• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remembering Brawl

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Even though I didn't like Brawl that much, it was still a good game. The only reason people criticize it so much is because they're so used to Melee and grew up around the time Melee was new or the hottest game on the market. The mechanics are changed to more like an explosive hit type of game, rather than a combo attack and speed type of game like Melee was. I'm a big Melee fan myself, but I feel like Smash 4 for the Wii U and 3DS have great potential. Especially the 3DS version being the first Super Smash Bros. game on the go. Lets just imagine that for a moment. Squaring off against a bunch of people on the bus in an intense and insane showdown being your favorite Nintendo characters. What could be better than that?

We have a lot to look forward to Smash Bros. fans.

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
it will be remembered fondly as the game that i first played while heavily intoxicated. somehow, it didnt change the gameplay that much......

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Oh brother. "Melee players will hate Smash 4 because it's not Melee." As a Melee player, I was beyond excited for Brawl to come out. My absolute favorite game was finally receiving an upgrade: new characters, new stages, better graphics, widescreen support, etc. I was more than fine with Brawl not being Melee; that is not the reason I ended up hating it. Brawl took everything good about Melee away and replaced them with awful things.

Wavedashing gone? Fine, we get DACUS instead. I can live with that... except not every character can do it.

L-canceling gone? OK, what do we get instead? Nothing? Oh, so 90% of the cast is crippled and unable to keep up? Isn't that what people hated Melee for?

Tripping? Punishment for the sake of punishment?

No hit stun? So combos are now 100% reads? Oh my bad. We have a few new infinites! That makes up for it...

Jigglypuff's rest, Samus' charge shot, Link's spin, etc. all receive massive nerfs because high risk high reward is bad? Now it's just high risk?

Slower combat? For online nonsense?

Do you not SEE why Melee players were flustered? I didn't care that Brawl would be played differently than Melee. I expected that. What killed it for me was the lack of options. I'm not even that good at competitive smash anymore, so I've turned to spectating. Brawl matches have a lower stock count but tend to run longer than Melee matches. The commentators literally build hype when *one* hit lands. The game is incredibly campy.

Obviously, there are people who like this game. They like the pace/whatever. They just need to stop mocking Melee players for hating it because "it's not Melee".

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I've loved every game in the series so far. Brawl had plenty of faults, sure, but I still liked it for what it was. Melee and Project M are the best, and Smash 64 is still fun to pick up once in a while. Here's to hoping Smash 4 will be great! I have a strong feeling it will be.

Oh brother. "Melee players will hate Smash 4 because it's not Melee." As a Melee player, I was beyond excited for Brawl to come out. My absolute favorite game was finally receiving an upgrade: new characters, new stages, better graphics, widescreen support, etc. I was more than fine with Brawl not being Melee; that is not the reason I ended up hating it. Brawl took everything good about Melee away and replaced them with awful things.

Wavedashing gone? Fine, we get DACUS instead. I can live with that... except not every character can do it.

L-canceling gone? OK, what do we get instead? Nothing? Oh, so 90% of the cast is crippled and unable to keep up? Isn't that what people hated Melee for?

Tripping? Punishment for the sake of punishment?

No hit stun? So combos are now 100% reads? Oh my bad. We have a few new infinites! That makes up for it...

Jigglypuff's rest, Samus' charge shot, Link's spin, etc. all receive massive nerfs because high risk high reward is bad? Now it's just high risk?

Slower combat? For online nonsense?

Do you not SEE why Melee players were flustered? I didn't care that Brawl would be played differently than Melee. I expected that. What killed it for me was the lack of options. I'm not even that good at competitive smash anymore, so I've turned to spectating. Brawl matches have a lower stock count but tend to run longer than Melee matches. The commentators literally build hype when *one* hit lands. The game is incredibly campy.

Obviously, there are people who like this game. They like the pace/whatever. They just need to stop mocking Melee players for hating it because "it's not Melee".
Sounds like you didn't like the game because it wasn't Melee. Figured as much.

Last edited:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I owed it to Brawl to give me a great segue to pick up on "Smash Basics". I learned a whole lot about spacing, zones, strings, and options/critical thinking without having to be frustrated with my then-terrible tech skill (it still is a work in progress, but at least I don't flounder and have messy inputs 90% of the time).

Imo, there were a few positives to the game. I felt the gap between perceivable mid and top tiers was closer than in Melee (where I felt that in Melee the surprise has come within the gap of Low-ish Tier and High/Top, we're seeing a lot of development of M2, Yoshi, Pika, YL that have become more prominent as niche/pocket picks) where spacing and the RPS effect were more centric in Brawl (they still are very important in Melee/P:M, but in Brawl that was basically all you had to make interactions happen). Oh, and also Brawl Doubles were much more dynamic. You had some very interesting gimmicks that were actually proved to be very effective, things like Snake C4 "delivery" combinations, Bucket/PSI Magnet duos, and my personal favorite, "Anubis" Lucario stock manipulation. A lot of stupid and matchup-ruining flaws singles had like easily exploitable recoveries, ridiculous grab release/chain-grab exploitation become a lot harder to use to the fullest extent in doubles. I feel Project M Doubles also follows this similar trend, with a rich roster that enables some things to go on besides space animal(s)+Peach/Marth/Ganon/Falcon/Jiggs/Sheik, where you basically would have little variance in strategy besides strong pressure and maybe strong stock tanking, edgeguard, or raw KO power. I know MK was a pretty dominant force in Brawl doubles too, but I felt the there were more flavors of strategy developed that proved to be effective.

That being said, I'm a bit glad that Melee and P:M are doing well, they feel so much more rewarding when you get into them and apply yourself, and I feel that Brawl was a great transition into these games. I enjoyed the ride that Brawl provided, but I've moved on (partially because our scene in Brawl died pretty hard), and frankly I've been burned by Brawl pretty hard in ways that really shouldn't be optimal (being timed out/air camped is the worst feeling in the world), especially when your character is relatively slow. I feel like I didn't have quite the same complaints most Melee players did, as my character actually did have true combos (but they hit like a whiffle bat lol), and was pretty fun/visceral whenever you made the comeback or hard reads. Although I have to admit, I have no idea why they made his recovery so awful (seriously, a predictable, hitboxless curvable jump?)

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Sounds like you didn't like the game because it wasn't Melee. Figured as much.
Did you read what I wrote? Brawl is just Melee with all the good parts removed. So yeah, I would have preferred Melee 2.0. My point is that Nintendo squandered a gigantic opportunity. Brawl could have been something incredible.

Did you read what I wrote? Brawl is just Melee with all the good parts removed. So yeah, I would have preferred Melee 2.0. My point is that Nintendo squandered a gigantic opportunity. Brawl could have been something incredible.
I honestly wonder if you'll ever figure it out on your own.

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Brawl can't be considered dead because P:M is expanding the life of Brawl.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I remember really liking Brawl when it first came out cause at the time while I played a lot of fighting games, I was never following any competetive scenes until much later, and it wasn't until I played Project M for the first time that Brawl just didn't feel good by comparison after I came back to it, there's a problem when you feel the input delay when you aren't even playing online.

I may not play Melee as often as many unless there's a remastered version that lets you disable pressing up to jump because that was always the one thing that messed me up most in these games before custom controls but at this point in time while I may not come back to Vanilla Brawl, even with Smash 4 out now I still really like PM, in my opinion they're both equally amazing...until PM transfers over to Smash 4.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Melee is definitely more popular among pro and hardcore gamers but I still believe that Brawl is better
Melee isn't exclusive to just "pros and hardcore players" There are people who take Brawl very seriously (Ally, ADHD, ESAM, Nairo just to name a few)

There are many players who took Brawl very serious and will continue to take Smash 4 very seriously.

On another note, Brawl is going to always be my favorite Smash Bros game. If it wasn't for that game, I would have never found myself experiencing the atmosphere of a tournament or meet the people who I can consider my best friends! I owe so much to that game for everything it has provided to me!

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Man I am so glad to be out of "well it's the latest game"...Brawl's something I'd like to forget as quickly as possible. I feel as if I lost years I couldve been getting good at melee..by playing that thing.

Luckily. Project M..a gap closer between brawl and melee players. sigh <3 i no longer have to go back a decade to experience technical gameplay.

TreK

Is "that guy"
As far as I am concerned, I did not play Brawl enough.
School, girls, poverty and my wii dying in 2010 made me quit the game 4 or 5 times and I couldn't be saltier about it. I still get to play with Leon and the crew pretty often, but at this point you could say I've stopped training.
I'm trying not to make the same mistakes with Project M but it's just not the same thing. Brawl will always be special for me, and I get twenty times more hype for it, even today, than I do for any other game.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
i remember when me and a real good friend of mine were hyping up to get this game, he wanted to make sure i bought the game by getting it with me, too bad he was a casual XD but brawl made me meet many people which is what im more grateful for <3

Top Bottom