• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

.Marik

is a social misfit
Very informative, this will definetly help my gameplay in SSB. Especially helpful, and I learned how to do Yoshi's Block canceling. It's always nice to brush up on my skills while playing the SSB games.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
shoudl we all add glitches to this list......like the green shell glitch for mario's tornado....or fox/ness's thunder glitch

asianaussie

Smash Hero
There's this tech I guess nobody bothered picking up since it's so circumstantial...

If you're sent flying and you pass by a platform (in Hyrule or Dream Land, for example), Z-cancelling as you pass the platform (hard to time, I know :\) will change your status from flying and helpless to flying and normal, with the ability to jump back in very quickly.

Is this old, or just been ignored since it's so hard to do/use?

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
There's this tech I guess nobody bothered picking up since it's so circumstantial...

If you're sent flying and you pass by a platform (in Hyrule or Dream Land, for example), Z-cancelling as you pass the platform (hard to time, I know :\) will change your status from flying and helpless to flying and normal, with the ability to jump back in very quickly.

a tech? lol

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero

this is called "teching" xP...but it happens so fast that you just see your char standing up within like a few frames....i do this a lot and usually follow it with a Nair...people run into it and its funny

infernovia

Smash Ace
I just realized that fox's hitbox in his up b extends past him in several frames (most noticeable in the diagonal). This allows him to hit people while he is stuck ramming into the ledge and also allows him to cancel projectiles like I mentioned beforehand (including samus's charge shot).

BTW, just hit link's boomerang and knocked it back.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I just realized that fox's hitbox in his up b extends past him in several frames (most noticeable in the diagonal). This allows him to hit people while he is stuck ramming into the ledge and also allows him to cancel projectiles like I mentioned beforehand (including samus's charge shot).

BTW, just hit link's boomerang and knocked it back.
are you sure about Samus charged shot?

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about the american version or the japanese version? Cause in the japanese one Fox has invincibility frames during the uB :O

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Odd place to ask a question as specific as that Surri, I don't think canceling projectiles with Fox's up-b deserves to be in the general adv. topics discussion, maybe if we had a guide to playing Fox (and if this was something you could do consistently).

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Actually Surri I already wrote a Fox guide :lick:
And House, show me someone that can do that consistently in realtime and I'll put it up. For now, I'm considering that impractical TAS stuff :bee:

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Actually Surri I already wrote a Fox guide :lick:
And House, show me someone that can do that consistently in realtime and I'll put it up. For now, I'm considering that impractical TAS stuff :bee:
man..i know you've done a guide allready, :p...and i knew you where hinting that i should go look at it...but i dont think it covers what i asked :o

Either that or i missed it O_o

joeplicate

Smash Master
so I found out that you can edgehog in your turnaround animation after the initial dash

I'm sure people have known about this
is it widely used though? would it be effective at all?

Superstar

Smash Champion
Actually, I just turn around, time for when their up-B hits the ledge, and edgehog. Double jump if I'm too early.

Not as important as it'd be in Melee, I think. Since stuff like dtitls, usmash, and dash attacks seem to work much better here. I dunno, maybe?

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
on the left area in hyrule if you roll to the wall with fox it is the perfect distance
I know how to set it up, but I'm just saying that doing that type of edgehogging is often much less useful than just jumping backwards and FFing into the ledge at the right moment.

However, if you perfect this dash&pivot edgehog, you could easily bait recovering opponents to the empty, seemingly clear edge by standing far away, then dash and hog it right before they can grab it, as long as you have the timing down. A good mindgame. I think I'll go practice this now just for that :bee:

Curious: Does anyone have a list of which chars CAN dash pivot edgehog and who CAN'T? Just to save me a bit of testing time if someone already knows.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Cant they all do it...but Fox, falcon and luigi can do something extra?

i remember talking to Boom about this one time...but i cant remember xP
Did some testing, everyone can do it more or less, it's just that it's way harder with most characters. With fox it's fairly easy because of his big slide.

What's this something extra those chars can do, if anything?

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
How do I shffl? I can easily get the short hop and the z/l cancel, but the fast fall is the thing I'm having most trouble with since, apparently, you can't ff during the attack animation. I probably just have to have faster fingers, but when should I ff: before or after the attack input?

Thanks in advanced.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
How do I shffl? I can easily get the short hop and the z/l cancel, but the fast fall is the thing I'm having most trouble with since, apparently, you can't ff during the attack animation. I probably just have to have faster fingers, but when should I ff: before or after the attack input?

Thanks in advanced.
That's one big difference from melee, you don't shffl here. Just shl (i don't mean shorthop laser). If you do use a fastfall, it's mostly from a fullhop. So fhffl XD

Superstar

Smash Champion
You can, however, do Shorthop->Fastfall->uair->Z Cancel with certain characters. It kinda buffers if you fastfall a bit later than normal [at the top of your jump] and IMMEDIATELY UpA.

Could not get a match after practicing it though. I'm not desperate enough to go on EGX. :p

Superstar

Smash Champion
With Mario, I saw no use for dairs, since it pretty much ends when it starts. Nairs look hella useful to SHFF, but sometimes I mix up with dair. I'll try B. :D

Got someone in a monster combo last night with an SHFF uair and SH double uairs, but most of the time I messed up because I was still new to the tech. You know, standard overuse and half the time you mess up. WHich is standard whenever you learn anything new. Can get it in practice, but not real match.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
What's the point in shffing a dair with mario? You mightaswell shdair ---> uair to either destroy his shield or start up a huge combo.

Then again, that dair-uair business is tricky if your opponent has good DI. I never really use it with mario although I do have the techskill for it on n64. I'm more of a luigi guy anyway.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
What's the point in shffing a dair with mario? You mightaswell shdair ---> uair to either destroy his shield or start up a huge combo.

Then again, that dair-uair business is tricky if your opponent has good DI. I never really use it with mario although I do have the techskill for it on n64. I'm more of a luigi guy anyway.
The Dair will normally depleat a shield enough for the Uair to connect, and if it doesnt, Cancle and Dtilt ;)

Superstar

Smash Champion
Dtilt, what will dtilt do? Oh, break shield.

People go on about tip of dair->uair, but drill combos suck cause of DI, and it's so predictable because when it combos, that's very close to your only option. So BLEH. It's overrated anyways, FF uairs FTW.

But I forgot how to do it. Might as well fight EGX peeps to practice it, since most have no chance to prevent me from doing it, and the prevention in P2P made me forget how to do it :p

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Dtilt, what will dtilt do? Oh, break shield.

People go on about tip of dair->uair, but drill combos suck cause of DI, and it's so predictable because when it combos, that's very close to your only option. So BLEH. It's overrated anyways, FF uairs FTW.

But I forgot how to do it. Might as well fight EGX peeps to practice it, since most have no chance to prevent me from doing it, and the prevention in P2P made me forget how to do it :p
Actually, I don’t mean “break” the shield with Dtilt, more like go around it. After a DairUair, there should definitely be enough shield damage to allow Dtilt to hit, then you use fireball, and continue your offense…(by this time if you use another DairUair you should almost 100% hit with at least the Uair due to shield damage)

sharksquail

Smash Ace
is the link bomb recovery really something that can be done? every time i try to throw the bomb it goes flying instead of staying anywhere near me.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
is the link bomb recovery really something that can be done? every time i try to throw the bomb it goes flying instead of staying anywhere near me.
Yes. Although every time I use it it's never gotten me far enough to save my life :laugh:

In the air:
Pull out a bomb. Throw it lightly down (the easiest way to do this is to never let go of down after pulling out the bomb and then hitting throw) and do a back air into it. It'll give you a nice little boost, but also make you face the way the bomb hit you from so grabbing the ledge will not always be possible...

I practiced this and learned how to do it by double-jumping off the highest platform on Hyrule and doing it before I hit the ground. You should be able to do it fast enough so that it happens before you hit the ground, otherwise it won't be useful when you're really off the edge anyway.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I wouldn't waste your time learning that untill you've mastered most other things...bomb recovery will very rarly help...it turns you backwards so you cant grab the edge :\

some1rational

Smash Cadet
how do you dash, pivot turn around? as in initial dashing one direction, instantly turning around at the end of dash animation...like specific joystick movement...because it doens't seem to work like melee where u tap down to pivot then tilt the other direction to turn around

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
i think house's drop cancel as well as "fake" jump techniques should be added to the list of advanced techniques even if they are almost humanly impossible to pull off ;)

Top Bottom