• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reflection on Metaknight I have quetions..

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I would have put this in the Q & A thread but I felt as though it was not a singular question more of a discussion.

Basic Background...
So I've been playing metaknight since forever. But at some point I hit like a brick wall I stopped improving and i was getting beat really badly. I asked myself this question what happens when you have mk vs marth for example and the marth controls his space very well so you can't approach. I know your going to say metaknight has the advantage I would agree with you however assuming he toss's marth off the stage he does if the marth spaces correctly you should not even get close to him to even grab. Why am I saying this? Well I did not know the anwser to this question till i started hanging out with this smash player named HAT. Brawl in it's highest levels of game play. Your suppose to be punishing people for air dodges, side steps, and rolls. After being slaughtered by a olimar player named P~S. My perception of the game changed. Suddenly Playing smarter had a definition.

Playing smarter - Predicting the persons air dodges and punishing them on the frames that it finishes.

in metaknight's case- you can use the tornado to punish the air dodges well spaced forward smash's ect....

Now....with this new concept of me litterally realizing how to play more effectively. I had to then stop myself from auto-piloting.

Auto-piliot -Essentially it means when you play with out litterally planning out your move. Example of auto-piloting jumping and Fairing for no specific reason. its also easy to a fall in to habits of doing things you always like doing.

Now my specific issues I have.

Metaknight vs Diddy - When i play my friend Deez I feel as though so many bananas are being thrown out he has extended zoning and lane control over me. I start taking damage unnecessarily as a result of tripping and falling into moves and combos.

Metaknight vs Snake - I can beat some snake players but when I start playing good ones. Its almost the same concept as diddy but they is random bombs explodeding which sucks because getting uptilted is pretty much death even with a good DI at certain percentages. I feel that there is more control in this match up than vs diddy but snake kills mk easier as well.

Metaknight vs Falco - Double Lazer + spaced forward tilts make it hard to approach even if i power shield every lazor he can still phantom away and do it all over again. I don't know a effective way to edge guard the phantom . Lets not forget lazer stun upsmash your dead combos. (When you are still stunned by the lazer so you get boost upsmashed).

Metaknight vs Lucario seems easiest out of the previous listed match ups however the spacing seems like it changes when he takes higher %'s then when he is at lower ones. Additionally he can bring it back from a few spacing mistakes being punished.

-Advice?

Also neo was the marth that beat me.. I felt always out of range when we tried to space each other.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
I would have put this in the Q & A thread but I felt as though it was not a singular question more of a discussion.

Basic Background...
So I've been playing metaknight since forever. But at some point I hit like a brick wall I stopped improving and i was getting beat really badly. I asked myself this question what happens when you have mk vs marth for example and the marth controls his space very well so you can't approach. I know your going to say metaknight has the advantage I would agree with you however assuming he toss's marth off the stage he does if the marth spaces correctly you should not even get close to him to even grab. Why am I saying this? Well I did not know the anwser to this question till i started hanging out with this smash player named HAT. Brawl in it's highest levels of game play. Your suppose to be punishing people for air dodges, side steps, and rolls. After being slaughtered by a olimar player named P~S. My perception of the game changed. Suddenly Playing smarter had a definition.

Playing smarter - Predicting the persons air dodges and punishing them on the frames that it finishes.

in metaknight's case- you can use the tornado to punish the air dodges well spaced forward smash's ect....

Now....with this new concept of me litterally realizing how to play more effectively. I had to then stop myself from auto-piloting.

Auto-piliot -Essentially it means when you play with out litterally planning out your move. Example of auto-piloting jumping and Fairing for no specific reason. its also easy to a fall in to habits of doing things you always like doing.

Now my specific issues I have.

Metaknight vs Diddy - When i play my friend Deez I feel as though so many bananas are being thrown out he has extended zoning and lane control over me. I start taking damage unnecessarily as a result of tripping and falling into moves and combos.

Metaknight vs Snake - I can beat some snake players but when I start playing good ones. Its almost the same concept as diddy but they is random bombs explodeding which sucks because getting uptilted is pretty much death even with a good DI at certain percentages. I feel that there is more control in this match up than vs diddy but snake kills mk easier as well.

Metaknight vs Falco - Double Lazer + spaced forward tilts make it hard to approach even if i power shield every lazor he can still phantom away and do it all over again. I don't know a effective way to edge guard the phantom . Lets not forget lazer stun upsmash your dead combos. (When you are still stunned by the lazer so you get boost upsmashed).

Metaknight vs Lucario seems easiest out of the previous listed match ups however the spacing seems like it changes when he takes higher %'s then when he is at lower ones. Additionally he can bring it back from a few spacing mistakes being punished.

-Advice?

Also neo was the marth that beat me.. I felt always out of range when we tried to space each other.
My question is are you edge-guarding??
I'm gonna assume you are since it's basic to shut down two out of the four in question.

Develop a timing mech for MK's A-air attack to counter Falco Phantasm.

If you choose, you can also do the same attack as Falco comes up from grabbing the ledge.

Diddy IMO doesn't do much damage in the air, so go aerial if there are lots of bananas, especially in FD.

Swarm Snake with MT and make sure he doesn't grab you. Notice where all the C4s and mines are so you avoid them.

Hope this helps. ;)

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
It seems like in general you simply don't have enough experience playing someone who is good at these characters. These are the problems that everyone faces when playing them (not just mk's) and with enough practice you will find strategies around them. I suggest playing as many different people as you can.

Also Neo is one of the best marths in the country so don't feel bad about it ;)

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
It seems like in general you simply don't have enough experience playing someone who is good at these characters. These are the problems that everyone faces when playing them (not just mk's) and with enough practice you will find strategies around them. I suggest playing as many different people as you can.

Also Neo is one of the best marths in the country so don't feel bad about it ;)
I did not think he was still so good. I mean he does not even play like that all the time. When i played m2k for the the first lol i could not even seem to get him over 55%. I felt like everything i did was punished. Really badly. I would think that i am gaining experience in the match up but even though I edge guard the crap out of people. The matches still seem hard.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
NEO knows the meta knight match better than almost anyone. He wins by being a superior player than you. He beat Dojo and Seibrik at APEX, seriously no shame in losing.

Marth can shut down every one of MK's approaches if he plays his cards right. You need to rely more on safe pokes and overall just WAITING for him. You can shut down all of Marth's options and put him into terrible positions.

Top Bottom