• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Hyphen Smash

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
So everyone on the luigi boards knows how to hyphen smash, but how do you reverse hyphen smash? I don't mean simply hyphen smashing in the opposite direction, but forcing yourself to make that epic slide, but backwards.

Since Luigi's Usmash has a super epic mega almost as awesome as Fsmash knockback on the sweet spot (his head right as it leaves the ground behind him) it would be super useful to be able to do this consistently and slide towards the opponent sweetspot first.

I KNOW I've done this once before, because I sat and stared at the screen trying to figure out what I did... so maybe I'm just behind the metagame and there is an easy way to do this or.... someone should figure it out?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You need tap jump on to do this right? Basically it sounds like it will require the timing of Mortar Sliding.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Uh, pretend you are doing a RAR Bair basically. I don't usually do it anymore because l mess up on tech skill and end up doing RAR full hop T.T.

basically > dash right > QUICKLY smash to left opposite direction > and input A + up since u can't really do it with C stick IIRC.

you'll feel the rythm once you know how to cancel the dash with jump button basically. lazy to explain though =/

TreK

Is "that guy"
HA !
I thought it stopped you from sliding because it does it with diddy
But it works with Luigi's weirdness
It's awesome
I'm gonna spam it <3

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Allow me to elaborate.

When you jump, there is a small lag before you leave the ground (it's 5 to 7 frames,, but I forget just how much, I think it's 5)

However, before you actually leave the ground, you can perform an upsmash. This is because the game was coded this way, in order to allow you to upsmash without jumping and Uairing by accident (although it's much harder to buffer immediate Uair's off the ground because of this obviously).

Now, in this game, you can reverse aerial rush (RAR) by canceling your turn around animation out of a dash with a jump, which will turn you around when you jump, but keep your forward momentum. This is a particularly useful technique for Mario, because of the utility his Bair has.

So you can cancel the turn around of the dash with a jump, but then you can cancel the jump with an UpSmash. The window isn't overly tight. Some people execute this by using dash, then pushing the opposite direction, and then Up and A with tap jump. Some people do it by turning off tap jump, then dashing, pushing the opposite direction, and pressing Jump, then Up and A without tap jump. I imagine some people use Z or the C stick, but I have not found this to be particularly useful.

All characters can do this, though it is obviously more useful with some than others. I find it particularly handy for breaking MK's tornado.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
So I did this.

But it doesn't go as far as a regular hyphen.

Am I doin' it wrong?
If you're still sliding, just not very far, then you need to input things faster. Just try not to lose the sliding momentum. You'll lose the sliding momentum if you take too long to pull it off, or if you're still holding the analog back before doing the smash.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Its amazing, do it. It almost replaces the fact that we have no dash attack.

It comes out quickly, hits like a truck, an moves. <3<3<3

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I was just thinking about bringing that up with you Crash. I remember seeing Slick Rick, a Fox main using it in a video and I thought "Luigi would wreck **** something ridiculous with a reverse usmash."

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I like the idea of using it as a pseudo dash attack. It usually shieldpushes the opponent (or you lol) back too far to punish that well anyway.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
grab, down throw. Dude DI's away and airdodges, catch is you're chasing him with a charging/sliding usmash. Yumm!

The reverse is so amazing for this. I've been playing around with it alot, and it seems like its better to charge it when they're in the air and might dodge, but just throw the regular smash when they're on the ground and you think they don't see it coming.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
so if you dthrow, and you know they'll di away and airdodge, i usually have hardest time with that, so you follow up with hyphen smash? o.O. why didn't l think of that lol...

l think reading their DI and waiting maybe 2 seconds after you dthrow them is really cruical.. esp if you wanna get that upsmash down..

MasterKoga

Smash Cadet
I need to clarify something, you guys AREN'T talking about just initiating backwards upsmash out of run, right? You're talking instant cancel to reverse usmash? Because if so I have a much easier time just waiting a bit and doing the running one with the 3/4 circle technique...

if you aren't talking about it I can't do it, all I do is a dashdance upsmash.

edit: I don't care if you're not talking about what I'm doing, my way works fine lol

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Not only am I not talking about instant cancel to reverse uSmash... I don't even know what that is. Yar, I just dash, pivot, jump+uSmash.

Top Bottom