• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances (of Returning) - Day 6 - Mewtwo

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Who is Mike Jones?

A) A really, REALLY bad, un-talented rapper

B) A really, REALLY cool character from the even cooler NES games Star Tropics and Star Tropics II

I give Mike Jones a 75%

I don't see it happening, especially because the orignal game wasn't in Japan. It would be an interesting character and he is slightly popular (at least on the internet.)
Ironically, the game was made exclusivley in Japan.

Nominate Pac-Man X 5

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Star Tropics was awesome. Cult classic where it was released but not being released in Japan could hurt his chances...Thirty-five percent.

Three for Crono and two for Lucas.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
He did it to get it out of the way, no reason to get mad at it. =\ It's just a video game character, like how that one guy *****ed about Bowser jr. being called Baby Bowser, lmfao.

The character is fairly obscure anyway. o.O;
Check the Mike Jones character thread sometime and you'll see why I'm so annoyed by that joke... to me, it has the same effect as that bogus Ridley, Bowser Jr., and Celda in SSBB rumor...

At any rate, while the Star Tropics series may have not been released in Japan, it WAS developed there - so while the general Japanese populace may not know of it, NOJ does. More importantly, Masahiro Sakurai is said to be good friends with Genyo Takeda, the director of Nintendo Integrated Research & Development (IRD) - the team behind both Star Tropics and the popular Punch-Out!! series (note the similar art styles of the games). Mr. Sakurai also said that he wanted to include more characters from international releases - what he exactly meant by that is anyone's guess, but I'm willing to bet that he is more than willing to look at Nintendo series released outside of Japan in order to paint a broader mural of Nintendo's worldwide legacy. Also, the fact it wasn't previously released in Japan is by no means a reason to bar the character from entering... After all, Marth and Roy were included in Melee despite the fact that the Fire Emblem series was not released outside of Japan and was, in fact, the impetus for the series going international - could not the inverse also happen? The series also retains a cult following nearly on par with that of Kid Icarus (prior to the flood of 'fans' following Brawl's E3 2006 trailer, that is...). With all of this in perspective, I give my boy Mike J. a (slightly biased, I'll admit) 95% chance of making the cut.

Here's a nifty little video made by SHINIGAMIHEDGEHOG to demonstrate just how awesome his inclusion would be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcBTznBH_s

And now for nominations: All of mine go toward R.O.B. the robot.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
^^ Yeah, I guess it was best to get it out of the way early on. Unfortunately, the guys most likely to post that don't even bother reading earlier posts (or even the first post for that matter) half the time to get the hint and end up regurgitating it anyway...
*sigh* Oh well... I appreciate the effort at least, but n00bs will be n00bs, amirite?

parrothead

Smash Lord
It's bad for Japan to not get StarTropics, but it's good for Europe to get it. Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II was only released in America, probably because StarTropics 1 didn't sell well.

Hey, StarTropics wasn't the only Nintendo title released in only two countries/continents.

Custom Robo (GameCube version; a.k.a. "Custom Robo: Battle Revolution")
Custom Robo Arena
Gumshoe
Kuru Kuru Kururin (except for its sequels)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound
Devil World
Doshin the Giant (GameCube version)
Balloon Kid / Balloon Fight GB (Balloon Kid is an American-exclusive, while Balloon Fight GB is a Japanese-exclusive)

That's about all I could think of.

Here is a video I made that shows StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II in action.

And I'm giving Mike Jones 50%

Nominate DeMille (from Tomato Adventure) x5

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mike Jones: Good character, but there are soooo many other characters that are more desired for SSBB. Like the idea but I doubt he'll get in, so I'll give him a very fair 18%.

Support Dark samus!!
Nominates dark samus x5
What Dark Samus hasn't made it yet, I would have never guessed! I'm with you on this one Stryks, I vote Dark Samus 5x! Vote Dark Samus people!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
You guys give FAR too little credit to the best known Western exclusive Nintendo character - for incredibly stupid reasons like "never heard of him" or "not mainstream enough" - if Sakurai was going only for mainstream characters, we would have never gotten Ness, Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, or Mr. Game & Watch. Even if he doesn't really register with today's crowd, I assure you that many of us from the late NES/early SNES days remember him quite fondly.And for those who haven't heard of him, FDL has provided a wikipedia link in his first post for Christ's sake... It never hurts to "learn" every now and then, now does it?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
You guys give FAR too little credit to the best known Western exclusive Nintendo character - for incredibly stupid reasons like "never heard of him" or "not mainstream enough" - if Sakurai was going only for mainstream characters, we would have never gotten Ness, Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, or Mr. Game & Watch
Sadly, this generation was born when NES was dying. *Again thinks about the 80's*

Fawriel

Smash Master
Ah, yeah, good old Crono. Yeah, his chances are great. Everything that speaks for him has been said already, and I'm the first person to *reply* if nobody beats me now.
What speaks against him, though, is that, in my opinion, the character himself is rather uninteresting. I mean, the game is awesome. It ruled. But Crono is pretty much just a silent protagonist with sword and magic and why do all generic fantasy RPG heroes have blue suits and red hair? Seriously!
So, yeah, he's likely due to his extreme popularity, but less likely due to his relative lack of personality.
75%, 5x Gardevoir.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hmm...very intresting character, and situation. I love Crono, but I see Square Enix giving their third party spot (if they have one) to Geno (he is owned by Square Enix, not Nintendo). But if Geno were out iof the way, Crono's chances would be a lot bigger.

So I'll give Crono a fair 25% chance. As much as I like Crono, he deosn't have the best of chances, especially behind Geno.

I nominate Dark Samus 5x! C'mon people, vote Dark Samus!

^^^^ That's wat I'm talking about!

Kirye

Smash Ace
40%. Crono's an incredibly popular character from the game Chrono Trigger, with a possible viable moveset. The only problem is that he's third party, and owned by Squenix, so there are many other characters who would join the fray before him. @_@

And again I need a new nomination.. Meh, Soma Cruz x 5

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Considering what people were giving him, 40% isn't all that bad.

But Star Tropics was from the early '90s... (1990 and 1994 specifically...)
I was talking when the NES was becoming mainstream, then died out in the 90's

Crono: great, GREAT game (one of, if not THE best RPG ever made) 75%

Dark Samus x 5

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
As every one else has said, Crono is a great character from a great RPG, but lets face it: If Square Enix had a say, either Sora or Cloud get a spot(sorry Geno fans)

I'll give him a 20%

I nod ROB the Robot 3X and Dark Samus 2x.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Alright! Capt. Syrup's gonna be next! :grin:

As for Crono (it's it Crono or Chrono? Anyway...), I've never played Chrono Trigger, nor heard of it until a while ago. I guess being the hero of a well known RPG gives it some credit. But still, I'll give him 30%, seeing as I feel there are other 3rd Party characters that seem to have more of a chance then him.

Nominations:
Captain Syrup x4
Baby Mario x1

SkiMaskSkeet

Smash Cadet
Wow I hear praises from people about this game ALL the time. Im suprised nobody votes higher percents. Yet, I can see why. He doesnt fit into the 'retro' thing and isn't a part of any 'universe' that pulls from other games... but concidering snake and pit are in....

70%

nominate: Phoenix Wright x5

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Ah Crono..the greatest RPG maybe to exist today. But he gets forshadow because Final Fantansy VI came out...I believe a lil after that and poor ol' Crono got shoved aside. Good game..but after but hey least he got something going on. 65%

Nominate: Kefka(x5)

Top Bottom