• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Repetetive characters on 1v1 for glory

do you see repetetive characters in for glory?

• yes

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
it's a shame this game has no variety. Everyone uses luigi, mario, sonic, roy, yoshi, ness. zero suit and shiek

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
The most common opponents seem to be Roy and Sheik, in my experience. Villager, Mario and Luigi too. And a common trait I also see is copycat-Kirbies. When I beat people with Kirbycide/Swallowcide, some decide to play as Kirby as well, trying to get revenge for what happened. However, they are often inexperienced with Kirby and lose, mostly because they try Kirbycide, I get out of their muoth and make it back to the stage, while they die.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
The most common opponents seem to be Roy and Sheik, in my experience. Villager, Mario and Luigi too. And a common trait I also see is copycat-Kirbies. When I beat people with Kirbycide/Swallowcide, some decide to play as Kirby as well, trying to get revenge for what happened. However, they are often inexperienced with Kirby and lose, mostly because they try Kirbycide, I get out of their muoth and make it back to the stage, while they die.
i dont see many sheik,roy or villager players but i do see lots of mario players

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet
There was once a point where it seemed like every other For Glory player was a Captain Falcon. Probably says more about their skill than mine, but I used to be good at defeating them without using any projectiles as Robin.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
There was once a point where it seemed like every other For Glory player was a Captain Falcon. Probably says more about their skill than mine, but I used to be good at defeating them without using any projectiles as Robin.
i know how every captain falcon will start with a grab and d-throw into fair and uair and the try a dair everyone starts that way

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Around the time the game first released, I rarely ever battled a Mario. Nowadays, I see a whole bunch of 'em. Now I have mirror matches at least once a session, which never happened around release. Other than him, there are usually just Dededes and Captain Falcons. I hardly remember battling other characters, so I don't have much variety in my battles, unless I come across a really good player, who would usually play someone like Bowser Jr. or Zero Suit. Sadly, there are just some characters that I've never battled online, like Olimar.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
ive battled bowser jr twice since realease and olimar around 4 times
Around the time the game first released, I rarely ever battled a Mario. Nowadays, I see a whole bunch of 'em. Now I have mirror matches at least once a session, which never happened around release. Other than him, there are usually just Dededes and Captain Falcons. I hardly remember battling other characters, so I don't have much variety in my battles, unless I come across a really good player, who would usually play someone like Bowser Jr. or Zero Suit. Sadly, there are just some characters that I've never battled online, like Olimar.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
Yeah, Mario is pretty common, just like Roy, Sheik, Villager, Mewtwo, Ryu and Ike.

Also, to a lesser extent, King Dedede seems to be more popular nowadays, does anyone have an idea why?

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
he was high teir but
Yeah, Mario is pretty common, just like Roy, Sheik, Villager, Mewtwo, Ryu and Ike.

Also, to a lesser extent, King Dedede seems to be more popular nowadays, does anyone have an idea why?
he was nerfed so people are kinda late to the dedede craze

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Ness
I came across someone who did the PK fire and back throw the entire match...

Roy
They are getting better. A few are actually learning Roy's frame data, adding finesse to their gameplay.

Ryu
They vanished within a week of its release. I guess he was too hard to use... lol

Lucas
Very boring to go up against. zzz

When I encounter low-tier characters, they're usually really great.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
Ness
I came across someone who did the PK fire and back throw the entire match...

Roy
They are getting better. A few are actually learning Roy's frame data, adding finesse to their gameplay.

Ryu
They vanished within a week of its release. I guess he was too hard to use... lol

Lucas
Very boring to go up against. zzz

When I encounter low-tier characters, they're usually really great.
yeah i noticed that ryu is just gone

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I'm not surprised to see that the DLC characters have all become extremely uncommon online.

Ryu is a really hard character to use. His moveset requires a very high level of execution just to be able to use all of his attacks consistently, plus the mindset required to play him well is much different than the rest of the characters. There is no flowchart for Ryu that players are able to rely on to get results easily. He rewards players who put in time and effort to figure him out, and because most players on For Glory are lazy…

I knew that Roy would eventually see a drop in usage once the hype died down, but I wasn't expecting this many people to drop him due to how many offensive options he had. I have only seen two or three Roy players since I've gotten back from my vacation; fortunately, all of them were decent, so I hope that means that the majority of players that stuck with Roy are actually trying to get good with him.

Lucas is probably the most common of the DLC. Lucas's relationship with Ness is similar to Toon Link's relationship to Link. They are seen far less often online, and most of the people that do use them try to play them the exact same way as their semi clones despite being more combo oriented.

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
I'm not surprised to see that the DLC characters have all become extremely uncommon online.

Ryu is a really hard character to use. His moveset requires a very high level of execution just to be able to use all of his attacks consistently, plus the mindset required to play him well is much different than the rest of the characters. There is no flowchart for Ryu that players are able to rely on to get results easily. He rewards players who put in time and effort to figure him out, and because most players on For Glory are lazy…

I knew that Roy would eventually see a drop in usage once the hype died down, but I wasn't expecting this many people to drop him due to how many offensive options he had. I have only seen two or three Roy players since I've gotten back from my vacation; fortunately, all of them were decent, so I hope that means that the majority of players that stuck with Roy are actually trying to get good with him.

Lucas is probably the most common of the DLC. Lucas's relationship with Ness is similar to Toon Link's relationship to Link. They are seen far less often online, and most of the people that do use them try to play them the exact same way as their semi clones despite being more combo oriented.
i will main roy 4 life but yeah i see lucas most out of the dlc characters

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
:4link:
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

It's not that I can't beat him, it's just that beating him is such a chore. It's physically exhausting to wade through that swamp of projectiles and finally get a hit in.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
all link players spam to hell and using a character like marth roy or ike it is just insanely hard to get in a single hit
:4link:
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

It's not that I can't beat him, it's just that beating him is such a chore. It's physically exhausting to wade through that swamp of projectiles and finally get a hit in.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
You could do what I do and just play Palutena. That way, spammy Links will become more boring than annoying to face.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
they are annoying and boring because they all spam but ihy are super boring with ness iggh i hate ink spammers
You could do what I do and just play Palutena. That way, spammy Links will become more boring than annoying to face.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I love fighting opposing Yoshi's -- they're super rare for me, though.

I'm probably the one playing a Yoshi that everyone sees :p

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
they are annoying and boring because they all spam but ihy are super boring with ness iggh i hate ink spammers
I have never lost to a Link on FG before. They're very easy to read and respond vehemently to pressure to the point where they make terrible decisions.
Just get the lead and they will come to you, which is usually the time they abandon their spam and roll tactics. And once you get past through their spam and roll, you will realize they are not very good players.

Links also get bored of spamming. I just stay away and wait for them to approach. They aren't very good at hitting you with their projectiles lmao.

I wonder why Toon Link isn't more popular since he is the same thing except lighter, more agile, and can get away with spam much easier. Unfortunately the spamming thing is a legit tactic, but it's really fun to play if you have your own projectiles lol.

What I have trouble with is spamming Robins. They're such an uphill battle omg. ;___; Any tips, from y'all about Robin?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
If you are facing a Robin who is spamming, then you should be letting him dig their own graves by wasting their charges. Before you say that they regain the ability to use their special moves and levin sword after only a short period of time, consider the fact that they just lost the ability to use their special moves and stronger smash attacks. That is your time to get in and strike.

The rule of both playing as and against a Robin is to think in the long run. While Thunder and Arcfire allow Robin to cover multiple angles at one time, they have to be careful about how use each of them or else they are goingbto be in trouble. Thunder is an extremely versatile projectile that gives that makes Robin a threat at mid and long ranges, and Arcfire sets up many of Robin's most damaging combos. Losing either if those means that Robin loses a vital part of his offense until the tome comes back, meaning that you are free to turn up the pressure. If he loses both tomes at the same time, god help him. While losing his other specials and the Levin Sword don't cause as much of a problem to his offense, it is still a good idea to keep an eye out for when he loses those moves and how you can take advantage of Robin without them.

Another thing to note is that when Robin runs out of charges, the Levin Sword and Tomes that she drops actually count as items, which means that Robin is able to catch them and throw them at you for extra damage. A good Robin player will always try to grab it if they are able to before it disappears, and a bad Robin player will ignore and let it disappear. If your in a position where you can grab the items, you should always be attempting to take it so you can give the Robin players a taste of their own medicine. That advice is good even when facing good Robin players.

Edit: As for Link, everybody here seems to ignore the fact that his options up close are actually pretty good. Just because most people on FG play him in a campy way doesn't mean that it is the only way he is able to be played.

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
used to manin lik in melee but i dont like spamming i like to get upclose and personal
I have never lost to a Link on FG before. They're very easy to read and respond vehemently to pressure to the point where they make terrible decisions.
Just get the lead and they will come to you, which is usually the time they abandon their spam and roll tactics. And once you get past through their spam and roll, you will realize they are not very good players.

Links also get bored of spamming. I just stay away and wait for them to approach. They aren't very good at hitting you with their projectiles lmao.

I wonder why Toon Link isn't more popular since he is the same thing except lighter, more agile, and can get away with spam much easier. Unfortunately the spamming thing is a legit tactic, but it's really fun to play if you have your own projectiles lol.

What I have trouble with is spamming Robins. They're such an uphill battle omg. ;___; Any tips, from y'all about Robin?

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
robin spam is so annoying 100 arcfires and torhans. I try to get around this by using my aerials on him/her because robin spammers focus mostly on the graound and seem to stay put i one area,but thats just what i see.
If you are facing a Robin who is spamming, then you should be letting him dig their own graves by wasting their charges. Before you say that they regain the ability to use their special moves and levin sword after only a short period of time, consider the fact that they just lost the ability to use their special moves and stronger smash attacks. That is your time to get in and strike.

The rule of both playing as and against a Robin is to think in the long run. While Thunder and Arcfire allow Robin to cover multiple angles at one time, they have to be careful about how use each of them or else they are goingbto be in trouble. Thunder is an extremely versatile projectile that gives that makes Robin a threat at mid and long ranges, and Arcfire sets up many of Robin's most damaging combos. Losing either if those means that Robin loses a vital part of his offense until the tome comes back, meaning that you are free to turn up the pressure. If he loses both tomes at the same time, god help him. While losing his other specials and the Levin Sword don't cause as much of a problem to his offense, it is still a good idea to keep an eye out for when he loses those moves and how you can take advantage of Robin without them.

Another thing to note is that when Robin runs out of charges, the Levin Sword and Tomes that she drops actually count as items, which means that Robin is able to catch them and throw them at you for extra damage. A good Robin player will always try to grab it if they are able to before it disappears, and a bad Robin player will ignore and let it disappear. If your in a position where you can grab the items, you should always be attempting to take it so you can give the Robin players a taste of their own medicine. That advice is good even when facing good Robin players.

Edit: As for Link, everybody here seems to ignore the fact that his options up close are actually pretty good. Just because most people on FG play him in a campy way doesn't mean that it is the only way he is able to be played.

Top Bottom