• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Real Men Use Items: Sakurai Explains the Friends List on Brawl

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
lulz.
at least there aren't any of these scrubs in here going, "ZOMG THIS CONFIRMS MEGAMAN"
...hate those kids. I don't even go through the general discussion threads anymore because I end up just getting confused at the perverse logic of some of these noobs.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
Interesting that most names on the pictures are 4 letter names, such as in melee, but Sakurai gets 5! he must be special in some way. I hope names for online playing are longer than 5 characters.

EDIT: I guess i missed that one last picture where it shows the names are 5 characters long.

Yet every name they use on the site for the samples are 3-4 letters long. Skrai ain't special anymore XD.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
To all the people that said "I knew it wasn't going to be a big update", nah, you didn't. Sorry!
There is a difference between knowing and expecting. Some people were expecting a huge update since it was the original American release date (and only American release date...), however, I can say I knew this would not be a massive apology update like some people expected. I didn't know if it would be "big" though in terms of a newcomer or a game mode. How? Did Japan get a massive apology update on the 24th of November? Nope...

Interesting that most names on the pictures are 4 letter names, such as in melee, but Sakurai gets 5! he must be special in some way. I hope names for online playing are longer than 5 characters.
I am pretty sure all versions of the game support up to five symbols... considering the original Wifi update shows players with 5 character names and confirmed this.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I made a comic for the occasion. It's supposed to be funny, don't take it seriously.
I missed the funny.

Also, the whole Final Destination thing has been played out already. The funny ones aren't even funny anymore.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I missed the funny.

Also, the whole Final Destination thing has been played out already. The funny ones aren't even funny anymore.
Oh it's in regards to the Harvey's commercials. "At Harvey's, there's a burger with your name on it.", and it shows a random guy choosing what he wants on his burger. And when the Gordon commercial plays he only get's ketchup. "Hah hah! Attaboy, Gordo!"

Rash

Smash Ace
That comic is actually pretty darn funny.

I don't care if the FD thing is played out. Like all stereotypes, that one has a lot of truth to back it up.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Tl;dr

Nah, that's not really accurate.

A more accurate analogy would be that a single group ate traditional hamburgers for a long time (nearly four years), with everything that was expected of a traditional hamburger. Then, a few people eating traditional hamburgers decided that the traditional hamburger could be improved to more fit their personal tastes, and they began removing parts of the hamburger from the recipe and adding things of what they considered a more refined hamburger palette. To them, this hamburger had a lot more range and flavor than a regular hamburger, and they all enjoyed the hamburger together and tried to share it with the people who still loved the traditional hamburger and had either tried and disliked or never liked the new hamburger.

The traditional hamburger lovers couldn't understand why people would *want* a new hamburger! Don't they want something that actually tastes good? The people with the new hamburger couldn't understand what they were complaining about... Nobody was forcing them to eat the new hamburger, they were merely suggesting .Some who liked the traditional hamburger thought the same. Then a few of each side began to argue about the superiority of their hamburger recipes, saying that only a true hamburger fan would prefer one over the other.

And very, very few people will just sit down, shut up, and enjoy their hamburgers.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
YES.
CHARACTER SHADOWS HAVE BEEN FIXED.
THE GAME IS TOTALLY NEARING PERFECTION.

[capslock]

Fawriel

Smash Master
I appreciated the comic when I didn't understand it and saw it as some sort of random funny gibberish.

Now it's just dumb on a grand scale.

A more accurate analogy would be that a single group ate traditional hamburgers for a long time (nearly four years), with everything that was expected of a traditional hamburger. Then, a few people eating traditional hamburgers decided that the traditional hamburger could be improved to more fit their personal tastes, and they began removing parts of the hamburger from the recipe and adding things of what they considered a more refined hamburger palette. To them, this hamburger had a lot more range and flavor than a regular hamburger, and they all enjoyed the hamburger together and tried to share it with the people who still loved the traditional hamburger and had either tried and disliked or never liked the new hamburger.

The traditional hamburger lovers couldn't understand why people would *want* a new hamburger! Don't they want something that actually tastes good? The people with the new hamburger couldn't understand what they were complaining about... Nobody was forcing them to eat the new hamburger, they were merely suggesting .Some who liked the traditional hamburger thought the same. Then a few of each side began to argue about the superiority of their hamburger recipes, saying that only a true hamburger fan would prefer one over the other.

And very, very few people will just sit down, shut up, and enjoy their hamburgers.
You deserve a hug.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
This update made me rofl across the floor. I have a friend named Nate who mains Peach! :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

This update did give us some interesting info, though. Looks like there are 64 friends list slots (which is a nice, big number), and the connection-teller thingy is a good addition.

tirkaro

Smash Champion

well said, eternal dreams, well said.

oh, and final destination comics stopped being funny before they were concepted.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I've heard people complain that 64 friends is a limit that is too small. I personally dont think that someone could fill their friend list and then later not be able to choose who to delete when they need to add a new friend. There's hardly even 64 smashers in Florida that are worth playing. :):)

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Too bad it holds true to most Americans. And yes, I'm an American myself
Your view is biased and it offends me. I'll have you know that you're making a flawed distinction, since it is human nature over all to want to have everything be spoon fed to us because frankly, that is how all human beings start out, spoon fed everything, food, toys, sleep, everything. It holds true for EVERYONE.

I think it's because America has a larger population than Japan so that's why games sell better in America.
No, it's fact other countries have different tastes than others. This is why games like Twilight Princess sold better over here in the states, and not because we have more people.

It was still based off assumption though. And we all know what happens when someone assumes.
I don't really have anything to say to that except: Irony.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
This update was one word...Disapointing. Mostly because I only have one friend with a wii and he doesn't have it connect to the internet.

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
Sakurai says "MWA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!"

Sakurai is basically saying "Good things come to those who wait." You people can't wait for a good update, that's why he's doing this. Oh, and could possibly be because of the fact that there are people who, I dunno, HAVEN'T PLAYED SMASH YET?!!!!!!! HM?!!!!!! Whiners... Oh, and I am now going to post a random quote with my posts just for the fun of it... If any body RAZZLE FRAZZLE HARBA GLOO!!! cares. (I like this post, by the way) Okay, first quote!

People die.-Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece.:laugh::laugh::laugh::chuckle:

Fawriel

Smash Master
most likely.
=2007=
Or how about you consider the fact that this stuff is translated by a guy called Nate, or look at the fact that the original Japanese update contains a screenshot that obviously contains a completely different line in that place, before making ridiculous claims?

RedKnight

Smash Ace
True japan is not Christian, however its my understanding that they celebrate Christmas anyways, though not for the religious part of it

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Wow... I hate to be so... diss... y? But this update was terrible. There was NO POINT in updating something he basically ALREADY SAID WAS IN. We could've at least gotten an Item or something with it, but no...

Man, I hate to sound so spoiled and such, but come on. And on December 3rd. WE COULD BE PLAYING BRAAAAWWWLLL...

EPX2

Smash Ace
Hahahaha

I find the fact that so many people were expecting a major update due to the delay (as if the NA is the only region this game was being released in) and ended up being disappointed to be quite funny (schadenfreude :D), but I find the fact that users here are actually upset about that "Real men use items!" crack to be even more hilarious. Jesus Christ, lighten up, people. Anyone who's seriously pissed off about that needs to jump off a cliff.

Nj Hudz

Smash Apprentice
this update sucked, but did anyone else notice the freind code?
9999-9999-9999

superorange

Smash Rookie
I was really holding out for something like "You STILL have to recover!" today.

Instead we got the part that makes online not fun. Good enough. :D

Nj Hudz

Smash Apprentice
today I was hoping for: brawl on shop channel, 2 new chars, 1 subspace, and a galaxy stage.............................and boy, was i dissapointed.

Top Bottom