• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I don't think actually being played on the radio is a necessary requirement to qualify as mainstream rock... it's not about the popularity, but the attempt to appeal to a wide audience.

Which usually tends to not appeal to me at all. (Evanescence are kinda fine, actually. At least some of their songs, and I need to be in the right mood)

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
actually, i really contend that point. evanescence is absolutely pop music. it's mainstream rock that is created to play on the radio. evanescence is more similar to kelly clarkson than they are most "real" rock bands.

anyway, apologies for the derail
It's not pop at all! O.o Being on the radio =/= Pop.

Anyway, I'm not saying it would be a rule, just something to mix things up here and there.

And by the way, I'm not the only one playing the same genre over and over. I got tired of rating metal songs every 5 mins. >.>

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Evanescence are one of those bands that are really really close to pop. They're like mumford and sons in that sense.

Also time to go and rate the last song.

The first time I heard this song, I hated it. It sounded very bland and not catchy. After listening to it a few more times this past week, it sounds decent.
I really hate the part "so I'm putting my defenses up, cause I don't want to fall in love". Other than that, the chorus is catchy. The verses sound like verses I can hear in any pop song, but I don't mind.
6.5/10
Pretty good. Stuff like 2:40 with the guitar and atmospherics synth parts were really cool. Same with that synth outro. I felt like the lead synth could get really annoying at times. Overall though, it's pretty good. 4/5

Igorrr- Tendon

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Evanescence are one of those bands that are really really close to pop. They're like mumford and sons in that sense.

Also time to go and rate the last song.

Pretty good. Stuff like 2:40 with the guitar and atmospherics synth parts were really cool. Same with that synth outro. I felt like the lead synth could get really annoying at times. Overall though, it's pretty good. 4/5

Igorrr- Tendon
I liked the beginning portion where it sort of has a Latino vibe to the song. However, when it dives into a repetitive metal fest, I feel like the change is a bit too dramatic for a song like this. This song essentially has three stages to it, and when it is having its slow moments or "Latino" phase, I can dig that completely. The last minute...I want to say that violin sounds way off, but I'm no expert on those. I think he was sort of going for the "crazy circus" theme the whole song, but given the song title...I wonder if it's meant to represent something a bit more gruesome.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Yellowcard - Telescope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQDGRByvasA

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Totally not what I was expecting. I'm not super familiar with Yellowcard because I always associated them, and the few songs I'd randomly hear on the radio, with the pop punk scene, but not the good pop punk scene if that makes sense. More Good Charlotte than anything you'd find on Lookout! Records or the like. With that said, no punk to be found here. This is more like late 90s alt-poppy sort of stuff. It actually reminds me a lot of Tonic, only not as good. It's not bad, and the fact that I was a bit surprised adds a bit to it, but being not bad is merely being not bad. It's vanilla, not that that is a bad thing - I just wish it had more flavor is all. 3/5 but I could see me getting into it a bit more if the violin was more pronounced.

Tiamat - Vote For Love

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Tiamat - Vote For Love
I like the intro a lot. I don't really like the vocals in the chorus, I prefer normal vocals, but it doesn't make it a bad song and it's still a good chours. I didn't like the bridge, it was a little bland, but I liked the instrumental after it.
I will definitely listen to this song again.
4.5/5

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I like the intro a lot. I don't really like the vocals in the chorus, I prefer normal vocals, but it doesn't make it a bad song and it's still a good chours. I didn't like the bridge, it was a little bland, but I liked the instrumental after it.
I will definitely listen to this song again.
4.5/5
Good singing voice, but at times she strains herself at times. Mainly, I think she just struggled with that specific style of singing in the verses. The background beat is pretty generic, with nothing special going on. Lyrics are not bad, but not great either. I struggled a bit listening to this song, while actively paying attention to it. It just comes off as too repetitive and dull, despite the song having plenty of energy. It's fine to listen to in situations when you're not paying much attention to it.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Jimmy Eat World - Lucky Feeling

Posting a bunch of videos on one page is causing my computer to lag xP.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I think only 2 of Evanescence's songs were on the radio.
Bring Me To Life, Going Under, My Immortal, Call Me When Your Sober, What You Want, and several others were on the radio. And I'm not even from their area.

Threads like this are more for music that isn't on the radio at all. Stuff that people wouldn't get the chance to listen to normally, but deserves to be heard.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The thread is called "Rate The Song Posted Above". Far as I see, it doesn't say or imply anything about leaning towards the fact this "thread should be for music that isn't on the radio at all."

It's one thing if you don't like the music. It's also another if that song happens to play on the radio. However, we're not going to change anyone's musical tastes dramatically. If someone is into the mainstream music, and they want people to rate it, by all means, go ahead. It sure would help if there was some diversity rather than the same two or three artists coming from one poster over and over. Maybe you really like that one song, and want to see what others think about it. At the same time, understand that you might be overdoing by posting the same types over and over. So just pick two or three songs from an artist you really like and don't come back to them for a while. I'd rather hear a Demi Lovato song that isn't played on the radio rather than something I hear all the time (Heart Attack for example).

Bottom line: Post what you want, but also take into consideration that you might be posting that same material a bit too much, and might want to change directions.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Obscurity isn't the right word for it. That thought more so came from my ultimate hatred towards modern radio, and my opinion that they play the same recycled sound over and over again. I'm just more so curious to hear new musical ideas, and threads like this and the metal thread have been good to me in the past for such things. I'd rather not lose that feeling of varieties of new and interesting musical ideas to recycled riffs, lack of talent, or lack of using one's talent to full potential. :(

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I hated the lyrics. They did not make sense. I don't mind if a song's lyrics dont make sense if they have a good rhyming pattern or have a theme, but this song didn't have either. And the vocals were very unclear so I wouldn't know what they were if the video didn't have them. The instrumental was good, but the terrible lyrics and vocals distracted me from it.
1/5

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Eh. The string into was good. However, the synth parts felt incredibly unmemorable (it doesn't help that they sounded exactly like the last song that I reviewed). There were also little memorable dynamics. 1.5/5

Gila- Black Kettle's Ballad

Snu?

Smash Rookie
I'm a big classic prog fan. Can't believe I've never heard of Gila before. I'll have to check them out. (4/5)

It's a very unexpected and pleasant surprise to discover good music on Smashboards. When I opened this thread I thought I was just going to see a bunch of garbage. Thanks Dark Horse for proving me wrong.

Going to dip back into a little bit more of a pop oriented vibe though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Hy6kp5kIs
Listen for the key change and the amazing ending. Don't skip anything if you want the full experience ;)

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I'm a big classic prog fan. Can't believe I've never heard of Gila before. I'll have to check them out. (4/5)

It's a very unexpected and pleasant surprise to discover good music on Smashboards. When I opened this thread I thought I was just going to see a bunch of garbage. Thanks Dark Horse for proving me wrong.

Going to dip back into a little bit more of a pop oriented vibe though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Hy6kp5kIs
Listen for the key change and the amazing ending. Don't skip anything if you want the full experience ;)
Oooh, I like this quite a bit, it's got a nice mellow vibe to it. I'm not too big a fan of his falsetto at certain points, mostly because I don't think the song really needs those higher notes (except at the end, that was pretty hot). Aside from that, not bad lyrical content, good instrumentation, and flow was good.

8.5/10 I'm gonna look into this guy! :D

My song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJG26QHtSSk
Glass Cloud - She Is Well and Nothing Can Be ill.

Snu?

Smash Rookie
Oooh, I like this quite a bit, it's got a nice mellow vibe to it. I'm not too big a fan of his falsetto at certain points, mostly because I don't think the song really needs those higher notes (except at the end, that was pretty hot). Aside from that, not bad lyrical content, good instrumentation, and flow was good.

8.5/10 I'm gonna look into this guy! :D

My song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJG26QHtSSk
Glass Cloud - She Is Well and Nothing Can Be ill.
I can tell by the few posts that I checked out that you're into super energetic music (hardcore, power-pop/punk pop, metal, etc). You would get along great with the bassist of my band. He's also into really upbeat dance-rock.

Shreiking, screaming, yelling, whatever you want to call it is not something I want to hear consistently throughout a song. Not my cup of tea, but I can definitely appreciate some the instrumental talent and some of the arrangement. My rating: 5/10.

Personally, I really dig the part where Allen Stone goes into falsetto in that song. It blows me away every time. (And I'm seeing him in Toronto this summer, YEAH! So good live.) But that's just my opinion. Anyways, I'm going to continue my trend of songs with falsetto. I'm not a big fan of how it's used in this tune, but this one just makes me happy whenever I listen to it... though I haven't really paid any attention to the lyrics haha. Love the instrumentation though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I can tell by the few posts that I checked out that you're into super energetic music (hardcore, power-pop/punk pop, metal, etc). You would get along great with the bassist of my band. He's also into really upbeat dance-rock.

Shreiking, screaming, yelling, whatever you want to call it is not something I want to hear consistently throughout a song. Not my cup of tea, but I can definitely appreciate some the instrumental talent and some of the arrangement. My rating: 5/10.

Personally, I really dig the part where Allen Stone goes into falsetto in that song. It blows me away every time. (And I'm seeing him in Toronto this summer, YEAH! So good live.) But that's just my opinion. Anyways, I'm going to continue my trend of songs with falsetto. I'm not a big fan of how it's used in this tune, but this one just makes me happy whenever I listen to it... though I haven't really paid any attention to the lyrics haha. Love the instrumentation though.

I like the Full House themed casting text. As far as the song goes, it didn't really keep my interest per say. I felt like it got a bit redundant as the song went on. Mainly because it didn't feel like the lead singer changed his range or style much, and the background instruments seemed to stay the same as well. The lyrics were a positive though. It's just hard to pay attention to them, when the singer's voice isn't appealing. Not bad, just not appealing IMO.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Acceptance - Take Cover (Acoustic)

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I like the Full House themed casting text. As far as the song goes, it didn't really keep my interest per say. I felt like it got a bit redundant as the song went on. Mainly because it didn't feel like the lead singer changed his range or style much, and the background instruments seemed to stay the same as well. The lyrics were a positive though. It's just hard to pay attention to them, when the singer's voice isn't appealing. Not bad, just not appealing IMO.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Acceptance - Take Cover (Acoustic)
Boy, do I miss this band. Their song Permanent was one of my favorite gaming songs way back. Lyrically, the song is very good. I love this guy's voice too. The guitars aren't anything too special, but they get the job done.

7/10 R.I.P. Acceptance. :'(

My song: Bodyjar - Not The Same

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Fun! Positive upbeat sound and lyrics, great song to listen to when you're out having fun. :3
The music video is also kinda neat. These are the types of bands I like, the fun and upbeat ones.

Never heard of them, but I like them! I need to look into them o:

D: it ended *replay*

5/5

Barlow Girl - Song For The Broken

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Barlow Girl - Song For The Broken
It sounds like this band tried very very hard to be like Evanescence, but they are not even close to as good as Evanescence. I really didn't like any part of this song.
0/5

theeboredone

Smash Legend
-Le Song-
Couple of things. I liked the very beginning of this song. His voice flowed really nicely in regards to how he sung the words. It had a nice rhythm going for it and I really liked the lyrics. They had a certain mystery to them, while still easy to understand. Then the chorus came, and I was turned off for a few reasons.

1. It sounds just like Bieber's Beauty and The Beat chorus. This song even has a "interlude" after the chorus.
2. Doesn't really match the first verse.

Also, the lyrics went to hell after that. From that mysterious, yet "I understand" feeling...they just became too simple. Like he stopped trying. The rest of the song sort of lost its edge in the process.

Edit: Fun fact, decided to google if anyone thought the way I did about it sounding a bit like Beauty and the Beat. Turns out Zedd produced that song.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Mark Willot - Chess

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I loved the beginning, but then it got extremely repetitive after that. The melody just became so annoying to listen since It kept repeating. Also, I think once the drum beat came in, It didn't change at all the rest of the song. The ending note was good.

2/10

I found out about this song from Raptor

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Haha, randomly felt like actually joining in here... and well, after that kinda indie-pop lofi opening I really didn't expect what was going to happen... I soooo enjoy weird mixes of genres like this one. The screamy parts in conjunction with the incredibly happy doo-doo-doo make this really amazing to me, I'll certainly check out more of those guys.
Minor nitpicking: I kinda feel like the transitions could be a bit better. To me it feels like the different parts do work together, but not really like they SHOULD be together, and other things wouldn't work as well.
Still thoroughly enjoyed it, giving it a 9.5/10 :)

Pretty graphics to go along with the song, in case the listener is interested in that sort of thing ;)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Pretty graphics to go along with the song, in case the listener is interested in that sort of thing ;)[/quote]

It's appropriate that graphics are accompanying the music, because I feel like this is just much more appropriate as background music. I went into a new tab and did something else while I was listening and genuinely forgot to pay attention to the music because there was such little variation throughout. It's a pretty typical build in the beginning and I didn't dislike the beat that comes at the drop but I dunno, it's just really generic.
After watching so many anime intros, I may be biased against Japanese lyrics, but I suppose it's not fair to assume they'd be overly silly if I knew what was even being said. Because I didn't, it's the quality of the actual vocal performance that would be driving the song. But she sounds exactly like every other female vocal from an anime I've ever heard.

Yeah. Pretty generic and honestly goes on for too long. This song would be great for a club or something but I'm in my boxers at my computer and can do nothing but listen.
Thus: :urg: [ :ohwell: ] :) :bee: :awesome:

Ween - Don't S*** Where You Eat

Hi again btw, y'all. Haven't contributed in a while.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
BlueXenon, I genuinely have to ask you this. The two instrumental pieces I've posted, you've canned both of them, citing them to be "repetitive". You do understand that is how most instrumentals are composed right? And you do understand that 99% of the songs posted hear, without anyone singing would end up sounding "repetitive" as well, right? I understand vocals can stray your attention away from what's going on in the background, but I have to ask if there is any instrumentals that you like?

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Ween - Don't S*** Where You Eat

Hi again btw, y'all. Haven't contributed in a while.
This song has a nice mellow feel to it. That is, until the guitar with the effects pedal comes in and ruins the feel completely with its loud contrasting solo. It could just be my taste saying this, but why couldn't that solo have been done without so much reverb, or better yet, with another acoustic guitar? Aside from that, not a bad song, especially considering I'm NOT a fan of Ween at all. XD

5/10

My song: Follow The White Rabbit - All Night And Day
I'm still so sad this band broke up. :'(

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
BlueXenon, I genuinely have to ask you this. The two instrumental pieces I've posted, you've canned both of them, citing them to be "repetitive". You do understand that is how most instrumentals are composed right? And you do understand that 99% of the songs posted hear, without anyone singing would end up sounding "repetitive" as well, right? I understand vocals can stray your attention away from what's going on in the background, but I have to ask if there are any instrumentals that you like?
I do listen to songs with out vocals all the time, and I posted some of them here.
Here are some songs I like:
Dj Contacreast - The Sea
Waterflame - Ambition
Syphonmax - The Place of Dreams

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
This song has a nice mellow feel to it. That is, until the guitar with the effects pedal comes in and ruins the feel completely with its loud contrasting solo. It could just be my taste saying this, but why couldn't that solo have been done without so much reverb, or better yet, with another acoustic guitar? Aside from that, not a bad song, especially considering I'm NOT a fan of Ween at all. XD

5/10

My song: Follow The White Rabbit - All Night And Day
I'm still so sad this band broke up. :'(
Hot damn this was excellent. The vocals are fantastic, and the instrumental work is amazing. Probably one of the coolest things i've listened to latley 5/5

The Knife- A tooth for an eye

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Hot damn this was excellent. The vocals are fantastic, and the instrumental work is amazing. Probably one of the coolest things i've listened to latley 5/5

The Knife- A tooth for an eye
Love the instrumental aspect of this song, very nice tribal feel to it. His vocals seem a bit too whiny to pull off the sound, though. In addition, I'd have been using lower notes in general, it makes more sense with the other instruments. It's like a weaker, minimalist version of a Talking Heads song.

6/10

My song (since we're on the topic of instrumentals): Thursday - In Silence

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
My song (since we're on the topic of instrumentals): Thursday - In Silence
I enjoyed the whole song. I loved the piano part in the middle and I thought it was very necessary to keep the song from being repetitive. The only problem I had with this song is that I have to pay full attention to it to enjoy it. I dont think it's a song I can enjoy while doing other things, like reading smashboards threads.
5/5

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I enjoyed the whole song. I loved the piano part in the middle and I thought it was very necessary to keep the song from being repetitive. The only problem I had with this song is that I have to pay full attention to it to enjoy it. I dont think it's a song I can enjoy while doing other things, like reading smashboards threads.
5/5
That voice is sullllllltry. I'm really enjoying the intro with the harp strums. Then when :30 comes it transitions into the high energy portion really smoothly. Those drums are booming and grandiose! She really belts it, too. I'm in love with those layered vocals.

Not too complicated of a song, but all the pieces came together really really well. Didn't go on for too long. There was no part that I didn't enjoy hearing.
It made my face do this: :urg: :ohwell: :) :bee: [ :awesome: ]
Good post, blue

The Cave Singers - Dancing On Our Graves

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
That voice is sullllllltry. I'm really enjoying the intro with the harp strums. Then when :30 comes it transitions into the high energy portion really smoothly. Those drums are booming and grandiose! She really belts it, too. I'm in love with those layered vocals.

Not too complicated of a song, but all the pieces came together really really well. Didn't go on for too long. There was no part that I didn't enjoy hearing.
It made my face do this: :urg: :ohwell: :) :bee: [ :awesome: ]
Good post, blue

The Cave Singers - Dancing On Our Graves

Love the beat in the beginning, I'm a sucker for exotic percussion, and this really hits home for me. The singer could be better, he's not really too easy to understand. The guitar is catchy as all hell, and..... wait..... is he strumming with a stump? O_o. Damn! Well done, good sir.

7.5/10, would listen to again.

My song: The Dillinger Escape Plan - When I Lost My Bet

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Love the beat in the beginning, I'm a sucker for exotic percussion, and this really hits home for me. The singer could be better, he's not really too easy to understand. The guitar is catchy as all hell, and..... wait..... is he strumming with a stump? O_o. Damn! Well done, good sir.

7.5/10, would listen to again.

My song: The Dillinger Escape Plan - When I Lost My Bet
wont turn down the chance to review a song i really love!!

the dynamics in this song are absolutely bonkers. i know the spastic stop-start guitars are a huge thing in this kind of music nowadays, but few do it as well as Dillinger. the drum and bass interlude with the ranting vocals are brilliant and the next riff out of that is a punch in the face.

i love the little chime bell that sneaks its way under the crazy guitar runs starting at 1:24

then finally the song comes to its "chorus" which is about as catchy as it can be considering there's no clean singing

1:53 is my favorite part of the song. it's amazing what a tiny bit of silence can bring to a song.

i'm not crazy about the rock n roll vocals at parts (my main complaint about this band in general)

was not expecting the song to return to the opening again, but it works insanely well and leads into a sickly weird guitar solo and another interesting repetition of the chorus.

its hard to describe songs like these and why i like/dislike the sounds within, but this is one of my favorite DEP songs in a long while. they're at prime form here and while it's not anything insanely different for the band, the structure and timbre of their sound is more perfect than ever

4.8/5

Xiu Xiu "I luv the valley OH!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEW5U3-h5n0

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
At first it was actually kind of charming. Then there's that one little rising tone at :40 that everyone knows is supposed to precede a "drop." It did, and the rest of the song proceeds just like how all other house/dance/whatever proceeds.
There are a lot of things going on. It doesn't quite get "messy" per se, but with all those tones coming at me, I would have liked at least one of them to be an earworm of a riff or maybe some kind of transition in the song that shows a little bit of experimentation. If you did in fact make this, I would basically tell you to try moving out of your comfort zone and try to experiment a little because this was super generic.
:urg: [ :ohwell: ] :) :bee: :awesome:

Because I'm a stan
QOTSA - I Appear Missing

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
At first it was actually kind of charming. Then there's that one little rising tone at :40 that everyone knows is supposed to precede a "drop." It did, and the rest of the song proceeds just like how all other house/dance/whatever proceeds.
There are a lot of things going on. It doesn't quite get "messy" per se, but with all those tones coming at me, I would have liked at least one of them to be an earworm of a riff or maybe some kind of transition in the song that shows a little bit of experimentation. If you did in fact make this, I would basically tell you to try moving out of your comfort zone and try to experiment a little because this was super generic.
:urg: [ :ohwell: ] :) :bee: :awesome:

Because I'm a stan
QOTSA - I Appear Missing

Definitely an interesting riff, I like it. They did a good job with making it eerie, and it gave them an almost Alice In Chains-y feel, without as much distortion. I like the lyrical theme too. The song did seem to end a bit early, though. It didn't really feel like it succeeded in revving up to a solid climactic section, it was just build up and end.

6/10, if it had another minute to it, it could've been a 10/10.

My song: Deftones - Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)

Top Bottom