• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recommended character combinations for 2v2s?

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I read this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260661, and it taught me a lot about the characters' strengths and weaknesses, as well as what type of roles each character is best for.

With that I have a few questions. Which characters compliment each other the best/make the best duos? And also, should my partner and I have different character duos based off of the map we are playing? because I know certain characters aren't as effective on certain maps (i.e. Diddy is best on flat, stationary maps because you can use his bananas most effectively then, but he is weaker on other maps).

I appreciate any advice/input you guys have, thanks!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Start with a Metaknight.

Combine that with a Metaknight or a Snake (maybe a Wario).

Ok, go.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
It feel like it's just a matter of combining a Carry and Tank or a Punisher and a DPS.

Marth and Snake or Marth and Falco would be effective.
Dedede and Metaknight

Figure out what kind of a style you and Asmo want to play and start trying out various combinations from there, I think that's your best bet.

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Me and Asmo have already played some in the past at local places (in between our GoW matches we would play some Brawl), and he has a decent Marth, and I have a decent Diddy/Zero Suit Samus. So I think he will be the Punisher and I'll be the DPS

I think the DPS/Punisher combo seems better than the other one. Also, Meta Knight seems like he would be effective as either a DPS or Punisher. He isn't the best at each one, but is good for both so we will probably use him according to the map and matchup. The DPS characters we are looking at are Falco, Diddy, Zero Suit Samus, and MK. The Punishers we are looking at are Marth, G&W, Wario, and MK again.

We are going to try to figure out which characters work best together, and which characters are better or worse on certain maps (i.e. we will probably use MK for one role usually, but depending on the map there may be a better DPS or Punisher than him which will determine which of us uses MK).

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like you guys have a lot figured out for this then, in which I would suggest Asmo use his Marth and then you should switch between Diddy and MK depending the map since Marth and MK will be effective in platformed maps where as I feel Diddy can really excel on flat maps.

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Sounds like you guys have a lot figured out for this then, in which I would suggest Asmo use his Marth and then you should switch between Diddy and MK depending the map since Marth and MK will be effective in platformed maps where as I feel Diddy can really excel on flat maps.
Yeah that is the most probable option for us, but G&W works really well with zero suit samus from some videos I've seen/what I've read. Also, I'm not completely sold on MK for the way we want to play because of his range. Zero suit and Diddy are great because they have better combos/range attacks to rack up damage with. I don't really want either of us to use more than 2 characters so it will be interesting experimenting.

D

Deleted member

Lucas and Pikachu are a pretty wicked combo, mainly because Pikachu can easily heal Lucas.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that is the most probable option for us, but G&W works really well with zero suit samus from some videos I've seen/what I've read. Also, I'm not completely sold on MK for the way we want to play because of his range. Zero suit and Diddy are great because they have better combos/range attacks to rack up damage with. I don't really want either of us to use more than 2 characters so it will be interesting experimenting.
Yea, I think it'll really come down to who you guys use and excel with in singles and then work on building a solid doubles team with those. I have no doubt you'll figure it out though.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
x character and metaknight, where x is any other character that may or may not be a mk.

but srsly, i feel safe as pika with an mk by my side. reeeeallyyyy safe.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
From what I've gathered, someone who racks up damage and some one who kills.

Eg: Mk + Snake/Wario/Mk/DK?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Lucario and MK is the best team...

or GaW and Lucario.

or GaW and MK.

or Snake and Lucario

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Zero Suit Samus & MK are my main picks right now, Marth, GaW, & Snake are my teammate's. Whichever 2 characters match up the best together we will use.

I was considering Diddy, but his bananas are too hazardous to my teammate and it is way harder to get a banana combo/lock against 2 people.

atown238

Smash Rookie
i love the pit ike combo. i hate pit but he racks the damage and ike gets the kills. it covers all areas they both have counter moves/reflect. Another one i really like is rob falco. but i would think that the snake mk team would have to be your best luck. Diddy's naners are too dangerous for team. Zerosuit's dsmash is gonna work perfect with mk. So i am undecided. Its pretty much character+mk= team. its kinda sad that mk does that much for the game. But just play test the teams and what matchups you will have to face and see which team goes best against which characters

affinityy

Smash Rookie
I'm kind of hoping MK is banned from MLG... he is just too much of a powerhouse, and almost every team is going to feature him unless they make him illegal. Taking MK out of the game would be a really good move by MLG because it will create more diversity, possibilities, and competition.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of hoping MK is banned from MLG... he is just too much of a powerhouse, and almost every team is going to feature him unless they make him illegal. Taking MK out of the game would be a really good move by MLG because it will create more diversity, possibilities, and competition.
I pretty most posted just this statement in another thread like 5 minutes ago, haha.

I think that Marth and Falco could be a really solid team with some work. The more I think about the better it seems it could be.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The biggest factor here will be if Friendly Fire is on or off. If on, then you're team work matters a lot less and it's more about who can you fight the best with, and who won't kill your partner. It's a lot about coordination.

If off, then it's a whole neither ball game. This is really where psychology and team building come into play. Every character is good so long as they fit into the team. Who you both pick depends on what your strategy is, what your partner will pick, and who you are good with.

So, with that in mind, I have to ask who are yoy good with.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
The biggest factor here will be if Friendly Fire is on or off. If on, then you're team work matters a lot less and it's more about who can you fight the best with, and who won't kill your partner. It's a lot about coordination.

If off, then it's a whole neither ball game. This is really where psychology and team building come into play. Every character is good so long as they fit into the team. Who you both pick depends on what your strategy is, what your partner will pick, and who you are good with.

So, with that in mind, I have to ask who are yoy good with.
Friendly fire is on for all major doubles tournaments isn't it? Either way, MLG will have friendly fire on.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Friendly fire is on for all major doubles tournaments isn't it? Either way, MLG will have friendly fire on.
OP didn't say anything about MLG. Unless there was another post I missed, not sure what this is for. That's why I mentioned both modes of play.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
OP didn't say anything about MLG. Unless there was another post I missed, not sure what this is for. That's why I mentioned both modes of play.
I know the OP through various forums and just in general I don't know of any major tournament (MLG or otherwise) that doesn't put FF on for doubles.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I know the OP through various forums and just in general I don't know of any major tournament (MLG or otherwise) that doesn't put FF on for doubles.
Well, again, OP didn't mention what it was for. Most people play teams with FF off and it's default for online so I could assume anything rather then tournament play.

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Well, again, OP didn't mention what it was for. Most people play teams with FF off and it's default for online so I could assume anything rather then tournament play.
I'm fairly certain MLG will play with friendly fire on. They will want it to take the most teamwork & skill possible.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Affinity what up it's Vegas Sleeper. Didn't know u play brawl. I've been playing for awhile now. We should def get some matches in. G&W tho is a goood doubled partner his smashes def punish. I also use Wario and MK. They make a great team. Mk racks up quick damage and wario punishes hard.

Asmo

Smash Rookie
Affinity what up it's Vegas Sleeper. Didn't know u play brawl. I've been playing for awhile now. We should def get some matches in. G&W tho is a goood doubled partner his smashes def punish. I also use Wario and MK. They make a great team. Mk racks up quick damage and wario punishes hard.
Scott, I'm buying my Wii today. Are you planning on attending some events for this game?

Asmo

Smash Rookie
I was also thinking of us doing a Sonic(him) & MK(me) duo. Both can punish & rack up. I would be the main punisher though.

That's only if they don't ban MK (which I hope they do).

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I was also thinking of us doing a Sonic(him) & MK(me) duo. Both can punish & rack up. I would be the main punisher though.

That's only if they don't ban MK (which I hope they do).
Good to see you on the boards Asmo!

Sonic could be a great option because of his hit and run tactics. He could pretty easily confuse someone and steal attention while someone more capable of doing damage gets in a hit.

roces9

Smash Rookie
From what I've gathered, someone who racks up damage and some one who kills.

Eg: Mk +... DK?
This is pretty win. MK's speed and laglessness cover DKs slow speed and lagyness. DK's massive kill power compliments MK's DPS

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
Snake and Marth.
Marth grabs opponent. Snake uses C4 on grabbed opponent. Marth throws opponent up. Snake detonates C4. Applause. Curtain closes.

Top Bottom