• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retro Games

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
There isn't any section just about retro games in general. I'm certain we have a huge amount of retro gamers here, even younger people who pick up games that aren't from their generation.

Talk about NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, GB, N64, PS1 etc. etc.

For one, I really love Super Mario RPG for the SNES. Geno for Brawl ;_;

I also really like Earthbound <3.

I also have a pretty sweet collection of NES/SNES games :3

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Super Mario RPG is awesome. It's one of my favorite games of all time. As for Earthbound, it's pretty cool game. I just recently started playing it for the first time and I'm almost done with it. It has a charm to it with it's pop culture refrences and humor.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I just got an Expansion Pak and Majora's Mask for my N64.

The Expansion Pak didn't work, and on top of that, I ruined the whole console trying to figure out what the problem was (sad, right?).

Maybe I'll sell all my **** for the console and get a SNES. :chuckle:

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Amiga 600>>> All :laugh:
But seriously, I loved the Amiga and Sega Mega Drive/ Master System. I also loved the Playstation, for having such epic games. My first Nintendo console was a Gamecube back in '04 or '05, so I was never really that big on my retro Nintendo stuff.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You should definitely have an "etc." in there, since there's no way you could name all of the consoles/handhelds considered retro now. You totally missed the Atari 2600, for one thing. =P

<3 Retro gaming. I hope to be coming into an Atari 2600 of my own in a short time.

Also, Chip's Challenge > All. If you know what it is, you win.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
E.V.O is the best game EVER.
Isn't it? I love that **** so much

You should definitely have an "etc." in there, since there's no way you could name all of the consoles/handhelds considered retro now. You totally missed the Atari 2600, for one thing. =P

<3 Retro gaming. I hope to be coming into an Atari 2600 of my own in a short time.

Also, Chip's Challenge > All. If you know what it is, you win.
Thanks for the "etc." tip! It's a good idea, can't be forgetting no awesomeness :o

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Bump for the everlasting retro games!

I hate the train stage in Looneytunes Buster Busts Loose on the SNES. It haunts me =(

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I never really had SNES growing up.. I just had an NES / GameBoy (Which I only played Pokemon games on) until the 64 came out.. so I can't say much there.. but from what I've played on SMRPG on the VC -- it isn't too great too me =/ but that's just me. It was pretty cool and all, but I found Paper Mario a bit better.. (Maybe it's cause I played Paper Mario first? Meh, It's still a good game though, but not the greatest Mario RPG).

Super Mario Bros. 3 is probably the greatest NES game I've played, but there was another one that I can't exactly think of now. It was a Ninja game, but it wasn't Ninja Gaiden (good luck finding out the name) -- but I remember some game like that that I was really addicted to. (I never payed attention to game names when I was a kid ><)

Also -- DUCK TALES. One of my favorite platformers on the NES.. close to beating SMB3. :O

And obviously Duck Hunt was awesome..

Ducks are cool :o

I've been trying all the SNES classics though (on the VC) so I could add on to my retro list later. Right now it's too big to put all in one post. :laugh:

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Contra 3 and Smash TV are the manliest games for the SNES.

I love the SNES and GENESIS. From Chrono Trigger to King of Dragons and Shining Force to Altered Beast!

GENERAL CHAOS IS MANLIEST GAME FOR GENESIS!

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I never really had SNES growing up.. I just had an NES / GameBoy (Which I only played Pokemon games on) until the 64 came out.. so I can't say much there.. but from what I've played on SMRPG on the VC -- it isn't too great too me =/ but that's just me. It was pretty cool and all, but I found Paper Mario a bit better.. (Maybe it's cause I played Paper Mario first? Meh, It's still a good game though, but not the greatest Mario RPG).

Super Mario Bros. 3 is probably the greatest NES game I've played, but there was another one that I can't exactly think of now. It was a Ninja game, but it wasn't Ninja Gaiden (good luck finding out the name) -- but I remember some game like that that I was really addicted to. (I never payed attention to game names when I was a kid ><)

Also -- DUCK TALES. One of my favorite platformers on the NES.. close to beating SMB3. :O

And obviously Duck Hunt was awesome..

Ducks are cool :o

I've been trying all the SNES classics though (on the VC) so I could add on to my retro list later. Right now it's too big to put all in one post. :laugh:
Duck Tales WOO HOO~
I love the theme on the moon

Has anyone mentioned Earthworm Jim?
No but we should have. It's AWESOME

Contra 3 and Smash TV are the manliest games for the SNES.
I love the SNES and GENESIS. From Chrono Trigger to King of Dragons and Shining Force to Altered Beast!
GENERAL CHAOS IS MANLIEST GAME FOR GENESIS!
Contra 3 goes without saying but a lot of people don't know about Smash TV. It's so pro. Chrono Trigger is liek teh bestes gaem evre

TMNT Tournament Fighters, play that and your dreams will come true. :D
I love this, but TMNT4 a little moar :D

Three words. Ogre mother****ing battle.
Agreed

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Megaman X thought me how to use my index to hit A.
Y - End of thumb
B - Middle of thumb
A - Side of index

How else could you play?

X4 made me cry because it was slightly more painful on a PS controller but not as bad as on a GC controller. OH MY GOD.

Edit : Also Toon Marth, glad to see you're from Albuquerque<3

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Megaman X thought me how to use my index to hit A.
Y - End of thumb
B - Middle of thumb
A - Side of index

How else could you play?

X4 made me cry because it was slightly more painful on a PS controller but not as bad as on a GC controller. OH MY GOD.

Edit : Also Toon Marth, glad to see you're from Albuquerque<3
Lol finally someone got the reference. But I don't really live there.

Anyways, I always prefer the PSX megaman x games to be on the PSX, just for the heck of the retro goodness. I'm only sacrificing faster loading times and more comfortable controls... I mean jeez it's not that bad. Wait... It is. *sobs*

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
So now that someone got the reference you changed your location? ;_;

The PSX Megamans were good on the PSX and okay on the GC but the Snes ones on the Snes, now that is pro!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I recently bought (in a second-hand video game store) and played Final Fight 2.

Ahh, there's nothing quite like walking around on a 2-D plane and beating random thugs into next week. :hipsmile:

Beat 'em ups from the older days benefit from having everything shown to you on one screen. The modern ones these days have you constantly on the alert, what with off-screen enemies that you can only see coming if you have a radar. Nasty surprise attacks and such.

Sometimes, a more simple approach is best, you know?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
TMNT Tournament Fighters, play that and your dreams will come true. :D
Oh yeah this game is too good. I never owned it till last summer but as a child in the mid 1990's I'd rent it all the time. It was too addicting and is still a fun game to this day. Just two weekends ago I played it for a great deal of time with my cousins on vs. mode with Hi-Speed 2. Way epic. CPU Cyber Shredder is a pain to fight in this game.

Prince of Persia is a classic as well. The levels were very challanging to me. Not just for the SNES but also the PC. I hated the stage where if you drank a potion the screen turned upside down. I had to lie upside down on my couch just to play it right while the blood rushed to my head. (To gready to find the potion that gives an extra hit.) Level 19 is also historical having to fight every boss but the Crab dude again.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
A brief list of my favorite classics (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):

NES

Balloon Fight
Super Mario Bros. (1-3)
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: Adventure of Link
Mega Man (any of them, really. Particularly 1-3)
Kid Icarus
Ninja Gaiden (1 & 2)
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Dr. Mario

SNES

I've never played any SNES games. :p

NINTENDO 64

Super Smash Bros. (obviously)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
1080 Snowboarding
Yoshi's Story
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Pokemon Stadium (1 & 2)
Pokemon Snap

I'll probably make another for handhelds. :p

day-day

Smash Ace
That Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons arcade game. Man I wasted so many quarters on that game :chuckle:

EDIT: Oh yea Primal Rage for the Sega Genesis. One of the best fighting games ever

Top Bottom