• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resolving squabbles and uncertainties! Day 4: How much impact should retro reps have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

3rd Parties are not that big a deal for me, but I feel 4 at most would be reasonable.

And to correct BKuppa, Slime is essentially the Pikachu of Dragon Quest. If Slime is too "unimportant", then Pikachu should not have been in Smash to begin with (and especially not Jigglypuff).

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
As much i want in more 3rd party characters to make more variety to the roster, it's most likely not happening. I say four 3rd parties is the most realistic prediction. I'd love to see Simon Belmont, but he'd most likely take Snake's spot though considering that he's Konami. Megaman is a must character. I say they should keep both Sonic and Snake though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Simon Belmont, Mega Man, Bomberman, ...can't think of much more 3rd parties I'd add.

I'd prefer one that has been with Nintendo or close to Nintendo since NES days like Sonic and Snake. Snake being one of the characters on an NES game and Sonic being the new system mascot that threatened the NES with it's superior 16-bit graphics

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If we go by them being close to Nintendo, Bomberman should have a lot more priority than any other Konami rep. (which i would love because he's like a missing piece to smash)

:phone:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Yeah, I would totally love to see Bomberman but I don't see more than 4 getting and he isn't too likely.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There should only be one character per company. For example, Namco should only get one rep for their company. That is why I feel Sonic shouldn't get a 2nd rep.

I think three-4 3rd party reps is reasonable. While I don't want sonic and snake to return to SSB4 (not out of dislike but because I want to see different 3rd party characters. Leave them as Brawl only).

So, in short, one 3rd party character per company and 3-4 character slots.

D

Deleted member

One third-party per company, no exceptions.

Nothing more than four is acceptable, but I'd prefer just three; Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Nobody, Nintendo or otherwise, has achieved the popularity and requests that Sonic did pre-Brawl, and Snake was asked to be in by Sakurai's friend, so I don't see him leaving either. 4 is the number that we all agree on, because it's reasonable. I don't think Megaman is as likely as everybody thinks (though he is still the most popular 3rd-party in terms of requests right now), and neither is Pac-Man. While they will most likely get in, I'd rather like to see the four be Sonic, Snake, Simon Belmont, and Ryu Hayabusa, because the latter two are iconic characters to Nintendo (Simon more than Ryu, though), and their games could be considered staple games for the NES and SNES consoles.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i would say four 3rd parties. Snake was asked to be included, and Sonic is the most popular character ever requested for the game. I would think a Namco rep would get in because they are helping. I would say Megaman, but Capcom hasn't appeared to like Megaman lately. I agree that people are overestimating his chances. At least that is how I see it.

I hope Megaman and Pac-Man/Lloyd Irving get in, along with Snake and Sonic returning. (If they even remove Sonic, the backlash from it will be awful. SIMPLY AWFUL. I think we all can agree with that)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I say we don't limit 3rd parties as long as they fit with the Nintendo theme or have been important in Nintendo history

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The title says "How many you think SHOULD get in", not have many will get in

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Think doesn't make should irreverent.

Will does, but neither word are in the question asked.

The way you should phrase it is, "How many characters do you think there will be in Smash 4" completely ignoring the should

jigglover

Smash Lord
Hmm, never mind, day's up! :troll: Besides, the question in the tile has to be short due to limited space in the title. :/ I will be flipping a coin shortly to see whether we will be discussing: Should star fox get another representative? Or How much importance should be placed on retro reps? Either way I smell a tasty debate!

jigglover

Smash Lord
Sorry, I got way-layed...Football match on... The coin came up tails, so the topic we will now be discussing is Will star fox get a new rep? The verdict of yesterday was that there should be 4 third-parties in the next game. I would also like to remind you that you can vote on and nominate topics again, so please do, or else this game will run dry quick...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm going to go with what Peacock said.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Dear god, I hope not. I'm just gonna come out and say what I feel: Star Fox, as a series, is overrated. It had two really good, maybe even great, games on the SNES and N64, and the series has only been "pretty good" at best since then. And yet, it somehow managed to get 3 characters as representatives, more than F-Zero(which has had a comparable number of game) and Fire Emblem(which has had double the amount of games released that Star Fox has). I don't expect a new rep, but if we do get one I will be very angry.

Edit: I'm surprised nobody has gotten angry at me for saying this yet.

D

Deleted member

3. Fox, Falco, Wolf.

4th would be Krystal or Slippy, preferably Slippy.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
^ Wouldn't have it any other way.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
At best there will be three: Fox McCloud, Falco Lombardi, and Wolf O'donnell. There will probably not be any more due to the fact that having more would be unfair for other franchises that deserve it more.

But if there was a choice for a newcomer, it would probably be Leon or (gag) Krystal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it could go either way with Starfox, staying at three or increasing to four. During pre-Brawl I would've said that the addition of Krystal was much more likely than not (of course I also would've said she would be included before Wolf -- so it still would've been 3 SF reps), but nowadays her popularity, while not gone, has definitely decreased, due in part to lack of recent appearances and new non-remake SF games in general.

Still, she has some remaining popularity, so her inclusion isn't that farfetch'd. :083:

Personally I'd be happy if she was included, but my answer is no, because with no new games and no outstanding popularity, her spot (or the spot of any 4th SF character, but anyone other than Krystal isn't happening) will most likely be used for a character more popular/more relevant/character from a less represented series. Unless of course SF Wii U is in development, which it very well might be, but going with what we know now, I'll stick with no.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Please only 3. Krystal would be cool and all. But they're not big enough to have 4 characters. Only 3.

D

Deleted member

Leaning towards four at the moment, in which they would be Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Krystal.

Krystal still remains decently requested to this day and there is no one else that is even moderately wanted. That and Sakurai mentioned Krystal's telepathy in her Brawl description trophy, so Sakurai does have some idea of what Krystal can do.

In regards to Star Fox having three reps, it's probably because it's a character-orientated franchise and more so than Metroid. If Sakurai cared about how big a series was, Star Fox wouldn't have gotten a third rep and Donkey Kong would have already gotten a third one. He also wouldn't have expressed concerns about having too many Mario or Pokemon characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I personally am content with 3 characters with SF, and I suppose i wouldn't be totally against a 4th. But I have a feeling that if they get a fourth, it will be Krystal, and i don't really think they would get another character after that, period.

So i guess what i'm saying is, yes, i am for some strange reason expecting a fourth SF rep, and that it will be Krystal.

jigglover

Smash Lord
This is interesting, we're roughly 50/50 on this topic with 5 (me included) for a new star fox rep, and 6 for no. Also can I remind you that you can vote and nominate topics again!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, if i can nominate a question to discuss, i will nominate "How large should we expect the roster to be in Smash 4?".

jigglover

Smash Lord
Finally got round to updating the OP! I'll get back on track with this thread soon! Why are me and SSBF out of schedule at the same time!? Strange huh... Anyway...
Todays topic is how much importance should be placed on retro characters. To make the OP short I just put in the options of 0%, 25%, 50%, and 75%, since I certainly don't want 100 pics in the OP, or even 10!
Please remember that you can vote for and nominate topics, and please do, or else I'll just do the topics in the order nominated and eventually make up my own...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
2 new ones per game, just as always. It's a tradition, and one that really has no reason to be broken.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I added a 10% to the OP, since I realized it would be 25% or 0 before, this levels it out a little. Shinpichu, can I have a percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom