• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Real Emo Music

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
The latter of the two.

Elliot Smith always sounded pretty emo to me.

GREENLINKWORTHING

Smash Rookie
the only "popular" or "mainstream" band making decent emo music these days is Jimmy Eat World.... and fugazi rule!

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
KevinMMMMMM, I'm impressed. Quite surprised to see a thread like this on SWF. Amanda Woodward and City of Caterpillar are some of my favorite bands.

I searched One Piece and this came up. Nice find. :"P

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
CK speaks the truth, "emo" is a fad, it will be gone in a few years anyway and be replaced by something else equally stupid.

QUIVO

Smash Master
It's true, indie is the new emo. I have a friend that was obsessed with being emo, now he says he's indie. His hairs grown out more, still wears girls jeans, and pretty much has the same shirts. lol

Emo and screamo suck.

Circle Takes the Square is aight.

I've also heard emo/"indie" kids say that Taking Back Sunday is indie lol.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I myself can't stand the fact that people are stereotyping music and the term "emo", and pretty much sgregating it from our lives. MAYBE THA IS WHY THEY ARE SAD! IF YOU KEEP QUESTIONING THEIR LIFESTYLE, THEY WILL CRY AND GET EVEN MORE SAD AND THEN THERE WILL BE PEOPLE WHO WILL FINALLY RISE UP AND THERE WILL BE ANOTHER WAR AND THEY WILL WIN 'CAUSE THEY ARE NOW IMPERVIOUS TO PAIN BECAUSE OF WHAT WE DID AND WE WILL BE OVERRUN BY "EMO" PEOPLE!!!

...had you goin, didn't i? Nah, a genre shouldn't really be segregated against. The music, i believe, is really good in some cases. Such bands that fit the genre that i believe are amazing are Thursday, Senses Fail, Moneen, and From First To Last.

Circle Takes the Square is pretty good, but i've heard better.
Rites Of Spring are OK too.

Right now my faves have to be more along the screamo/metal side, but i do listen to DCFC, and they rock. Also, listen to any song by Pierce The Veil or Senses Fail (off the album Let It Enfold You). Very emo under your descriptions.

Also, for laughs, listen to "Half Empty, Half Full, I Never Got A Glass To Start With" by Moneen and tell me that isn't the darkest upbeat song you've ever heard.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
It's true, indie is the new emo. I have a friend that was obsessed with being emo, now he says he's indie. His hairs grown out more, still wears girls jeans, and pretty much has the same shirts. lol

Emo and screamo suck.

Circle Takes the Square is aight.

I've also heard emo/"indie" kids say that Taking Back Sunday is indie lol.
I don't like CTTS at all. What screamo bands do you listen to that led you to the conclusion that the whole genre sucks?... Because I can't blame you if CTTS was the only one.

Right now my faves have to be more along the screamo/metal side, but i do listen to DCFC, and they rock. Also, listen to any song by Pierce The Veil or Senses Fail (off the album Let It Enfold You). Very emo under your descriptions..
Pierce the Veil nor Senses Fail fit the Emo genre. Senses Fail is pop punk/post-hardcore, and Pierce the Veil is pop indie music.

Ugh, my external harddrive recently broke and I lost like 70gigs of music... ;~;

Though, gotta say my favorite band of all time is Orchid. Best screamo band ever.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Senses fail doesn't? Wow, my view of mo is much different than i thought....

The reason I considered them emo is because their lyrics pretty much fit the bill.

"NJ FALLS INTO THE ATLANTIC"

CHORUS
And it's 4 A.M. and we will stalk again
The princess and her bitter queen
On the 4th day of July
Deep in summer's eye
Naked like the truth should always be...

So speak your knives
Don't follow with your foot
All this pain here
All comes from your dry lung
I won't listen
Your rhetoric is fleeting
My joints are fixed with glue...

Coming straight from off the waters
Sunburned face and drunken father
Crying as she's carving in her flesh...

(CHORUS)

This failed art
Of palm trees and trash sheets
This burning bed
Where my ghost will not sleep...

Watching romance from a far seat
Bleeding from the glass on my feet
Learning that I love the smell of flesh...

(CHORUS)

An angel on it's two knees
Arms stretched toward a red sea
Of violence and a soltry tongue
This scenic view of carnage
Cut by the sword in his hands
The beauty resonates in birth...

It's plain to see
The wind beneath the trees
Flowing free
The summer breeze is sweet...

I lay in space
Choked by my own air
I love the taste
Of your blackened lips...

(CHORUS)

I'm suprised that doesn't qualify as emo...
Oh well, I can't win 'em all. Good day.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Emo music isn't necessarily solely driven by its lyrics. It's about the actual music, as well.

Early emo sounds a lot like hardcore punk.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Emo as a fad needs to ****ing die. I remember when Emo was called Punk. Want to make an emo song? Take any punk song, rip out any sense of taste and purpose that it had (not much with punk music ANYWAY and that's on purpose), add some ****ty lyrics about how your life sucks and ****, and bam, Emo. Want a screamo song? Take grunge, which was 10,000 times better than Punk in my opinion, take out the purpose of it, and add ****ty lyrics about how your life sucks and ****, and the occasional "YEAAAAAAAAAAA," from some little ***** who couldn't scream his way out of something fitting with such an activity.

I listen to death metal, metal, hard rock, prog rock, jazz, classical, and classic rock. Emo bands cannot even touch any of the bands I know on the best days.
Win. I completely agree.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Emo as a fad needs to ****ing die. I remember when Emo was called Punk. Want to make an emo song? Take any punk song, rip out any sense of taste and purpose that it had (not much with punk music ANYWAY and that's on purpose), add some ****ty lyrics about how your life sucks and ****, and bam, Emo. Want a screamo song? Take grunge, which was 10,000 times better than Punk in my opinion, take out the purpose of it, and add ****ty lyrics about how your life sucks and ****, and the occasional "YEAAAAAAAAAAA," from some little ***** who couldn't scream his way out of something fitting with such an activity.

I listen to death metal, metal, hard rock, prog rock, jazz, classical, and classic rock. Emo bands cannot even touch any of the bands I know on the best days.
What a marvelous generalisation of both genres!

I love how you used screamo and grunge in the same context, and to even think that screamo derives from GRUNGE - hah.

You must be listening to god knows what, but screamo doesn't have "the occasional 'YEAAAAAAAAAAAA'" in it. However, I believe plenty of metal and hard rock bands do, yes?

Orchid's brutal presence and music stomps all over death metal.

Please don't make the mistake of coupling emo and screamo with ****ty lyrics again because it's obvious someone has mislead you. Tell me you've never felt the same way as this song:

we smiled and said
"I'll see you this summer."

-but we know that it was over.
That's just what you say to someone
who's dying.
that's just what you say.
This is to us.
our hands fit, at least for a while.
I miss the face, I miss the taste
I'm sorry about it all...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GQlWB0A8SOU

UncleGene

Smash Rookie
Some of Envy's earlier work is incredible. Even their newer records have a hint of it among the hardcore and post rock sounds.

Admittedly I don't know much about the genre so I could be a little off base, but I recommend Envy's "A Dead Sinking Story" to everyone all the same.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
**** Cat Fight know's his stuff.
=^__^= <3 Soulseek screamo chat circa 2002 lol.

Some of Envy's earlier work is incredible. Even their newer records have a hint of it among the hardcore and post rock sounds.

Admittedly I don't know much about the genre so I could be a little off base, but I recommend Envy's "A Dead Sinking Story" to everyone all the same.
Envy is amazing. They're releasing a split with Thursday soon(ish)... preesh!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Just got back from Rasputin's and found a copy of Rites of Spring's self-titled. It's good stuff.

Why do some people consider Fugazi and fIREHOSE as bands that can be emo, where Minor Threat and Minutemen, the bands they evolved from, aren't?

Sandoggg

Smash Apprentice
Ok honestly with all these no genre's of pop-punk and pop-hardcore coming out with the likes of P!ATD and FOB i want to see peoples responses to what they consider real emo bands. I listen to nothing but music all day and i'm sick of hearing people brag about the new emo sensation MCR, like what the **** seriously?

Ok look Emo was started way back in the 80's as the band Rites of Spring began in their hardcore roots straight from Fugazi and other influential underground hardcore "grunge" bands.

After Rites of Spring i mean the basically dropped one or two people, picked up one more and named themselves One Last Wish..

So what do you consider "Real" Emo Bands... if i hear one of you mention FOB, MCR, or P!ATD i will cry...

Just a small quick list of current favorite emo bands
i would set myself on fire for you
i, robot
saetia
hot cross
city of caterpillar
embrace
moss icon
amanda woodward
mohinder
Circle Takes the Square
ok, sorry if this was discussed somewhere else, but i just had to respond to this right when i saw it. among the less popular forms of underground music, there's a lot of misclassification. sorry to say, but among the bands here that i know, saetia, hot cross, ctts, i would call none of them emo. in fact, i think ctts and saetia are what many argue for as 'real sceamo'. screamo being another commonly misclassified genre. i would also call hot cross progressive hardcore, with the complex guitar work very similar to the fall of troy.

i've given up on defining music solely as emo. i use it more as an adjective than a genre. for example, one of my favorite albums of all time, a weekend in the city by bloc party, is indie pop. however, over half the songs are about regret, with one even being about suicide. would i describe bloc party as emo? no. would i describe the songs as emo? i suppose i would.
anyway, i really don't want to get into this, but i suppose it's a little late for that. nevertheless, i'm backing out for now.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace

ignorant generalization, you seem to like "smart" music you say prog, death metal, jazz; actual "good" emo music is usually along those lines with unusual time signatures and such. Emo started as an offshoot of hardcore (if you want music with a PURPOSE try hardcore) and has since degenerated into a fashion show with some of the worst bands around, in the beginning though there was some actual good emo bands.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
i lhave recently been listening to damiera and cursive a lot.
they're both more indie.. but whatever. good stuff.

Top Bottom