• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

Chroma

Smash Apprentice
From the card game:

Inui Logic: If Player A beats Player B and Player B beats player C, Player A is better than Player C.
If you are caught using Inui Logic, you lose a stock. If your mindgames are within two of the opposing player's mindgames, you are chokeslammed through the TO desk.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
From the card game:

Inui Logic: If Player A beats Player B and Player B beats player C, Player A is better than Player C.
If you are caught using Inui Logic, you lose a stock. If your mindgames are within two of the opposing player's mindgames, you are chokeslammed through the TO desk.
LOLLLL, nice!

Gastogh

Smash Apprentice
Ah, good old asswhooping, that finest and most entertaining of intransitive conditions.

Armada

Smash Lord
Haha I should totally start playing that game!
If Im coming to UK in the future we need to play that game =)

Quic

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how half the community is treating this like getting rejected by some girl and not taking it particularly well.
"FINE, WALK OUT THE DOOR, YOU'LL BE BACK, YOU'RE NOTHING WITHOUT ME!"
It's his decision to quit if he doesn't feel it anymore.
Thanks Armada for being the EU competitor I could root for.
And also for being in my pool in my first tournament, I was so scared hahaha

The Star King

Smash Hero
^And as far as I can tell from some recent posts, some people are going through the talk-trash-about-your-ex phase...

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Mango and Armada are both good, but the one thing that really sets them apart is the following:
Armada was easily the best player of all time, and the best tournament-goer I've ever had the pleasure of TO'ing for.
Dude was never late for a match, always checked in before he went for food, always polite and friendly, always gracious in victory or defeat.
Armada was, if not the best champion we had ('cause mangoriders will obv disagree), the most respectable one. Has anyone ever had to complain about Armada's attitude or personality in any way in the past 4 years ?

The Business

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how half the community is treating this like getting rejected by some girl and not taking it particularly well.
"FINE, WALK OUT THE DOOR, YOU'LL BE BACK, YOU'RE NOTHING WITHOUT ME!"
It's his decision to quit if he doesn't feel it anymore.
Thanks Armada for being the EU competitor I could root for.
And also for being in my pool in my first tournament, I was so scared hahaha
this has been said about 100 times in this thread

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
From the card game:

Isn't Bones Logic limited to only like 2 per deck or something? Why does Inui Logic get to run free in the meta when basically the exact same card is limited just because it's a Character card instead of a Smasher card?

MaNg0

Smash Hero
yeah but i was talking about the topic

and ur lucky i cant say anything to you or ill prob get bannned

although by ur signature, looks like you have terrible humor

LMAOOO

ahhh from england

nvm carry on dude

Cassio

Smash Master
Mango: Playing Mario at Apex 2010/Pound V is playing for the people?
And you knew I would come to those tournaments (and actually was booked for Apex 2010 before that **** started).

Yeah people maybe thinks I owe everyone a last tournament/year or something. I seriously don't wanna argue cause I love this community but I don't see it the same way.

I travled to USA 7 times to compete during 3,5 years. If anything the connection between USA/the world become better and today we see events like Apex bring so many people from all around the world (good **** Strife/Boback etc).

Me playing without fire is not what you guys wanna see. I gave my last fire to win Apex2013 and I would like if people just could accept that and move on.
You certainly have very outstanding accomplishments, and no one can deny your success. The reasons for retirement are understandable, but there are reasons why people will still make your comparison to Mango.

From my understanding when Mango 'retired' he was at his peak and let everyone know it would be their last chance to play at their best and take him out during Pound 4. He still won. If he went to Apex 2010 or Pound V and didnt try he had already made clear before anything that the last chance was Pound IV. It's fine to tell everyone youre going to retire and wont have anymore chances after winning a tournament, and you are right that you gave a lot to the community to travel so many times and to create a connection between two communities. But this is still a big difference between the accomplishments of you two because you never had to fight people when they we're given a real last chance to compete with you. Youd said you made the decision before and wouldnt change your mind, but then what reason would hold you back from saying this to those youd compete against? If youd done that then people would have no reason to say anything about your retirement, but bc you held back it's always going to be a legitimate question.

Of course the other thing is that even after Mango 'retired' he kept playing anyways with less of a drive to be on top even though it caused him to lose more. It's more understandable for you since you live so far, and travelling to the U.S. is hard so I get that. What is odd is that when Mango offers to travel to Europe if you would not play for fear of losing.

Again outstanding accomplishments and the reasons for a retirement are understandable. But on records these will be two notable things youd avoided when being compared to the greatest players of the game as there were still things left on the table when there were those before you who had risked it all and still won.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
didnt wanna read that cause its really long

but im pretty sure that guy knows whats up

LMAOO

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Some real and legit **** from cassio right there. TBH armada should have warned us first... but I guess what's done is done. Just don't deny us the the right to feel a little more disappointed than if this had been done the right way.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
armada's great. clearly the best in the world and the best peach. and it sucks he's retiring

but who would I rather drink with?

mango

poega

Smash Apprentice
armada's great. clearly the best in the world and the best peach. and it sucks he's retiring

but who would I rather drink with?

mango
I'm probably gonna regret responding to this but whilst I understand mango might seem like a fun guy to party with, i'd like to point out that armada is a genuinely cool guy that everyone i've met likes and wants to hang out with. He is most definitely not someone you dont want to drink with.

Also wtf, the arguably best smasher of all time retires and shows nothing but love for the community and all you have to say is that you'd rather drink with mango? ?!? !?!?!?!?

To add to the discussion, I'd like to point add that Armada has been COMPLETELY dominating the world the last 2 years straight, looking more and more convincing every time. Mango worked hard this year going to a ****ton of tourneys but couldn't deliver and thats that.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i won like everything 08 09 and a little bit of 10 i believe

if armada was at fc or big house or kings of cali or impulse or zenith

he deff would have not won them all

he isnt dominant to the point where you guys can tell me he woulda won every single one of those

Battlecow

Play to Win
i won like everything 08 09 and a little bit of 10 i believe

if armada was at fc or big house or kings of cali or impulse or zenith

he deff would have not won them all

he isnt dominant to the point where you guys can tell me he woulda won every single one of those
I mean I guess we'll never know

he might have, no one ever took him 3-2 second set

the important thing is that he is undefeated, beating every one of his "challengers" decisively multiple times.

PP coulda done it IMO, but COULD isn't really what we use here.

Varist

Smash Lord
Armada is scapegoating so no one can take anything away from him when Mango comes to Europe for SR.

this is literally the wussiest thing he could've done
"i made it through this major tourney without fighting mango! Time to fly home to Europe and claim retirement so he can't chase me across the atlantic!"

loool

Top Bottom