• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Aura Sphere B-Reversals

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
I was messing with Lucarios B-Reversals and managed to B-Reversal a Reverse AS and FP XD.
Im sorry if this has already been found, but i think it can be useful in some situations and mindgames.

The difference between this and a regular B-Reversal is you stay facing the same way, giving you more options.

Anyone got any ideas for where in Lucario's game in could be applied?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZksMgJmhkA

Enjoy :)

How To Do:

Reverse Aura Sphere B-Reversal:
jump so you have horrizantal momentum, then tap the opposite direction, press B and immidiatly press the direction your momentum was going to perform the B-Reversal AS.

Reverse Force Palm B-Reversal:
Jump so you have horrizontal momentum, press the opposite direction the same time as B and instantly tap the direction your momentum was going to perform the B-Reversal FP.

Cheers, XD

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Actually, you answered a question I was going to ask Trela. Good info on the Reverse ASC b-reversal, now I got all of it down to possibly write up a guide on it (although it seems a tad flashy lol). I had the zig-zag variation down, but I wanted to know about the reverse.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
The good thing about this way of doing the BROVERSAL ;) is you dont need to change your C-stick to Special.

Anyone got any ideas of where it could be applied? other then whats in my vid. XD

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Well, its still in process But, I've been trying to see if you can use Broversal to fake an approach more often then not at all.

It's general knowledge that The AS charge animation is much like shield + actual shielding and firing the AS.

The other two being Grab and Roll.

Basically, approach going right, Broversal left, land and dodge (the roll) left with a semi-charged AS fully fire-able. (directions can be changed)
Fun stuff right?

And im sure there are lucario's that already do this. So don't hate D:
-t2

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I've started using it more, mostly for mindgames and such. I'll see how it works out this weekend. :)

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
The good thing about this way of doing the BROVERSAL ;) is you dont need to change your C-stick to Special.

Anyone got any ideas of where it could be applied? other then whats in my vid. XD
U fair, the opponent short hops air dodges through you, you b reverse and charge AS on top of them, opponent DIs in front and you get a medium or full charged AS on them.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I do it on characters who don't have a projectile more often than those that do, because it messes it up if you get hit and you lose a lot of momentum.
BROVERSAL!?! is useful in the sense that if you've got a handle on ALL of the possible movements, it adds a layer of uncertainty and unpredictability to AS and approaching. The most basic of uses is that it usually baits a counterattack in the air when you fair -> reverse ASC, which usually means more time to charge AS than if you were to wait until you get them away. It also is just plain good mindgames in terms of flanking around them. I'd have to see, but I'm also sure that the movement essentially maintains your last state of momentum in the air (except for the direction), which explains why it seems to move so fast. Trela (and patg) have used this pretty well. I might write up a guide on the it, as soon as Trela gets back to me on a few questions.

Zucco

Smash Master
This is pretty interesting I guess, though to be honest I was doing something similar to this not too long ago. I would Run, RAR then B reversal to get a nice bounce in the opposite way and still face my opponent, the only difference here is that you can do it anytime while in the air instead of having to run, but the bounce back seems smaller this way(though I might just not be doing it fast enough). I'll probably add this somewhere into my playstyle once I get better at it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ya, I'd mainly do this way back when I didn't want to fight Kevin Klaw Bowser fair and I'd just zig in the opposite direction and be a wuss and charge my AS instead of trying to stick out a fair or try to get underneath.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Have we seriously forgotten all about Inner Fire already?

Anyways, the Aura Sphere thingy has been known, and the ForcePalm has been known, although the latter hasn't been as discussed much due to the fact that forcepalm still sucks no matter how you bounce around with it, unless you actually b-stick it for the maximum possible boost, at which point it stops being useless and becomes a "WHEE CHECK ME OUT" ubertaunt.

Anyways, if people haven't been doing this yet, the main purpose of aura sphere b-reversals is to screw with and escape juggles, similar to Snake with his grenades, except we trade explosions with the ability to airdodge.
U fair, the opponent short hops air dodges through you, you b reverse and charge AS on top of them, opponent DIs in front and you get a medium or full charged AS on them.
Who in the world uses SHAD to dodge? Just shieldgrab the fair, or nair oos, or something. I doubt even Ganon would use SHAD that way. Also, I still am 100% against the idea of using AS Charge as an offense, as you'll get 2-3% at best provided you're not faired for your silliness first. :\
I do it on characters who don't have a projectile more often than those that do, because it messes it up if you get hit and you lose a lot of momentum.
BROVERSAL!?! is useful in the sense that if you've got a handle on ALL of the possible movements, it adds a layer of uncertainty and unpredictability to AS and approaching. The most basic of uses is that it usually baits a counterattack in the air when you fair -> reverse ASC, which usually means more time to charge AS than if you were to wait until you get them away. It also is just plain good mindgames in terms of flanking around them. I'd have to see, but I'm also sure that the movement essentially maintains your last state of momentum in the air (except for the direction), which explains why it seems to move so fast. Trela (and patg) have used this pretty well. I might write up a guide on the it, as soon as Trela gets back to me on a few questions.
I'm honestly not buying that whole "counterattack in the air" idea. I can't imagine someone simply letting you get off that easy. Of the few characters who like to challenge Luc's fair, I'm pretty sure most of them are faster in the air than Luc (DK, Marth, GnW), which would probably end with them just doing their second aerial to catch you as you land, unless you performed the maneuver super early, which would leave them time to react to it anyways...

Anyways, I still think it's a great juggle-breaker, even if it'll never be as good as the original b-sticking. <<

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord

Anyways, the Aura Sphere thingy has been known, and the ForcePalm has been known, although the latter hasn't been as discussed much due to the fact that forcepalm still sucks no matter how you bounce around with it, unless you actually b-stick it for the maximum possible boost, at which point it stops being useless and becomes a "WHEE CHECK ME OUT" ubertaunt.

Anyways, if people haven't been doing this yet, the main purpose of aura sphere b-reversals is to screw with and escape juggles, similar to Snake with his grenades, except we trade explosions with the ability to airdodge.

Who in the world uses SHAD to dodge? Just shieldgrab the fair, or nair oos, or something. I doubt even Ganon would use SHAD that way. Also, I still am 100% against the idea of using AS Charge as an offense, as you'll get 2-3% at best provided you're not faired for your silliness first. :\

I'm honestly not buying that whole "counterattack in the air" idea. I can't imagine someone simply letting you get off that easy. Of the few characters who like to challenge Luc's fair, I'm pretty sure most of them are faster in the air than Luc (DK, Marth, GnW), which would probably end with them just doing their second aerial to catch you as you land, unless you performed the maneuver super early, which would leave them time to react to it anyways...

Anyways, I still think it's a great juggle-breaker, even if it'll never be as good as the original b-sticking. <<
Someone stepped on the thread. Finally! it wouldnt have that signature lucario feel without one of the seniors saying whats wrong with it. (and im not being sarcastic either.)

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace

Why is this way not as good as B-Sticking?
i am getting proper momentum reverses without the B-stick.

Anyway the point of this thread is to find ways to use it or (B-Sticking) in our game, even if its for mind games. and saying it wont work before its even tried properly in battle is the wrong way to be doing things imo.

I want to keep discussing ideas for situational uses of Broversal. i think its mainly mind games but there could be potential comboes or setups to be found.

I think this can be used to bait people into thinking your going to approach with Fair -> anything, and instead retreat with a spaced FP flame or an AS charging while facing them for a mixup.

also 1 thing that can be beneficial about using AS charge as offensive is that it refreshes our moves pretty fast. not saying that its an awsome idea but thats 1 use for it :p.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Meh, I've still seen a lot of opponents get "wtf" sphere'd because this kind of movement when fully extended can be hard to predict.
And yes I remember that video, he first called it "pseudo-sticking".
I don't like FP bouncing, it's got range, but the hitbox is just "icky", and short lived.
And I never said to use it for offense. Losing AS time for a little percent isn't my idea of fun.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Lucario ATs are fuking gay, I have to spend a week to get this **** down.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Why is this way not as good as B-Sticking?
i am getting proper momentum reverses without the B-stick.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. By "not as effective," I wasn't actually talking about how B-reversals are bad and that B-sticking was good. I literally meant that B-reversals when performed by human hands will literally never give the same tremendous boost that is obtained when one performs the technique via b-sticking. This is because of the fact that the small time you use to release the control stick or move it from one direction to the other is time taken away from actually controlling your momentum. I once found a video illustrating this very clearly by comparing Wario's nair with a tilt stick with a manual nair, but I can't find it again.

Anyway the point of this thread is to find ways to use it or (B-Sticking) in our game, even if its for mind games. and saying it wont work before its even tried properly in battle is the wrong way to be doing things imo.
Believe what you wish, I'm simply basing things off of my own logic and experience, honestly, although who knows? I could be wrong and simply visualizing it improperly, or performing it improperly.

I want to keep discussing ideas for situational uses of Broversal. i think its mainly mind games but there could be potential comboes or setups to be found.
I'm not saying that B-reversals are useless at all, actually. I'm just saying that it's primary, and possibly most efficient use would be to mess up committed juggles such as those of Marth, possibly TL, Wario maybe, etc.
I think this can be used to bait people into thinking your going to approach with Fair -> anything, and instead retreat with a spaced FP flame or an AS charging while facing them for a mixup.
Honestly, I don't use Fair much when I'm out of range of my opponent. Most of the time, if I'm fairing, they're either in the air, or they're on the ground. If they're in the air, they're most likely short hopping and have an aerial that beats out your fair, and plan to use it. In this case, it may be an interesting idea to pretend you're an idiot and challenge them with fair once or twice, then fair early once they get to kill % and perform this maneuver to a near-full or full aura sphere, allowing you to catch them as they're theoretically vulnerable, but I'm honestly unsure if most characters that you'd do this to (DK, Marth, GnW) would be able to fair or bair again in time (or shield) and beat out your aura sphere. They might. This may work once or twice against a person before they catch on to the fact that you're fairing early to provide time to set up the maneuver...

If they're on the ground, they'll probably know the obvious fair is coming (Luc has nothing else that good out of a dash other than maybe a random ForcePalm Grab), and shield the fair, leaving you open to a possible shieldgrab or nair/usmash/upB oos. If you retreat it though.... Actually, maybe this would work once or twice if you tip or barely miss a shield, then do this backwards and launch a charged sphere on them as they drop their shield. Obviously won't work on characters with stellar oos games or those who aren't afraid of your fair because they beat it somehow (lolsnakemarth), though. :<

also 1 thing that can be beneficial about using AS charge as offensive is that it refreshes our moves pretty fast. not saying that its an awsome idea but thats 1 use for it :p.
Yeah, but the problem is that if I recall correctly, combo-moves such as Aura Sphere charge, fast pummels, dair, etc. count as one move in the cheque. If I'm wrong, this is even worse. Also, Aura Sphere charge is NOTORIOUSLY easy to DI out of, making it a very unfair trade. Also, considering that the one move you probably want to abuse as much as possible is Aura Sphere in most matchups, each time it goes off in the cheque from an aura sphere charge hit, you have just completely wasted the opportunity to land 4-26%+ knockback, stopping power, and/or a kill instead. I dunno, maybe it's just me. I like being efficient and hate wasting my favorite kill move and a ton of possible % for the sake of maybe getting 1-3% off a predicted shield, and possibly being punished with a quick aerial anyways.

However, I will admit that certain matchups, Aura Sphere is used primarily for damage instead of killing, and that against certain characters with horrid oos options as well as a slow dair or linear bair, aura sphere charge on their shield may actually work. The best character for this that comes to mind is ZSS, as she has a HORRID oos game if you're close to the ground, and has literally no options out of your AS Charge due to horribly linear aerials and a very very bad dair.

AS Charge to grab might work on as mini-shield pressure as well, I guess.

Actually, as another idea, I wonder if it'd be possible to set up a true combo from a single AS charge and shieldcancel it into a nair using the reverse hitbox. If so, it'd be an interesting kill set up...

Screw it. We should turn this topic into the Aura Sphere Charge discussion topic.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Didn't they have something like this is the brainstorming thread :/ I dunno, just saying...

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
@Kitamerby: ohh yeah i see what you mean XD

I think i found a decent use for it while fighting some of our regions best players all day today :).

Pretty much when you've been hit offstage and coming back on from a diagonal direction, and theres a character good at ledge guarding standing near the edge and just outside of their spacing to hit you, instead of airdodging use the Broversal and shoot the Aura Sphere, hopefully they would have tried to attack or put themselves in a vulnerable position and get hit by the aura sphere, while you end up going around their attack and grab the ledge.

Its pretty situational but it seems pretty safe and its a mixup.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Haha. I learned that you can just press Z to grab out of Aura Sphere charge not too long ago.

I'm pro.

Too bad his grab range is the nuts, so that's completely useless.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I would not suggest it for an approach on a grounded opponent, ASC used to be okay at shield pressure, until people got smart with spacing any approach and PSing stuff, especially with the time it would take before the hitbox would actually "activate" from the uncharged state. I would suggest it for some movement purposes, however. I've finally got the hang of all the motions you can do with it, including
-zig-zag motion (Essentially wave-bounced that gains height, literally looks like a greater/less than sign in path)
-RAR'd
-wavebounce (both turnaroud and regular)
and some crossups. If I can get in contact with some people, expect a possible thread on it soon.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
I actually really like to use asc to set up grabs, but I don't do it that often.

I am having trouble getting the reverse b-reversal down to where I actually get much of a backwards momentum. I think I am holding back for too long or too soon.

I really do think this could be useful though. I guess I have to practice more.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
I actually really like to use asc to set up grabs, but I don't do it that often.

I am having trouble getting the reverse b-reversal down to where I actually get much of a backwards momentum. I think I am holding back for too long or too soon.

I really do think this could be useful though. I guess I have to practice more.
Cool. yeah if you hold back for too long you end up slowing down too much before getting the momentum reverse XD.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I don't know if you guys noticed it but when you do B-Reversal's to charge up AS, it seems to charge up like 20-25% quicker than if you charged it staying on the ground, or in the air. And that is very useful!

ckm

Smash Journeyman
That can be useful too, especially if you're hanging from the edge with a fully charged AS. If you do the shorter version one, you can shoot it out then you'll regrab the edge.
interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll try that out.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I tried this. This is really hard to do consistently with the way the OP does it. What I did was, jump forward, tap back, tap forward, press b. But it doesn't give me the momentum boost. It's like you have to B-stick with it perfectly each time.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^What D. Disciple said.
The second input is very intensive of what happens, obviously if you put too much movement, it'll mistaken it for FP, but you also need timing.
Trela, you need a thread to go with that video.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It really depends, I still don't have it done perfectly (except for my backwards and zig-zag) XP
However, I'd say if you play around with it and if you have learned the general mechanics of B-reversal (especially if you've played characters like TL, falco, snake, or lucas), you'll get it down pretty quickly.

Top Bottom