• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reacting to player rage

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
There's no hiding it. At some point this game has made all of us feel like flinging our controller through the window. It brings out the rage in us.

How do you react when the dude next to you suddenly has an aneurysm and declares he's going to (asterisk asterisk) your mom at the (asterisk) deli because you keep using that (asterisk) move with that (asterisk) character.

This person is me. A lot.

A good way to react to crazy people like me is:

"Let it out, man." Let them know you understand how it feels.

It is imperative that you remember this during any match as (or against) anyone who plays ICs.

Other suggestions?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well I'm bad so I never really made people rage other than some lucky stuff every now and then. But when I'm angry I just swear a lot (not at my opponent, that's rude). I don't think I ever spiked my controller, but I've gotten close.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I've only raged on Wifi.
But that's****ing gay as, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I had someone rage at me irl when I d-throw tech chased them with Snake into a re-grab like 10 times.

"OMG U MUST BE SO ****ING LONLEY TO RELY ON THAT **** BLAH BLAH" *Pauses and quits*.

I laughed, couldn't help it. I'm not even gooooood. ^_^

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
My tag has the sad effect that can either keep someone calm or make them extremely angry. Some people when they get angry see the smiley as a trollish smile like UMAD (Like when I land a 9)

In reality I just really like smiley faces and I think it's a way of keeping my opponent calm because it's a lighthearted symbol and sorta reminds them that it's just a game. I rather the latter, I just want to have good games when people are at their best and not frustrated.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
There's this one guy I play who rages at every mistake he makes and he makes alot especially ones where he kills himself :laugh:.

It's sorta funny to watch that I feel like chuckling but at the same time he's so serious that I think if I laughed it would only insult him. :urg:

My question is what should you do when your playing against someone who rages like that?

Lucario1337

Smash Journeyman
Eh I raged once when I sd my last stock in a tourny match. Finals to.

But still sometimes people just need to let out there anger on a game, Cant really do much to stop them from raging tho except letting them win.

But how is a win a win if its not legit?

Rekros

Smash Cadet
I froze the first time the guy I just beated raged, threw his controller to the floor, picked it up and left without a word on a tourney =[

lordhelmet

Smash Master
ahah "I think Jeff won" too good

I only really rage at wifi, I never get mad at IRL tournies because I don't have any legit reasons of losing.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I actually broke my controller once enraging.

Tho I don't enrage offline, I'm too shy for that.

TreK

Is "that guy"
If they rage for a legit reason (tripping into my fsmash, randomly letting go of the shield when I was charging one, etc...) I say "I didn't merit this one" or stuff of the like.
If they rage for no reason, though, I laugh at them. But laugh at them in such a way that they understand I'm not laughing at their skill but their reaction : that way, they recall that brawl is just a game and they usually calm down.

Lots of people told me I'm "too fair play to be honest" since as long as I'm not playing I'm just trolling around...

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
playing against people who dont play the game much is always fun

scenario at school
>i beat some kid like 8 times in a row
>he rages
>beat him 8 more times
>claims im too good, and that i need to let other people win
>pick a random character i never play as i think it was DeDeDe
>he picks sonic, his best character
>i still win
>Throws my controller across the room, or at least tried to, instinct made me grab the wire and pull back
>Controller hits him in the face

i lol'ed so hard, he just left crying

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
LOLOL

There was this person who used Sonic and everytime he lost to me (or anyone for that matter... and it was often) he would punch himself in the head!! Really hard!! Like... you could hear the hollow sound of a smack from his hand hitting his skull... it was intense!! I laughed a couple times and had to remove myself from the situation not to seem so rude lol.

When I get mad or something stupid happens, I just cuss and say silly things lol. Sometimes I get mad at myself, but I try not to downtalk myself as much as possible. It's not good for you to show signs of anger towards experienced opponents, because they can take advantage of it. Like if you tell them a move is annoying you, they will probably keep doing it just to piss you off and then you get even angrier and play worse. There are only a few situations where getting angry helps you play better and more focused. You really have to channel that energy though!

There was one time where I go so angry I threw my controller and I was extremely embarrassed at how much rage was inside me because of Smash. It makes you take a step back and helps put a new perspective to the game and how you should treat it. The bottom line is that you need to have fun. <3

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
is it just me or is it Sonic players that rage the hardest?

Maripu

Smash Cadet
I generally just withdraw from their proximity and pretend that I lost until they cool down.

JeanLuc Pika-Q

Smash Rookie
"...well then."

I have probably said that phrase more often than any other. It sums it up perfectly, nothing more needs to be said, and the person in question can interpret however they please.

I don't really personally get riled up at the game, though. As long as I've fought my best and I can feel good about my performance I'm pleased.

MKOwnage

Smash Journeyman
I play at a regional level. I now use Peach.

I was at finals with some weird kid I didn't know and his MK was actually really good. In the final round of our set we were both at high damage and on last stock. He was ledge camping and I was just tossing turnips at him. When I plucked the stitch face and ran for his ledge he attempted to fly under the stage to the other edge. Instead I ran over there and threw it down where it smacked MK square in the face and it killed him.

Weird kid:NOOOOOOO! She is f****ing broken!
Me: Trying not to laugh. (bursts out laughing.)
Weird Kid: (punches me really hard on the shoulder)
Me:Laughs even harder..

It was pretty funny. I usually just cuss under my breathe when things go wrong.

PS: Awwwwww did I win?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I play at a regional level. I now use Peach.

I was at finals with some weird kid I didn't know and his MK was actually really good. In the final round of our set we were both at high damage and on last stock. He was ledge camping and I was just tossing turnips at him. When I plucked the stitch face and ran for his ledge he attempted to fly under the stage to the other edge. Instead I ran over there and threw it down where it smacked MK square in the face and it killed him.

Weird kid:NOOOOOOO! She is f****ing broken!
Me: Trying not to laugh. (bursts out laughing.)
Weird Kid: (punches me really hard on the shoulder)
Me:Laughs even harder..

It was pretty funny. I usually just cuss under my breathe when things go wrong.

PS: Awwwwww did I win?
lol at MK main calling a D tier character broken :laugh: You must be a pretty good player though, still hilarious

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
is it just me or is it Sonic players that rage the hardest?
I was about to ask that. No reason to though because Sonic's just bad. Nothing to do except practice more stuff and not falling into patterns i guess. But im biased since i have an inferiority complex....tch, who am i kidding? I rage too...but its because im making stupid mistakes/playing at a scrubby level.

A sonic player is supposed to enrage the opponent but the backfire is pretty ironic
This is sig worthy.

lol, those stitchfaces makes everyone rage.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't take the game seriously enough to rage. SMG2 is seriously making me rage, though. I will admit I kept getting eaten by Yoshi 10 times in a row (was a bad day for me), and it was getting to me.

Top Bottom