• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retrospectives and Introspectives: A Look Back at the Nintendo Wii

finalark

SNORLAX
These days the only time I play games extensively is on Saturday evenings, when my friends and I get together and either beat/get as far as we can in one game. Last week it was Wind Waker, where we got to the triforce hunt and then gave up.

These days the only games I really have time for are ones I can sit down and play for about an hour tops before I have to go back to doing important things.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Sometimes I wonder if I not getting super casual with games yet means I'm way worse at everything else in my life ever compared to you plebians.

Probably not, you all need to stop sucking so much. God.

Also stop playing Assassin's Creed, any of them, because those games are awful and do not deserve money. Oh man it's the same combat scenario for the 300,000th ****ing time where I use my nigh invincible block to disarm and kill a guy or some **** for 300,000th time.

Where the **** is my Metroid for Wii U, dammit?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I hated Twilight Princess. I was actually kinda blown away when I finished. A Ganon fight being that boring and that easy just Jesus ****ing Christ why.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Assassins Creed is fun in it's own way. Yeah it's not the most challenging game out there. But I do like running around and exploring history. Plus the story is enough to keep you going.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
1 had a story.

2 had an abomination.

I give zero ****s about whatever 3 has to offer.

Fun does not mean good, and I am unable to extrapolate fun from a game that is essentially a grind from start to finish.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
But Cyrus, IGN said Skyward Sword was the best!

And we all know there was nothing wrong in Skyward Sword. NOTHING.
It's okay they were just high on Mountain Dew and Doritos.

Honestly I enjoyed the first playthrough of TP, and honestly I feel it is the easiest Zelda to replay.

The reason I enjoyed the first playthrough was because I was a 15 year old Zelda fanboy and just seeing the game look that good and going through all these familiar locations and stuff was so much fun.

Then I just sort of beat the game and looked back on it. I mean I'd already notcied all the patterns anyway, but I generally didn't criticise anything until I finally thought about it. Was literally just like wow, that was the biggest copypaste job I have ever seen.

**** this game.

It is, however, the easiest to replay because of its shallowness. The funniest thing about Majora's Mask is that I have only technically completed the whole game once. I have replayed portions within the 3 day cycle many times, but only have complete file.

Almost all Zelda games I have only completed once because of what I feel is a high level of investment and attention required to really appreciate the game. TP requires no such thing, it's shallow which makes it perfect for a replay.

Sort of like a Zelda nicotine patch, not the real thing but it can slightly mitigate cravings.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, I disagree, I think it's incredibly powerful to say "I personally find quality in this". You can only be so objective with art, which is what makes comparative discussions so banal. The only respectable opinions can be direct experiences - otherwise we're comparing... sales numbers or graphic quality.

But then yes, it becomes a subjective discussion of "I liked it" vs "I did not". And honestly, like the OP noted, I find positive opinions usually ring truer than negative opinions. At least concerning media.
So...you're saying that "I personally enjoyed it" is a completely relevant statement in arguing that something is revolutionary. And that positive opinions are more relevant than negative opinions, so your enjoyment is more relevant than my lack of enjoyment.

Well isn't that wonderfully convenient.

I'm not arguing about how good the Wii is here. As far as I'm concerned, trying to discern any sort of objective "good" or "bad" with a console is useless. You argued that the console was revolutionary because of how much enjoyment you got out of it. "Revolutionary" cannot be entirely backed up by enjoyment, otherwise everything somebody enjoyed would be "revolutionary." To be revolutionary, something has to do something new, which the Wii has.

And I agree that the Wii is revolutionary, just not because your family played it a lot. It's revolutionary because it pulled so many non-gamers to the console, and because it introduced successful, widespread, fully-functional motion sensor for the first time on a console. It's revolutionary because it sparked so many copycats and people trying to bank on what it accomplished.

How much you enjoyed it has nothing to do with it. People have been enjoying video games -- and yes, families enjoyed them too -- since their inception. Revolutions change something, radically. Your enjoyment doesn't change anything. The wider enjoyment of video games by the non-gamers did. The motion sensor did.

Even with examples like Justin Beiber or One Direction, there is quality in these works. People put effort and time into these things, and it's only inevitable that there is going to be a degree of success. Usually I find dissenters saying "there is better", and surely there is, but this doesn't deprive Beiber from the quality that IS in his work.
Okay...? I'm trying to figure out why you're saying this at all, it's kind of a non sequitur. I said that "I enjoy it" is not a convincing argument, by saying that other people liking those musical artists does not change my opinion. You followed that by saying that there is quality there...?

Besides, even if I don't get enjoyment of their music, I don't deny that there's something there. Music is one of the most subjective forms of entertainment there is, in my opinion, so that's the last thing I'm going to actually argue. But I don't see how this is relevant to the debate at hand.

What I mean to say is the Wii is fun because of how different it is.
Then talk about how different it is, not how fun it is.

With the way time works in a linear fashion, I don't think it's crazy to say that newer things are probably going to be better than older things. Most things improve with time.

Mario I think is one of the best examples of this. Nintendo's takes really good care of the franchise and is constantly refining and rehashing. So yes, it came out second so it's better. Nintendo actively tries to make it that way.

Sega is an example of how to fumble with these type of opportunities.

Better graphics, refined gameplay, refined characters story, etc etc.

Both are brilliant. And honestly, my personal preference is Sunshine. But it's the "better" game. If we were to ask Nintendo, they would say the same I think.
That's an absolutely terrible argument, though. Logically, yes, the newer something is, the better it should be, but that doesn't take a lot of factors into account. Graphics and audio will almost certainly improve with time, but gameplay is something that is an absolute variable, and gameplay is often considered one of the -- if not the most -- important factors in a video game. Theoretically, companies can work off of experience and improve gameplay, but the game designers are human, so mistakes happen, and sometimes attempts to improve gameplay make them worse.

"Sega is an example of how to fumble" is a completely unfair way to analyze my argument. Sonic is simply one of the most widely accepted examples of where newer games have gotten worse, and I know if I pull up other examples you're going to pull the same thing with Galaxy and argue that it is actually "better."

You can look at arguments with the Zelda series, though. Right in this thread, you've got plenty of people arguing that Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were not better than their predecessors. Plenty of people harp on Final Fantasy 7, but plenty of titles have been released since. Other M is widely disliked among fans of the Metroid series.

If you look anywhere and go ask people, the overwhelming majority is not going to tell you that the newest release is the best, for a lot of reasons. Unless a company releases an absolute carbon copy of the previous release, then there's obviously going to be change, and change can either be good or bad.

Yes, Galaxy has better graphics and audio, but I think the innovation involved in the FLUDD gameplay really sets it apart from the other Marios, and that's probably the main reason I'd give to argue that it could be better. I'm not going to say that it is, because as I've said, I don't really care to argue for objective "bests" in any sort of media or art because I don't think objective bests really exist, but I'm certainly not going to consent that Galaxy is "better" than Sunshine either. Of course Nintendo's going to say it's better; it sold better by about 4 million, and of course a company wants people to think that they are improving as they go along, because theoretically, they should be. But I don't think Nintendo's opinion is at all relevant, because as a company who serves to profit off of said opinion, their opinion really isn't that trustworthy.

Honestly, I think you're not the audience (as much as Nintendo tried to tell you you were, LOL).
I'm well aware that I wasn't the audience, which is likely why I don't enjoy it. I'm still entitled to have my issues with the console; there were still games on the Wii that were aimed at me. There's a reason I'm not sitting here criticizing the Wii ___ series.

Good, I meant to be offensive. :smirk:

I really do think there has grown a division. There is the hardcore, that sit and compare a game to other experiences, as they have a long relationship with games from there youth. And then there is the casual, that sit and just play, untainted and blessed with little to compare their experiences to. They just have a good time.

I feel like the hardcore have lost that type of approach.
I completely disagree. Everybody plays games to enjoy them, hardcore or casual. Just because hardcore gamers have experiences to compare them to doesn't mean they can't enjoy them. I wouldn't be playing video games if I didn't enjoy them, so yeah, I definitely resent you saying that casual gamers can actually enjoy games while hardcore gamers spend all of their time analyzing it.

Granted, I'm not sure how "hardcore" I even am anymore, as ever since I got to college I've been playing games less and less, and I don't really keep up with new games anymore because I have too many to play already. But once upon a time I certainly was, and just because I have the context in my experiences to say "I like this game better" or "this isn't as good as the last one" doesn't mean that I'm not able to sit down and enjoy them. I can recognize that Mirror's Edge is a short game with a lot of flaws, but I still love and replay it to death (well, okay, I'm still willing to; I haven't actually replayed it in some time). I recognize that the difficulty in Skyrim is extremely lacking (especially on PC, thanks to quicksaving), but I still frequently boot it up just to play and enjoy anyway.

The whole problem in the first place is this bloody divide between "casuals" and "hardcores" anyway. I remember back in '08 when I was really bitter about the Wii and all, and I absolutely hated the idea of casual gamers. And that's ridiculous. You can't generalize people into groups like that. Basically, the creation of those two groups only serves for people to create this opposing group that takes games too seriously and blame them as the problem, or create this group of people that don't take games seriously enough and blame them as the problem. It's stupid and accomplishes absolutely nothing, aside from creating yet another reason for people to hate each other, and I really don't think we need that.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I like how Wii is called LOLCASUAL when basically every console is LOLCASUAL. Wii just has inferior graphics and a magic wand.

Seriously even on the so called hardcore consoles, the experiences are watered down garbage save for a few. Wii has Monster Hunter, the consoles have Souls.

Yeah...

AAA games in themselves don't necessarily count. I mean let's look at the movie Pearl Harbor, the money and the resources into that film doesn't uncrappify it.

This entire generation has just been garbage. The Wii has its shortcomings, namely graphical and its low amount of dedicated storage, but I mean come on, that's not to say they were particularly more guilty than the others of putting out sub par games. Personally I thought Nintendo's first party efforts this gen were still decent. There were still a couple gems on Wii. There are a couple gems on Xbox/PS3.

The Wii's shortcomings in terms of software quality is entirely on the developers.

I mean look at Prime 3 and Monster Hunter 3, hell even Silent Hill. They showed off some pretty nice effects on that inferior little box. In any case I just resent the idea of anything with a strong, profitable following going super mainstream. The reason for this is that to cater to absolutely everyone, you have to water down what makes an experience unique and enjoyable for its original loyal following.

It's not about jealousy for "omg I used 2 b a nerd but now all those people who called me a nerd are playin mah games they not allowed!", it's the idea that to cater to Grandma Dorris, Frat Boy Cody, and Cheerleader Skank Nikki, you have to strip down the experience to an extent that ultimately causes it to disintegrate.

Oh so everyone can play American Football, we're going to make it a no contact sport where you shout "TACKLE" to tackle someone so even the weak dweebs can play!

Gtfo.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The Wii was a neat little console that grabbed an audience never before seen in the market. Though, it's popularity diminished as quickly as it rose. Nintendo did good to survive within a generation with heavy focus on HD (sun HD, actually) visuals, and online functions. The Wii earned so much attention, it put Microsoft and Sony under the false pretense that Motion controls were going to be the future (so to speak) and they created the Playstation Move, and the Xbox Kinect. Kinect was the only one to garner enough attention while Move was laughed as a real knock off of the Wii's gimmicks (almost right down to design).

Within the last few years, the library has waned and little has come to see the light of the Wii. Great games released, but they were so few and far between.

In all honesty, the sales numbers in recent days are more in line to how it should have performed. People are calling it a failure because of the inflated numbers of 2008/2009. It was on pace to outsell the Playstation 2.

Beside that, the console does have quite the stellar library. And all of it does not have any mandatory patches, DLC, and DRM. The Wii was a fine console.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well put .
Yeah I second/third/whatever that. But this applies to many games, which is unfortunate. I remember once when I was finding gaming screenshots for my computer's screensaver and looked for Parodius (which is a kookier and crazier version of Gradius that was on the SNES), all I found was... Well... suffice to say i'm glad I wasn't in class when I looked for it or my reputation as a sensitive, academic student would have been out the window in milliseconds. As it was I managed to grab like one picture that was okay, saved it, press back and never went looking for pictures from Parodius again.

Some fanbases really suck. :urg:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
In all honesty, the sales numbers in recent days are more in line to how it should have performed. People are calling it a failure because of the inflated numbers of 2008/2009. It was on pace to outsell the Playstation 2.
At least it's close to passing the original Playstation in sales. That in itself is pretty damn impressive.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Considering the size of the market now in comparison to what it was back then, I don't feel that is all that impressive. But Sony DID continue to manufacture and distribute the PS1 long after the PS2 released and hit its stride. I wonder if Nintendo would do the same with the Wii, or drop it like a brick into the water similarly to how they treated the Gamecube soon after the Wii's release. I mean, Sony just NOW decided to end manufacturing the PS2. That's a stellar accomplishment.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You're forgetting the fact that the economy was much better in previous generations. That is something to consider to an extent.

Also imo back then people were far less apprehensive about buying a new game without extensive research into reviews and internet coverage. You'd go into a games store, take a look at some boxes, and choose based on what you thought you'd like.

There is a bigger mass market audience, yes, but I also don't think the gaming scene is quite as healthy and exciting as before. Each generation before seemed to add so much more to the scene. From NES to SNES was a big leap in visual fidelity, content, and controller functionality. From SNES to 64 we went from 2D to 3D, a massive leap and games with entirely new sense of scope. From 64 to GC we went from blocky 3D to high poly and markedly closer to real life representation with the graphics. Sure we look back and think "lol look at those textures", but I remember at the time just seeing models that actually looked like real people rather than some pancake face with drawn on likenesses to be a huge step. Also massive improvements in lighting helped, along with the constant evolution of the PC GPU giving us fantastic visuals that were leading us into what the next generation of console games would look like or most likely top in terms of visuals.

Sure this generation brough HD visuals but... really how much did that add? The games are a lot prettier, and the games are a lot bigger, but in many ways the developers just didin't seem to add any sort of extra dimension to our games. We still have a lot of the dated mechanics of the past decade, a lot of the dated concepts, and all that's new is nicer textures and high poly. Nintendo may have ended up not quite getting it right, but their idea that the added power wasn't enough was a sound one. Whereas in previous generations added processing power added a huge amount to our experience, the benefits are now becoming less and less dramatic. So what if you can see every drop of sweat on a dude's face if all you're doing is still "Cover. Shoot. Cover. Shoot"?

There are many ways in which the added horsepower could be used though. Much more sophisticated AI, say. Maybe the added computational power could be used to add a lot more variables to be calculated per second leading to a greater number of outcomes for certain actions in the short and long term. Who knows, I'm not a game designer, but all I'm saying is they need to do something because now we're just reliving the same experience again and again and it just doesn't excite us all that much anymore.

Only a few games can really get away with such a feat, such as Pokémon. Pokémon is a game which lends itself to massive variety and replayability confined to just a single installment. Different team combinations, move combinations etc etc. The experience can be relived many times with great enjoyment without even buying a new installment. However even Pokémon will suffer eventually unless it really does something big sometime soon.

So yeah, quite frankly, I'm not really all that sold on games offering new experiences. We had a glimmer of hope in Mass Effect, but they totally pulled a **** move on us with that series and **** on all its potential with its increasing desire to strip away what made the experience so damn great, leaving it a shell of what it was supposed to become.

Now see something like The Last of Us looks great, and it's just horse**** that it had to come in the teilight years of PS3, taking them 6 or 7 years to unlock the computational power of the console and give us something that is indicative of a new generational cycle.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I wish I had the money to buy Wii games that I wanted. There was a ton of them that I anticipated, but I could never get the majority of them.

Still, for the around twenty games I did buy (not counting VC and WiiWare), I certainly enjoyed my time with the Wii and if I could repeat the generation but with me being able to buy my own games (and living by myself), I definitely would.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Look at Metroid, now while Other M's story was dumb for certain reasons (no not misogyny), it was in essence, very much an old school Metroid. However because Samus was given a character (whether you dislike it or not), fans lashed out because they had already superimposed a view of Samus onto a nonexistent character, and so Other M was not well received.
Aside from the glaring issues of that game, though I did enjoy it, the fanboys definitely showed the dangers of leaving a character to interpretation for way too long with not a whole lot to go off of as opposed to the Mario characters and Link.

But you're right, Nintendo fans are our own worst enemy, because even as we scream for something new, we totally ignore the few attempts Nintendo makes (Disaster: Day of Crisis, anyone?) and lambast the rest.
This could be said for any fanbase really. Had Disaster been released in America, I might've given it a shot.

Speaking of Metroid though, doesn't it bother people that Nintendo haven't shown of Metroid in HD in some form or another? Like seriously, if there is any Nintendo franchise that would get wows from high graphical fidelity it would be Metroid.
I see more people asking for Zelda for some ******** reason. Heck, I'd love to see Metroid, F-Zero, or especially Starfox get the HD treatment.

When Miyamoto dies I think Zelda will be run into the ground. I personally think every good thing in the current Zelda games are thanks to Miyamoto and Aonuma, and the ****ty stuff are the more frugal of the lot. I mean I have no idea, but it's hard to think that people who've shown themselves of such thoughtful artistic creation could come up with some of the stuff.

Also Zelda needs to evolve omg.
From what I can tell, they've been training people to take on their roles as times go by. I mean, we didn't have Aonuma until OoT if I recall.

With Zelda needing to evolve, I agree, but I really did like the combat in Skyward Sword. I just kind of wish motion controls weren't required.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
For Nintendo's sake, they better do the PS1/PS2 treatment for the Wii. After all, that moved a lot of consoles for Sony, and made a lot of cash. Actually, come to think of it, the NES was kinda the first console to get that treatment. The Super Nintendo didn't really get that treatment for whatever reason, though.

Also, I would be interested in seeing any of the 3D GC/Wii Zelda games in HD (well, the 2 cel-shaded ones), although I'm not more than the Metroid Prime trilogy. Twilight Princess would I suppose have a better "atmosphere," but really, I wonder what the cel-shaded games would look like in HD. I don't know, but cel-shaded games in HD just have an awesome "vibe" to them.

But still, Metroid Prime 1-3 in 1080p HD (THREE DEE!?!?!?) would be incredible. If you don't want that in your life, your life must suck.

Overall, the Wii was a great console that was easily worth the $250 I payed for it. It had incredible single-player games (I'd say the best of this generation), intuitive ideas, and has changed the video game industry forever. It also had near PC-level modding for Brawl (whether aesthetic, gameplay, roster, music, or really whatever you want changed!), which was freaking awesome, and makes the game sellable to even those who are bored of Brawl. It also was awesome that games still cost $50 (which nowadays $50 is really cheap, considering inflation). Having such a deep lineup for retro games via the Virtual Console and some fun games via Wii Ware was great. It also helped that the Wii had a great late-life lineup of lesser known games that were of surprisingly high quality (specifically JRPGs, which the world desperately needs more of the quality of Xenoblade Chronicles).

However, it had huge issues. It's online was almost a decade behind. The Wiimote's lag was annoying. The lack of conventional controller games (or as an option in games) was sometimes disappointing. The 3rd party content was up and down, but usually down. Especially the ports. The Wii ports and multiconsole games were usually the worst version. The DLC was near non-existent. There was no voice chat until around 2010. There was minimal, if any, multimedia features Also, the graphics were literally that of the GameCube. However, what the console desperately needed was a hard drive and more processing power. If the console had those, nearly all of these issues would be much smaller issues, or not issues at all. Plus, games like Brawl would be able to do more.

Really though, I'm glad the industry learned from the Wii. I'm also glad that it appears Nintendo learned from nearly all of the WiiU's flaws (with a hard drive [albeit small], more multimedia, modern-day online, DLC, state-of-the-art graphics, and most importantly, incredible processing power). Hopefully Nintendo can build upon the Wii's successes and build off the experiences of its' failures to continue to make the WiiU great. The last time Nintendo really did both of that we got the freaking Super Nintendo, which makes all other home console look bad.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The combat in Skyward Sword was one of the few highlights.

Most of it was just rehashing. The combat kept you engaged a lot more than Zelda games traditionally do. Honestly I did enjoy the control scheme, so if they just smooth that out and create a plot/premise that's really amazing (hint it's not going to happen), then we're really in for a treat.

I did enjoy SS a lot, but it still had some weird pacing and whatnot. People complained a lot about Zelda sidequests (lol MM), but really all that other stuff to do with actual stories behind them really fleshed the world out. I think a large part of the problem is that sidequests consist of stupid minigames and fetch quests, with little to no involvement required.

Basically Zelda is keep going from temple to temple, oh don't worry about exploration and things, we'll just point you in the direction. We'll do everything for you, supply you with a cutscene, and you can figure out the temple.

Nostalgia exploitation with certain areas can only work so much, we still need to be engaged.

So yeah, make us have to work to get from A to B dammit, and that does't mean "HEY LINK I LOST MY DOG CAN YOU CLIMB DEATH MOUNTAIN AND FIND MY DOG WHO WILL TEACH YOU THE SONG OF THE TETRAFORCE SO YOU CAN ENTER THE FIERCE DEITY TEMPLE OF THE MASTER SWORD?"

The dog then barks out the Song of Time

I'M MARKING OUT BRO

But really though

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Nintendo really set itself up in the 90s, where it developed it's four main franchises- Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and DK (DK was huge back then with the Country series). All of the iconic games of those franchises were in the 90s. Since then, Nintendo has basically just churned out games that rely on the magic and atmosphere of those franchises with minimal creativity and leaving out so much stuff in games that fans want. It's hard to think of a Wii game that hasn't had some glaring flaw that the majority of the player-base agrees upon, or left something out that nearly every fan would've wanted.

Nintendo really only seems creative and well-catering to the fans if you don't play anything but Nintendo. Majora's Mask (which is a great game) only seems like a really innovative and dark, mature concept if the only thing you're comparing it to is other Nintendo games.

At the same time, Nintendo doesn't really need to be innovative anymore, because 90s people will always come back for the magic of the franchises, and it doesn't require that much innovation to lure in the casual market.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Majora's Mask (which is a great game) only seems like a really innovative and dark, mature concept if the only thing you're comparing it to is other Nintendo games.
I disagree with that notion.

There are only really small handful of games that are dark without it being obnoxious and forced, and that is sort of what makes it a mature experience, the way it's all subtext and not forced down your throat. The premise in itself is very dark but even that isn't made a meal of.

Honestly I can't think of many maturely structured games, especially in recent years where the big budget low class Hollywood style has infiltrated games.

People complain about Uwe Boll making movies out of games, but most games have plots and characters worthy of Uwe Boll and not say Stanley Kubrick.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I disagree with that specific example as well, but I agree with Dre.'s general point that Nintendo fans are far more impressed by Nintendo's offerings than other gamers are.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
It's hard to believe that the Nintendo Wii has been out for 6 years already and a new system is going to take it's place.

Overall, I never got into the Wii all that much compared to Gamecube, Nintendo 64, and the SNES (I never owned an NES).

I only bought the Nintendo Wii for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to be honest, but I also expected other awsome games to come out. Realistically, those games did come out, but I never played them because of the simple fact that as I became older, my life became a lot more busy. I graduated High School when the Wii came out. During my college years I didn't have anywhere near the time for games like I did for the SNES in the 1990's when I was in elementary school.

Overall, I can't write a good/bad analysis for the Wii because I never really got around to playing it. I did have a lot of good memories with Brawl by vs. my friends, and going to a couple of local tournaments, and I also did have fun playing Wii Sports, but that's about as much as I did. Had the Wii been around when I was a young lad, I could give more of a fair analysis of it.

I am glad that the Wii did very well in system sales and gave people a lot of hours of fun. I'm hoping the WiiU does the same, but just like the Wii, I likely won't have much time for it either, in fact probabaly even less; therefore there is a very good chance I'm not going to purchase one.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I disagree with that notion.

There are only really small handful of games that are dark without it being obnoxious and forced, and that is sort of what makes it a mature experience, the way it's all subtext and not forced down your throat. The premise in itself is very dark but even that isn't made a meal of.

Honestly I can't think of many maturely structured games, especially in recent years where the big budget low class Hollywood style has infiltrated games.

People complain about Uwe Boll making movies out of games, but most games have plots and characters worthy of Uwe Boll and not say Stanley Kubrick.

I disagree I think it was very forced. What also cheapened it for me is that a lot of plot points, and the general concept of "atmosphere and culture over dungeons" that the game has is a result of them having to finish the game within a year and thus having to cut corners. Text and art takes less time to make than dungeons and the like.

I think the moon was a cool concept, but a lot of the dark, mature content just felt like it was dark and mature for the sake of it to be honest.

I don't think the premise is that dark either. The moon coming down in three days is about as dark as any other plot to destory the world. It's the kinda thing Bowser or Eggman would do too. The darkness comes from the way the characters to react to this. Instead of doing the generic "omg save us hero!" they're reflective and acknowledge that is the end. Alot of the darkness also comes from the art, which is cool, but doesn't really have anything to do with Skull Kid or the plot.

I think it stands out amongst Nintendo games, but I think when you compare it to the rest of the gaming universe it's not a particularly dark or artistic game.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I disagree I think it was very forced. What also cheapened it for me is that a lot of plot points, and the general concept of "atmosphere and culture over dungeons" that the game has is a result of them having to finish the game within a year and thus having to cut corners. Text and art takes less time to make than dungeons and the like.

I think the moon was a cool concept, but a lot of the dark, mature content just felt like it was dark and mature for the sake of it to be honest.

I don't think the premise is that dark either. The moon coming down in three days is about as dark as any other plot to destory the world. It's the kinda thing Bowser or Eggman would do too. The darkness comes from the way the characters to react to this. Instead of doing the generic "omg save us hero!" they're reflective and acknowledge that is the end. Alot of the darkness also comes from the art, which is cool, but doesn't really have anything to do with Skull Kid or the plot.

I think it stands out amongst Nintendo games, but I think when you compare it to the rest of the gaming universe it's not a particularly dark or artistic game.
Coming up with novel ideas under pressure doesn't make the art any less sound.

The rest doesn't even need a response, since if those are the impressions you took from it then you will never go back on them, so it would be a complete waste of time.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I don't think the premise is that dark either. The moon coming down in three days is about as dark as any other plot to destory the world. It's the kinda thing Bowser or Eggman would do too.
This thing is creepy as ****.

Very uniquely disturbing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This thing is creepy as ****.

Very uniquely disturbing.
But it's the art style of the moon that's disturbing, not that actual concept of the moon itself being a weapon. To be honest I was never creeped out by the moon at all as kid. I was legitimately scared of redeads and gibdos though, but that's because I had nightmare about them killing my family. Couldn't play a Zelda game for like 2 years after that.

Anyway, I still think it's an iconic game (I prefer to avoid using subjective terms such as 'great' objectively).

I have to say though, MM was one of the games were Nintendo did put in heaps of stuff that fans actually wanted. So much cool stuff that you want in a Zelda game is in that game.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
But it's the art style of the moon that's disturbing, not that actual concept of the moon itself being a weapon.
How can you deny how cool that is? That's Death Star-level originality.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How can you deny how cool that is? That's Death Star-level originality.
I said the moon was cool, I think that and the three day system are the most innovative parts of the game. I just don't think that game is really as dark/mature and unique as most people seem to think it is.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
You have to consider the methods through which they conveyed these thoughts and feelings of darkness and despair. They did it through a game for children. For children. They managed to achieve what they did, with an E for everyone tag. You don't see what the characters are feeling, they aren't sitting there saying "I feel X emotion!" They talk to you like a person, and you simply feel what they're feeling. It's subtle. It's like Nightmare Before Christmas kind of dark. Few people outside of Tim Burton are any good at that. It's not a coincidence that most of Tim Burton's movies are fairly iconic as well.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You have to consider the methods through which they conveyed these thoughts and feelings of darkness and despair. They did it through a game for children. For children. They managed to achieve what they did, with an E for everyone tag. You don't see what the characters are feeling, they aren't sitting there saying "I feel X emotion!" They talk to you like a person, and you simply feel what they're feeling. It's subtle. It's like Nightmare Before Christmas kind of dark. Few people outside of Tim Burton are any good at that. It's not a coincidence that most of Tim Burton's movies are fairly iconic as well.
I respect subtle darkness, and I did like the characters in MM. It's just that a lot of the art was dark for the sake of being dark. Also, I don't think there was as much meaningful symbolism in the game as people think.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'd say that MM isn't the only game of its kind though and while I never actually finished it, IMO there are better games that were deep and meaningful in the same way. The biggest example i'm thinking of here would be Beyond Good and Evil. The way it presented the world was so well done, the people didn't act as though it was the end of the world, they acted like real people would, as though there was an essence of living incorporated in to the game, people selling stuff, people at the bar, drinking, sharing stories, occasionally being bullies, the way the population had to deal with the DomZ and their forces when they attacked... and you're the only one who knows the tragic truth, the cover-up, the battle that has already been lost, the people that die or who are taken away. Very few other games have achieved such an incredible mood and tone when you play them.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I said the moon was cool, I think that and the three day system are the most innovative parts of the game. I just don't think that game is really as dark/mature and unique as most people seem to think it is.
I think you'll find most people don't find it dark/mature/unique at all. This is why there is a bell curve.

This is why Call of Duty is widely regarded as realistic and gritty.

It's also why pickles taste great.

Edit: You're not meant to be scared of the moon, the moon is crying.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think you'll find most people don't find it dark/mature/unique at all. This is why there is a bell curve.

This is why Call of Duty is widely regarded as realistic and gritty.

It's also why pickles taste great.

Edit: You're not meant to be scared of the moon, the moon is crying.
(Spoilers)

The moon is definitely intended to be creepy, and it did creep a lot of people out. To be honest, I thought the inside of the moon was creepier than the outside. Did the inside with the Happy Mask-Man kids have some symbolic meaning that I didn't pick up, or was it just completely random?

On an unrelated note, I think it's a shame to see the DK franchise dying out. I think the DKCs are amazing. I didn't even play them as a kid (although I played the DKLs on Gameboy back then), I started playing them only a couple months ago so I don't have nostalgia goggles on.

I think that's a sign of an iconic game, when a game on an outdated system can get fans without nostalgia. I like the DKCs more than the new Mario sidescrollers personally.

DKCR was decent, but they screwed up so much obvious stuff. Does anything else think the DK franchise needs to be revived?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ah I grew up with DKC so it's always been incredible to me, though I know i'm not the only one who thinks so: Most everyone thinks DKC were good games.

I think the only real issue with DKCR that I had was that it lacked the Kremlin Krew and their leader(/s, depending on how much of a fanboy/how technical/how OCD you are). Otherwise it was a really fun, challenging game that truly did take me back to the old games.

I mean, honestly, i remember reading a magazine that criticized it for being too hard. I mean, honestly? x.x A time where everyone thinks games are becoming too easy and you criticize DKCR for being TOO HARD? I got so annoyed over that.

Unfortunately i'd played and memorized DKC way too much for DKCR to prove a huge challenge when it came to secrets. I just... knew, where everything was. However, at the same time I have to say, I liked that aspect of it. It means the son is like the father and has good intuition when it comes to hiding stuff. A casual player/one who's never played a DKC before would have found many of those secrets way harder to uncover IMO.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Not including kremlins was incredibly stupid though, particularly when you're calling it a Country game. They would've known fans wanted kremlins, I don't understand what could've been gained by leaving them out.

The controls were also terrible, and what was even more stupid was that you couldn't use a classic controller. The majority of the difficulty comes from crap controls.

I also don't understand why DK and Diddy weren't separate like the old game. Even in co op, Diddy is better in every way to DK. At least give DK some traits that Diddy doesn't have to balance it out like in the old games.

These things were so obvious yet they weren't implemented. This is what I mean about modern Nintendo and their outsourcees just being stupid.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
DK64 was the best platformer on N64 but sadly Nintendo had to go and sell Rareware who were then turned to faeces by Microsoft.

Edit: Also creepy/disturbing is not the same as scary.

joY

Pot splitter
The controls were also terrible, and what was even more stupid was that you couldn't use a classic controller. The majority of the difficulty comes from crap controls.
This is the number 1 reason why I didn't purchase the game. I'd rather just play it at a friend's house. I felt there was a sort-of unnecessary learning curve just to get back to the level of speed I was accustomed to running in the originals.

Perhaps I didn't give the game enough time. I don't know.

Top Bottom