• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Master hand before the war
Chance: 0%
Glover just sits ontop of the pile of failed/forgotten platforming mascots from forgotten developers. He's not even in the same league as Bubsy since people atleast remember him albeit for the wrong reasons. Sakurai may he have said that a fun playstyle is more important than being recognizable but I'm not even sure Nintendo themselves remember this glove and from what I've seen, this character's moveset revolves around rolling a sphere around and we just rated someone who would be far better for that.

Want: 0%
Perhaps if I actually had experience with this guy I would've felt different. I'd even say his game doesn't even look that bad. Regardless, a forgotten character like this doesn't have a place on the roster. A Spirit would be more than enough acknowledgement Glover would need.

Shadow: 8.25%
Meta Knight echo x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Childish Gambino

Chance: 1%
Funny, as a kid I used to think Glover was this N64 classic like, I dunno, Blast Corps; I only found out about its not great reviews and sales a week ago when I was doing research for this. So, the positive thing I can say is that the game comes up, despite all odds, and some remember it fondly, but a classic this ain't. I could honestly see it happening, but it's a long shot.

Want: abstain
I don't want Glover and I don't think he should get in, but I used to think he makes sense and it's hard to shake that off, so I can't muster the 0% I wanna give him. I'll just abstain.

Noms: Atari rep
Prediction: 21.7 (for some reason I predicted Shadow yesterday instead of Glover)

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Glover

Chance: 5%. Most likely case scenario, Glover will not be in this game at all, not just because of obscurity, but also because of the huge amount of competition between many characters. However, it's not completely impossible, as we seen obscure characters get in before, but this would be a slim chance.

Want: 50%. I don't really know too much about that franchise in general, but like other ones, I think if that character got in, it could be fun to play as. Plus another character that debuted on the N64 would be a good idea, to bring more variety to the roaster, but that's just me.

Prediction: Shadow: 5%

Noms: 3 for Echo: Dark Bowser (14E) and 2 for Echo 27E (Meta Knight)

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Literally Just This:
depositphotos_190555686-stock-photo-hand-wearing-white-glove-showing.jpg

Chance: 2%

Since Terry was revealed, I don't think I've given anyone a chance score of less than 5%, yet here we are. Characters with only one game under their belts have joined the Smash roster before, obviously, but they either came from a fan-favorite first-party game (Ness, Duck Hunt, Shulk) or were used to actively promote a newer game (Corrin, Joker). The only exception would be Ice Climbers in Melee, but even they came with a wildly unique moveset. Glover is not a fan-favorite (it doesn't even have a cult following, which makes me wonder how it's so well remembered over 20 years later), it has no new sequel coming out, and unless Sakurai knows something about the movements of the human hand that the rest of us don't, I can't imagine his moveset would blow our minds enough to justify his inclusion.

Want: 1%

Funny, as a kid I used to think Glover was this N64 classic like, I dunno, Blast Corps; I only found out about its not great reviews and sales a week ago when I was doing research for this. So, the positive thing I can say is that the game comes up, despite all odds, and some remember it fondly, but a classic this ain't.
This really got me thinking...how is Glover so fondly remembered by some modern gamers? Unlike Blast Corps, the other cult classic you brought up, I never even knew anybody who owned Glover. It was the game people claimed to rent from Family Video back in the day, but rarely actually buy. Did Glover's legacy just get inflated because...90s kids remembered it? Like AOL and Hit Clips? Is Glover the Hit Clips of video game characters?

The answer is yes.

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Glover
Glover is a relatively unknown character without a following, no new games recently. The studio that created Glover (Blitz games) is out of business. The biggest issue I would have with Glover getting into Smash is that we have another beloved hand character that most people wouldn't kind paying for.

I don't have any attachment to Glover. I hadn't heard of him before this. But if I wanted a Hand character in smash, why not Master/Crazy hand?

Prediction: Shadow 15%

Noms: Akira Howard x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Glover

Chance - 0% - Not well remembered or impactful, his own company went under. I honestly can't even think of anything positive to say about his chances, outside of the fact that his only game was on a Nintendo console, which is a bear minimum for most. With practically no demand on top of no influence on future gaming, I don't even know why Sakurai might even think about him to be nominated, let alone actually implementing him.

Want - 10% - With a character this obscure, it seems that there is not much of a fanbase to even be happy about his inclusion. With vague notions of a promised moveset, I might be able to be won over. However, there are so many characters that I feel are better that I would probably still feel disappointed regardless.

Nominations

Kunio X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Remember that today is the last day you can change the top seven. It's looking like it could be anyone's game so don't let those noms go to waste.

[Rerate] Monokuma x115
Kunio (River City) x110
[Rerate] Sora x101
Aloy x100
Concept: Atari rep x105
Akira Howard x105
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x90

100 - 51

King Boo x86
Noctis Lucis Caelum x85
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x85
Ryo Hazuki x80
Mii Costume: Hollow Knight x80
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x80
[Rerate] 2B x80
Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
X (Mega Man) x70
Sackboy x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Echo: 27e (Meta Knight) x64
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x60
Vault Boy x60
Reporter & Wrestler x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x50
Kazuma Kiryu x50
Toxtricity x47
[Rerate] Dante x47
Meowth x46
Earthworm Jim x45
[Rerate] Waluigi x43
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x40
Crypto x40
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
Gex x35
Chun-Li x33
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x33
Freddy Fazbear x32
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x30
Concept: Devolver Digital rep x30
The Blob (De Blob) x25

Under 25

Urbosa x23
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x20
Carmen Sandiego x19
Giygas x17
Boss: Ender Dragon x17
Rival Pokémon Trainer x16
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x15
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x13
[Rerate] Skull Kid x12
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) x5
Terra Branford x5
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x5
[Rerate] Isaac x5
Alucard (Castlevania) x5
Concept: Darksiders rep x5
Chell x3
[Rerate] Andy x2
Taranza x1

Claude von Riegan beats Noctis Lucis Caelum and Ryu Hayabusa, and takes seventh place while they drop off the top seven.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Glover
Chance:
0%
Shocking, a 0% from me, the guy who somehow got Terry and Joker in this game. But look, it's simple: Glover had one game and one canceled game, and that one game wasn't even N64-exclusive (though I believe that's its most known version). He's not really an icon, though he's fondly remembered, and he's from a Western company. There's so little going for this guy except for the fact that he's somehow managed to endure in the back of a lot of peoples' minds.

Want: 20%
Glover is such a strange game for me. I have tons of nostalgia for it. I love the music and as clunky as the ball controls are they're super unique and clever. He's a character that has stuck with a lot of people, always in the back of peoples' minds. He's not really a Banjo, more like Gex. People remember him just enough and some even have fond memories of him but he hasn't stuck, not exactly. He's definitely in a better place than, like, Plok or Ty the Tasmanian Tiger in that he's a bit more charming and less obscure but hey, he's still obscure.

It really did feel like everyone knew Glover but, like, tangentially. Strange.

Nominations: Akira Howard x5

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
I think this is the first time posting in this thread. (first time I've posted anything in a while)

Glover is a favourite of mine, which is shame I'm going to have to score him so low (and that he never got a sequel, but I have hopes for that eventually)

So far he's had one game, and not many people care about said game if I'm being honest, but hey we got banjo so maybe?

Chance is 4%

Want is 90%
I would love him but he's not my most wanted. So it's only 90% I'll save 100 for my most wanted and I'd rather see a new Glover game then Glover in Smash.

Everyone gets 5 nominations right?
Nominate King Boo x5

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Glover

Yeah, he's long past his prime. Everyone else has pretty much said what there is to say. Although, I should probably mention two things. One, a company called Piko Interactive acquired the rights to Glover, and are planning to not only rerelease the game, but finally finish its cancelled sequal. Secondly, the game has gained some attention thanks to Youtubers like Antdude, Nitro Rad, and Caddicarus reviewing it, so it's not COMPLETELY obscure.
Want: 80%
I think Glover could potentially represent the long-forgotten era of "B-grade" platformers. As in, platformers that aren't triple-A games, but aren't Indie games either: the middle ground, if you will. Plus, the fact that there's an entire game designed with a playable glove in mind more than proves that a playable glove in Smash is at least possible. Still, we'll have to see what the future holds for the Glove you gotta Love.

Nominations: Monokuma x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hands down, this would be an odd inclusion

Yeah, definitely not gonna happen. A character that had only one game, a cancelled sequel, and a - if I'm not mistaken - bankrupt developer. There are countless characters that I can see making it in before Glover.

Never had an N64 myself, and what I've seen from the character really doesn't seem all that interesting to me. Sorry, but I'll pass.

Nominating Akira Howard x5.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Shadow the Hedgehog from the Sonic series.

Predict Monokuma from Danganronpa.

Day will end at 8 am EST on Friday.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

----------

Some songs to make you feel like you're the ultimate life form:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Shadow The Assist Trophy

Chance 0 - Feel like if we're getting an assist trophy promotion then it will be either Waluigi or Issac, as they are by far the most requested upgrade. Shadow would also likely be a Sonic echo so I have a hard time seeing a promotion happen just to clone if him off someone else. And lastly, there's the fact that there might just not be any AT promotions at all, which I think will be the case. All in all, not feeling high on this possibility.

Want 70 - Shadow is one of my favorite Sonic characters and I was a little bummed he didn't make the cut in the base roster. Not sure how high I am on getting AT promotions right now but if it's him for whatever reason I'd take it.

Predict Monokuma - 6%

Noms:
Vault Boy x5

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
ShadOW THE EDGEhog

He's already an Assist Trophy. I'm under the firm belief that Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble of making an Assist Trophy and then promoting them in the same game. To put it more clearly:

-:ultlittlemac: was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, and was promoted a game later.
-:ultisabelle::ultdarksamus: were Assist Trophies in Smash 4, and were promoted a game later.

So if Shadow IS eventually promoted, I'm sure it will be the next game and nothing else, based only what we've seen so far.

Want: 100%
Which is a shame, because Shadow would've made a great Echo Fighter for :ultsonic:. He would basically play mostly the same, but with Chaos Blast as his :GCD::GCB: and Chaos Control as his recovery.

Monokuma: 0%

Noms: Claude von Rerate x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Shadow

Chance: 8%
Assist trophies take time to make so it's hard to see Sakurai going through the trouble of creating one only to make it playable later on. Heck, Sakurai even said that because Waluigi was an AT in SSB4 that meant he couldn't be a character. But that was then and this is now, and after FP5 (which I don't see being an AT character at all), we have a new set of characters arriving so really anything could happen. I'm still not too confident on the chances of an AT character happening since Sakurai could be shifting his focus to other unrepped series, but I think there are some possible candidates if it were to happen.

The front runner for AT promotion in my eyes is Waluigi since he has immense fan demand that even Nintendo is aware of. Aside from him, the only other AT promotions that I could possibly see happening are Isaac and Shadow; Isaac because he's been a big request and Shadow because he's both a popular character and a fairly easy-to-make echo of Sonic. Because he is a very popular echo candidate, I'll give Shadow a super generous 8% chance of happening. Like I said before though, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we didn't get any AT promotions at all.

Want: 5%
If Shadow got in he'd most likely be an echo of Sonic. Considering how Sonic's moveset is one of my least favorites in the game then I'd be lying if I said I'd be hyped for Shadow. When it comes to Sonic characters, Tails and Robotnik are the only other ones I'd want anyway.

Monokuma chance prediction: 8.97%

Nominations:
2B x5

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Shadow
Shadow's only chance was in the base roster. The fact that he's an assist trophy means that he doesn't get a shot at being DLC 5. Personally, I think he has no chance at being a post fighters pass DLC. The only assist trophy that has a chance is Waluigi, because of the outcry after he was still an assist trophy.

Want: 60%
I think Shadow being a more power based Sonic echo fighter would be fun to play. Plus, Shadow is pretty cool. I just can't see it happening though.

Predictions: Monokuma 5%

Nominations: An Octopath Traveler Rep X5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Can you see all of him?

Chance: 5%. Shadow is an actual no-hoper unless Waluigi gets in, and, I honestly think he will. But even then, Shadow has a bunch of other problems to deal with. First, we have the big issue of how unique can he be, which could keep him out if we don't get Echoes in the future season. Second, he competes with Tails and Eggman for a second Sonic character. Third, DLC, with two exceptions, has been about expanding the crossover in regards to newcomers. Shadow would be a third party character they have to license for the sake of getting him in.

Want: 45% if he's an Echo Fighter for Sonic, 0% if he's considered an individual character. The former means that he's not taking up that much dev time, and perhaps he'll be Ken level different so that while still an echo he'll be fine to use and perhaps, better than Sonic. The latter means he's stepping on Arle's toes and, to a lesser extent, spitting in Yu's face.

Lloyd x 5. Monokuma is gonna get 3.46%.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wanted to get calcs done before the day change so that people could use their extra noms before the top seven was set.

But then I fell asleep. So that's that.

Heihachi
42.94% Chance - 56.40% Want
Last time we rated him he got 7.82% Chance and 24.82% Want. This was super early, like barely post-Joker early. At that point his VA's passing was more recent and more damning, plus his Mii Costume wasn't mysteriously MIA. I can't explain the huge rise in want. Maybe Terry assuaged people's fears of other fighting game characters being redundant/boring?
Winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 28.54%

Unsafe Wiimote Guy
0.00% Chance - 23.50% Want
Winners of predictions, all giving the exact 0% score, were Perkilator Perkilator , NintenRob NintenRob , waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi , GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , and Sid-cada Sid-cada .
Unsafe Wiimote Guy has the dubious honor of tying with Brash the Bear for the lowest chance score - for any first-party character, for any character period, and for anything we've nominated. RIP for the 28 characters and concepts that got lower want scores than this though.

Prince of All Cosmos
10.17% Chance - 44.54% Want
Last time we rated him he got 6.44% Chance and 45.28% Want. I don't have any explanation for the rise in chance; maybe Terry showed people that you don't have to be super well known to get in?
Winner of predictions was Calamitas Calamitas with 9.99%

Glover
0.80% Chance - 22.00% Want
Winner of predictions was Ridrool64 Ridrool64 with 0.84%

People with extra noms (30% late)

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 5
Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
Calamitas Calamitas 5
DaUsername DaUsername 57
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 20
NintenRob NintenRob 15
Perkilator Perkilator 15
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Sid-cada Sid-cada 15
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 5
Troykv Troykv 15
Ultomato Ultomato 5
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 15
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Wanted to get calcs done before the day change so that people could use their extra noms before the top seven was set.

But then I fell asleep. So that's that.

Heihachi
42.94% Chance - 56.40% Want
Last time we rated him he got 7.82% Chance and 24.82% Want. This was super early, like barely post-Joker early. At that point his VA's passing was more recent and more damning, plus his Mii Costume wasn't mysteriously MIA. I can't explain the huge rise in want. Maybe Terry assuaged people's fears of other fighting game characters being redundant/boring?
Winner of predictions was GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 with 28.54%

Unsafe Wiimote Guy
0.00% Chance - 23.50% Want
Winners of predictions, all giving the exact 0% score, were Perkilator Perkilator , NintenRob NintenRob , waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi , GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , and Sid-cada Sid-cada .
Unsafe Wiimote Guy has the dubious honor of tying with Brash the Bear for the lowest chance score - for any first-party character, for any character period, and for anything we've nominated. RIP for the 28 characters and concepts that got lower want scores than this though.

Prince of All Cosmos
10.17% Chance - 44.54% Want
Last time we rated him he got 6.44% Chance and 45.28% Want. I don't have any explanation for the rise in chance; maybe Terry showed people that you don't have to be super well known to get in?
Winner of predictions was Calamitas Calamitas with 9.99%

Glover
0.80% Chance - 22.00% Want
Winner of predictions was Ridrool64 Ridrool64 with 0.84%

People with extra noms (30% late)

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 5
Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
Calamitas Calamitas 5
DaUsername DaUsername 57
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 20
NintenRob NintenRob 15
Perkilator Perkilator 15
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Sid-cada Sid-cada 15
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 5
Troykv Troykv 15
Ultomato Ultomato 5
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 15
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 5
Who/what has the lowest want score ever?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

Day 371: Monokuma (Danganronpa)
Day 372: Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
Day 373: Kunio (Kunio-kun/River City)
Day 374: Concept: Atari rep
Day 375: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Day 376: Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn)
Day 377: King Boo (Mario)

Akira Howard sped through the top seven and managed to go from sixth all the way to tied for first. Atari rep also went from fifth to tied for third. And King Boo gave Claude von Riegan the scare of his life and nabbed that seventh place at the last second. I told y'all it was anyone's game. (Can't imagine the chaos that would've ensued had all those extra noms been in play)

Your new top seven consists of Claude von Riegan, Noctis Lucis Caelum, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd Irving, 2B, Ryo Hazuki, and Hollow Knight Mii Costume.

[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x90
Noctis Lucis Caelum x85
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x85
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x85
[Rerate] 2B x85
Ryo Hazuki x80
Mii Costume: Hollow Knight x80

100 - 51

Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
Echo: 27e (Meta Knight) x71
X (Mega Man) x70
Sackboy x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Vault Boy x64
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x60
Reporter & Wrestler x55
Decidueye x53
Toxtricity x52

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x50
Kazuma Kiryu x50
[Rerate] Dante x47
Meowth x46
Earthworm Jim x45
Crypto x45
[Rerate] Waluigi x43
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x40
Gex x40
Freddy Fazbear x37
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
Chun-Li x33
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x33
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x30
Concept: Devolver Digital rep x30
The Blob (De Blob) x25

Under 25

Urbosa x23
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x20
Carmen Sandiego x19
Giygas x17
Boss: Ender Dragon x17
Rival Pokémon Trainer x16
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x15
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x13
[Rerate] Skull Kid x12
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) x5
Terra Branford x5
[Rerate] Monster Hunter x5
[Rerate] Isaac x5
Alucard (Castlevania) x5
Concept: Darksiders rep x5
Chell x3
Echo: Dark Bowser (14e) x3
[Rerate] Andy x2
Taranza x1

Toxtricity zaps past the 50 nom mark.

Today's new nominee is Echo: Dark Bowser, with 3 noms.

Jomosensual Jomosensual that would be our recent rating of Protector, at 3.33%

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
My boi.
Chance: 10%: IMO one of the more likely AT prpmotions. The AT unlike Waluigi's or pretty much every other AT hasn't been updated at all, indicating that it's probably last minute and other sonic characters could easily replace it. Especially since it is just a remake of the timer item, all you gotta do to change it is switch the model and grab a different voice clip. Still not likely by anymeans, but possible.
W ant: OVER 9000: this is my most wanted. Shadow is my dream character, because he could represent my favorite game ever made, and have a fun and unique moveset that could have unique gimmicks with Chaos Boost or a morality bar. I really want this to happen, to the point where it he does make it in, I will write an essay on the character 's history and moveset potential. Alright? Good.
Nominations: Freddy Fazbear x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Shadow faces two big problems in my eyes

1. He's an assist trophy, obviously. Now I've gone on record saying that promotions midgame is NOT impossible. But I doubt we'd get much if we did. And I don't think Shadow would be it if we did. Because....
2. I don't think we're getting echoes dlc. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we did, but I do kinda doubt it. I'm a pretty firm believer that we're getting 16 total dlc characters, which would be three years worth of unique fighters. This just my belief though and it could be wrong.

Of course some would argue he'd be unique but I'd strongly disagree with that, I feel his only chance is as an echo fighter, I still don't think third party franchises are getting a second unique character and if sonic got one it would be Tails or Eggman, most likely just Tails though.

Chance 2%
Want 10%

Prediction Monokuma 0.5%

Nominate Carmen Sandiego x5+15 (so 20)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hurr durr Assist Trophy bad

Chance: 49%
Assist Trophies have no bearing on who gets picked. Sakurai wants to make a character, I doubt them being an AT would give him pause.

That out of the way, I'm giving Shadow the same score I gave Geno, because he's also a very flexible character.

If we keep getting third party, big characters, well, Shadow's probably one of the most iconic, and one of the most popular. However, if we get a more fanservicey direction for post-Pass, then Shadow is still a highly requested character, an AT promotion, and a Grinch alum.

Shadow can also bring stages, music and Spirits (from his own game or from the pretty underrepped Adventure games). But he can come without if that's not the direction taken. Hell, he can easily be unique, and he can also easily be an Echo if those are added.

Want: 90%

I mean, why wouldn't I want an icon as big as Shadow in Smash? Plus, Sonic really needs a second rep, it's insulting that it doesn't already. And you won't hear me saying no to any type of promotion from characters already in the game.

Noms: Noctis x5
Monokuma prediction: 9.6%

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Edgy the Hedgy

Chance: 10%
As others have pointed out, Shadow has two major things going against him: He's an Assist Trophy, and even if those were to be upgraded, it is questionable whether or not we'd get Echo Fighter DLC. That leaves us with two major hurdles for that we currently have no precedent of them being overcome. I could see one of these hurdles being overcome at a time by different characters, but both at once by Shadow? Not too terribly likely. Still, on the other hand, he is one of the most enduringly popular Sonic characters, if not the most popular - no matter how much long-time fans of the series might prefer Tails, Eggman or even Knuckles. Hence the 10%, and not a lower score.

Want: 65%
Full disclosure here: I also had my Sonic phase back in the day, where I thought that Shadow was the absolute coolest. It has been about a decade since I really was into the series, but I'd lie if I said that I wouldn't love the idea of Shadow playable in Smash, regardless of whether he's an Echo or an original fighter. At the same time though, there are plenty of other characters that I'd prefer getting in before he does.

Nominating [Rerate] Phoenix Wright x10.

Predicting Monokuma to get around 3.33%.

Jomosensual Jomosensual that would be our recent rating of Protector, at 3.33%
Wow. I'm surprised that that wasn't the Unsafe Wiimote Guy.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
This rating has been sponsored by raid: SHADOW legends
He's the most popular Sonic character after the blue blur himself and has been an Assist Trophy ever since Sonic got into Brawl, so if Sakurai really wanted to make Shadow playable at some point then I don't know why it hasn't happened yet, especially with us already having two third-party echoes and Shadow being an easy fit for that. How come he still hasn't been upgraded? Is negotiating with SEGA when it comes to Sonic harder than we may think? Or is Sakurai not as passionate about the series as others and doesn't see the need to represent the series further? Does he hold a grudge against the Edgehog? I don't know what is happening but I feel something is holding Shadow, and most other Sonic characters back. Also, I'm not sure if we'll be getting any echo fighter DLC or if any AT not named Waluigi has a chance to be promoted.

Despite me asking questions, I'm not really complaining when it comes to Shadow's status. I haven't really played many Sonic games where he is prominent and he was never one of my favourites. I'd personally rather see someone whose been there since the classic games, such as Eggman, Tails, Knuckles or even Metal.

Monokuma: 13.76%
Meta Knight echo x20

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Shadow the Edgehog

I believe Shadow is one of the more likelier assist trophies to be upgraded. Are assist trophies likely to be upgraded? Probably not. Sakurai made them an assist trophy for a reason. And even if there were upgrades, Waluigi would probably be first and then after that Shadow has to compete with other assist trophies like Isaac.

Another big issue with Shadow is that Sonic has been in Smash since Brawl yet we have yet to get another Sonic character. With two of them being assist trophies and one of them being a Mii costume, I get the feeling that Sakurai doesn't want to add another Sonic character for whatever reason. Plus we have yet to have a 3rd party franchise with more than one unique character. And I don't see echo DLC being likely because people are more hesitant to buy those and echoes were likely just used in the base roster because of the limited time used for newcomers.

Overall, Shadow has quite a bit going against him and with the focus being on new franchises, his odds are looking slim.

Want: 70%

Shadow would be very cool and fun. He could bring more Sonic music with him and another stage to represent more Sonic games which would be great. Plus we could always have another villain/anti-hero on the roster.

Predictions: Monokuma - 9%

Noms: Crypto x5

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Shadow

Chance: 10%. Popularity is very high for Shadow, and if we are getting new Echoes, he would be one of the most likely ones. While he may be an assist, there could be loopholes, like either having Silver replace him or have the Shadow assist not be available when he is playable. And of course, competition is the big concern, but it's not impossible for him to get in. In the sequel, his chance is even higher, at 50%.

Want: 100%. While Knuckles would be my preferred choice, Shadow would be hype worthy as well. His moveset would be different from Sonic, with Chaos Control for Up Special (as a recovery move similar to Zelda's) and a down special (Similar to Shulk and Bayonetta), plus Super Shadow as his final smash. Plus more battle potential, including recreating Shadow vs Mewtwo. Overall, Shadow would be one of the best fits for Ultimate.

Noms: 4 for Concept: Pokeball Pokémon Promotion and 1 for Decidueye

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Shadow the Hedgehog

I'm sorry, but I still think Assist Trophies deconfirm. All previous "promotions" didn't happen in the same game, but rather, the next. Until they decide to promote them in the SAME GAME or Sakurai himself says they don't deconfirm, then I will die on this hill.
Abstain on want. I don't have any strong opinions on Shadow.

Nominations: Decidueye x2, Toxtricity x3

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Shadow the Hedgehog

Chance - 0.5% - The main problem is that in a world of echos, Shadow was one of the easiest to make compared many characters. With a character that popular not getting anything, and in fact getting a touch up on their assist trophy, I think it was not in their plans to make him playable. While it might be possible to get an assist trophy promoted, I think that even if one were up for grabs, they would probably want someone a bit more unique compared to a preexisting character. He's popular enough that he might overcome all of that, but that's a big enough if that I have little faith.

Want - 20% - If I wanted a Sonic character, I'd rather go for Eggman or Tails. As of now, shadow doesn't really do anything for me. I'm not a big Sonic fan anyway. I'd much prefer to get another, more interesting character in.

Nominations

De Blob X15

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Ow, the edge

Sadly, I don't see Shadow getting promoted from Assist Trophy status. That's all I can really say.

Want: 80%

It's a shame, really, because he'd be perfect for an Echo of Sonic (Albeit more like a Ken-styled Echo). So I do really want him. I just don't think he's happening, unfortunately

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Monokuma from Danganronpa.

Predict Akira Howard from Astral Chain.

Day will end Saturday around noon EST.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

----------

Some songs to get into the Danganronpa mood:

----------

Abstaining completely today. While I know that Danganronpa is a pretty popular series, I have no experience with it at all so I won't comment.

Akira Howard chance prediction: 12.87%

Nominations:
2B x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Monokuma

Chance: 15%. Monokuma is quite popular, meaning that he could have a chance to be in this game. The biggest issue is the competition that may defeat him to be in Smash Bros, but he may have a chance to be in this game, and he has lots of attributes that may lean towards his favor in the future.

Want: 60%. First of all, another villain would be fun, hence his inclusion would be unique. Second, he is based on a bear, and while we have Banjo, Monokuma would bring in more opportunities to choose, like Monokuma vs Banjo and Kazooie, and Monokuma vs Bowser Jr. Third:

He is a robot, and we need more robots in the roaster

And of course, Monokuma would be fun to play as.

Prediction: Akira: 20%

Noms: 3 for Echo: Dark Bowser (14E) and 2 for Echo: Lord Fredrick (67E)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
puhuhuhu

Danganronpa is a decently popular series, with a certain character being the most cosplayed in Japan a couple years ago or so. It has developed a decently big following and is one of the most popular visual novel series. Sakurai himself seems to enjoy the series and even congratulated Kodaka on his new team. Monokuma would take elements from the executions, his abilities as a bear, and his ability to summon spikes and put them in a moveset. Monokuma is the type of weird, but charming character that Sakurai likes to put in Smash. And Danganronpa's art style would certainly fit right in with Smash.

However, Monokuma has two big obstacles in his way. First, he has no Nintendo presence (unless if you count the Danganronpa content in Crypt of the Necrodancer which is a huge stretch). So far we have yet to have a character in Smash with zero Nintendo presence. There are rumors of a Danganronpa trilogy for Switch, but nothing concrete. Until Danganronpa is on a Nintendo console, this alone really lowers his chances. Second, Monokuma is competing with Phoenix Wright as the visual novel rep, and Phoenix has a long history with Nintendo systems. Overall, it's not looking very good for the psychotic, lovable, adorable, terrifying bear.

Want: 100%

One of my top picks. I love Danganronpa and I would be stoked to see Monokuma fight legends like Mario, Sonic, Cloud, and Hero in front of Hope's Peak Academy. The Danganronpa games have a unique charm to them that would bring something unique to Smash. Mostly the art style which would make the stage stand out. Monokuma himself is someone who you end up hating for killing off your favorite characters, but at the same time, you can't help but enjoy his company and like him in the end. Despite him being a deranged killer, he still has charm and comedy. And if Sakurai is able to capture that in his moveset, that would be wonderful. As for the music, three words: Scrum Debate music.

Predictions: Akira - 20%

Noms: Crypto x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
50% Banjo-0% Kazooie

Why are we rerating him? We rated Monokuma not too long ago and nothing's changed for his chances. He's still a character with little demand, no Nintendo presence, from a series not on Nintendo consoles. I'm not convinced Sakurai would come up with a moveset for him, sure, he can do a lot of generic cartoon violence, but his main shtick is executing people and that's not happening in Smash. Despite Danganronpa being pretty mainstream as visual novels go, he's not beating the might of the Ace Attorney and the Puzzling Professor.

Want: 1%
I love Danganronpa but I have zero need to see Monokuma in Smash.

Noms: Noctis x5
Akira Howard prediction: 33%

Top Bottom