• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reflector reflected

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I may have found the weirdest thing ever. A YouTube video where Falco's shine is indeed reflected - insofar as it is sent back at him, and deals him damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyY00SE8X6k&feature=related

(I am neither a player in this vid nor the account holder of the video)

At 00:57, Falco sends his Reflector at Snake, who is doing his AAA combo.
It's difficult to tell from the quality of the vid, but the shine seems to reach Snake at the moment his kick is extended.

The Shine is then clearly seen to zap Falco, deal him 6%, and cause him to bounce off the Windmill to off the stage.
The Snake is also dealt damage, in the amount of 6%, and is knocked to the ledge. I thought maybe Falco collided with him, but I got a lucky pause at 00:57, where I see the Reflector between the two, Snake being zapped, and Falco not hit yet.

Don't be distracted by the events at 00:55.

I don't know the implications of this property.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Yes the shine is reflectable by certain moves. However, I did not know that snake's third hit on neutral a combo semi-reflects...

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
That is... quite odd. I only have one explanation for this:

You can harm yourself with the reflector on its way out.

Snake's neutral A combo halted Falco from continuing his shine animation. However, the shine itself was still sent out, so the hit must have been at the exact frame where it was canceled. Falco then got hit by his own shine and since its knockback was directed off the stage, he got hit off the stage. Snake got the knockback as well, and I'm guessing the frame where the shine got canceled had some sort of inverted super armor ability (takes no damage but takes knockback). So Falco and Snake got hit by the shine.

I'm not sure if I'm right, but it seems logical. If I am right, this will be VERY important. A frame where the shine can be canceled will make the shine much, MUCH more usable than previously thought. I gotta look into this.

EDIT: The windmill was directly behind Falco during the attack. It is possible Falco was hit by the neutral a and then bounced off the windmill, completely untouched by the shine. But I'm not sure. Do you have a replay of this saved? Upload it somewhere, I want to see it.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
This happened to me like 5 times a little while ago. Fox reflected it, Snake did, and I think Ganondorf did.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
That is... quite odd. I only have one explanation for this:

You can harm yourself with the reflector on its way out.

Snake's neutral A combo halted Falco from continuing his shine animation. However, the shine itself was still sent out, so the hit must have been at the exact frame where it was canceled. Falco then got hit by his own shine and since its knockback was directed off the stage, he got hit off the stage. Snake got the knockback as well, and I'm guessing the frame where the shine got canceled had some sort of inverted super armor ability (takes no damage but takes knockback). So Falco and Snake got hit by the shine.

I'm not sure if I'm right, but it seems logical. If I am right, this will be VERY important. A frame where the shine can be canceled will make the shine much, MUCH more usable than previously thought. I gotta look into this.

EDIT: The windmill was directly behind Falco during the attack. It is possible Falco was hit by the neutral a and then bounced off the windmill, completely untouched by the shine. But I'm not sure. Do you have a replay of this saved? Upload it somewhere, I want to see it.
I'm not gonna fault you for not detecting the subtleties of a blurry vid, but, dude, I said I have nothing to do with it. I just found it.

Anyway, to make clear: Using my awesome pausing skills, I can see that Falco was hit by the reflector (he's flashing blue), and bounced off the windmill. Using my awesome eyesight skills, I was able to notice how Snake was nowhere @#$% near Falco when he got off his kick.

I'm not sure what you think cancelled the shine, redgreenblue. I'm not gonna knock the theory but I'm just gonna say I think you're only evidences are the parts of your perception of the video which contradict mine. With that being the case, it's difficult for me to evaluate the rest of your post, because to know what your words even mean I have to know the mindset/beliefs you have, and it's on the table that we might be diverging in that respect pretty significantly.

:ohwell:

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna fault you for not detecting the subtleties of a blurry vid, but, dude, I said I have nothing to do with it. I just found it.

Anyway, to make clear: Using my awesome pausing skills, I can see that Falco was hit by the reflector (he's flashing blue), and bounced off the windmill. Using my awesome eyesight skills, I was able to notice how Snake was nowhere @#$% near Falco when he got off his kick.

I'm not sure what you think cancelled the shine, redgreenblue. I'm not gonna knock the theory but I'm just gonna say I think you're only evidences are the parts of your perception of the video which contradict mine. With that being the case, it's difficult for me to evaluate the rest of your post, because to know what your words even mean I have to know the mindset/beliefs you have, and it's on the table that we might be diverging in that respect pretty significantly.

:ohwell:
But the reflector functions as a physical attack... reflection of it only results in him turning the other way, and it goes through walls (like the windmill) so how would he be hit by his own reflector then? Now that I look at the video it looks like I was pretty wrong... but still, how would Falco get hit by his own shine?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
This is an old thread but I want to revive this inquiry.

But the reflector functions as a physical attack... reflection of it only results in him turning the other way, and it goes through walls (like the windmill) so how would he be hit by his own reflector then? Now that I look at the video it looks like I was pretty wrong... but still, how would Falco get hit by his own shine?
I don't know why I didn't answer this / let this thread die.

What I'm saying happened is the reflector - the object and hitbox created by Falco's down B, was made to rebound on him. It seems I never communicated this idea to redgreenblue.

Falco's reflector, I had witnessed in later games, can be hit with certain attacks, and they cause the reflector to flip around. These attacks are not necessarily reflector attacks themselves. The only constant I found was that they involve the user spinning in some way.

Also, the other character seems to always get hurt. Probably because of the thing's super priority.

The_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Snake up-tilted.
Deceptive hitbox to the max...
I am serious.

EDIT: Seriously, I am not being sarcastic.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Falco sticks his foot out when he kicks the shine away. Snakes disjointed hit box hit Falco's foot and forced him into hit stun pulling the reflector back. It only gave off an illusion of a reflected shine. It's not a trick; it's an illusion. The blue color is coincidental. Falco turns blue when he uses the shine.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Falco sticks his foot out when he kicks the shine away. Snakes disjointed hit box hit Falco's foot and forced him into hit stun pulling the reflector back. It only gave off an illusion of a reflected shine. It's not a trick; it's an illusion. The blue color is coincidental. Falco turns blue when he uses the shine.
This. I think this stuff was in my thread somewhere. At least we know where the video of evidence is.

Top Bottom