• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

ant-d

Smash Lord
Probably impossible. At least way beyond my capabilities.

You can view the timer, the same way as I do, by using a memory editor program. This will allow you to view any value. eg, DI window, power, hitbox startup etc etc

This way is quite complicated though if your not familiar with the games mechanics...

Thino

Smash Master
Probably impossible. At least way beyond my capabilities.

You can view the timer, the same way as I do, by using a memory editor program. This will allow you to view any value. eg, DI window, power, hitbox startup etc etc

This way is quite complicated though if your not familiar with the games mechanics...
sounds interestng

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
You mean like the advanced tech vid from SSBM by Wak? Not that I'm aware of. If you'd like, go ahead, I'm sure people somewhat new to the game would appreciate it.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be a good idea actually... you could even make it a whole SSB64 online / advanced techniques tutorial. That way, people ask a question, and we send them to your video. It could start off as demonstrating how to use PJ64k and maybe a quick controller calibration, then it could start with all the advanced techs, and you could maybe put some of ant-d's DI clips in it for overall completion, if he'd allow it. But if you didn't want to do it all, people (like me) could help with some stuff to be included, then just make one big video to explain everything, post it, and include the link in this thread.

-MR

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's definitely a good idea.

The next question is: One video for each tech or one for all of them? If someone wants to view a specific thing, it might be easier to have lots of separate videos.

Anyway, I'm sure other people would be happy to help you do this.

Frazzlehoon

Smash Rookie
I have several questions:

I don't really get the concept of how to Slide, like what are the buttons that you need to press in order to pull it off? (Specifically for Fox)

Also, how do you "take stages out of random?"

Lastly, what is the priority order for Fox's aerial attacks?

Thanks! -Frazzle :]

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I don't really get the concept of how to Slide, like what are the buttons that you need to press in order to pull it off? (Specifically for Fox)
Well, if you're talking about button slide, the concept is to simply slide across two or more buttons in that the separate buttons when pressed by sliding will be initiated right after one another faster than if you had pressed the buttons individually. Fox, shinecancel is a perfect example. The quicker you press down B, after sliding from the c button, the shorter/better the shine cancel is, and that is normally achieved through button sliding. It can be done without it, but it probably wont yeild the most useful resaults in the middle of the battle.

Also, how do you "take stages out of random?"
You can't, im assuming they just have a list of unusable stages and when, during random, it is picked, you just pick another one. But there may be a gameshark code for it, at least it seams possible.

I have absolutely no idea, AntD might.

Frazzlehoon

Smash Rookie
For the "Slide," I'm refering to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkRtKck30U
(Except that one is demonstrated with Jiggly. I'm pretty sure the button orders are the same though)

Yea, we have our list, but isn't that a bit of a hassle to keep doing it over and over it if lands on a unusable stage? Anyone else have any other ideas? I don't have gameshark. :[

Thanks for your input! :]

Mura

Smash Apprentice
I thought Fox can slide too though. o.O

Certainly seems like it when you do the same movements with a u-smash with fox. o.O

though it's only two character lengths. ~_~

Frazzlehoon

Smash Rookie
Yea, that's what I read in this thread in the previous posts, like Mura said, its for the Up-Smash. I read it but didn't really get the concept, so I'm asking again. :p

Take some frame data-
So if this was a race to the edge of dreamland this is the order they will finish in.
Time is in frames.

Fastest runners:

1st- Falcon 78

Fox 86 /slide: 84
Are you talking about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptIomZo9FhY

Run, hold backwards for 3 frames, press C or Up.

Both quotes by Ant-D, the first one shows that Fox indeed DOES have a slide, but the second one, would the technique work the same way? I have tried it and it doesn't work for me. :/

Frazzlehoon

Smash Rookie
Whoa! I think I'm able to do it with this technique:
Run, hold backwards for 3 frames, press C or Up, Up smash.

The problem is pretty hard to pull off, and the range isn't that much. (On my screen its only about this far ______ ) Its noticable, to make people go WHOA!, but not far enough to put it to perfect use. Thanks everyone for your help, I think my question has been answered!

Now for my other questions. :p
Also, how do you "take stages out of random?" If it impossible, how then are you supposed to control it?(I'm hosting a small tourney, only 8 people, and I'm wondering how is it going to work?) :[

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
the range isn't that much. (On my screen its only about this far ______ )
Really now? lol.

Anyway I was just thinking of what I've been doing with the different characters since I've started, and I realized that play each one has given me a different set of style and skill. So I thought of which characters to use to best practice different styles of game play. I was thinking of making a thread on that topic. But I'm lazy so I'm just jotting down some basic notes.

For practicing speed/finger quickness - Fox, Falcon
For practicing combos (getting the hang of online delay) - Falcon
For practicing efficiency and defensive play (Make every move count or get *****) - Link, DK
For practicing z-canceling and fastfall z-canceling - Link, then Fox, then Falcon/DK (Difficulty increases)
For practicing short-hop aerials - Pika, Mario, Fox
For practicing button sliding (fast, finger training) - Ness, Fox (SHDL, shine)
For practicing button sliding (slow, controlled) - Ness, Yoshi, Mario, Pika
For practicing against Malva - double shot expresso and aspirin. :laugh:

Yeah it's too late I can't think anymore. Going to sleep.

ant-d

Smash Lord
It depends what you mean by priority.

Invincible frames, strong frames, power and other things make up the perceived priority of an attack.

This is my current frame data for ANA's:

Luigi, Mario, Ness and Pikachu have the most strong frames. This means the attack is stronger (higher percentage and knock back).
This gives you a very general comparison between the prority of ANA's.

If Link and Pikachu jump towards each other and perform ANA, from a +3 frames distance, Pikachu will hit Link. Pikachu has more strong frames. After 2 frames, Link's ANA becomes weak, Pikachu's ANA is still strong.

This example takes everything else as equal, including hitbox location, no invincible frames etc. As I have said before; power, priority, %, invincible frames will be added to this data after the basics are complete.

Discuss this in the frame data thread if you have other questions.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Most games do nowadays, it seems standard enough, and high quality video capture is 60 FPS, and it looks all too smooth, although 30 or so FPS is the usual recording rate.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Just to clear it up, the reason GoW doesnt lag is because of the xbox engine, not the framerate. The thing they were noticing was that the game seemed smooth even with an abnormal 30fps. The more fps something has, the smoother it is but it's also why they are able to keep the frame rate steady at 30. You might have to up the engine a bit to run big fights with a smoother game at 60fps. Would have been awesome though.

jcarter

Smash Rookie
What's the best way to practice shieldbreaker combos? I'm trying to get Ness's aerial combo down, but there's no "Shield" option in training mode, so I have to just keep attacking and hoping they'll shield.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
What's the best way to practice shieldbreaker combos? I'm trying to get Ness's aerial combo down, but there's no "Shield" option in training mode, so I have to just keep attacking and hoping they'll shield.
Well heres how i did it when i WAS gonna make a video on it. This works only if ur playing on the comp btw. I use a controller and i just made the 2nd players shield button the spacebar. Then i would use my foot to press it down and played the game. Or u could use a fat cat ^^

jcarter

Smash Rookie
Well heres how i did it when i WAS gonna make a video on it. This works only if ur playing on the comp btw. I use a controller and i just made the 2nd players shield button the spacebar. Then i would use my foot to press it down and played the game. Or u could use a fat cat ^^
Ah, good idea, thanks. Now I just have to find a second controller, I know there's one in the basement somewhere....

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
My friend once had a controller with a sticky Z button. ...Actually, a broken Z button. Always stuck on Z.

Top Bottom