• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patogunner

Smash Rookie
I always found it funny that people complain about the items - if you don't like getting one-hit-KO'd by a Bob-Omb, then learn how to dodge it. Better yet, use your higher skills to go even further...grab the Bob-Omb right before it hits you and throw it back. Use your instant shield to block at the last second and try to use the explosion to hurt your opponent.

There is a lot of skill to be seen when dealing with items. Seeing two skilled players have to throw a green shell back and forth nearly ten times before someone actually gets hit with it shows a hell of a lot more skill than wavedashing. It takes someone like 5 minutes to learn how to wavedash, try learning catching and reflecting items in 5 minutes. Nothing against wavedashing, but I think that it really doesn't add to the game, and I'd like to understand why people do this

Also, I know I'm probably going to get flamed, but who cares.

pdk

Smash Lord
i'd be willing to bet people wouldn't mind items so much without item crates/boxes being mandatory and if some of the glitch-causing stuff (red shells for example, blame mewtwo for this one) is disabled, but alas

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
Point for you, Patogunner. Items are as much a part of the game as anything else. I think that they're fun to play with, even though I've met many a demise because of a poorly placed Hammer. Although I prefer to play without them, there's a lot to be said for items. So a Bob-omb drops on your head every once in a while. If you can't take the heat, get out of the Fire Flower.

Goron3

Smash Apprentice
utilising the wavedash or even a dash dance effectively requires FAR more skill than catching and throwing an item few times.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If we knew whether or not a crate/capsul would explode items may still be on to this day. However, we don't, which means when one of these things spawns over your head as your edge guarding your opponant, and subsequently explodes on top of you by chance, and you lose your stock, lose the championship match, and lose $1000, then I think turning items off is the right move.

Your comments about wavedashing simply show you are new to the game. I'll give this thread a lil more life before closing it.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
utilising the wavedash or even a dash dance effectively requires FAR more skill than catching and throwing an item few times.

Sooooo then why do people complain about how items can bring down a really excellent player if they take little to no skill to avoid/catch/use?

Metà

Smash Master
Sooooo then why do people complain about how items can bring down a really excellent player if they take little to no skill to avoid/catch/use?
That's not the main reason they want them off; it's because of the random exploding carrier items (crates, barrels, capsules). If we could turn those off, I wouldn't mind playing with items now and again, but still, you'd probably realize once you get to a high level of play, that items become just a distraction. If you think items take more skill than all the advanced techniques we utilize, then you are woefully mistaken. Don't forget, wavedashing is not the only technique we use, we have countless others, not to mention using them effectively requires a certain degree of concentration and skill. It could work, but I'm willing to bet that even if carrier items could be turned off, most competitive players still wouldn't want them.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Well, catching an item may indeed take more skill than wavedashing, but it is FAR, FAR (ill say it once more, just for effect) FAR, eaiser than learning to implement Wavedashes into your gameplay.

And when your playing with a skilled opponent, I think WDing contributes much mroe to the game than items.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yes, items take skill and they can enrich the game, but the randomness factor associated with them is what got them banned in tournaments. Randomness always favors the weaker player. What if one player kept getting healing items or Pokeballs? If this happened to the more skilled player, nothing would change, as he would probably win either way. If this happened to the less skilled player, he might actually win.

And don't think that people hate items because they can't use them effectively. Many players, especially the west coast players, such as Ken, are very good at using them.

_clinton

Smash Master
Well One on One Fights I would do w/o Items, however for a free for all...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I thought this thread was called "Regarding items", not "Regarding wavedashing"

edit with comments later

Smash Master
It would suck if the items kept spawning in front of one player, so he/she kept getting the benefit of them, while the other player only got the occasional exploding capsule. Having good items spawn in front of you requires no skill. It is a pure luck, random occurrance, and thus, playing with items is not a teatament to either player's skill in tournament play.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
The randomness of items is what makes them intrusive to the pro play style. The player that sucks could keep having items appear next to him, and that is in no way fair or predictable. The thing about 1v1 matches without items is that you can predict everything that will happen without interference.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Here is the easiest way to sum up the item versus no item debate.

If I played Ken 50 times, I wouldn't win a single one of the games. Period. I know this for a fact. I played Azen once about 50 times in a row and only won one game against his Bowser.

Now, if you turn items on, I'm pretty confident I could take a few more games off of each player, thus increasing my chances of victory by gobs. You see, items only benefit the LESS skilled player in this sense. All this "skill with items" nonsense is simply illusion. I play Peach, I'm use to holding, throwing, and recatching items ALL THE TIME. As is anyone who has ever played as or against Peach. The reality is all the top players would have roughly the same skill with items, just as they all have roughly the same technical skill in the game. Items would just be yet another facet of the game they would use, and because chance is involved, only the weaker player would actually recieve a benefit, because any benefit the stronger player would recieve would simply reenforce a victory he would have won anyways.

_clinton

Smash Master
I like the Chance in a free for all but that is just me (It adds to the already confused battlefields)...But like I said one on one no items are used...I like the special melee's to btw

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Here is the easiest way to sum up the item versus no item debate.

If I played Ken 50 times, I wouldn't win a single one of the games. Period. I know this for a fact. I played Azen once about 50 times in a row and only won one game against his Bowser.

Now, if you turn items on, I'm pretty confident I could take a few more games off of each player, thus increasing my chances of victory by gobs. You see, items only benefit the LESS skilled player in this sense. All this "skill with items" nonsense is simply illusion. I play Peach, I'm use to holding, throwing, and recatching items ALL THE TIME. As is anyone who has ever played as or against Peach. The reality is all the top players would have roughly the same skill with items, just as they all have roughly the same technical skill in the game. Items would just be yet another facet of the game they would use, and because chance is involved, only the weaker player would actually recieve a benefit, because any benefit the stronger player would recieve would simply reenforce a victory he would have won anyways.
This post is win. + rep, owned. GTFO thread creator, kthx bye.

Beeboop

Banned via Administration
The randomness of items is what makes them intrusive to the pro play style. The player that sucks could keep having items appear next to him, and that is in no way fair or predictable. The thing about 1v1 matches without items is that you can predict everything that will happen without interference.
In other words, 'pros' don't like dealing with unpredictability, and altering their strategy because someone picked up a hammer is too terrifying.

CPB&

Smash Cadet
The creator of this thread is the smartest person on this board.

Everyone in this thread who disagrees with him is an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom