• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ravyn's Pit information thread.

Coffee™

I need it....
Ok, well most of you know me as one of the older Pit players. I switched over to Falco for a while but I'm gonna go back to playing Pit only at least for the next few months and I've always known a great deal about his matchups, moves etc, so I figured I might as well open up one of these kinds of threads just to share what I've gathered over the years of playing arrow boy and see if it can help anyone out.

So if you've got any questions about the character, ask away here and I'll answer em, **** ask w/e you want and I'll probably answer it lol.

:reverse:

tyler123

Smash Apprentice
What's Pit's best kill move, I use has b-air sweet spot, but is there something better. Also, when should I use his arrows, and do I need to learn to spin his arrows in infinite circles to play as Pit.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ok, well most of you know me as one of the older Pit players. I switched over to Falco for a while but I'm gonna go back to playing Pit only at least for the next few months and I've always known a great deal about his matchups, moves etc, so I figured I might as well open up one of these kinds of threads just to share what I've gathered over the years of playing arrow boy and see if it can help anyone out.

So if you've got any questions about the character, ask away here and I'll answer em, **** ask w/e you want and I'll probably answer it lol.

:reverse:
How do you feel the characters mix-up potential is? Where do you feel his strengths lie besides general camping ability? Why do many pits perform poorly iyo?Many pits have started advocating developing CQC further, what are your favorite tricks/moves in cqc?

Coffee™

I need it....
how does pit fight pikachu? you are in florida so i assume you know that MU
Pit has to stay grounded in general during the matchup. Pika is more agile in the air and is really good at juggling Pit once he gets him in the air. Pika has a lot of trouble killing or camping versus Pit so you should be using that to your advantage. SH retreating Dair is also really good in the matchup as well as SH retreating Fair on Pika's shield which he can't punish if spaced properly.

Pit can't really gimp Pika well but Pika is good as **** versus Pit off stage due to his recovery and the speed of his aerials, namely Nair and Uair. so even when Pit gets Pika offstage it's generally not smart to go after him unless you're assured of a kill or gimp.

Pit's grounded up B clanks with Pika's Thunderjolt so that can always be used in tight spots where you can't reflect it and and shielding will get you grabbed. It's a good mixup but Pika can punish it if close enough so don't abuse it.

Also at the beginning of the match it's good to ledgecamp or platform camp Pika since he does have a chain grab on Pit using Fthrow until like 47% or something like that.

It's a pretty even matchup.

What's Pit's best kill move, I use has b-air sweet spot, but is there something better. Also, when should I use his arrows, and do I need to learn to spin his arrows in infinite circles to play as Pit.
Pit's best kill move is Bair. Fsmash is also good as it is fairly powerful but nowhere as strong as Bair. As for arrows you use em' when you know to you cant be punished or as a follow up from an attack. They're good at stealing jumps as well as forcing air dodges. And no looping is not that helpful.

How do you feel the characters mix-up potential is? Where do you feel his strengths lie besides general camping ability? Why do many pits perform poorly iyo?Many pits have started advocating developing CQC further, what are your favorite tricks/moves in cqc?
Pit has a ton of mixup potential but it's a hard question to answer because what mixups you use depends on the character your playing against as well as your opponent. Pit's biggest strengths lie in his mixups, ledge game and camping in general. In my opinion playing semi aggressive is his best option besides straight up staying on the ledge the entire game as he can force a lot of mistakes with his arrows.

Imo most Pits perform poorly soley because the person playing them isn't that good of a player or don't have a good enough grasp of how they should be playing the character. You can't make a good character seem good with a bad player. He also has a lot of close matchups so a lot of times it just comes down to how good of a player you are.

As for CQC, personally I like Jab cancels to grab or Utilt, especially Utilt since many people don't expect it from a Jab..

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
What should one's mindset be when trying to learn Pit as their main?

I'm probably the worst Pit on these boards. ;w;' I've been learning advanced techniques like the wingdash, but I'm quite lost on how to progress... There's no way I'm giving up, though. :3 He's too awesome a character for that.

Coffee™

I need it....
does pit have any room left to grow and develop his metagame?
Of course. There's a lot of stuff I don't see people doing even now. I've got a lot of new stuff to show you guys starting next week.

I'm probably the worst Pit on these boards. ;w;' I've been learning advanced techniques like the wingdash, but I'm quite lost on how to progress... There's no way I'm giving up, though. :3 He's too awesome a character for that.
Ya just keep practicing

:phone:

Xcallion

Smash Ace

focus on the basics before advanced techs. Spacing, arrow aim, and recovery are good places to start.

Starwave

Smash Cadet
Oh, you're that BBR Pit player! I'm glad your still posting. I've got a few questions.

1. Are Pits matchups on the matchup chart legitimate? If so i'm pleasantly pleased since he's got great matchups for a mid mid tier character. Ignoring top tiers of course, but aside from MK (which ****s over 80% of the cast anyway) and Wario he loses -1 to the others.

2. Could Pit stand to rise on the tier list?

Xcallion

Smash Ace
The MU's are legit.
Some pit's will even argue that they're better, but idk.
Pit could rise. all he needs is people to win tourney's with him.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
focus on the basics before advanced techs. Spacing, arrow aim, and recovery are good places to start.
Ah, then maybe I'm actually doing something right...? Arrow aim and spacing are two of my focuses, and I believe I'm getting pretty good at them. :3 Well, I can beat all of the casual players I've fought rather easily now, so at least I know I'm above that level...

Thanks guys! :bee:

Suyon

Smash Lord
How does one get close within Falco for CQC? Or are you not suppose to do that against Falco when beyond the CG % damage. I noticed with Shugo is that I had a hard time getting within is zone since he was spacing everything well for me to not get in and damage him. What do you also do when you are being edge guarded by Falco. When he has space reflect,dacus, fsmash, and laser.

Coffee™

I need it....
Oh, you're that BBR Pit player! I'm glad your still posting. I've got a few questions.

1. Are Pits matchups on the matchup chart legitimate? If so i'm pleasantly pleased since he's got great matchups for a mid mid tier character. Ignoring top tiers of course, but aside from MK (which ****s over 80% of the cast anyway) and Wario he loses -1 to the others.

2. Could Pit stand to rise on the tier list?
1: I don't agree with a bunch of them actually. I think Pit. only outright loses to wario and mk and beats some characters characters worse than is listed.

2: If pit players get better then sure

:phone:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
guys, let ravyn answer the posted questions, if they wanted other people's opinion, they'd use the normal QA thread.

also, thx for the pika summary

also, do you agree that AR, dtilt, jab, planking and arrows give us more of an advantage on falco after CG percents than he has on us? along with our bair and fsmash being able to kill earlier, and his inability to deal with planking and properly angled arrows (around his reflector)? i honestly feel that after that deadly first 45% of fighting falco is over, i feel it becomes in pits favor due to how much i personally destroy falcos. (except the one against razer, i choked to PR pressure for the first time in texas on that 1)

Coffee™

I need it....
How does one get close within Falco for CQC? Or are you not suppose to do that against Falco when beyond the CG % damage. I noticed with Shugo is that I had a hard time getting within is zone since he was spacing everything well for me to not get in and damage him. What do you also do when you are being edge guarded by Falco. When he has space reflect,dacus, fsmash, and laser.
Honestly if you're patient enough you can make Falco approach once you have a decent percentage lead. Pit's arrows do more damage per hit than Falco's lazers and can be angled to avoid his reflector, but to be honest approaching Falco with Pit is no different than any other character. Falco's camping isn't impervious and has weak areas such as the lag on his reflector and the small lag in between lazers where he can be punished so it's honestly just a matter of learning the opposing character more.

As fas as edgeguarding is concerned just always recover low. Falco can't touch Pit down there without risking his own stock. Also don't bother gliding back from long distances since Falco can easily hit you with Lazers to waste that jump or outright just run out there and it Bair you.

guys, let ravyn answer the posted questions, if they wanted other people's opinion, they'd use the normal QA thread.

also, thx for the pika summary

also, do you agree that AR, dtilt, jab, planking and arrows give us more of an advantage on falco after CG percents than he has on us? along with our bair and fsmash being able to kill earlier, and his inability to deal with planking and properly angled arrows (around his reflector)? i honestly feel that after that deadly first 45% of fighting falco is over, i feel it becomes in pits favor due to how much i personally destroy falcos. (except the one against razer, i choked to PR pressure for the first time in texas on that 1)
Falco builds damage faster but has trouble killing. Pit builds damage slower but kills Falco pretty early and can gimp him fairly well. Idk about Pit "winning" it since Falco isn't exactly a pushover but it's at least even, no worse than that.

Could I get your personal views on the Olimar matchup?
Honestly I don't know it well at all. FL has like no Olimars

Do you think Snake is a good secondary for a pit mainer ? Otherwise who would fit better ?
Snake's ok, he does decently versus MK and Wario who are really annoying for Pit and beats GW who some Pit players have trouble with. Overall though I think Marth and MK are his best secondaries since they go even or beat every character Pit has a problem with. I personally like Falco because imo he beats GW and Marth and at least goes even with MK.

What do you think the safest move to hit DDD's shield would be? (besides arrows from a distance of course)
Spaced Fair, Full Hop Dair, Angel Ring and infinite Jab are all safe against D3's shield. If you search for matches between me and Seibrik's D3 on youtube you should find like 4 or 5 matches with us playing the matchup. I can't imagine much changing about it since we played then so you could use those for some more insight on the matchup.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Ravyn, I have trouble with the Dedede matchup the most with my characters :wario: :pit:, should I learn the MU wholeheartedly with Wario even though it's a losing battle, learn the matchup even better with Pit even though I have trouble killing him (I think the MU is even or losing now...), or should I just pick up one of my thirds for Dedede only and fun? :olimar: is my best third, I can use :metaknight: but I hate using him, but I wouldnt mind for Dedede...

I honestly have a 0-3 with Fizzle in bracket everytime he'd use Dedede, and a 0-2 with Atomsk. I used Pit the last games I played Fizzle and Atomsk, and still got 1-2'd by Fizzle and 0-2'd by Atomsk....

Xcallion

Smash Ace
i've hit my plateau. not getting any better and sometimes it feels like i'm getting worse. How do i get around this?

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I used to feel that way, here's the Luckay 7 ways to get better.

1.Increase your knowledge on frame data
-Pit's frame data
-Mk's frame data
-Frame data for each characters most annoying or best moves.

2. Spend time practicing alone all the techs that you should know.
-Pivot Arrow
-Grab release timing
-fthrow chaingrab timing/ss fsmashing
-wing refresh chasing

3. Review Gimr's metagame minute videos, they are very helpful. Also, any videos of top level players.
-Edge slip mechanics
-RCO/Phantom Lag
-How to DI vs Falco
-Latest one about Shield DI on the edge

4. Use wifi to analyze general player habits
-Learn when players roll and train yourself to know when it will happen and have a pool of punish options ready
-Adapt to what players do to get up from the ledge and cover all their options

5. Have faster fingers
-Energy drinks, coffee, adderall, etc
-Train your eyes and mind to have a faster reaction time
-Let the tournament or high level friendlies pressure make you better instead of worse

6.Play More
-Wifi
-Invite friends over, go to smashfests
-Attend tournaments
-Travel to attend tournaments

7. Be dedicated to getting better
-If you aren't willing to do any of the 6 before this, then you can't expect to get better.

Coffee™

I need it....
Ravyn, I have trouble with the Dedede matchup the most with my characters :wario: :pit:, should I learn the MU wholeheartedly with Wario even though it's a losing battle, learn the matchup even better with Pit even though I have trouble killing him (I think the MU is even or losing now...), or should I just pick up one of my thirds for Dedede only and fun? :olimar: is my best third, I can use :metaknight: but I hate using him, but I wouldnt mind for Dedede...

I honestly have a 0-3 with Fizzle in bracket everytime he'd use Dedede, and a 0-2 with Atomsk. I used Pit the last games I played Fizzle and Atomsk, and still got 1-2'd by Fizzle and 0-2'd by Atomsk....
Honestly MK ***** Dedede so if you really want a character for D3 I would choose him but if I were to pick between Pit and Wario I would pick Pit every time. Wario vs D3 isn't "that" bad but it's pretty annoying and Pit does a lot better against him. I think he beats D3 anyway. If you keep practicing you'll get better at it. It's pretty hard for D3 to kill Pit and Pit racks up damage on D3 pretty fast so it shouldn't be that hard to score kills unless you're staling your kill moves too early.

If you want any help with the matchup just pm me and I'll get on aim or msn and talk to you about it.

Rayvn, are you active in Florida tourneys? I just moved to Florida and I would love the chance to see how you play and maybe show ya my moves.
I have been inactive for a few months because of school and work and stuff but I'm going back starting with ESAM's next Zero Ping. Which part of FL are you in?

i've hit my plateau. not getting any better and sometimes it feels like i'm getting worse. How do i get around this?
Try picking up another character, not playing for a while, just watch videos, etc. There's a lot of ways to get over plateau's. You just kinda have to figure out what works best for you.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Alright, I have soo much trouble in these matchups--Olimar(I know you don't know), Diddy, Marth, MK, ICs, Toon Link, Lucas, and Mario :/ I don't understand those matchups @ high level @ all--mainly Diddy Kong, ICs, and TL. How do you fight against those annoying characters?

Also, if there was a top level Pit player--what would it look like? I know Masashi is the closest, but what kind of features/techniques would they know how to do well?

Coffee™

I need it....
Where those vids at ?
Alright, I have soo much trouble in these matchups--Olimar(I know you don't know), Diddy, Marth, MK, ICs, Toon Link, Lucas, and Mario :/ I don't understand those matchups @ high level @ all--mainly Diddy Kong, ICs, and TL. How do you fight against those annoying characters?

Also, if there was a top level Pit player--what would it look like? I know Masashi is the closest, but what kind of features/techniques would they know how to do well?
Diddy isn't too bad. I just play near the edge of the stage to limit Diddy's options. Also idk if its a true combo but I think at certain distances Pit can hit Diddy with an arrow, then glidetoss the banana towards Diddy, then Fsmash / Dsmash. TL, I don't really know it well. I just time them out -_-. ICs I play against them similarly to Diddy, near the edge. I'll explain more when the matchups come around.

I live in Boynton Beach. About 30 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale.
Thats not too far. Do you drive?

Where those vids at ?
They're coming, I recorded a few but I wanna get a bit more before I start uploading.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
alright r@vyn, here's a question for ya.

do you think we lose to ICs like the chart says, or do you think we go even/counter them? i personally feel like we beat ICs by at least 1. also, why do/don't you think we beat/go even with them?

Coffee™

I need it....
Yeah, I drive.
Ok, thats cool. Hit me up in my inbox for my number and I'll let you know when ppl head out to ZP and train. I go there from time to time as well. It's not that far from Boyton.

alright r@vyn, here's a question for ya.

do you think we lose to ICs like the chart says, or do you think we go even/counter them? i personally feel like we beat ICs by at least 1. also, why do/don't you think we beat/go even with them?
I never thought Pit really lost to ICs. I had a long talk about it with Hylian in the BBR a while ago "he thinks ICs wins". If there is no ledge grab limit Pit wins pretty easily as they can't get him off and generally take more damage trying. However if there is a LGL then I think its evenish, leaning more towards Pits favor as there are quite a few stages he has the advantage on.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
It's definitely Pit's favor without LGL and evenish with it, but regardless I think it's gunna change because of my IC experience and Ravyns as well. ICs were hard to discuss with in general, Hylian being the only one holding the front up.

Top Bottom