• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
seriously armada

if you were DONE from smash, i think you wouldve gotten a bunch more seriouslies with pp/mang0/hbox/m2k and proven you were the best. beating mang0 in a tourney where you dont even fight him=NOT beating mang0

if you can beat him in a set of 5 the psh you gotta do a best of 11, or best of 13.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
im not making any sense of this thread right now, are People seriously blaming armada because he didnt "Play/beat" mango enough? that doesnt make any sense, considering some of the tournaments they were both at "mango wasnt trying"

Armada

Smash Lord
seriously armada

if you were DONE from smash, i think you wouldve gotten a bunch more seriouslies with pp/mang0/hbox/m2k and proven you were the best. beating mang0 in a tourney where you dont even fight him=NOT beating mang0

if you can beat him in a set of 5 the psh you gotta do a best of 11, or best of 13.
Not easy being me when WINNING multiple times isn't enough to prove anything ;)
Also not easy when I have to somehow controll how other people preform in a different part of the bracket!

Well Im completly done with this thread now!
If anyone still would have some random question feel free to send a PM on the boards/FB

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
@Bones: Europoor is the term you're looking for if you want to insult Europeans. Although I only laugh when flopmericans try to act like they're better.
Ya I feel that. Cause I only laugh when europeons try to act like they're better.

Lurker

Smash Rookie
I don't think anyone is "blaming" Armada for not proving himself. He's done what he can really, it's good enough to be the champ but just not enough to prove that he's the best/#1.

Armada and PP was a really close set, and 1-1 in sets vs the marth
Armada and Hbox was also a really close set, and 1-1 vs the puff.
Armada and Mango haven't played in over a year, the only thing putting Armada above mango is Inui logic
Armada and M2K haven't played in over a year, the only thing putting Armada above m2k is Inui logic

Armada is probably the closest person to proving himself as the best, but I don't think he has. Nobody is "the best" right now.

Edit: That being said Armada I<3u and I will be sad if you go through with retirement.

Engo

Smash Ace
If you win everything for almost 2 years, then you're #1. There's no questions about it. He's beaten all those people before and the only reason he hasn't done it again is because they don't make it far enough to play him. He has nothing to prove, they have everything to prove.

Lurker

Smash Rookie
If you think that games from over a year ago matter and if you use inui logic there is no reasoning with you.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I feel like every post in this thread falls into one of a few categories and it's done progressing. Especially since Armada already explained himself well enough and he isn't going to post in it.
The categories are as followed: troll, troll, illogical adamant argument, then reasonable post.

The underlying problem is that you can't apply logical to an illogical situation (i.e. someone being illogical) and people blindly feel so strongly one way or another.

No matter how many points you cover from however many angles you can't convince someone who believes something illogical of anything if they choose not to listen. I see multiple failed but reasonable attempts to explain to people while their posts are ridiculous or unsubstantiated and that gets followed up with another ridiculous post that borderlines a troll.

I think if anyone were to have taken down Armada at Apex 2013 it would have been M2k with his Marth (because lol-logic maining two high tier characters and being the best at both somehow does not equal being a top player or tournament threat). Too bad no one knows now. Even if that were to happen Armada would still be best player currently. He's already reached that elite level.

Engo

Smash Ace
If you don't take those past matches into account, and you don't take into account the fact that he's undefeated for almost 2 years then what do you take into account? Nothing? Pretend like Mango never lost to Armada twice and demand that he moneymatches him instead of expecting Mango(and the other players you mentioned)to be good enough to have made it to grand finals at least once since 2011 and taken him out?

Edit: "Nobody is the best right now" Wow I had a good laugh from that.

Lurker

Smash Rookie
I don't take games into account from over a year ago because some or all of these players have improved a lot over the past year. Things change, a lot.

You keep saying "not good enough to make it to grand finals". Use Inui logic more please.

I don't think Mango is the best.
I don't think PP is the best.
I don't think M2K is the best.
I don't think Hbox is the best.
I don't think Armada is the best.

There is NO WHERE NEAR enough evidence to show that anybody is "the best" right now, so why bother giving anyone the title.

Engo

Smash Ace
@Lurker

I probably won't continue arguing much longer since the definition of best player between you and me are so different that you'd just be providing evidence for your claims founded under your definition and I would be doing the same under mine. I am not saying both arguments are valid, I don't think so, but because of the nature of the argument it's never going to get anywhere.

Let me ask you one thing however: If Armada won everything this year once again and Mango or M2K once again didn't make it to a point in bracket at any tourneys where they could meet Armada, would you still say even after nearly 3 years of dominance(something only Ken has done)that Armada isn't the best?

Lurker

Smash Rookie
@Engo

Not a fan of the hypothetical game, but if Mango/M2K didn't make it that far then either they were playing really badly compared to what they can do, were sandbagging (both of which would mean that this tournament is an outlier/doesn't count for them), or that they've gotten a lot worse. If it's because they got a lot worse then that means that yeah they aren't really in the running for best player.

That being said, I'm not convinced that Armada is "better" than PP or Hbox. Both of their sets were REALLY close, and if they were to play again today, I would have no idea who would win, the best edge I would give Armada there is 60:40, if that.

Again that being said, Armada IS the champ, undoubtedly, but champ and #1/best are although highly correlated, completely different matters.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
@Engo

Not a fan of the hypothetical game, but if Mango/M2K didn't make it that far then either they were playing really badly compared to what they can do, were sandbagging (both of which would mean that this tournament is an outlier/doesn't count for them), or that they've gotten a lot worse. If it's because they got a lot worse then that means that yeah they aren't really in the running for best player.

That being said, I'm not convinced that Armada is "better" than PP or Hbox. Both of their sets were REALLY close, and if they were to play again today, I would have no idea who would win, the best edge I would give Armada there is 60:40, if that.

Again that being said, Armada IS the champ, undoubtedly, but champ and #1/best are although highly correlated, completely different matters.

I think had I gone all Puff it would have been my set

or had I not gone for that last rest with 10 seconds left

and just like upaired again haha

or **** YOU FLYGUY

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I think had I gone all Puff it would have been my set

or had I not gone for that last rest with 10 seconds left

and just like upaired again haha

or **** YOU FLYGUY
I think you would have too. I saw the flyguy and was like =.=..... Did that really just happen. And same for the rest. I was like =.=.... HB got stitchfaced by pressure.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
that flyguy **** was such BS. kind of reminds me of how armada pulls a stitch out every GF in America lmao. Yeah Armada you should do another tournament. I'm with SW, it's a ***** move to win when competition is high and back out. You have your reasons and that's fine, but still, ***** move bruh.

Varist

Smash Lord
snipped this ******** picture for the sake of smashboards

I think this picture I found is adapted to the situation.
Typical frenchie, adding nothing intelligent to the conversation and wasting precious smashboards bandwidth with tired memes

Varist

Smash Lord
I don't take games into account from over a year ago because some or all of these players have improved a lot over the past year. Things change, a lot.

You keep saying "not good enough to make it to grand finals". Use Inui logic more please.

I don't think Mango is the best.
I don't think PP is the best.
I don't think M2K is the best.
I don't think Hbox is the best.
I don't think Armada is the best.

There is NO WHERE NEAR enough evidence to show that anybody is "the best" right now, so why bother giving anyone the title.
I like this post because it is true, even inverse.

You could think all those players are the best.

Mango: the peoples' champion, has demonstrated transcendental levels of skill and understanding of this game that only Armada can seem even to touch

PP: Beat Mango at KoC and double-eliminated M2K, who is now even closer to the top 2 than we previously thought

M2K: The special case. This tournament, not only did wreck the **** out of doubles, but he DOUBLE ELIMINATED MANGO. And he was one SD away from eliminating PP. Think about that: M2K vs Armada grand finals of Apex 2013. And he could have won that too. We were one SD away from seeing that happen. M2K went balls nasty at this tournament, and I'm 90% sure we'll be seeing him in GFs at the next big major.

Hbox: The only player who has a dominating record against Armada's peach. He literally forced Armada to change characters to deal with his power level. That alone makes him a contender for #1, jiggs matchups too strong

Armada: currently the tourney-official champ, but hasn't played Mango or M2K in over a year, and gets stomped by Hbox. So that's why I can understand Lurker's post.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
SilentSpectre IS the best player

Mitchell tang is the superior best player though

Varist

Smash Lord
That's like saying SS stomped on armada. Isn't HB either even or down a set on armada?

SS must be the best player :awesome: /serious
Yeah, which is why Armada is not definitively #1. Mango's falcon could beat him, Hax could probably beat him, SS already beat him, you get it. Hbox was beating him so he needed a counterpick, now you're saying he's the best player because of that counterpick?

The thing that stops me from calling Armada #1 is mango could literally just take the set with his jiggs/falcon any time he wanted to, he's just so determined to win with a spacie he gets barely edged out every GF.

And people calling Armada better than Hbox because he can counterpick Hbox would have to call Mango better than Armada if he ever chose to counterpick Armada.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
The thing that stops me from calling Armada #1 is mango could literally just take the set with his jiggs/falcon any time he wanted to, he's just so determined to win with a spacie he gets barely edged out every GF.
"Every GF" is an interesting way to phrase "that one GF at Genesis 2".

Tiny152

Smash Rookie
Armada, remember when you said you were retiring from Melee? You were #SADLYMISTAKEN

LLDL

Smash Hero
He wouldnt want to go back on his word. By doing so he will show us that his word means nothing. Guess hell be missing evo

:awesome:

massi4h

Smash Rookie
Oh man, I was getting so hype over this Evo donation drive and SSBM winning. I was thinking the whole time, this is going to have such a strong international presence especially with Armada coming.

Was disappointed to come here and see this, but if it is your decision I can respect it. Though I hope a massive Evo tournament can convince you to do at least 1 last tournament.

Top Bottom