, GYRO is always followed by LASERS. always lol

anyone see anything else?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
-rob - i really hate playing against rob players. to me, rob is the brawl version of marth from melee. its tilts have huge range. therefore, i should work on spacing and SPAM SPAM SPAM t-jolts. also, GYRO is always followed by LASERS. always lol
Eh, spamming jolts on ROB doesn't really do much from my experience... his tilts cancel them, and he can spam us back... his projectiles are better, and he has two of them. Or he can hang on the opposite ledge and laser laser laser. ROBs are very good at forcing approaches. :(

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Your Pikachu technical skill is definitely above par. You seem to know what you're doing with Pikachu but your playstyle is still somewhat reckless.
Don't approach him every time. Force approaches close to half the time.
Trust me, I used to play as aggressively as you and had to change up my playstyle dramatically for tournaments...

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
Your Pikachu technical skill is definitely above par. You seem to know what you're doing with Pikachu but your playstyle is still somewhat reckless.
Don't approach him every time. Force approaches close to half the time.
Trust me, I used to play as aggressively as you and had to change up my playstyle dramatically for tournaments...
ah yes i see what u mean

i blame my aggressive approaches due to melee. although i never got into melee as much as i did for brawl, playing aggressively in melee had far fewer consequences due to l-canceling. so yes, you're right, i need to slow down and approach with caution.

in addition, i'm not saying melee is bad at all. short hopping and good DI were essentially in melee since you couldn't air dodge multiple times like nowadays. therefore, the melee experience "carried" over to brawl. :)

neji32

Smash Lord
Eh, spamming jolts on ROB doesn't really do much from my experience... his tilts cancel them, and he can spam us back... his projectiles are better, and he has two of them. Or he can hang on the opposite ledge and laser laser laser. ROBs are very good at forcing approaches. :(
thats when you know hes vulnerable, keep spaming the tjoltw, if hes on the ledge thats your time to move in a little to shoot my jolts then back up and shoot more, it makes an inconsistant flow of jolts that will start to hit him and you just get closer and closer then try not to do the predictable attack and punish him if he trys to do anything. if you got him in the air, quickly Uair cause his nair is slow and if you hesitate it will hit you

EDIT" sorry off topic, im in school and you cant watch youtube in school =p

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
thats when you know hes vulnerable, keep spaming the tjoltw, if hes on the ledge thats your time to move in a little to shoot my jolts then back up and shoot more, it makes an inconsistant flow of jolts that will start to hit him and you just get closer and closer then try not to do the predictable attack and punish him if he trys to do anything. if you got him in the air, quickly Uair cause his nair is slow and if you hesitate it will hit you
Well, my point was more that you'll still be forced to approach eventually. Usually when you spam t-jolts, the point is to annoy the opponent until they come towards you (unless they want to stand there powershielding/tilting all day) so you can anticipate and punish their approach.

This doesn't work on ROB because he has better projectiles, and in a spam war, spammy ROB > spammy Pika. Unless you approach fairly soon, best believe you'll be eating more damage than he will.

ON-TOPIC - steve, I forgot to mention.... you can d-air out of Falco's CG. I checked the Falco boards to confirm it, and you can apparently do it after 27%. I've pulled it off before.... only the ground-impact hitbox will come out, but it'll knock Falco back far enough to recover and shield/dodge/attack if he comes back at you.

Plus it's better than getting spiked, hehe.

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
ON-TOPIC - steve, I forgot to mention.... you can d-air out of Falco's CG. I checked the Falco boards to confirm it, and you can apparently do it after 27%. I've pulled it off before.... only the ground-impact hitbox will come out, but it'll knock Falco back far enough to recover and shield/dodge/attack if he comes back at you.

Plus it's better than getting spiked, hehe.
hmm i didn't know that. i'll give it a try next saturday. ty for the tip.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Wait pika's dair can stop falco's cg? Umm. HELL YEA! I already can space myself well against falco. It's the **** cg that pisses me off. I did not know pika could dair out of it.

Top Bottom