• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Requesting Feedback - A Potential Alternate Rule Set

Xelyst

-_-
Try 5 minutes and 3 stocks at some large local and see how that works

I really don't see a problem with the current system though =/

2 stocks at 3 minutes is, imo, not enough...

edit: I also saw something about picking Fox and forfeiting your stage selection to the other player.... lol <_<...

honestly try these theories out at like 4-5 locals with descent players... some of these ideas are horrendous...

just adopt japans old school rule set with 3 stocks but with out counterpick system ... that's a good enough alternative ..

just some thoughts ...

n1000

Smash Journeyman
I love the idea Cactuar :)

My roommate and I played around with the ruleset suggested in the OP and if nothing else it breathed some life into our friendlies.

Each time you get hit becomes a crisis. I suspect a more conservative, or at least a stricter playstyle would become the norm if people start playing with these rules.

Fox is really good on a lot of unusual stages. I'd like to see people spend some time with these rules to see how the counter-picking does work out...I'm not sure if Fox is categorically superior on weird stages or if he's just easy to play well on these stages due to his quickness.

Anyway, I hope to hear of a tournament or smashfest with these rules and will continue to experiment with them, myself.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i don't think he forgot to jump. i think the frames he was getting hard-pushed off the stage were the frames where he was trying to jump. idk the frame data, but i doubt you can jump during the animation of you going to the edge. but you can do a move. so he did the dair, but no jump happened because of the animation of going to the ledge.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Agreed. What was he trying to do there? Dsmash? Dtilt?
dair oos on the dash attack, got pushed off, ledge cancel'ed his jump.

^ is my guess

And sure, it might be his fault, but its still a freak occurance that changed the match drastically.

I don't really have any pity for accidental spacie side b's or ledgedash sd's, but stuff like that? eh....melee is hella dumb

Kal

Smash Champion
Nothing I said would suggest that, lol.
The best player = the guy that never camps but knows how to play defense, isn't afraid of intense, in your face pressure that surpasses that of mango/armada, has unparalleled patience and matchup knowledge, can combo and read opponents like no other, has near-perfect tech skill, unabridged knowledge of all tournament viable stages, never misses edgeguards, hardly misses techchases, never SD's, and punishes them with the best options available at all times.

^^ figure out which ruleset would be more likely to put whatever player is the closest match to this description at first place more often than any other player, and you have your ruleset, imho. It really depends on which skills you feel are more important and should be tested for.
You can see where the confusion arises.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Read the last part and the confusion should clear up. If not, read it again. The player who most closely resembles the model doesn't translate to TAS status, lol.

Kal

Smash Champion
Every time I read the last part I get fixated on the convoluted run-on sentence.

I'm not confused by your post. Merely pointing out how it can be misinterpreted.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
What a useful, informative post. Thank you for providing your opinion and letting us know that you will be making points to back your opinion at a later time. We have all learned something here today.

rofl. anyway we are using this ruleset for the next 20 man tourney sometime in febuary.

I might edit it slightly, such as giving players two bans. idk, details later.

We may be the the first tournament to use this ruleset =hype.

There will be livestream and most likely commentary. These matches will be recorded.

wisconsin HYPE!!!

Warhawk

Smash Lord
i don't think he forgot to jump. i think the frames he was getting hard-pushed off the stage were the frames where he was trying to jump. idk the frame data, but i doubt you can jump during the animation of you going to the edge. but you can do a move. so he did the dair, but no jump happened because of the animation of going to the ledge.
I'm pretty sure unless he was actually in the process of grabbing the ledge he should have been able to jump and if he was grabbing the ledge he shouldn't have been able to dair. Maybe though he mistimed his jump and he was still in shieldstun from the dash attack and then fell off as he was pressing down on the c-stick for his would-be rising dair OoS, if he had jumped a tad later. In any case this is still preventable though.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
no **** its preventable, it was just an uncommon and unfortunate mistake

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Try 5 minutes and 3 stocks at some large local and see how that works

I really don't see a problem with the current system though =/

2 stocks at 3 minutes is, imo, not enough...
I'm thinking this guy. My friend and I tried the 2 stock, 3 min thing for like an hour and I couldn't stand it (although it was kinda funny going "oooohhhh you just got TWO STOCKED BEOTCH!"). Then we tried 3 stocks, 5 minutes and it was much better. Also Speaking of accident forgiveness, you were F**Ked if you SDed in those 2 stock matches.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
I think we're at the point where a low % SD ought to be catastrophic...we've been playing this game for 10 years and yet people still play super fast and loose.

I might accept "3 stock, 5 minutes" as a rule in the future but I don't think we should half-*** our experimentation with Cactuar's ruleset. I suspect a lot of people aren't enjoying 2 stock matches as much because they're so radically different. Since my roommate and I have been playing 2 stock matches I've begun to get the impression that our beloved 4-stock matches are almost too casual, they offer too much "feeling out" and warming up, and too many allowances for mistakes.

With 2-stock matches everything is at stake from the get-go...and that's badass.

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Well SDing shouldn't be looked at as something thats ok because we have 4 lives to spare just in case it does happen. But during the 2 stock matches, It seemed like it really didn't point out who the better player was all the time. Sd's or gimps for that matter would pretty much cost you the match afterwords. Gimps and SD's basically gave both us a better reason to say, "You only won because I blah blah blah". Now there were some pretty legit matches, but there was definitely some "YOU GOT LUCKY" tension in the air.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Here's oldschool problem with this suggested ruleset. I hope that all thinking still agrees that you are supposed to win on your counterpick. It's why the couterpick system exists, to give an advantage to the player who lost the previous game. If we disagree with this idea, then we should just say that every set should be 3 games played on whatever level you stage-striked to (which, in actuality, we are not far from.)
I actually like this idea. I know I'm going to catch a lot for that, but while I don't really mind adding more stages, this would eliminate the overbearing importance of CPs.

ACTUALLY, if we were to legalize more stages (at least up to the G1 ruleset, perhaps a few more than that), and then we were to stage strike from those, and then play on the one that was decided on for all 3 (or 5 or 7) games, I think that'd solve the issue of "CPs being too strong," and I'd argue that it focuses more on allowing the "better player" to win. The issues I see with it are:

1) Emphasizes a different set of skills that not everyone will agree are important.
2) Undermines the importance of knowing all of your stages, which some believe is an important skill for determining best player
3) Many would have less fun with this kind of set, because it'd have less stage variety.
4) If you can't win on the stage first game, you may have a less chance of winning the set.

@KID: I'm not sure why it matters if we're "forgiving SDs" (that's a funny way to put it, since we aren't giving them their stock back or anything, they simply have a greater allowance for error. That may be implied forgiveness, or passive forgiveness, but semantics, lol), because, in the end, the best player should win. What is it about the current ruleset that inhibits this? I'm asking because I don't really know, and you've been in it longer than I, anyways).

n1000

Smash Journeyman
I think that it might be unsound to think that one arbitrary ruleset favors better players more than others. Rather, we should recognize that the definition of "better player" varies depending on the rules agreed upon--and decide (it will be an aesthetic decision) what sort of play we want to favor.

A really obvious example to illustrate the distinction: Hypothetical Ruleset 1 has standard tournament matches being a best of 11, 10 stock format while Ruleset 2 has bo3, 3 stock matches. The "better player" for tournaments with 1's rules would be someone with good endurance, consistency and the ability to adapt to their opponent in the long term while a player who has an aggressive or novel playstyle would be favored with ruleset 2.

It is not the case that one player is objectively, or generally better at Melee than the other. The smash community might be able to come to a consensus that we prefer playing and/or watching one style of play than the other and thus, invent a set of rules which favors that style.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
That's a very good point. So then who is truly the better player? Surely there are some criteria that everyone can agree makes the better player, such as the ability to adapt, and to have the most endurance and technical consistency. I believe that those characteristics, at least, should be stressed by the current ruleset. Unless the better player isn't someone that should be the most consistent and adaptive?

Then we'll have to redefine what exactly we mean by "better."

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Just as a humorous aside, we could have a competition with people playing time matches against each other and have a panel of judges decide who wins based on the sickest, flashiest combos: we would have a completely subjective method of testing who's better and competitions would be something like Smash Gymnastics!

Corigames

Smash Hero
>Matches are too long.
I disagree. They're fine.
>An effect of the amount of time and number of stock in a match combined with the reduced stage list is that we have an increased separation between viable and non-viable characters.
&
>The current non-viable characters are not viable because they simply do not have as many options vs viable characters.

Isn't this a contradiction? If non viable characters can be lamed out of winning by simple tactics, then that will happen regardless of stock count/timer/stage.
>Given two players ... a mistake, lets say an SD by the better of the two, at 4 stock each is often not a big deal.
Maybe not, but if the 'worse' player is more consistent and safe, they may get an advantage from the 'better' player killing themselves with misteching.
>The lesser player will often slack off slightly, the better player will turn it up slightly, and the match will be restored to even relatively quickly. Such is the nature of the game.
Rather large assumption on the psychology of both players. I could easily state the contrary in that the good player would get frustrated and make more mistakes and the worse player would be inspired by this to try harder to get momentum.
>On the other hand, an SD by the lesser of the two, will often seal his fate.
What if the players reacted as they did in the first example? The better player slacks off and starts sandbagging while the worse player tries harder and it begins to even out that way.
This entire argument about accident forgiveness is fallacious. You aren't forgiving an accident when you are moved closer to defeat for making a mistake.
>Similar to this idea, comeback potential in a 4 stock game is much lower between two equally skilled players.
As... it... should be? If you could have epic 4 stock come backs every game, then that would be weird considering nothing changes character wise from stock to stock. They had that potential all along. By cutting the number of stocks back, you are just eliminating comebacks altogether. If you can only ever get a 1 stock lead, then, yeah, more "comebacks" will happen, but it won't be nearly as impressive or noteworthy. If you take a game down to 2 stocks, then more people would lose outright INSTEAD of having comebacks from the other person being inconsistent/lazy or you pulling out last minute tactics after conditioning them for 3 stocks. Why is this even a consideration? It doesn't seem like an important enough reason to change the rules, imo.
>All of this summed up leads to a great divide between our competitive community and that of other FGC's.
A) Smash is not a traditional fighter. It makes sense that we would not be similar to games that are.
B) Why does that matter? We are suppose to support smash by diluting it to be more like everyone else? That seems counterproductive. You should grow the community by touting the aspects of the game that are DIFFERENT from other games, not try to force it to feel like others.
>Individual match importance goes down when you increase the number of matches in a set.
This also reduces the point of proper counterpicking. If you want to talk about accident forgiveness, imagine throwing 2 matches and then being Mr. Tryhard for the rest and winning. This does little to resolve the issue that you brought up and, actually, encourages people to throw matches on stages/with characters they don't like because they'll have plenty more games to actually try on.
>helping us move away from the idea of "I only lost the set because (insert counterpick) is stupid/unfair/etc," and more towards "That counterpick/character/strategy was really good!
Why does that not apply right now? I'm not following you. What character gets completely countered by all the neutrals? If you strike 2 stages from the list that counter you, that's 3 left to do well on (hopefully). After losing your first game, they ban your favorable stage and you get to pick the next one. You're telling me that you can't possibly find a stage out of the remaining that doesn't counter you? If you get 2-0'ed, then you had 2 opportunities to play on stages that don't counter you and YOU STILL LOST, the other player is obviously just better. Having more matches in a set wouldn't change that scenario and, in fact, would cause more stages to be used per set forcing players to HAVE to play on stages they do poorly on, even if, due to the inflation of matches per set, they are worth less.
>This also reduces accident forgiveness and increases comeback potential by increasing the importance of individual stock.
By reducing the importance of individual matches, by proxy you automatically reduce the importance of individual stocks. If spilling a glass of water doesn't matter, then spilling drops of water out of it won't matter either, they don't matter more.
>Players will have to know what characters are good on what stages, and might need to expand their arsenal of strategies/stages/characters.
This is already true, do you not think?

Additionally, I disagree with having a lower stock and time limit. In the current state of the game, a player can camp someone else with Fox with some degree of ease. The only thing that makes it truly hard is keeping it up for 8 whole minutes in order to win. That means using tons of different mobility and mindgame strategies in order to pull it off. By decreasing the time limit and stock count, you make it so that a fast character can get an easy lead and then play keep away for the remaining 120-60 seconds, a feat much easier than the converse.
Furthermore, being a player of a character with longer recovery, you are forcing more games to go to time. While I've already had the discussion about this not necessarily being a bad thing, it is in smash. In traditional fighters, you have a health bar that goes down with each hit directly tethered to the victory condition of KOing the opponent. In smash, you can win at 300% by gimping someone at 5%. By having more games go to time, you force characters like Peach and Samus to completely change their strategy to remain viable. For example, if Samus is playing against Falco, Falco can rack up some easy damage with camping lazers. Samus is SUPPOSE to be a tank and live to high percents, while Falco dies at lower percents to a few good hits. So a match between those two on their last stocks with Samus at 120% and Falco at 50% is still pretty even due to the nature of the characters. By making time outs more prevalent and leaving the rules about lower percent = victory, you give an unfair advantage to characters that are more "all out" over those that are more back-loaded and surviving.

As long as you are comparing Smash to traditional fighters, yeah, you'll see great differences. Smash is not one of those games. Personally, I've played many games competitively. For one, Star Craft. That game has matches that last anywhere from 20minutes to over an hour; the game is a test of stamina, forcing the player to endure the stress of managing everything in that game over long periods of time. Additionally, I've played FPS games like CS, UT, Halo, and TF2 competitively where matches go for a half hour or more over the span of several objectives. All three of those games, despite having long matches, still, usually, do best out of 3 sets. That means a SC set could, potentially, last 3 hours. Yet, they see that as part of the game, being able to preserve your strength and last through the long battles. I see smash no differently. It's not, not, NOT, NOT a traditional fighter. It's something else, and part of that something else has always been the long game times and number of "health bars" (Stocks) used per. It's not something wrong with smash, it's something that characterizes it and the competitive field around it.

I would consider testing this, it could be fun and I would love to be wrong on my gut reaction to hearing this. But, my feelings tell me this will not produce the results you are looking for.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Playing this was was craaazy. I tried to calculate and it always seemed 1st stock won. Didn't try it for very long.

Marth is the **** on Big Blue

Kal

Smash Champion
Less time promotes camping. It would be so much easier to camp and time-out when you only have to be patient for three minutes.
This isn't universally true, and has been discussed in depth. The viability of camping at high-level play will remain the same if the time is scaled according to the number of stock.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Camping also seems a lot less wack when you only have to deal with it for 3 minutes.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I think it gives worse players a better chance of winning just by making it more luck based. I guess this argument could be used to argue 6 stocks is greater than 4. Its really about what you prefer. There really isnt any reason why one stock wouldnt work as well, if you played more matches. I don't see why you need a low timer though when you only have two stocks. It seems that would make camping better which if you were really playing to win may prove easier. Winning by time out is in my opinion lame but again its a prefrence more than a balance issue.

SD rate however is character dependant. Fox will do it more than puff.

Kal

Smash Champion
Reducing the number of stock will not make it more luck based.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Sure it will. Everyone makes random errors. Players may perform a good read or tech they can't consistently make. This effect is greater with less stocks.

Also there would be no M2k vs Shiz or Mitchell Tang. Or four stocking. JV would be silly

Kal

Smash Champion
Sure it will. Everyone makes random errors. Players may perform a good read or tech they can't consistently make. This effect is greater with less stocks.
The fact that errors can be modeled randomly does not mean that they are luck-based. There is no random number generator outside of your control that forces you to side-B off the side of the stage. All errors, save for ones that are truly random, can be accounted for.

Does this mean the worse player won't win more often? Not necessarily. It's just not something you can necessarily attribute to luck. Everything within the control of both players will remain so, regardless of number of stocks.

In the same way decreasing the length of time between blind-increases in Texas Hold 'Em does not actually increase the amount of luck, decreasing the number of stock will not increase the amount of luck. It may, however, as in Poker, decrease the likelihood of the better player winning by more strongly emphasizing any factors of luck already present. Though this possibility has probably been compensated for by increasing the number of matches played.

No one wants to address my point?
I don't think the question is really worth addressing. What constitutes a better player is already well-defined and objective: whoever is more likely to win the game is the better player.

You can take a set of criteria, build a game according to said criteria, and say (rather, hope) the better player is the one who better satisfies said criteria. That is fine. However, starting by claiming that the set of criteria constitutes a better player before the game is even constructed is circular.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Day 2 report:

1. It's definitely a mental challenge to get serious about a match as soon as it starts. In four-stock matches I (and I've seen this in pro videos) will be willing to take a few hits on the first stock to figure out my opponent's approaches/how willing he is to try to shield grab, etc. This is a more perilous prospect in Cactuar's system. In a sense every move has become stronger because now every % takes a bigger fraction of your total life.

2. Stages with walls and interior edges have a lot of fairly unexplored tech skill/combo options. For example, if you grab someone as falcon while facing the central Fourside tower from the left, if you down or upthrow they can wall tech off the central skyskraper and just grab the edge...it's really hard to punish. Basically there's a lot of fun to be had on these stages so if nothing else play them for that reason.

3. I landed a sick knee -> weak kneeing a bomb block on green greens.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
I feel as though getting rid of the "lower percent wins" policy would decrease the "camping" of matches. There are ways to do this that don't take up too much time.

One, after the match, the person with the lowest percent picks the next stage, and the first match is discarded.

Two, after the match, the person with the lowest percent picks the stage that players will play on with one stock. the winner wins the match.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I feel as though getting rid of the "lower percent wins" policy would decrease the "camping" of matches. There are ways to do this that don't take up too much time.

One, after the match, the person with the lowest percent picks the next stage, and the first match is discarded.

Two, after the match, the person with the lowest percent picks the stage that players will play on with one stock. the winner wins the match.
1. i dont like because that can stretch a match unnecessarily if 2 or 3 timeouts happen.

2. Treat as a double KO in street fighter... not bad actually...

I couldnt pull myself to play 2 stock matches, but I was at a smashfest today and I made my friends play 3 stock matches, with some odd stages. And doing that in possibly a first to 2/3 games style match would be great.

3 stock just as a whole feels way better than 4 stock to me.

p.s. all of this what makes a better player nonsense is stupid. The better player is the one who wins. Thats all. All we're doing is changing possibly what allows one to win, which just may shift the skillset needed to win, which changes what makes one a better player.

Its really not more complicated than the first 2 sentances in that paragraph to be honest

Top Bottom