• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reasons for choosing Zelda

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Why did you choose to play as Zelda or and Sheik?

I like her playstyle, but mostly because she's one of my favorite nintendo characters. And She's the only mage.

Her sweetspots are another reason why I chose to play as her and of course you get 2 characters in one which comes with a bunch of bonuses.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
I like Zelda because of how elegant she plays - which is why I like Helena in DoA also. Not to mention landing all her sweet spotted kicks + surround sound is so satisfying to hear XD.

S2

Smash Lord
The real reason is that I was a Sheik main who picked up Zelda late in Melee for friendlies. Due to a few of Sheik's nerfs in Brawl, I don't enjoy her as much, so I picked up Zelda. She actually plays pretty counter to what I usually enjoy (aggressively fast aerial characters)

But if anyone asks, its because she's hawt.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well back in Melee I used mainly Sheik but as time went on I found her very hard to use in FFA or doubles so I decided to look into Zelda a bit. She quickly became one of my top three characters and in the end she was my respectable second.

In Brawl, I was at first very against using Zelda as part of my Sheik strategy but characters such as Toon link, Marth, and a few others have proven themselves too hard to rack up damage upon and then kill so I’ve started to look into Zelda, again.

She’s currently my third.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I was inspired by some Melee vids of Zelda. I never knew she had lightning kicks and magical prowess until I saw vids. So, I just had to try her out, and she fits me like a glove. My playstyle is very defensive and Zelda is all about waiting and countering. I also noticed from the Melee boards that Zelda had the least amount of extraordinary players so I thought, "Why not be a Zelda mainer, not that many people are good with her." I will always be a Zelda mainer and hope to be one of the best.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
I chose her because she's guaranteed to be top tier lololololz :psycho:. :p

Totally kidding hehe. Really though I chose her because she's one of my favorite characters and I love the LoZ series. If I like them from their respected series I am determined to main them. That is why I used Link in Melee along with Zelda and still use them in Brawl. Also why I picked up Snake and Toon Link. Nothing else really matters to me I learned to love her moveset simple as that. Everything else is just a bonus.:bee:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
She's fightin' uphill. All defense and no approach (B-sticking Din's DI aside). All that power bottled up in her awkward moveset. Such things call out to me to be broken.

She got the needed buff (plus new physics are friendly to her), while her moves are still just difficult-but-awesome enough that she yet entices me.

Plus, of course, the hawtness. Purple dress ftw. :p

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I chose her because she's guaranteed to be top tier lololololz :psycho:. :p
Lol I know you're kidding, but I choose her because I think she is the most powerful.
I also think she requires some of the greatest amount of practice to tap into that power.

She doesn't have a single bad move, and she has some of the best KO potential in the game.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I love her character in the LOZ series.
Especially OOT Zelda. Such contradicition in one character. She's wise, yet naive. Strong, yet weak. She's a world of contradictions, and I love that.
She's my favourite videogame character, so that's also a major point for maining her xD

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
I love her character in the LOZ series.
Especially OOT Zelda. Such contradicition in one character. She's wise, yet naive. Strong, yet weak. She's a world of contradictions, and I love that.
She's my favourite videogame character, so that's also a major point for maining her xD

I completly agree with you. I'm not sure if she's my favorite video game character though. Come to think of it, I don't have a favorite video game character. :confused: Weird

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
Dins
Fire
Spam

I actually don't like her in the Zelda games. She's fairly useless for the most part. Except for when she shot the crap out of Ganondorf in Twilight Princess.

Also didn't choose her for looks. Samus and Peach got that part covered.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Zelda has class. Peach is a ****. And Zamus just likes to show off her body, but no guy could ever tap it.

Anyway, Zelda can gimp a lot of people that are deemed top tier, except for G&W. G&W is just gay though.

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
She's hot... and flexible.
I hate to break the trend, but I was initially interested because she hasn't fallen victim to the shallow game developer trying to appeal to a 15 year old's space rocket. It's seriously hard to find a female character in any game who garnishes character outside of sexual appeal.

Peach is a ****.
Yeah... for as much as Sakurai talked about how he just wants everyone to enjoy playing and not worry about winning or losing, that sure didn't stop them from giving her the most sarcastically contrived score screen taunt in the game.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Honestly? I sometimes choose Zelda because it seems like Zelda in this game is what Mewtwo was originally supposed to be in Melee. Powerful, great projectile, fast, insane priority, but light and huge.

All she's missing is power throws.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
If she had that she would be broken (more than she already is:psycho::psycho::psycho::psycho:)
It's hard enough to land the grab, can't even shield grab. I think it'd be nice if I could toss some distance with it.

Anyway, know who I think the continuation of Mewtwo is?
. . . Lucas.

Think about it.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I use her because she reminds me much of myself. And I love the LoZ series. I think Link saving Zelda is a bit overrated nowadays. Zelda can totally hold her own at anytime without the mute hero...

Rew

Smash Journeyman
I use her because she reminds me much of myself. And I love the LoZ series. I think Link saving Zelda is a bit overrated nowadays. Zelda can totally hold her own at anytime without the mute hero...
Funny you mention that. Because anytime Link and Ganondorf will fight, Link will always come out on top. Yet if Link and Zelda were ever to duel (and that battle in TP doesn't count, since she was possessed by the inept Ganondorf), then I think Zelda would totally have a chance of owning Link! But I suppose such scenarios (i.e. Link vs. Zelda, Bowser vs. Ganon) are the whole point of the Smash series after all? :)

whitshadw8

Smash Rookie
I starting playing Zelda because her fsmash and upsmash lasted so unusually long. I used to hate being caught up in those attacks cause they really look like they hurt. But, being the one doing the attack feels great. She's currently my 2nd character. For some reason I can only use Peach and Zelda in the game.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I starting playing Zelda because her fsmash and upsmash lasted so unusually long. I used to hate being caught up in those attacks cause they really look like they hurt. But, being the one doing the attack feels great. She's currently my 2nd character. For some reason I can only use Peach and Zelda in the game.
You and I are similar. Zelda and Peach are my mains as well

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Heartz, thank you for posting in my thread. It's an honor. There are many other reasons why I use Zelda. I love her character. She's cute I'll admit it. She's such a nice person. The list goes on and on. Link and Her just might be my favorite video game characters afterall.

Xero67

Smash Rookie
I played a lot of melee with Shiek and never really bothered switching to Zelda but when she got buffed in brawl i leaned more towards her and uh...

freeze frames.....

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i use her b/c her character's stlye seems to fit best with me.

on the other hand maybe i for some reason i am drawn to girly characeters in 64 i played jiggs in melee i played peach and now i play zelda. kinda weird i think

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I chose her because the first time i played OoT i totally fell in love with her <3 and she has been my main since meele

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
OoT is such a good game. :) I first played it only 6 months ago. (I knew it ws out in it first was out, but was too young to really remeber) It feels like I played 10 years ago. It feels like classic.

pwnaj

Smash Rookie
i mained sheik back in melee, and samus was my secondary character. when brawl came out i tried to stay with sheik, but her moves are nowhere near a powerful as in melee. now zelda, shes the perfect defensive/team player. with powerful counter attacks and her amazing recovery, thus making her superior to sheik. now dont even get me started on why i no longer main samus...

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
i mained sheik back in melee, and samus was my secondary character. when brawl came out i tried to stay with sheik, but her moves are nowhere near a powerful as in melee. now zelda, shes the perfect defensive/team player. with powerful counter attacks and her amazing recovery, thus making her superior to sheik. now dont even get me started on why i no longer main samus...
Because she turned into a slu-*shot* lol. jk jk

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I maied her Melee because she had more appealing moves than Peach. Now that Zelda's so awesome in Brawl, there's no reason why I should not main her.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Zelda is the only mage in the game, which makes her quite the formidable opponent. I haven't lost a Zelda-to-Zelda battle yet, but I will tell you that most of them have been very close. I don't mean to brag, of course. I just can't use anyone else against Zelda. That's just how tough she is.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Zelda is the only mage in the game, which makes her quite the formidable opponent. I haven't lost a Zelda-to-Zelda battle yet, but I will tell you that most of them have been very close. I don't mean to brag, of course. I just can't use anyone else against Zelda. That's just how tough she is.
Soon, you'll be defeated Heartz. The time will come. Good luck in the tourney! Whenever it is.

Garde

Smash Ace
I dabbled in all the characters in Melee, but I spent a considerable amount of time with all the characters from the Legend of Zelda series.

When ZSS was first revealed to be playable in Brawl, I decided she was going to be my main, and I stuck with her for several months. Sadly, she's sort of lost a lot of her appeal to me, as her play style was not exactly what I was hoping for (way too dependent upon gimmicky spacing).

Zelda, on the other hand, has turned out to be very solid and (for the most part) straightforward. I find myself falling back to the wielders of the Triforce, as I'm playing Link and Zelda far more often than ZSS, and enjoying the game much more while playing them (maybe I am just a jerk that loves to spam projectiles, though).

My two best characters at this point are Zelda and Link, and while my time spent learning the ins and outs of ZSS has given me valuable insight in playing as and against a complex character, I wish I had spent more time since Brawl's release on two characters that have been a beacon in my gaming experience throughout my life.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
I dabbled in all the characters in Melee, but I spent a considerable amount of time with all the characters from the Legend of Zelda series.

When ZSS was first revealed to be playable in Brawl, I decided she was going to be my main, and I stuck with her for several months. Sadly, she's sort of lost a lot of her appeal to me, as her play style was not exactly what I was hoping for (way too dependent upon gimmicky spacing).

Zelda, on the other hand, has turned out to be very solid and (for the most part) straightforward. I find myself falling back to the wielders of the Triforce, as I'm playing Link and Zelda far more often than ZSS, and enjoying the game much more while playing them (maybe I am just a jerk that loves to spam projectiles, though).

My two best characters at this point are Zelda and Link, and while my time spent learning the ins and outs of ZSS has given me valuable insight in playing as and against a complex character, I wish I had spent more time since Brawl's release on two characters that have been a beacon in my gaming experience throughout my life.
Zelda and Link are my best mains too...

Garde

Smash Ace
well, then maybe you should change the ZSS portrait under your name...?
I'm not ready for that step, yet. While I perform better with Zelda 100% of the time, I know an incomparably large amount of information regarding ZSS, whereas I know next to nothing aside from general gameplay observations about Link and Zelda.

I have read pretty much all the guides I've seen on both Link and Zelda, but the amount of information I know off the top of my head about them is very limited, and the ATs I can perform consistently with them is far below what I can do with ZSS. I think the main reason my performance with Zelda is above that of ZSS is primarily due to stage choice and my available opponents, though if you watch any recent videos of my ZSS, it's pretty clear I've had a major set back in my execution with her due to the break I've taken from her (nothing a little polishing up won't fix, though).

Anyway, to prevent this from getting even more long-winded, I'd like to learn a lot more about Zelda and Link before I feel comfortable about changing my icon.

Top Bottom