• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Repetitive Moves

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
Now is it just me or do you hate it when you come up against an opponent online who just loves doing the same move over and over. The majority of the time its a b ranged move such as the lylat lasers or an arrow or whatever. Now, excessive use of this particular move causes much annoyance to the opponent! If that is the aim of the game then fair play, we have thousands of winners. But anyone looking for an enjoyable match which isn't spent constantly dodging a pink ball rolling towards you or a fox flashing past you again and again is going to have to look a little harder. Win or lose, it isn't much fun! So get your boomberang out or fill up your watertank, and whip those buggers off the edge! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Lag is so prominent, people can get away with such spammy skilless tactics.
Wifi is a wonderful place, eh?

If I was trapped on a desert island with only Brawl and an internet connection, I would clear the subspace emissary, get every sticker and trophy, and clear all star with every character on intense. Then, when Ive done everything possible and Wifi is the only option left, I would proceed to watch the opening movie for all eternity.

Don't play wifi.

Uffe

Smash Hero
What you do online won't exactly work offline. Either way, some spam tactics do work wonders. Some characters can spam an attack and follow it up with something else, which is the purpose of why they spam it. To just fire away and run away, which we call camping, that is a way to bore your opponent into never playing you again.

Big Bear

Smash Cadet

If I was trapped on a desert island with only Brawl and an internet connection, I would clear the subspace emissary, get every sticker and trophy, and clear all star with every character on intense. Then, when Ive done everything possible and Wifi is the only option left, I would proceed to watch the opening movie for all eternity.

Don't play wifi.
haha, it is a good opening movie though!

Geist

Smash Master
Well, online is terrible, and people online are terrible players.
If people manage to get away with this tactic in person, though... then there's a problem.

If it's the same move over and over again, it should be rather obvious to figure out what they're going to do next.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Now is it just me or do you hate it when you come up against an opponent online who just loves doing the same move over and over. The majority of the time its a b ranged move such as the lylat lasers or an arrow or whatever. Now, excessive use of this particular move causes much annoyance to the opponent! If that is the aim of the game then fair play, we have thousands of winners. But anyone looking for an enjoyable match which isn't spent constantly dodging a pink ball rolling towards you or a fox flashing past you again and again is going to have to look a little harder. Win or lose, it isn't much fun! So get your boomberang out or fill up your watertank, and whip those buggers off the edge! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
If they have the opportunity to continually spam these attacks then you aren't doing a good job playing.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Unless you're talking about a Falco that keeps spamming and you picked a huge character like Bowser, then I'm sure you aren't doing your best to avoid it... if it's offline.

At least wins and losses don't count online. Show them you don't care by starting a TAUNT PARTY. =D

YagamiLight

Smash Champion

Don't play wifi.
Actually, you should go online and (if you have any friend codes registered) tell them of your situation via comments and taunts.

Tenki

Smash Hero
With Anyone (most likely the situation where you come up across players like he's talking about) has taunt text (comments) disabled.

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
Actually, you should go online and (if you have any friend codes registered) tell them of your situation via comments and taunts.

exactly, how useless is that! Nintendo are so up on privacy now, you'd be lucky if anyone took you seriously! But chances are that on a desert island you wouldn't have wifi anyway! Though you were speaking hyperthetically, right:p

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
If they have the opportunity to continually spam these attacks then you aren't doing a good job playing.
haha that sounded like a dig! Maybe your not reading me properly. If your dashing towards someone who is falco for example (this actually happened to me yesterday) and their shooting away only for you to get there to receive a quick attack and it works like clockwork. The only way to really do anything about it is to DAC and I use remote+nunchuck controls. It impossible to do as I found out.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well, online is terrible, and people online are terrible players.
If people manage to get away with this tactic in person, though... then there's a problem.

If it's the same move over and over again, it should be rather obvious to figure out what they're going to do next.
Ahem. Online is terrible, yes, but that doesn't mean that if they play online that they suck majorly offline. You can see how good someone is online, but it's not too accurate. If they fail hard online, then they either don't do good offline or they've never done online battles.

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA!

That pretty much sums up 95% of the basic brawls I had, taunt parties aside.

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA! PIKAAA!

That pretty much sums up 95% of the basic brawls I had, taunt parties aside.
You can't really expect any more than that though! The kids love the pikachu and they don't have the Friend Codes so they play basic brawl! It makes sense, even if it is bloody annoying!

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
Ahem. Online is terrible, yes, but that doesn't mean that if they play online that they suck majorly offline. You can see how good someone is online, but it's not too accurate. If they fail hard online, then they either don't do good offline or they've never done online battles.
Yeah I can 2nd that, I've been playing SSB since 99 and I've been online for about 2 weeks. Theres a lot you need to get used to, the lag being one of them and the crummy tactics being another! A new one on me is that if someone has lethal damage on a "moving level", they will go out of their way to obstruct you taking both of you down. Especially if you've only just respawned!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I equate repeating the same move over and over to button mashing, and in any fighting game, there's -always- a good way to punish the button masher. Online is no exception, really.. if someone likes to f-tilt over and over I shield grab for instance. B spamming if probably the toughest to overcome, but with enough dedication, you can get by it. Laser locking is annoying, but it's a strategy albeit a boring one, it's a strategy, and there ways to overcome it. I don't find it any less fun though, if I come across an online brawler who button mashes, I just take a special interest in seeing them suffer, and they do. After they lose enough rounds in a row they usually drop out, because their arsenal of gaydom is so totally rejected by true brawling skillz.

Now taunt spamming, that is WAY more annoying than button mashing. At least a button masher will go away... but the taunt spammer, they just love that you hate them.

GofG

Smash Champion
I equate repeating the same move over and over to button mashing
I stopped reading there. You aught to read Sirlin. Or watch Sirlin. He's one of the more well-known Street Fighter players around and all he does is spam low strong with rose.

Top Bottom