• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Respectable

stoneswithstand

Smash Apprentice
Do you ever judge on how respectable a character is?

Maybe its just the player but...
I get really annoyed when I'm up against Ike, ROB, and G&W
And I respect anyone who plays as jiggly or yoshi.
(Im not concentrating on tiers or anything just in my opinion on how playable a character is)

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
all characters are very playable, it's the user who can make you throw your control and break it.....(the same reason i'm the only one in my playing area with a decent controller due to winning all the time...regardless of characters I use...lol)

It's all aboot mind games, defensive capabilities, and timing. For instance, DDD may be a slooooow character, but he could still take out a decent pikachu player with grabs and shielding.

EDIT: I think my favorite most versatile character in all aspects of combat has to be either Snake or Squirtle.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Characters I like to see: Yoshi, Jiggs, CF, Olimar, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Lucario and Kirby. These arn't exactly bad characters, I just like to play with people who use them for some reason.

Characters I don't like to see: MK, Snake, Dedede, Pit and some Zelda players.

Snail

Smash Lord
I hate Pit because of the arrow spam and the voice. And when they win they think they've accomplished something while all they did was spam arrows and that angel ring thing. >_<

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I only don't respect characters when they do nothing but spam certain attacks and fail miseribly. With that being said, about half the people who play anyone battles. :laugh:

"Hey look, I'm Ike and I'm going to hit you with a fully charged Fsmash!"

"... but I'm all the way on the other side of screen... how?"

"Just run up and jump right into it. You know you want to..."

"I'm playing as Falco though... I could just shoot you with my lazer from here..."

"JUST DO IT MAN! I NEED AT LEAST 6 KO'S THIS MATCH OR MY SELF ESSTEM WILL PLUMMET!"

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I only automatically respected Bowser players in Melee.
I dont like ROB players. -_-

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
only when it's Bowser that's when, other than that I don't respect anyone who uses characters such as Pit for the purpose of just spamming which I can tell you I dislike

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I respect Donkey Kong players. DK has got to be one of the most forgettable characters in the Smash series since Melee. So seeing people professionally (or even mediorcely [sic]) play Donkey Kong makes my day.

stoneswithstand

Smash Apprentice
No. And neither should you. /thread
why shouldn't i?
Some characters are harder to play with, some players are easier to play with. You can't deny that.

Ikes during free for alls feed off of side bs and fsmashes
and its also personal experience.
My friend picks game and watch or rob JUST to win. They are both easy characters to play with. If you have a hard time with either of those characters (especially g&w), then you might sort of suck.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Hard time with what, playing WITH them or AGAINST them? Either way, I don't think either character is particularly simple to use, especially R.O.B. He's actually one of the most awkward characters for me to use, just below Ice Climbers.

Also, while there are few true DK players and it's good to see more of them around, the fact that most of them spawned just to be a safe counter for a main with a weakness to one of the top tiers doesn't help, either. If Yoshi ever gets some groundbreaking super advantage against a top tier, expect to see a huge increase in him. This, I'm not too fond of.

stoneswithstand

Smash Apprentice
peach is also respectable (to me)

successor of raphael:
both with or against. everything.
But this is off my own personal experience and everyone has different opinions.

Its an open forum right?

mzink*

Smash Ace
I just have a question, those of you that said you don't have much respect for ROB, why is that? Just curious cuz he didn't really strike me as a character that people would feel that way about.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I respect other good Marth players. You have to know all of the spacing and everything to get the most out of your attacks, and being a pretty good Marth main myself, I know how hard that can be in the heat of battle.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I'm unsure of how they're handled with humans (I'm surrounded by a Smash dead zone and don't have high speed Internet), but some CPUs just inspire me to wrath. Olimar is CHEAP. He keeps spamming his fair, fsmash, usmash, and uair, which basically blocks every possible attack with a disjointed hitbox. Pikachu is also a cheap arsed CPU: even on level nine, he just spams his up and down smashes, his Thunder, and his Thunder Jolt. It's especially annoying since Thunder was buffed so much. Diddy Kong is also rather cheap, for some reason. Jiggly's not cheap, just annoying. Meta-Knight is a pain, simply because his attacks come out so quickly and have next to no ending lag. Snake isn't bad as a CPU, but noob human players find a quiet area of the stage and start spamming his Nikita: THAT gets obnoxious pretty quickly. In four-player matches, I usually go Snake hunting as a first priority.

Some characters, on the other hand, I just feel sorry for. Link, Samus, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon all try really hard. They try. But it's PATHETIC.

And Captain Falcon is far from honorable. If you zoom in on his up-B in slow motion, you can clearly see that he uses the technique to **** his opponents with repeated pelvic thrusts. Not very nice.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
I'm unsure of how they're handled with humans (I'm surrounded by a Smash dead zone and don't have high speed Internet), but some CPUs just inspire me to wrath. Olimar is CHEAP. He keeps spamming his fair, fsmash, usmash, and uair, which basically blocks every possible attack with a disjointed hitbox. Pikachu is also a cheap arsed CPU: even on level nine, he just spams his up and down smashes, his Thunder, and his Thunder Jolt. It's especially annoying since Thunder was buffed so much. Diddy Kong is also rather cheap, for some reason. Jiggly's not cheap, just annoying. Meta-Knight is a pain, simply because his attacks come out so quickly and have next to no ending lag. Snake isn't bad as a CPU, but noob human players find a quiet area of the stage and start spamming his Nikita: THAT gets obnoxious pretty quickly. In four-player matches, I usually go Snake hunting as a first priority.

Some characters, on the other hand, I just feel sorry for. Link, Samus, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon all try really hard. They try. But it's PATHETIC.

And Captain Falcon is far from honorable. If you zoom in on his up-B in slow motion, you can clearly see that he uses the technique to **** his opponents with repeated pelvic thrusts. Not very nice.
your wrong captain falcon is honorable,you probably dont honor him because you always get beat by him. why are you complaining about all these characters anyways?maybe you cant beat any of them. link is the same as toon link your calling your own character PATHETIC.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I switched to Toon Link because Link is indeed pathetic. Toon Link can actually combo. And jump. And run.

I can beat all of them. I just don't enjoy fighting them, due to their cheap tactics.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
why shouldn't i?
Some characters are harder to play with, some players are easier to play with. You can't deny that.

Ikes during free for alls feed off of side bs and fsmashes
and its also personal experience.
My friend picks game and watch or rob JUST to win. They are both easy characters to play with. If you have a hard time with either of those characters (especially g&w), then you might sort of suck.
Did you ever go to a sports game and go "Hey, that guy's not respectable! He's just way too much better than that other guy! How dares he?!".

How dare some people just be overall better than others in Competitive play?! Why aren't all characters in the game equally good so one can make's one choice of character (for Competitive play) solely based on fanboyedness?

Captain Falcon is a pretty ****ty character, so I guess he's honorable. Toon Link is pretty good, no honor to him!

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
ike = unrespectable
marth = gay
Too many f***ing times I have to answer this question. Lots of people here are under the impression that Marth is gay. HE ISN'T!!!! HE HAS A WIFE IN THE GAMES HE IS IN!!!! Some people think so superficially, its crazy! If you want more reasons why Marth isn't gay, go read Proverbs thread in the Marth forums, titled "Let Me Officially End the Question of Marth's Masculinity" This will help all you intolerant jerks learn the truth about Marth.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Too many f***ing times I have to answer this question. Lots of people here are under the impression that Marth is gay. HE ISN'T!!!! HE HAS A WIFE IN THE GAMES HE IS IN!!!! Some people think so superficially, its crazy! If you want more reasons why Marth isn't gay, go read Proverbs thread in the Marth forums, titled "Let Me Officially End the Question of Marth's Masculinity" This will help all you intolerant jerks learn the truth about Marth.
Just get over it.
I like Marth too, but you just have to accept the fact that people are going to call him gay.
I highly doubt theres any charecter in Brawl that HASN'T been called gay at some point.
Just relax, take a deep breath, and ignore posts like that.
I'm on your side but why fight a pointless battle?

Veggi

Smash Champion
Did you ever go to a sports game and go "Hey, that guy's not respectable! He's just way too much better than that other guy! How dares he?!".

How dare some people just be overall better than others in Competitive play?! Why aren't all characters in the game equally good so one can make's one choice of character (for Competitive play) solely based on fanboyedness?

Captain Falcon is a pretty ****ty character, so I guess he's honorable. Toon Link is pretty good, no honor to him!
No. The people playing Smash are the sports players, having two people playing with one a bad character vs. another a good character would be like a person playing with a normal racket while the other plays using a racket with a hole in it. However the other person can't just "get another racket" because he doesn't like the racket and doesn't have any experience with it. For someone to pick a character that isn't used as much and work with it despite knowing it would be easier to just pick another character is what people would be considered respectable. People like seeing players use their favorite characters and add variety to things they see.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
i respect most awesome characters
bowser
ganon
luigi
yoshi
falcon
etc

Hate ROB and ike.
I dont hate snake or MK, but i don't respect people who main them simply because they are good

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Fire Emblem fan, and am well aware that Marth is straight like he oughtta be. The fact is, his Smash incarnation(s) are exceedingly feminine in appearance and mannerism. Gay jokes tend to follow, even among us FE players who know better. It's not like they're insulting you or anything, so don't worry about it overmuch. Those noobs who actually think he's a homosexual deserve to rot in their stupidity.

Javier78

Smash Apprentice
I respect pretty much anyone that isn't Ike or Meta-knight.

Ike is ironically one of my easiest opponents.(IC and Dedede main...)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No. The people playing Smash are the sports players, having two people playing with one a bad character vs. another a good character would be like a person playing with a normal racket while the other plays using a racket with a hole in it. However the other person can't just "get another racket" because he doesn't like the racket and doesn't have any experience with it. For someone to pick a character that isn't used as much and work with it despite knowing it would be easier to just pick another character is what people would be considered respectable. People like seeing players use their favorite characters and add variety to things they see.
The's more respectable because he chose to play with a racquet with a hole in it instead of the racquet that's top of the line? Why? Because he chose to handicap himself? Because just loves that racquet with a hole in it so much?

And this is respectable. No, there's no logic here, either.

Some people enjoy winning. As they enjoy winning, their favourite characters for Competitive play would have to have at least a decent chance of winning. I don't play fighting games for fanboyedness. I don't pick a main based on who's "the coolest" or "has the best personality".

I pick them based on style and winnability (I instinctively drift towards higher tiered characters even when I have no idea of the tier list). I guess I'm not respectable because my racquet doesn't have a hole in it!

It's kinda OK to respect people more for certain character choices. It's not OK to auto-disrespect people for their character choices, however. Who's to that that Snake players doesn't just like Snake the most, think he's the coolest and most fun to play with?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Just get over it.
I like Marth too, but you just have to accept the fact that people are going to call him gay.
I highly doubt theres any charecter in Brawl that HASN'T been called gay at some point.
Just relax, take a deep breath, and ignore posts like that.
I'm on your side but why fight a pointless battle?
Thanks, you are right, it just ticks me off. And you should always take advice from ninja-koopas:laugh:

Top Bottom