• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reading DI and SDI tips

Lech Walesa

Smash Cadet
Okay, folks, I use Falco, and am just learning Falcon. I SUCK at reading DI, SDI--even against computers. Some of the time I have no problem with combos. Other times I just completely fail. ( I play a lot, and I have been steadily getting better with said problem.) I think I'm just not understanding something.

What are some tips, or good practice to remedy this ailment? What are the core attributes in understanding DI and SDI: AI and human?

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
When trying to read DI, its dependent on a few things. Your finger speed, reaction speed, and your ability to pressure an opponent being most important. In your first match with anyone what you should be doing is learning to read their movements, how they react around the edge, how they want to control the stage, and you should be formulating counter strategies as you play.

In general though with most players, if you're near a edge they'll unconsciously try to DI away from whatever ledge they're nearer to in a effort to regain composure and get stage control back. If you're center stage it's pretty much a educated guess based on the player habits that you pick up. I.e. if they're prone to go more left than right or vice versa.

Bones0

Smash Legend
In the instant before you are actually able to react to their DI, use that time to position yourself so that you can cover their options immediately available to them. React instead of predict whenever possible. If you dair someone standing by the ledge as Falco, you don't just guess if they DIed away or DIed in. You simply begin running towards them and time your jump differently based on how they DIed. Another example can be seen from top Falcon players. As they tech chase, they are constantly making adjustments during dthrow tech chases. They may WD forwards or backwards to force the teching player to land in areas that are easy to hit hard. If they tech in place and you are too close to dash into a SHFFL and too far to simply SHFFL in place, then they're probably going to escape or at least force you to use a less than optimal punish.

A lot of stuff with DI you will simply learn in time. You will get a feel for when the opponent is going to DI away because you'll notice when DIing in gives you a free hit to continue the combo. You'll also get a feel for how when a player's % is higher and higher, they are more and more likely to survival DI (DIing towards the stage) as opposed to combo DIing (DIing away from the stage and the opponent). If you go to the Falcon forums and find the thread with a bunch of good posts, you can search for a post G-reg made about DI, player habits, etc. He basically talks about how he makes DI work for him instead of letting it mess up his combos.

Lech Walesa

Smash Cadet
Thank you, both of you. Very insightful and helpful. A lot of times, mostly against my friend,--the only one I play melee with--I feel like I'm either making bad choices to which move to follow suite, or I'm just not getting a grip with his DI.

If you go to the Falcon forums and find the thread with a bunch of good posts, you can search for a post G-reg made about DI, player habits, etc. He basically talks about how he makes DI work for him instead of letting it mess up his combos.
I'll be doing this momentarily.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
In the instant before you are actually able to react to their DI, use that time to position yourself so that you can cover their options immediately available to them.
This is good advice. When I started playing with high skill players I realized how much more important positioning is when your opponent can use more advanced techniques consistently.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
when I'm doing combos that I know are effected by DI/SDI, I learn the optimal way to DI/SDI out of them, and look for visual cues as to wether or not my opponent does it correctly (it takes practice), a lot of which just comes from knowing how well my opponent is able to DI.
Its pretty difficult, so I choose options that work most of the time.
I also play ICs. so there are two of me. this helps a lot.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
you do read di though hax when you combo like if you're expecting them to di in then you choose not to knee for example. im not sure if thats what the thread is for but that is what i like to consider as reading di. i mean of course you react after your move hits but reading di leads you to make the right move choices.
for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8KYticGcFo#t=5m35s

you read orlys di in twice when you upaired and you naired in the last few hits of that combo right?

D

Deleted member

set up situations where you can react instead and do guaranteed things. if you have to "read" DI in an honest sense you're probably doing bad things that don't actually work.

Lech Walesa

Smash Cadet
This is good advice. When I started playing with high skill players I realized how much more important positioning is when your opponent can use more advanced techniques consistently.
I understand positioning as center stage and spacing, is there more? I haven't been to a tournament yet, so if you would explain your experience, that would be greatly appreciated. :awesome:

when I'm doing combos that I know are effected by DI/SDI, I learn the optimal way to DI/SDI out of them, and look for visual cues as to wether or not my opponent does it correctly (it takes practice), a lot of which just comes from knowing how well my opponent is able to DI.
Its pretty difficult, so I choose options that work most of the time.
I also play ICs. so there are two of me. this helps a lot.
What are some of the visual clues? And, if you have the time, an example, please. :)

what is reading DI? react.
Ya' know, I believe reaction is a lot better than reading DI. But, what do you react on? Just covering all options?

set up situations where you can react instead and do guaranteed things. if you have to "read" DI in an honest sense you're probably doing bad things that don't actually work.
I've actually been doing that! And, I believe you're right. A lot of times, I know what will chain into a combo, it's when I try to avoid that pattern, I fail. But, from what I read from Pee Pee's thread, it's just learning. That's why I was want a better understanding of DI/SDI.

Top Bottom