• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reserved Luigi Style

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Reserved Luigi style

Working on a new Luigi style that consists of reacting accordingly to your opponents moves, consistently maintaining yourself at a Mid-“Boxing” range, and using moves to bait an attack while leaving Luigi as least open as possible. Airdodges and spotdodges would be a huge part of this style since it’s a mobile defensive style. Spamming fireballs while moving at a pace where I position myself away from harm would be smart. This style would be most effective at mid-range to bait a close range situation where the opponent misses their attack due to the constant dodging… a.k.a baited aerials that Luigi threw out and such. Spotdodge to Jab, Jab to Grab, all these safe options; SHFFAD to Spotdodge to immediate Jab. String of moves that if thrown out in a quick concession can be very hard to punish and can be used as baiting. Landing in front of a characters “Boxing zone” would be important since Luigi’s boxing game is very good, and can lead to quick kills such as Jab to Up B. Mixing in nado’s to retreat and to throw the opponent off, this can become a very annoying and hard style to beat. As of now, the optimal way to play Luigi would be like this since it takes advantage of his 2 frame Jab and playing defensively is bad for OOS options because of traction, and playing offensively in Brawl is a bad idea. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MASTER JAB CANCELING AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERY OPPURTINITY WITH THIS STYLE!! Though a reserved style you remain at a range where you can punish your opponent for their mistakes, so you are an opportunist; ready to punish your opponent for misreading something and mistakes.

~~ Style idea created by Jbandrew, inspired by Pierce7d by the creation of this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228216

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
This is very good jband. people should actually read this and post feedback especially people who need help with luigi

jbandrew

Smash Lord
This is very good jband. people should actually read this and post feedback especially people who need help with luigi
Thanks ksizzle, I like how this is getting ignored so far by the Luigi community.. I really hope they take a look at this because it's really worth taking a look at at least.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Thanks ksizzle, I like how this is getting ignored so far by the Luigi community.. I really hope they take a look at this because it's really worth taking a look at at least.
It would be nice to see some vids of you playing as such if we're to fully understand what you're talking about ;)

jbandrew

Smash Lord
It would be nice to see some vids of you playing as such if we're to fully understand what you're talking about ;)
My wii was sent out to get repaired by Nintendo, but once I get it back I'll try and get some matches up using this style.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call this a new style per say, since I can see some elements of my gameplay in your description, but I'd like to see the progression you make, so I can compare and contrast with my own, and improve them altogether. I"m posting videos for this, cause I can't possibly explain my gameplay in words alone.

TreK

Is "that guy"
this needs vids, if I start spamming spotdodges I get ***** so I must see what I'm doing wrong. Big N better repair this wii fast :V

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I don't spotdodge a lot in my game, at least I don't think I do. I have replays, but I got to get them captured...

SideNote: Does anyone know any freeware capture/movie editing programs? I don't care for fancy effects.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Styles can't really be described effectively, which means we can't comment effectively. I read this but until I see what you're saying in front of me, this is all just bland text.

Can't wait for vids :)

Icyo

Smash Ace
I don't spotdodge a lot in my game, at least I don't think I do. I have replays, but I got to get them captured...

SideNote: Does anyone know any freeware capture/movie editing programs? I don't care for fancy effects.
For capture use DScaler. I've seen it work wonders on capturing game play.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Alright alright, I'll try to get vids up soon lol.

EDIT: Soon = about 2 weeks since my wii would come back in about 10-14 days or so <_<

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm supposed to record only euro vids ; but if you guys need an upload I can do it :V
Just without codes ; as most codes you may use haven't been ported to PAL and I'm too lazy to search them anyway :V

yoshq

Smash Master
this is like exactly describing my playstyle.... I probably spot dodge at least 30 times a game against certain characters. no one is going to believe me though.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
You should give your fighting style a martial arts name like "weeg-fu" or "stache-kata" or "Luigujitsu".

That way we can all have our own defined style. I call dibs on stache-kata.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
this is like exactly describing my playstyle.... I probably spot dodge at least 30 times a game against certain characters. no one is going to believe me though.
Your playstyle is good YoshQ. No one might believe you because imo you're underrated. But your Luigi is very very good :)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
l wish l knew the full length range of jab.. it's alot longer possibly longer than his bair lol.. but l get too scared when its high level play.. but oh well if ZMT and kisizle says so.. then yeayuhz.. doesn't hurt to see a new playstyle.. and vids would be nice.

Eten

Smash Ace
Spotdodging is punishable. Shieldgrab aerials, jab/tilt off ground attacks, and fireball a lot. Avoid the shorthop aerials. This is a basic reserved style for many characters, but Luigi's have the habit of being very aggressive because of luigi's great damage building, combo, and KO percents and that there is a luigi-specific learning curve to dealing with Luigi's shorthop aerials, double aerials, and tornado mixup.

l wish l knew the full length range of jab.. it's alot longer possibly longer than his bair lol.. but l get too scared when its high level play.. but oh well if ZMT and kisizle says so.. then yeayuhz.. doesn't hurt to see a new playstyle.. and vids would be nice.
It's decent length but it's not longer than his Bair. However you can only follow up with another jab at max length, they have to be on the inside first for jab to grab and whatnot.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Some more specificity out of jbandrew might create some room for real discussion. In other words, vids would be nice, but in their place a description of some scenarios and how to deal with them. Where and when your dodge game would be appropriate or just a general outline of what you;re doing and when would be useful.

In their place, more examples of possible move strings, akin to your "shffad to spot dodge to jab" could be helpful.

Just trying to prod and get more out of you.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
oh so it was just the animation and not the hit box thrown out when I did a fsmash? :(

Honestly, Wario is not that hard imo as long as you keep up with him in the air. :O Its probably because i've played Neo X's Wario millions of times. XD

Top Bottom