• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding to Gimpyfish's impression thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

TC, bow your head in shame. Seriously, how can u be "disgusted" at people naming techniques. Gimpyfish's topic helped me get alot of information. Even if it was all completely false, i would still be grateful that he typed it all up :p

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I'm not, the man voiced his opinion and he is entitled to do so, whether or not you approve of that opinion because of personal admiration to gimpyfish(which worked his *** off for that thread, but he's still a human being you know) is your problem. the only thing i see wrong with this thread is that people are way too touchy about gimpy's post(which i have read like 7 times and think is very imformative, but it's still just an opinion) and that anyone that thinks otherwise should by silenced.

well guess what, this isn't a dictatorship, and people can say what they want, you can agree or disagree, but you should try to argue at a nice and positive tone of speech, and that goes for everyone.

and btw gimpyfish, even though he said some pretty nasty things about your thread, calling him an idiot is not the way to go, and you get off as an immature brat when you say that, which you are probably not.

i'm sorry if i sound mod like, i'm a mod at another smash forum so i can't help it :p

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
I love how your calling nicknames disgusting.

Lets go to wave dashing. "Hey guys wavedashing is a name so disgusting, Gimpy would make a thread about it lolzzzzz" "Yea lets call it by a better more offical and longer name, somthing like 'Directional airdoge to the ground before leaving the groud and moving'" "Or maybe even 'Traction Abuse'"

I mean come on! Inkdrop is a stupid nickname!! (not as in a bad nickname, its that its only a nickname). I think you need to work on some self control.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
As stupid as naming the obvious "techniques" is, the impression post still has a lot of helpful information. And you have to take the character observations as if they will be played in tournaments. Characters who are good in casual play can suck in pro play. Also, it pretty much cleared up any confusion about rumored assist trophies (Someone said Tails and Pokey were assist trophies...). I am waiting to hear about character entrances, costumes, and victory music and it will be totally sweet when he posts them. I guess I am more old fashioned and like the aesthetics of the game just as much. Sure he is obviously arrogant, but what person with a slight bit of "authority" on the internet isn't? At least he puts all the info in one place.

BTW, Ike* not Ik.

True Fool

Smash Ace
It's not as if Gimpy's forcing his opinions on us by posting his impressions of the demo. Everyone's allowed a little room for bias/exagerating, and I don't think Gimpy's even used a fourth of his.

So far the info has all been sound and steady. I may not think Ike looks slow as/slower than Melee Bowser, but that's me, I'm not there and he is, so I'll take his word. I can't tell that Mario is a comboing machine, but I'm not there, so I'll trust someone who knows what he's talking about.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I certainly see where he's coming from. Gimpy does come off as arrogant a lot of the time, and whether or not it's justified doesn't really matter. It's still annoying. He'll always have legions of fans defending him, ala most of the posts in this topic, but it does get on people's nerves.

Having said that, I agree with both Gimpy and the TC, to be honest. While Gimpy has done a lot of hard work, it's not like the TC is insulting him, just questioning the validity of his reporting, which is more than fair. The environment, the demo, everything, certainly is going to be quite different than the actual game. And it does feel like Gimpy (and the others) are trying to desperately coin terms early so they can claim ownership. An ego thing, to be sure. Still, it's very informative, and certainly better than what IGN could cook up.

You take the good and the bad, and all of it with a grain of salt.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
Gimpy's opinion is better than alot of other people, just be glad he took the time to make the reports when he could've been playing brawl.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
according to this thread nobody, not even gaming sites, should ever write anything about brawl.

in fact, we should never write anything about melee either, who are we to judge.

let's close these forums guys, together we can stop these disgusting posts.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I certainly see where he's coming from. Gimpy does come off as arrogant a lot of the time, and whether or not it's justified doesn't really matter. It's still annoying. He'll always have legions of fans defending him, ala most of the posts in this topic, but it does get on people's nerves.
It's exactly the same as an officer/guildmaster in any single online game you play. The asskissing fans will never cease their adoration.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
lol gimpy, i loved the clarification update, you just aquitted yourself in my book XD
i was sure you guys were really serious about those, especially with poor 30-something Year old Zauron arguing with you over it :p

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You take the good and the bad, and all of it with a grain of salt.
That's a good point there.

However, what part of "impressions" did you not understand? Literally defined, someone's "impression" is usually biased and based off of their own personal feelings on the matter. It's kinda like a movie review; y'know, like Siskel and Ebert.

The TC should've noted that teensy little fact and taken into account that very quote that I have recanted above.

Smooth Criminal

RDK

Smash Hero
This thread is a ridiuculous attempt to tarnish a respected smasher's reputation, and shouldn't even be taken seriously.

He's one of three things:

1) Some guy just wanting to stir up drama.

2) Some guy who wants to increase his post count.

3) Some guy who has a grudge against Gimpy.

Just let the thread die.

True Fool

Smash Ace
So I see you few random degenerates still think this thread is justified? If the little wad of run-off wanted to question the validity why couldn't he just say it in Gimpy's topic, instead of making this crappy attempt to talk behind his back?

EDIT: I guess not so many of you do. Take what I said lightly...the first part anyway.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm not going to say much since everyone has pretty much said it anyway. But if you weren't there to play Brawl, you don't much of an opinion to voice. And you obviously weren't there to see Gimpy's huge stack of paper that he was using to take notes on the game.

I'm in favor of closing this thread.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Well, I really don't want to keep stoking the fire, so this'll be my last post.

I have the upmost respect for Gimpy, I know what he's done, and the effort it's taken to put out said info. That's not in question. It's just the validity of the reporting. It's a demo game, running in a crowded room, which had limited playtime. Nothing is going to be perfect.

Most "big" news sites are able to either get a private showing of the game, or they play with a Nintendo rep, so their news is usually solid, though their impressions aren't. Gimpy is the reverse of that; his impressions are solid, his news, eh.

...but like I said, doesn't matter in the long run. I just hated seeing the TC being picked apart when he had some valid points.

a-mar

Smash Cadet
that is the stupidist thing i have ever heard!!!

the guy plays as Bowser!!!
how can you be arrogant if you play exclusivly as bowser!!!

i have only played aginst gimpy once and he was really nice
and when i asked him why he played as bowser he said beacuse bowser was fun

seriously calm down w/ bashing on gimpy, he seems like a nice guy who was trying to help the boards out, and what dose he get

$hit on by people who are just jelous of him!

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
He's not trolling... he's just barely making sense in some points.

But whatever...

You know what? Other people have reported on Bowser's buff, not only Gimp TEH BOWZAA MAIN, but some other attendees have too.

many of your other points can be similarly countered.

meh/10

baheffron

Smash Apprentice
Of course you are going to know more about Ike and Bowser than gimp, who has played the game, while you have just watched videos!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
that is the stupidist thing i have ever heard!!!

the guy plays as Bowser!!!
how can you be arrogant if you play exclusivly as bowser!!!
Well, his coming into the Ike discussion thread and his repeated bashing of Ike sounds a bit biased to me. I'm no Ike fan, but if he only played as Bowser the entire time as he claimed he was going to, his impressions of Ike would be second hand, making our interpretation of his impressions THIRDhand.
The only arrogance I see is when he did that, the vehement bashing of Ike. I mean, would you want someone who didn't even play as Ike to tell you he was irredeemable garbage?

That said, I do appreciate the effort he puts out on giving impressions, and you don't have to agree with them, but they are fun to read.

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
The question is how much YOU played of Brawl. If you think you've played more than he did and if you think you can write a better, more detailed analysis than he did, then go right ahead. If not, then there's absolutely no reason to complain. If the total hours only match up to a few, then how does that compare with everybody else who had a chance to play? I'd say he has a darn good lead.

He gets praise because he knows what he's talking about, he's an experienced Smash player, and he knows what we would like to know, and for this his praise is justified.

Of course he has his own opinions. If he were to be completely unbiased, he'd be giving us specific hitbox sizes and lag frames and the like, which was completely impossible to measure. Simply saying that X character is worse than Y character is an opinion, but there has be to be line drawn somewhere. I'm glad he gives each character a chance and actually points out positives with them all; he's been quite optimistic about the potential of these characters, rather than flat out saying X character completely sucks for Y reason, making him/her completely worthless to play.

Finally, no one is stopping you or anybody else from making their own observational post. There just isn't anything to complain about if you can still hit "New Post" and write your own.

True Fool

Smash Ace
The question is how much YOU played of Brawl. If you think you've played more than he did and if you think you can write a better, more detailed analysis than he did, then go right ahead. If not, then there's absolutely no reason to complain. If the total hours only match up to a few, then how does that compare with everybody else who had a chance to play? I'd say he has a darn good lead.

He gets praise because he knows what he's talking about, he's an experienced Smash player, and he knows what we would like to know, and for this his praise is justified.

Of course he has his own opinions. If he were to be completely unbiased, he'd be giving us specific hitbox sizes and lag frames and the like, which was completely impossible to measure. Simply saying that X character is worse than Y character is an opinion, but there has be to be line drawn somewhere. I'm glad he gives each character a chance and actually points out positives with them all; he's been quite optimistic about the potential of these characters, rather than flat out saying X character completely sucks for Y reason, making him/her completely worthless to play.

Finally, no one is stopping you or anybody else from making their own observational post. There just isn't anything to complain about if you can still hit "New Post" and write your own.
Urm, uhhh, that's not quite the story with Ike, uhhhh...>_>

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
Urm, uhhh, that's not quite the story with Ike, uhhhh...>_>
If I remember correctly, he even said Ike was awesome in team/free for all. As of now on his post, he says that his final smash is one of his favorites. Did he say he was completely worthless to play? If so, I must have missed it.

True Fool

Smash Ace
If I remember correctly, he even said Ike was awesome in team/free for all. As of now on his post, he says that his final smash is one of his favorites. Did he say he was completely worthless to play? If so, I must have missed it.
I actually missed it as well, but lots of people were getting upset about how he kept saying Ike was "total garbage". And that he semi-assualted the Ike boards(not exactly something I like to see from anyone, mod or not).

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
He isn't trolling, he's just stating a controversial opinion. It probably wouldn't hurt for him to be a bit nicer about it, but you all don't have to jump on him blindly.

I

i8waffles612

Wow.... well Im just gonna say Gimpy did a great job with his thread... lol

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
In Gimp's own word:

naming the moves after ourselves was a little bit of a joke, it was just fun to scream about it at e for all anytime we found out anything remotely cool and name it something, apparently this joke went a liiiiitle bit too far, so i'm going to clarify right now.

INK DROP - This is just tripping, your character falls over. The end. Your character trips and falls.
Hugging - It's just an edgehog folks
$Slide - LOL did ANYONE take this one seriously? i mean my goodness. MONEY SLIDE?! lol its just a waveland that is done differnetly

Kubuu Cancel - Honestly i was goin to post this as the new l cancel but i couldn't bring myself to do it

anyways, just clarifying that, i'll edit this post and after a day or so i'll remove this little explanation

my goodness people XD
Please, Gimp, there is one thing that you need to learn, and that is "no one the wiser." You are making it sounds like a joke gone bad, but that is BS. The amount of time and effort you put in your post made my case. Or are you implying that your whole post is a joke that you planned with your friends as well?

all in all, remember that these are his opinions and he can voice them however and whenever he wants. he may get the privilege to boast and snob his A** off because he's a mod, but that doesn't give anything he said any power, and the main reason for him to say these things, is still to tell people about this great new game we are all waiting for.

saying that you were "Disgusted" or "Offended" by his post is a little exaggeration IMO, he was posting for positive reasons and nobody said all his nicknames like hugging(which actually sounds cute :-D ) or Ink Dropping(i also second that it's stupid to name an ingame animation after a player, but meh) or $ slide or whatever, you can ignore these and just regard the info.
No he may not get the privilege to boast and snob, the opposite holds true in fact. If Gimp ever felt to get something off his chest or act funky, do it with another handle, the ones that don't have the Mod tag under it. I am trying to take the mods seriously, and Gimp is not helping. I thought all Mods command with respects, that means don't abuse the users, don't misinform the forum, and definetly don't call users idiots. I absolutely can not ignore those coinings of techs, b/c this board is supposed to be THE authority for the Smash community.

Hay guyz i just discovered that the op is trollin without meaning to troll

i call this technique rosefailing

do not use other terms omg
Awesome. Too fancy of a post for the kids though.

Bla Bla Bla the endless self pity whines.

EDIT: in referance to controller issues, we had a few players who used almost exclussively the wii-mote based control scheme, while i only played a few matches like that, i did most of my matches with the classic control scheme.
you're an idiot.
Great, now I really have some respect for you left.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=117505

don't worry guys, now we know where he goes to school!

(kidding of course)

but seriously....i would expect a university student to be more mature than this.
Not cool dude, but thanks for digging my first post up(all warm and fuzzy feeling).

according to this thread nobody, not even gaming sites, should ever write anything about brawl.

in fact, we should never write anything about melee either, who are we to judge.

let's close these forums guys, together we can stop these disgusting posts.
You don't even understand the basic ideas of an online forum.

So I see you few random degenerates still think this thread is justified? If the little wad of run-off wanted to question the validity why couldn't he just say it in Gimpy's topic, instead of making this crappy attempt to talk behind his back?
I am my own man, I express my idea in my own thread, and oh Gimp knew perfectly well how I felt about his post before hand.

I actually missed it as well, but lots of people were getting upset about how he kept saying Ike was "total garbage". And that he semi-assualted the Ike boards(not exactly something I like to see from anyone, mod or not).
See I didn't even bother to bring that one up. It wasn't even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom