• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read this poem.

Marshallmallowlol

Smash Cadet
I am a Forest.
Of gay light unclean.
I am a savior
Of all things it seems.

I glow like the eyes
Of a night owl unseen.
I am the Corrector
Of night things that gleam.

I bid no harm;
No sticks to be broken.
Where light is my charm,
And night is my token.
---------------------------

Thoughts anyone?

Gea

Smash Master
Three days and no response? I'll bite, but only after you answer a few questions:

1. Is this a first draft or a revision
2. Do you want to continue editing this
3. Do you want criticism?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Three days and no response? I'll bite, but only after you answer a few questions:

1. Is this a first draft or a revision
2. Do you want to continue editing this
3. Do you want criticism?
wtf dude, just tell him your thoughts and if you have criticisms, say what they are. why else would he post this in here?

gay as hell

Marshallmallowlol

Smash Cadet
gay as hell
Honestly? Gay as hell. Realllll nice dude.
Learn to appreciate forms of art including poetry.

And yes, any constructive criticism is appreciated. This poem I sat down and whipped up in just a few minutes without any revision, so yeah

jugfingers

Smash Champion
oh sorry
I meant,

your magically iridescent poem gently tickled the ethereal fibers of my soul, softly warming my heart and removed a dark murky obscuration from my mind's eye, allowing me for the first time to see beauty and truth in the universe.

I am forever indebted to your profound literary skills which have provided me with an insight into the very nature of reality.

Gea

Smash Master
I see, well...

I am a Forest.
Of gay light unclean.
I am a savior
Of all things it seems.
Be really careful about using words that don't match in background/origin. What I mean by this is "seems" is a pretty informal day to day speech kind of word, whereas using "gay" in this context should be a clear indication of the stepping back from colloquialisms. Also "seems" is sort of a copout line. The narrator isn't convicted in being a savior? He only thinks so? It lessens the impact.

Being a forest of light is an interesting image, and the forest being capitalized makes me focus on the importance of the forest.

I glow like the eyes
Of a night owl unseen.
I am the Corrector
Of night things that gleam.
Be very careful about the repetition of closely related works when they are in focal positions (such as stops at the ends of lines). "seems" and "unseen" are both similar sounding visually-oriented words but the meanings here do not correlate; in fact they are opposite in nature. This can slow down the fluidity of the work. Also avoid ambiguous words if at all possible. "Night things that gleam" makes me think first of the moonlight, but then of eyes of creatures (such as the owl mentioned).

Meaning wise, I am starting to get a sort of "batman" vibe. An unclean protector/corrector of the night. Contrasting images, but the clarity is a bit vague for my liking. I would love to hear what you had in mind.

I bid no harm;
No sticks to be broken.
Where light is my charm,
And night is my token.
Definitely your strongest stanza, for a few reasons. First is that your cadence is the most powerful in these lines. Your word choice is precise and the narrator has confidence. Not "I may bid no harm," you make it clear their stance. Very tight lines and cleans up some of the issues from the first two stanzas by tying them together.

I still have to ask what this is specifically about. I would also suggest counting syllables and matching the stanzas up if you are going to use ABAB rhyme pattern. Rhyming poems demand a level of attention to not waste the effort in matching up sounds and ignoring this makes it stumble. It also tends to sound like a bad nursery rhyme of the lines aren't as crisp as they could me. This poem overall has romantic archetypes (the moon, the night, light, eyes, etc) so I would consider making this into a sonnet.

wtf dude, just tell him your thoughts and if you have criticisms, say what they are. why else would he post this in here?
WTF dude, do you not understand how important it is to understand where an author is with his work? If it's a first draft certain things are more acceptable than someone who thinks they have a polished item. Knowing what the author is wanting to get feedback on helps tremendously.

Furthermore, you should be fired from being a mod if this is where you mod because you are worse than anyone else in this thread. You have contributed nothing besides snarky comments.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
WTF dude, do you not understand how important it is to understand where an author is with his work? If it's a first draft certain things are more acceptable than someone who thinks they have a polished item. Knowing what the author is wanting to get feedback on helps tremendously.
No, I don't. I believe in this philosophy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_author

knowing which specific draft it is is pretty irrelevant.

Thank you for giving an actual critique.

Top Bottom