• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RichBrown's Random Ideas Topic

RichBrown

Smash Master
Zori I get highly aroused everytime I see the chick in your avatar holy heck she's hot

Haha I see what you are saying Fino. People will see the action of plucking a pikmin and not know what to do, and meanwhile you do all this crap to them after the pluck. I'll try it. Only thing is I tend to have a full lineup a high majority of the time.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
that trick is very good fino. then u can do another follow up after the incomplete nair. good job

Fino

Smash Master
Zori I get highly aroused everytime I see the chick in your avatar holy heck she's hot

Haha I see what you are saying Fino. People will see the action of plucking a pikmin and not know what to do, and meanwhile you do all this crap to them after the pluck. I'll try it. Only thing is I tend to have a full lineup a high majority of the time.
I usually throw so many pikmin that my opponent is bound to kill one of them so I can pluck cancel moar :D

~Fino

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone has tried this, but it was one of my "random ideas" so I thought I'd talk about it here.

Olimars, when grabbing, kill with a purple up-throw and a blue back-throw.

I was thinking about this and wondered if it was possible to kill opponents earlier by catching them DI-ing poorly.

Meaning, grab and pummel with a blue pikmin at around lethal percent. Your opponent would DI toward the ceiling expecting the Bthrow, and then you throw them UP for a surprise kill. When doing this near the edge on FD, it didn't appear to work though. Even if they are DI'ing the bthrow perfectly, it's STILL better to bthrow than to uthrow.

According to the kill percent chart on this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185696
-the color coded one-

Blue Uthrow kills earlier than blue Bthrow from the center of FD without DI. I'm guessing that if you are playing anywhere in the center you can trick your opponent into DI'ing bad and dying to the uthrow from a blue. Thoughts?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I don't know if anyone has tried this, but it was one of my "random ideas" so I thought I'd talk about it here.

Olimars, when grabbing, kill with a purple up-throw and a blue back-throw.

I was thinking about this and wondered if it was possible to kill opponents earlier by catching them DI-ing poorly.

Meaning, grab and pummel with a blue pikmin at around lethal percent. Your opponent would DI toward the ceiling expecting the Bthrow, and then you throw them UP for a surprise kill. When doing this near the edge on FD, it didn't appear to work though. Even if they are DI'ing the bthrow perfectly, it's STILL better to bthrow than to uthrow.

According to the kill percent chart on this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185696
-the color coded one-

Blue Uthrow kills earlier than blue Bthrow from the center of FD without DI. I'm guessing that if you are playing anywhere in the center you can trick your opponent into DI'ing bad and dying to the uthrow from a blue. Thoughts?
SSSSHHHHHH, don't give away my secret :(

Zori

Smash Champion
WTF alpha don't give them info just collect all this info an sexually wisper them in my ear at hobos :@

RichBrown

Smash Master
It's not a bad idea actually. That's interesting that blue Uthrow kills earlier than the Bthrow, I had no idea.

Speaking of which, you Olimars need to stop wasting your kill throws. Super diminished Dthrow is the sheeeeeit because it's easier to lead into combos, plus you save all your KO throws.

Fino

Smash Master
It's not a bad idea actually. That's interesting that blue Uthrow kills earlier than the Bthrow, I had no idea.

Speaking of which, you Olimars need to stop wasting your kill throws. Super diminished Dthrow is the sheeeeeit because it's easier to lead into combos, plus you save all your KO throws.
From the middle of FD he said. That's like saying olimar's purple usmash kills earlier than a reverse warlock punch on the top part of 1-2 on mushroomy kingdom. Whoa, supa broken amirite?

The blast zones are VAAAAAASTLY different.
Olimar's throws kill a good 40-50 (if not more) percent later than his purple usmash.... why are we worried about staling out kill throw O.o? I'd rather rack damage. I mean.... olimar's purple usmash can kill AT ~50% (before contact) on some chars on certain stages.... wtf are you guys thinking? That's like just flat out giving them an extra stock!

~Fino

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
If I happen to land a grab at the center of FD with a blue pikmin at high %, then I'm going to do a Uthrow since people probably expect the bthrow. It's no secret that Purple Usmash is a much earlier killing option, but sometimes you don't get to use your best killing option.

I'm not saying, try to kill with blue throws only. I'm saying, in the right places, killing with blue Uthrow is BETTER than blue Bthrow, and most olimar opponents will be expecting the blue backthrow, making Uthrow better.

But on a different note, I get the feeling that not many of you kill with throws at all?
Is this just an upsmashing sort of group here? XD

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
The pocket seems to be less of a problem now. Thanks.

lol btw i thought everybody knew to grab diddy once he throws-dash @.@?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't see how someone could DI the upthrow wrong. You can actually see yourself go up, then down, and then fly up. People with even poor reaction time will DI it correctly if they know how. Bthrow and fthrow are different though, because they're rather quick.

And yes, upsmash is a better kill move.

Noa.

Smash Master
It's not good to rely on throws to kill, obviously. But I still don't use my kill throws unless I plan on killing them, or at least sending the very far offstage. Bthrow/uthrow do more damage than dthrow, but I like to keep them fresh just in case I ever need to use them.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
In every case, people anticipate the B throw and DI appropriately, however when they see u going for U throw, like it has been said, they will have enough time to react.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Little thing, I'm not sure if anyone else actually uses this at all.

Let go of edge, immediately tether, drift forward.

Back, up+b, forward.

Quickly hogs the edge, and you end up on the stage. It has less invincibility frames than actually normally getting on the stage, but it's also quicker.

I guess it could be useful sometimes.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've never really thought of it as a good idea to "look" for KOs. I just take what my opponent gives me. I occasionally will encounter a fox player (any fox player) and when they get me to around 90ish, they start running up to me and Usmashing, since it's their most reliable kill move. But it's soooo easy to see coming, so I wait in my shield, then shield grab it.

Interestingly enough we play a character that relies on Usmashes for kills. Don't get me wrong, I go for purple Usmash kills all the time (and have been getting very good at landing it haha) but what if you play someone that likes to hide in their shield a lot? It'd be a good idea to continue camping them a lot, that way throws become another KO option. And the more KO options you have, the easier it is to get the KO. That's why I save my KO throws.

Totally unrelated: Dthrow-whitepikminlatch *****. There are a few variations of this. If you have a purple next you can sh white-purple toss and get another grab or whatever you can think of. You can standing white pikmin latch and then regrab too. You should only do this occasionally though, after you've conditioned your opponent to getting dthrown-usmashed/faired at 0%. I was getting people a lot with this, because I'd get that coveted 0% grab, but it'd be with a blue and a white next, so I said "eff it" and just threw the white, and it worked.

Noa.

Smash Master
I myself throw whites after dthrows.

My most common options out of dthrow are fair if they don't airdodge or regrab if they do airdodge.

Random thing. What are good punishing moves for Oli? I like to use dsmash to punish opponents when I read them or they hit my shield unsafely.

Fino

Smash Master
fair combos into white pikmin toss from dthrow... additionally, yellow pikmin toss combos into fair from dthrow... wait what?

dthrow, toss yellow pikmin, fair *fair sends them into yellow pikmin* of course, this is old as rocks.... I still think it's funny. It's a good way to continue using dthrow fair, tossing pikmin assumes your opponent aerial dodges after dthrow, and the fair will catch them at the end of it

Side note: almost every single attack combos into white pikmin toss in some shape or form

~Fino

RichBrown

Smash Master
^lol that's ****

Is it just me or do a lot of you guys play similar and use many of the same effective combos and I'm the only one that doesn't use them? Cuz I feel that way haha

Nice point Fino, I've never really thought of white pikmin that way. I guess I'll start throwing them immediately after attacking someone (should the attack land of course)

I have a feeling that Olimar's metagame is about to get extremely innovative because we are all collectively realizing how many different possibilities there are with an endless number of lineup combinations.

And yeah I love it when I throw a yellow and then hit them into it. I've never done it on purpose, but I always laugh when it happens, and my opponent asks me why I'm laughing, and I explain that I hit them into the yellow, and they just roll their eyes.

Oh and I finally had a good placing yesterday for the first time in nearly 6 weeks, 3rd out of 22 or so yay. I'm playing better now, I was just really, really smashed out, the game is fresh to me again.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that Olimar's metagame is about to get extremely innovative because we are all collectively realizing how many different possibilities there are with an endless number of lineup combinations.

...the game is fresh to me again.
Gotta love that. <3 I asked my friend in Dallas who some good Olimars were, and you were one that he named. Naturally I was bummed when I heard you were smashed out.

Also, I tried Dthrow >> white pikmin toss.

...I came.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Haha... I think it's just because I really had no idea there were soooooo many little nuances to Olimar... We've been trying to come up with something groundbreaking for a very long time, when meanwhile all we had to do was share little things like this

Oh also

For spacing purposes I've been doing sh pikmin throw-ffairdodge-repeat. I don't know what it is about this but I think the repetitive sound of "PHEW!*woosh*" can get to an opponent haha. I feel like I have much more mobility and more options only throwing 1 pikmin, and it changes up the rhythm, which is nice.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Hey guys I came up with something earlier in the week

Your lineup needs to be Blue-White-Purple-Red/Yellow/Blue

at 0%, grab, and then SH pikmin throw the white, but jump past them and then throw the purple at them after you've jumped past them, then regrab. You can usually Dthrow-fair or anything else before the white latch damage really starts to set it. Because it's hard to set up lineup wise, this is something that's good for a 2nd or 3rd stock when you either wanna try to bring it back or you feel like you really wanna put your opponent away and shut the door on any momentum they might be gaining.

Llumys

Smash Champion
That's interesting, actually. I've used the normal toss into reverse purple toss to punish rolls and whatnot, but never to grab combo.

Anyway, I've got a little useless thing to mention. We all know that if you imput a pluck while you're running or sliding off an edge, Olimar will pluck a Pikmin without having to the animation, and the Pikmin won't make a sound. In case no one knows, you can run toward the edge, but stop running so that your end animation for your run will put you at the edge, then buffer a pluck. I don't think the buffer is actually necessary, but it makes it easier. You'll have the silent pluck, or whatever it's called. I'd also like to add that if you do the silent pluck while having 6 Pikmin, Olimar won't do the bad animation. Instead, nothing will happen.

I've also mentioned to people a nice tether trick, which I think could be useful. Let go of the edge by pressing back, immediately tether, and hold forward. You'll pop onto the stage quicker than actually getting up onto the stage. You don't get the invincibility frames, but it's good for punishing recoveries and returning to the stage. This is just one of the tether tricks I've been playing with lately.

And I haven't mentioned this much, but DACUS is great for picking up items.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
So Rich, have you discovered anything against Sonic yet?

/I kid, I kid. ;)

We need to friendly more and I want you to gay me as hard as possible. I want to legit. learn the matchup for Snake. <_<

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I've never really thought of it as a good idea to "look" for KOs. I just take what my opponent gives me. I occasionally will encounter a fox player (any fox player) and when they get me to around 90ish, they start running up to me and Usmashing, since it's their most reliable kill move. But it's soooo easy to see coming, so I wait in my shield, then shield grab it.

Interestingly enough we play a character that relies on Usmashes for kills. Don't get me wrong, I go for purple Usmash kills all the time (and have been getting very good at landing it haha) but what if you play someone that likes to hide in their shield a lot? It'd be a good idea to continue camping them a lot, that way throws become another KO option. And the more KO options you have, the easier it is to get the KO. That's why I save my KO throws.

Totally unrelated: Dthrow-whitepikminlatch *****. There are a few variations of this. If you have a purple next you can sh white-purple toss and get another grab or whatever you can think of. You can standing white pikmin latch and then regrab too. You should only do this occasionally though, after you've conditioned your opponent to getting dthrown-usmashed/faired at 0%. I was getting people a lot with this, because I'd get that coveted 0% grab, but it'd be with a blue and a white next, so I said "eff it" and just threw the white, and it worked.

wow you guys all just mentioned like 4 major parts of my play style

uthrow with blue kills early, and yes it is EXTREMELY effective. no one expects it, and i even get some comments like "wow was that just a uthrow?" a lot of people except f/bthrow so they di up to stop their horizontal momentum, in which the uthrow kills earlier. It also kills at ~150% non-snake regardless, and is very effective. getting 150% on them is easy if you camp

dthrow white latch into a follow up is so good. A lot of people air dodge into the ground after you jump so you latch, they air dodge, you fast fall regrab WITH A WHITE PIKMIN ON THEM. I got a really good pit with that and in 4 seconds he was at 90% because of dthrow white latch. I also like the follow up mentioned here.

i never go for usmash kills unless i see the option or they are really high %. Most of my playstyle is grab combos, and grab ko's. I love to kill with uthrow because i never use it, so it allows me to combo with grabs, and stil have a decently reliable kill grab. Usmash kills are nice, but it's not bad waiting another 50% especially as olimar to go in and get it. My average kill on the enemy is ~170 or higher, unless i get a mind games kill

your lineup combo seems nice, i never through to go past and reverse pthrow into a grab...that sounds beast mode.

And yes, i lawl at the sight of me fairing into my yellows, yet i have a silent laugh so no one notices...it's too good, ****ing olimar is a sex machine

lastly, if we are mentioning small things....if you are edge guarding like a falco or fox or something, and you have a purple next and you grab the edge, jump off the edge, reverse purp throw their recovery. It also works if you drop below the stage, jump reverse purple and tether recovery, good mix up.

^^^^^^^^to go with this awesomeness, you can also do this with a white pikmin if you know you have to let them recover so you don't get yourself killed, get a bit of extra % in there, drop off ledge, reverse white, recover

Fino

Smash Master
i never go for usmash kills unless i see the option or they are really high %. Most of my playstyle is grab combos, and grab ko's. I love to kill with uthrow because i never use it, so it allows me to combo with grabs, and stil have a decently reliable kill grab. Usmash kills are nice, but it's not bad waiting another 50% especially as olimar to go in and get it. My average kill on the enemy is ~170 or higher, unless i get a mind games kill
*cries*
usmash kills are the best. My average kill on the enemy is ~70%...

~Fino

IcyLight

Smash Lord

*cries*

~Fino
doesn't matter fino. this is what matters

what is YOUR average % when you kill them?

i'm at about 30% or less, and if they are really good 80% or less, or i lose my stock before them

it's the aggressive vs. defensive battle. you kill faster, we kill slower, but we both get the job done.

*******small info*********
there is no such thing as small info, if you have anything small that could be amazing, such as dthrow white toss, please share your information with the olimar boards so we can review and respond

edit: i have long posts, get *****

Denti

Smash Master
NICE DIDDY TIPS lol i'll keep it in mind
my diddy game consist of fashionable risky gimping hahaha, if i remember right it's like fire and yellow Dair then beats his up special recovery, and i like totaly abuse/mind game my recover/teatherto like grab the ledge and like pull back without retracting to the ledge and releasing then spiking, tell you it's the last thing diddys expect an olimar main to do hahaha, in my head if i get 1 gimp or spike i've won that round if i play sfae/smart from there on out, it's best first match on a neutral cuz then comes 3rd round and i CP luigi's mansion and like OLiRAPE haha

and I've always noticed that 45 degree angle too just never like continuously wathced it, a very very useful tip, i'm egar to try it out!

my kill percentages are like 50% upsmash, 25% throw, 10 spikes (thats right i go for the s*** lol) and like 15% fire Fair hahaha

speaking of white pikmin what i enjoy doing but is situational is at 0% you can toss 2 white pikmin real fast like and have them both latch, if you have the spacing and timing grab them with your next pikmin (hopfully not a purple cuz that grab range isn't reliable but it's okay) then grab them and hit attack as you grab them to hit them for like 2-3%? idk? the important thing is to keep them grabbed as long as possible but the damage hit depends on the pikmin you grabbed with but point being is i'd do that imidiently then Up throw, why up throw? up throw does 2% more damage than Down throw (it deiffers depending on pikmin you grabbed with) and the animation is slightly longer than down throw so the white pikmin have more time for ****** :D since you up throw as well they are higher in the air than down throw so you can rotate your pikmin to your likings because they are around 90-100% damage... it's so fast it's ultra **** lol

Dyyne

Smash Ace

*cries*

~Fino
Actually Fino.
In your most recent vids from 2 weeks ago:
Average kill % against diddy was ~140% (watched 2 rounds)
mk was~140% (watched 2 rounds)
snake was ~150% (watched 3 rounds)

Unless you meant specifically usmash kills, which I wasn't paying as much attention to. They were still above 100% by a decent amount.
(I don't know why I just did that lmfao)

Top Bottom