• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ref's Ness guide (Defense) Updated....

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I added a small amount of things, go read it if you would like to.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Yes it does. It means that.
Blue. Blue. Happy.

Also are there any sections in particular you added to or was it just extra info throughout the whole guide? I (very) briefly looked over it (playing MvC2 at the same time) for anything that stood out as new but didn't see anything right away.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Wow that THROW THINGS section is actually really good. It's also kinda what I was saying recently in that super secret place where we talk about super secret things >_>

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
THROW THINGS was pretty good. Inspiring. I laughed at "Your whole moveset is a combo."

Although Ness can't throw things as well as :link2: or :toonlink: can...

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Go someone figure out something that was lost in time and bring it to me..

I'll try to find a improved use for it...

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Lol, Throw Things was funny and helpful; I often do check my projectile count after a match.

The reason I think so few people think d-throw isn't as good as the other throws (myself NOT included) is because they aren't using it against the right players. Aggressive players are ruined by this throw because most (if any) characters can't punish Ness out of the throw if he just stands there or walks away. In that case, if the opponent does attack, Ness is free to punish with just about anything (even PKT2 if Ness predicts which attack will be used).

Great additions, we're glad to have you back Ref.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
i've already gotten a use for reverse hyphen usmashing..... i use that a ton.... how bout pkt2 edge canceling, where you floorblast into the absolute edge of a platform and get rid of all lag. we need that incorporated into ness' game.

and yes... good stuff. throw things works.... i sometimes throw the wrong things though.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Maybe in doubles, PKT2 somebody in a floor blast towards the edge then nair the other team mate trying to recover...

That's a very situational tech and pretty dangerous...

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Hmm I will update this probably with doubles strategies next tourney.

D3V14710N

Smash Rookie
That would be great ( the doubles update i mean ) my brother and i did doubles at HOBO 18 and placed 5th so some new things to learn would be great :bee: we went Ness + Lucas.

Uffe

Smash Hero
That would be great ( the doubles update i mean ) my brother and i did doubles at HOBO 18 and placed 5th so some new things to learn would be great :bee: we went Ness + Lucas.
I take you're from Texas. Good job getting 5th, by the way.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Speaking of doubles, remember the psi magnet wind and how it halts flying momentum? Well use psi magnet wind nearby, but outside, a hitbox of your teammates attack. It will push the person back a little as it stops them and will allow a followup of some sort, like maybe a jablock or another hit in a multihitting attack (lucas' dsmash anyone?). I've done this once or twice and when I did I was thinking, "why didn't I think of this earlier?" I believe this will be really halpful if people look into it and try to do it... Psimag will be used more in all of your games, whether you want it to or not.

D3V14710N

Smash Rookie
I take you're from Texas. Good job getting 5th, by the way.
Yeah thanks it was tough there were some close matches but we are hoping to do better next time. my ness was not even very good then so now that we did so good im going to work on my ness and see if we can do better. :)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
HOW TO PLAY ALL 3 SMASH GAMES WITHOUT GETTING CONFUSED

To accomplish this you must understand 3 things.
1. One of these games is complete garbage.
2. One of these games is super fast.
3. One of these games is super super fun.

Once you understand this and know that
1. =brawl
2. = Melee
3. = Super smash bros for the 64

You'll never have trouble playing all three ever again, I follow these rules myself.

WIN

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
HOW TO PLAY ALL 3 SMASH GAMES WITHOUT GETTING CONFUSED

To accomplish this you must understand 3 things.
1. One of these games is complete garbage.
2. One of these games is super fast.
3. One of these games is super super fun.

Once you understand this and know that
1. =brawl
2. = Melee
3. = Super smash bros for the 64

You'll never have trouble playing all three ever again, I follow these rules myself.

WIN
You sir, just won the internet and all my respect. *claps*

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
That's in my thread... sage should of quoted

so yeah i win the internet.

Thank you thank you you guys are far too kind.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yay to the defensive stuff. I swear to god I am the most aggressive Ness I know.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
.___. im not sure if its mentioned in the thread, but i didnt see it in there so i just wanna mentioned i just now figured out that the closer you are to the target of your pkt 2 the more powerful it is, for example, a good, close shot should kill and average weighted character at 40%, and a lenghty one would kill at around 95% :p im not tht exact on the percentages but i noticed a significant difference in the ko % and the knockback :D

Top Bottom