• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ray Kalm's Money Matches.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Ray_Kalm, do you play wifi, too?

If so, I would like to brawl against you (Your ganon vs my falcon).

You up for it?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
OMFG lul, 3:55 of the TO Joe vid...

BEAST man. I walked away during your money matches, to savour the act of watching these vids later.

I made the right call.

EDIT: Oh, I think I know what happened at 4:32.

So, Falcon was doing a dash grab, and Ganon does an Air Choke at the ledge, below stage level.

You know if you do a move that translates your character straight horizontally, if you hit the edge, you can be pushed 'up' just enough to make it over the lip.
In every character's case, this means there is a jump discontinuity in their position on-screen as a function of time, at the moment of this movement. (Well, technically you need a Real-valued function for that, and in video games everything is discrete, but it's smooth enough usually that we can pretend there's a continuum of points in 'space' and time).

However, from that, we can realize that in Ganon's case (and, as usual, his case alone), this discontinuity means that his Grab Box teleports through certain points without colliding with them. One moment, it's low near the stage level, the next, it's much higher, and on the other side of Falcon.

Falcon's box was slender enough at that moment that Ray's box went right to Falcon's other side.

For us Ganons, it's something to watch out for, but I wouldn't be too wary of it. It seems an improbable fluke occurrence. If someone could test that would be great, but if I'm right, the best advice is just "Watch your altitude."

Ijosh

Smash Apprentice
real nice matches kalm. shud have been able to tech those up b's against falcon. =p

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Strange, you don't use much upsmash at all in your games. I find that move to be incredible both for baiting and for punishing in general. You barely jab either, wtf! I love both those moves, haha. Our Ganons are way too different.

All I know from these videos is that you punish rolling and spotdodging a lot, which is good. Problem is when people start doing those as often, haha. I don't know why TOJoe kept nairing your shield or fairing when you kept shieldgrabbing him and SDIing out of those moves, but good **** ****ing him up for it.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
@Z1gma: Well, to be honest, when I started playing, I realized that all the T.Vs were something other than LCD. I've always been using a LCD at home, without knowing, and basically adjusted myself to the lag.

Those random DSmash you see, are mostly because of that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Impressive matches I must say.

Spotdodge -> grab was really well executed those matches.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Yes. He's that ****ing good.
It was extremely amusing watching him gradually realize how great a celebrity he is. :laugh: As I think Iliad said in the results thread, "you repped that **** hard."

I can also get behind the refrain on the Ontario scene, "Ganon is [colorful language] scary, yo." :rolleyes:

Oh, I think we will convert this Culex to the pure manliness by year's end. :flame:

:ganondorf:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wait... let me get this straight...

This was your first offline tourny. So basically, you mainly play online. On top of that, you usually play on an LCD TV, meaning even more lag...

HOW ARE YOU SO GOOD?!

Zhouten

Smash Apprentice
Wait... let me get this straight...

This was your first offline tourny. So basically, you mainly play online. On top of that, you usually play on an LCD TV, meaning even more lag...

HOW ARE YOU SO GOOD?!
Seriously, I never understand why people react like that when an amazing wifi player plays offline and turns out to be good. It's the SAME game, just (supposedly) a different speed. If you have a decent connection, the speed really doesn't seem any different to me at all.... maybe most people just have a terrible connection?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Seriously, I never understand why people react like that when an amazing wifi player plays offline and turns out to be good. It's the SAME game, just (supposedly) a different speed. If you have a decent connection, the speed really doesn't seem any different to me at all.... maybe most people just have a terrible connection?
I don't see it that way, but maybe it's because I'm used to playing offline on lagless TVs. When I play on Wifi/LCD TV though, due to input lag, I can't do anything on reaction (Allowing for some 'combos' that aren't really combos and making PSing projectiles require a different timing, and not always being doable on reaction), and some options become a lot more complicated to perform, since if you press multiple buttons in a short time frame (Say jump down and A for an OoS Dair), it doesn;t always read all of them.

Now if you practice on that, then I'd assume you'd get very good at prediction and such BUT have trouble blocking things on reaction, even moreso if it's both combined (LCD + Wifi lag).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
He said he USUALLY plays on LCD TVs. That means everything he usually does he can now do easier, except he loses the WiFi combos, lol.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Oh wifi the LCD is actually better, I believe. >.>

I do lose a lot to wifi combos myself. I can't time anything right really. I just play straight mindgames/prediction on wifi. I just work on my spacing and stuff. I can't really take it seriously, because I can easily airdodge stupid crap like ness's B and Falcon's punch, but with lag my inputs just fail boat and I get caught in stuff I could easily tech out of. Sometimes though, in good connections I can tech recovery after teching the stage two times. Wifi can sometimes make teching very easy if you can time things, but the lag is too variable in my games. It fluctuates and often ruins my flow.

But, I p

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Have you just substituted a 'demonic step' grab in place of the OoS pivot grab until you get it more consistent? I was actually surprised at it's effectiveness to be honest.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Wow ray kalm u really are the best Ganon. that last match vs. Joe was splendid. i really thought u were gonna lose but ur comeback was amazing

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Good **** Kalm, fun matches to watch. Your grab game is impressive.

I noticed that you rolled a lot though. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but you missed a lot of punishing opportunities by rolling instead. Just something I noticed.

Superspright

Smash Lord
He just probably likes to reset his spacing a lot, probably a wifi habit honestly. On wifi it can really help when the matches are laggy. Because for ganon lag is horrible. He needs to predict offline too, but online it is dire otherwise they just input their combo string and you can't really DI or anything correctly in time. But I could be wrong.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Rolling is just a really bad habit I have, going to try and get rid of it. Never knew about it till you guys mentioned it.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Yeah, you should generally only roll if you're in a very bad spot and need to get out of it safely. A lot of people get punished for their rolls, but you stayed safe because you rolled away from your opponent a lot, instead of rolling towards him. However, by rolling away, you wasted a lot of opportunities to punish with Dtilt, Dair, etc..

If you completely cut yourself off from rolling, you'll generally learn to replace rolling with better spacing. I only roll about 0-5 times per match now, and I have to say that my spacing is very good, and it makes me more intimidating.

Also, this is very off-topic, but in speaking of money matches, I may be meeting Fonzi at a tournament in Indianapolis, so expect some epic $MMs to ensue :p

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Hold on...
You play Ganon. I play Ganon. You live in Ontario. I live in Ontario. You play WiFi. I play WiFi.

Kewl. :bee:

Um...semi-on-topic post... I rarely roll, because I usually hold shield, shieldgrab (LOL I'm not Olimar), or thunderstomp OoS.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I roll behind my opponent a lot when they over commit to something, or to reset my spacing. I don't do it 0-5 times in a match, because I think it's a little ridiculous to almost never roll. His back roll is amazing.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Also, this is very off-topic, but in speaking of money matches, I may be meeting Fonzi at a tournament in Indianapolis, so expect some epic $MMs to ensue :p
Vids please!

Also, which tourny is this?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I roll behind my opponent a lot when they over commit to something, or to reset my spacing. I don't do it 0-5 times in a match, because I think it's a little ridiculous to almost never roll. His back roll is amazing.
Ganon is a rare exception to the rule. He rolls faster than he runs, after all. Mostly only use it to get away.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I know this--hence why I roll backwards rather than run away, plus I gain invincibility frames. His roll is insanely long as well, AND fast. And I can shad right out of it if they approach so I can get behind them. I use shading a lot in my game. Probably more than most Ganon's, but I like it better than the demonic step--because I can't do it. If someone could just explain it...because I've just been doing pivot grabs instead, and I want to start doing demonic steps to grab instead. They are better for spacing.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Vids please!

Also, which tourny is this?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255664&page=16

Yeah, his back roll is amazing in comparison to other back rolls. However, rolling in general just isn't a good option if you could punish instead.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
btw,

the edgeguard against Culex' Falcon, first stock game 2, is why I now adore the name 'Double-Cross' for N-Air. :lick:

Ray, are you doing something special with your turnaround grabs OoS, 'cause they seem faster than they should be. And you talk a lot about "doing them," like it's actually a technique.

@Superspright: Demonic Step is nothing but turning around out of a spot dodge, which makes Ganon move forward (as he turns backward). The downside is that you can't do anything while you're moving this way, unless you turn around again and keep walking. It doesn't even give you a boost.

Superspright

Smash Lord
With Ganon I'd rather be sure I can than risk it and get punished myself...Ganon getting hit = death or combo. If they get hit by Ganon it usually just means the spacing is totally reset, or you are chasing their landing--either way I'd rather be safe than sorry. I get combo'd out of my mind sometimes. I don't roll every time someone approaches me and I can't find a way out. I do it only once in a while. I mainly walk.

Top Bottom