• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reliable 3rd-party controller for Smash?

HoldMahBeer

Smash Rookie
NNID
HoldMahBeer
Can someone link me to a cheap, reliable 3rd-party controller that is capable of competitive play?

All three of my controllers A buttons are dead, and my Wavebird is on its last leg.

Thanks!

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Commonly it's agreed that there's no 3rd party controller that fulfills any of your requirements, and you should just try and find a used official one (in good condition), if a new one isn't an option for you.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
You can also buy a triwing screwdriver for pretty cheap and try to see what's wrong with your previous controllers' A buttons. The A button shouldn't really die unless something went out of place in the interior of the controller, or there's something inside the controller that you can clean/remove that was preventing it from working fine.

Do not buy the cheap 3rd party unofficial gamecube controllers that look official but have no Nintendo logo on them. I bought one for a couple dollars to see a while back, and it literally came with the L button already broken and the c-stick was upside down. After trying to play melee with it for about an hour, the R button also broke and it no longer read c-stick inputs correctly. T'was one of the fasting things to ever go from my mailbox to my trash bin :p

WHA?

Smash Ace
hey i got a couple controllers. Nintendo brand. can sell you one for 20ish depending on shipping. if you are interested let me know. I have blacks and indigos, all working and with the grips intact.

or I am willing to take a chance and trade you your 3 broken ones for one of my working ones.

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
hey i got a couple controllers. Nintendo brand. can sell you one for 20ish depending on shipping. if you are interested let me know. I have blacks and indigos, all working and with the grips intact.

or I am willing to take a chance and trade you your 3 broken ones for one of my working ones.
Do you have any pictures of these controllers? I might be interested in some. So you have blacks? Do you have any platinum ones?

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Painting them is a possibility. I think there's a few guides on the webs.

If you can get a Gamestop controller, you could replace the buttons on that one with the buttons from your dying and dead controllers. The X, Y, shoulder and A buttons are all very annoying to deal with. Take off the faceplate, and slightly carve a barely larger space for the new eyebrow buttons. Replace the triggers in the Gamestop with trigs in your other ones, and get a priest to bless it. Congratulations! You have a controller!

seko08sk

Smash Cadet

Are you willingto trade I have a semi working the analog stick just moves a bit to the side

WHA?

Smash Ace
Do you have any pictures of these controllers? I might be interested in some. So you have blacks? Do you have any platinum ones?
no platinum ones. I have sold some through reddit. my username is : chubuwee
i will either make a new post there, or just update my old one with new pics and send you a link soon. I also write descriptions for them. like if they are loose for spacies players, or more stiff for like floaty players.

Are you willingto trade I have a semi working the analog stick just moves a bit to the side
i only offered to trade holdmahbeer because there is a possiblity i MIGHT be able to make 1 good controller out of the 3 busted ones he has. Just for fun.

not willing to trade 1 busted for 1 good one.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Even though 3rd party controllers are pretty bad. I have found the gamestop controller one kinda useful.

Top Bottom