• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Relationships: Are they worth it?

gm jack

Smash Lord
I am very different to my GF. Doesn't matter though, so long as you can get on.

While you say you are mature, and in the respects you talk about, you are, emotional maturity is something very different. I haven't seen many people have it without some baptism of fire.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I wish I dated someone throughout high school, unfrotunately I didn't.

After high school I did date someone and that relationship alone put me through the hardest year of financial problems and opened my eyes to how some girls really are.

It's not worth it right now at all.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Quotes aside, I am indeed more mature than most of my age group... I've heard it from adults, teachers, older students (yet I don't actually know if I am). That turns out to be a problem considering that most of my class (the majority of boys and girls) usually engage in common talk.
"Do you like this song/band?" "Have you seen this yet?" "Have you been to the PDO (Petroleum Development Oman) beach party yet?"
These are most of the questions asked during their discussions, and I usually isolate myself by talking with the more mature kind of my class or even older students about world issues, politics, diseases and their effects, or something of the like.
Loosen up, man. Don't take the world onto your shoulders just yet. Believe me, someday your teenage years will be over. The diseases and world problems will still be there. The great thing about being a teenager is actually being one. Sure, you can be aware of your world, but let someone else worry about it for now. Once those carefree days are gone, they're really gone. Enjoy them.

I actually hate how some people say that academics are more important than relationships, yet others say that relationships are more important than academics.
Really, I don't want a relationship because it may impede upon my academics, unless I manage to find a girl who likes to do the same things that I do (which is extremely unlikely.)

Why try to get a relationship when you're like me? I have near naught chances of even getting one.
You seem to have a legitimate reason for wanting to avoid relationships, because it will hurt you academically. That's fine, and I applaud your ability to prioritize. I just caution you from making sweeping generalizations about the value of teenage relationships in the general sense, because it's different for everyone, and there are definitely benefits and costs to both getting involved and staying single.

REL38

Smash Lord
Being in a relationship teaches you certain things for future relationships and even life.

The 3 relationships I've been in have taught me 3 distinct lessons I otherwise wouldn't have figured out.

1. Don't base a relationship souly on lust. It goes nowhere.

2. Taking a chance by expressing yourself can make the difference between Win or Fail.

3. Give em' a chance, but if things aren't working out. Bail.

This is what I've gotten from those past relationships.
A friend can tell you stuff they've learned from certain relationships, but that ultimately only applies to the friend. Not you.

A friend can tell you to not do this or that, but the big difference is that's what they experienced. Not you.

Being in a relationship is the type of thing you've gotta experince yourself. As to when is totally up to you.

As Jam Stunna said, don't worry about the world's problems. Enjoy life.
I used to focus most of my attention towards politics back in 9th - 11th grade, but once I stopped caring, I had less to worry about. Life's good and chill now.

And there's no point in doubting the possibility of being in a relationship.
Just about anyone can get a girl.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i think it is worth it, ive been with my girlfriend since i was 16 , i just turned 20 and i couldnt be happier with anyone else. mabye i just got lucky. but i kinda knew from the start that she was the one for me. she puts up with my dorkiness and the way i am. i couldnt be more grateful. just sayin give things a chance, just becasue your a teenager still doesnt mean u cant fall in love for real.

i couldnt be more grateful. just sayin give things a chance, just becasue your a teenager still doesnt mean u cant fall in love for real.
Even after what I have seen on this thread, I still do not intend to get into a relationship. I have my choices; I can make them whenever and in whatever situation I'm in.
Just because I don't get a relationship in school, it doesn't mean that I am screwed over for life. I may end up somewhat lonely... Oh well, life goes on.

I don't want to fall in love, considering that it might impede upon other and possibly more important things in life. What things? Education, family life, friends (I have seen one or two User Blogs about how friendships have become unstable due to girlfriends), and even one's own enjoyment.

Also, I surmise that you all know that I am rather selfish, aren't I? It's all about benefitting myself, and maybe a few others around me. I'd reject a relationship for my own needs, such as education.

It's just one of the many traits that a girlfriend would not stand.

Either way, the future remains uncertain indeed.

By the way, I don't exactly 'worry' about the world; it is more along the lines of intelligent discussion, examining each situation, and sometimes even suggesting solutions.

ook

Smash Lord
My parents started dating in high school (or at least early-college, I don't exactly remember. But they have pictures of themselves at the prom)

They're still married today, 20-some years later.

so... it CAN work out and be worth it.... but eh. Not usually. :p

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've been dating my GF for almost 2 years. If your in a good relationship it is totally worth it. Before here I had a series of...troublingly short relationships and I hated the idea of a long term one. Just gotta find the right person - that's my nugget of wisdom for ya.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think you should look up the words:
Lust
Infatuation
Love
Tell me when you know the difference between the 3, and which most high school relationships fall under.
(I'll give you a hint, it isn't love)
Bingo. Unless you've been in a relationship for a real amount of time (Over six months at minimum), it's not the third.

But dating in your younger years is still a good thing. Why? Experience. There's a lot of stupid crap people need to get over in terms of relationships, and you have to use the time in which you can easily recover from screwing up while you can. It's like not learning to walk until you're 50, it's going to hurt much more when you fall.

As for general relationships - If you having to actually try to hold a relationship together, or spend money on a person to keep them happy, it's not a relationship worth bothering with. It's pretty simple. Relationships should be easy, otherwise you're doing it wrong.

L__

Smash Master
Most of the posts in here were discouraging to me...

I'm in high school and I've been in a relationship for 5 months come Saturday.

>___>

SuSa

Banned via Administration
The point is, you shouldn't be discouraged. If anything, you look forward and make sure if there are any problems you do your best to work them out.

If you are truly confidant in your relationship, what others say doesn't discourage you. But you also shouldn't be blind about your relationship.

EDIT:
@Shadic
I disagree, but only over the wording. If you were close friends with someone for years, and you two finally dated. I don't think that 6 month rule would apply the same then if you were to ask a girl at school out because you thought she was cute so you ended up dating. :p

Also the timing can be altered greatly. I actually say it's closer to 2 years for a lasting relationship, and even then that doesn't always hold true. But 6 months is still long enough for lust. Same for 9 months.

L__

Smash Master
The point is, you shouldn't be discouraged. If anything, you look forward and make sure if there are any problems you do your best to work them out.

If you are truly confidant in your relationship, what others say doesn't discourage you. But you also shouldn't be blind about your relationship.

I am

It's just..most seem to view high school relationships as they are doomed to fail

I'm very aware of what's going on, we've talked everyday so far and we've never had a single problem.

Everyone seems to agree upon high school relationships only as experience and people should try out more for the sake of experience

Or maybe I'm interpreting it wrong

Either way, I don't see us breaking up for a long while

:)

Kantō

Smash Champion
I am

It's just..most seem to view high school relationships as they are doomed to fail

I'm very aware of what's going on, we've talked everyday so far and we've never had a single problem.

Everyone seems to agree upon high school relationships only as experience and people should try out more for the sake of experience

not having a single problem, may itself be a problem, watch out for that one.
in 2005 it was my sophmore year,
i met my girlfriend a a party,
we quikly became great friends,
we eventually started dating,
we both graduated highschool, got jobs and moved in together
we have lived in 3 different houses together hahaha
what a fun journey:chuckle: ant wait to see whats next.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I am

I didn't mean to phrase my posts that way. What I was trying to say is that if you don't stay together, don't automatically classify it as a complete failure. You still had good times with that person, even if it didn't work out, and you still learned things.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Every failure is a lesson.

It doesn't apply to people who are too immature.
But normally, you could start learning a thing or two from serious relationships.

.WC.

Smash Journeyman
I can guarantee you almost 90% of the people here who agree with you have never even been in a relationship before.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Relationships are like everything else. You need practice. Ya it sucks knowing that there's almost always an impending doom to it but you need to get over that and "practice" so you don't completely screw it up later on.

Since obviously you're a smasher, think of it like this. You're going to a smash tournament. You don't have to practice for it. In theory you could just wing it and hope you do well. But the reality is that is REALLY unlikely unless you have some amazing natural talent.

Everyone thinks that relationships will come naturally to them at first. Almost everyone falls flat on their face the first time too.

Edit: Oh **** post #2000. How unepic.

OH AND DON'T FORGET THE SEX

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Since obviously you're a smasher, think of it like this. You're going to a smash tournament. You don't have to practice for it. In theory you could just wing it and hope you do well. But the reality is that is REALLY unlikely unless you have some amazing natural talent.
Well, that depends which smash we're talking about. Melee is the one that requires commitment in order to be successful with.

Brawl is that **** a few doors down who you have wild sex with then have a relationship afterwards that lasts a few days.

Xi_Athletics_ix

Smash Rookie
I've been with the same girl for 2 and a half years and I have some thoughts to add.

Relationships are worth it; early, late, whenever. They teach you respect and boundaries, which in my opinion is what makes a relationship last.

If you can learn to respect what people feel, say, or do you will have a good relationship. If not you learn what to do better with next time or what not to get yourself into.

We're currently having problems because of respect and setting boundaries. If one person doesn't respect the other you won't be able to last. If you have problems, sit down and talk about respect, not how mad you are that your gf/bf yelled at you. If you respect that person then you'll listen and do what they ask, just as long as it's not outrageous.

Edits later for grammar and sentance structure. Kinda sleepy and not paying much attention to that..

Team Giza

Smash Lord

Are relationship in high school worth it? I can't really tell you. I met my current girlfriend when I was still in high school and have continued to be with her up to now. But this still doesn't mean its a good idea. Most people in high school aren't mature enough for it but some are. I wouldn't recommend actually trying to form a relationship unless you really feel that you need one for some reason which I think some people actually do.

If you are just looking for sex or cuddliness in a relationship than don't even bother. Both of which are pretty easy to get from other people at the high school age without trying to start any sort of relationship that could cause heart break. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are educated in sexual safety. :p And still I probably wouldn't recommend it on other reasons that could potentially be labeled as "moral" ones.

Are relationship in high school worth it? I can't really tell you. I met my current girlfriend when I was still in high school and have continued to be with her up to now. But this still doesn't mean its a good idea. Most people in high school aren't mature enough for it but some are. I wouldn't recommend actually trying to form a relationship unless you really feel that you need one for some reason which I think some people actually do.

If you are just looking for sex or cuddliness in a relationship than don't even bother. Both of which are pretty easy to get from other people at the high school age without trying to start any sort of relationship that could cause heart break. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are educated in sexual safety. :p And still I probably wouldn't recommend it on other reasons that could potentially be labeled as "moral" ones.
Exactly how big of a bump was this?

I agree with the picture.

I don't want a relationship of any 'kind' that you suggest (especially in the second paragraph); wastes my precious time.
I would want someone with which whom I could have a nice discussion with, but NO... Most girls and boys at this age just whine and overreact. :mad:

Team Giza

Smash Lord
A lot of people in high school think they need to start a relationship just to be physical. I was just saying just in case. I didn't mean to imply anything about you.

Odd, I don't remember going back pages or searching anything to get to this thread so I have no idea who I actually got to it now. Oh well.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
High school relationships brought me alot of misery during my Junior year of high school. I went out with two girls that year and both ended in EPIC fail. It took me two years to completely restore my self-confidence and just thinking about them now makes me bitter. So its not always good for everyone, but I guess I learned a few things (yet very little) about relationships. I ruled out the possibility of getting in a relationship during my Senior year. I didn't want to eff that year up at all. Yet during my senior year...I had this immature chick stalk me for a FREAKING YEAR claiming that she loved me and I rejected her for the entire year. >.< However, we're kind of good friends now and she's matured alot (She's a Senior in high school now, I'm a sophomore in college)

Idk, I just think that you should go with your heart when making these kinds of decisions, like I did with my first relationship. You won't know what you missed if you completely rule them out. Unfortunately, going with my heart didn't work out for me at all. Hopefully it will next time.

Top Bottom