• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

U.N. Aua was her?

Smash Rookie
Frankly, it's not only the Freeze, which contains Evilness, Riivolution doesn't replace the files.
Although you gave me the files, which works on your Wii and Riivolution. =/
But you know that already. ^^

Hellow @ all. =D

Well, now I got FW 4.2 on my Wii, with the hopefull thought, that it works now...
But it doesn't.
Even if I just enable the File Code Replacement (Germany), the textures aren't in SSBB then.
Yes, my Wii is from Germany. ^^ And if I enable one of the Ocarina Handler Hooks, it freezes.
Does anyone know an answer? <.<

I would be grateful. x3 Or something.. idk.
And please, don't ignore me or the problem, I want to use all the nice hacks, too... >.<
It can't be, that no one knows an answer or solution.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
I know that, but where do I download it and how do I name it?
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmzjmnhxxuh

Name it smashbros_sound.brsar and put it in sound.

And please, don't ignore me or the problem, I want to use all the nice hacks, too... >.<
It can't be, that no one knows an answer or solution.
Uh... I don't really know if this is the problem, but you shouldn't have the FPC in your Riivolution XML...

Maybe you have some NTSC codes in your codes and that's why Ocarina Handler Hooks freeze the game?

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
I don't use smashmods, just regular Riivolution. My SD-Card is set up like this:

Root:
- apps
- codes
- private
- riivolution
- ssbb

HELP!

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
There's really only one Riivolution, it's the XML that's different.

If it's styled like the FPC, it should be something like private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\sound\smashbros_sound.brsar.

However, if you're going to be using this, remember that the moveset PACs will have different sound IDs. Just like how PAL Wiis running NTSC movesets will have no sound, Japanese SFX and NTSC movesets will be quiet, also.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
It's not styled like the FPC, and I have no clue where to put the smashbros_sound.brsar

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
Where do you put your other files?

Which XML are you using?

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I tried the smashbros_sound.brsar file that was posted earlier. There is no voices, nor musics. All I hear are the SFX sounds (like from the menu). Is there a XML code I should put to make it work ?

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
I put most of my files in the ssbb folder. I'm just using the standard XML file I got when I downloaded my Riivolution pack, and sadly I don't remember where.

∫unk

Smash Master
Would you mind explaining what's you've modified in the common5.pac?
It'd help greatly
I honestly don't know my friend did it. If someone could re-do it that'd be amazing (I'm actually a huge newb in disguise)

Would it help if I mentioned that you have to include the _en part for common5.pac; name it common5_en.pac.

Riivolution requires certain files to have _en in their file names, or else they won't be read. This includes Pokemon Trainer's Final Smash, Captain Falcon's red outfit, and any files that contain English language contents. Look at the Brawl ISO contents (available via the link below) to know which files end with _en.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bf68243dc4c908b28d78a0e5552916095d6170349cac00195be6ba49b5870170
I don't know if this is the problem but it's annoying if I hit start too fast after a game (pretty much before the 'results screen music' loads after i win) the game will freeze. Maybe it's from trying to load the music and hitting start and making it load the super-custom css?

Could you explain to me how you get the Japanese voices? I want that too. :p
Use riivolution and a sound file in the sound folder. Maybe something in the common5.pac I don't know.

Edit: oh nvm everyone helped you.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
For anyone who cares, PAL sfx are all in one brsar and the corresponding sfx are chosen based on the country it is told you're in. So, if you aren't able to force a language/region with riivolution, you're SoL.

U.N. Aua was her?

Smash Rookie
Uh... I don't really know if this is the problem, but you shouldn't have the FPC in your Riivolution XML...

Maybe you have some NTSC codes in your codes and that's why Ocarina Handler Hooks freeze the game?
Mh, but the xml file is right...
And there aren't NTSC codes in my gct... It shouldn't. It isn't. ^^

bigman40

Smash Master
Is there some sort of naming I need for my stages? I placed them in the correct folder, but my textures never show. Also, is Riivolution able to handle the alternate stage loader code?

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
i got some problems with riivolution atm... I did everything:

- riivolution folder on root
- config folder in riivolution
- RSBP.XML in config folder
- RSBP01 in codes folder
- riivolution folder in apps
- ssbb folder on root

Can't get my textures to work or either my codes...

When I launch riivolution there is only one thing displayed "/ssbbreplacement"

Does any notice something wrong / could help me out?
Would be really helpfull!

Thanks.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
i got some problems with riivolution atm... I did everything:

- riivolution folder on root
- config folder in riivolution
- RSBP.XML in config folder
- RSBP01 in codes folder
- riivolution folder in apps
- ssbb folder on root

Can't get my textures to work or either my codes...

When I launch riivolution there is only one thing displayed "/ssbbreplacement"

Does any notice something wrong / could help me out?
Would be really helpfull!

Thanks.
You should be able to put your textures in ssbb folder as long as you name them right (e.g., FitLucas01.pac) without having to use folders. And if you do use folders in ssbb you should confirm that it's the same path on disc (i.e., SD:/ssbb/fighter/lucas/FitLucas01.pac). Be sure that whatever option you see in /ssbbreplacement is enabled.

For your codes to work, you will need an XML that will allow you to use gct files. You can find the download link near the top of this page.

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
You should be able to put your textures in ssbb folder as long as you name them right (e.g., FitLucas01.pac) without having to use folders. And if you do use folders in ssbb you should confirm that it's the same path on disc (i.e., SD:/ssbb/fighter/lucas/FitLucas01.pac). Be sure that whatever option you see in /ssbbreplacement is enabled.

For your codes to work, you will need an XML that will allow you to use gct files. You can find the download link near the top of this page.
thanks for the reply. but where do i put this XML file then?

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Re quoting cause it's rather important for me.
Code:
Battle Field		STGBATTLEFIELD.PAC
Yoshi's Island		STGCRAYON.PAC
Delphino Plaza		STGDOLPIC.PAC
75m			STGDONKEY.PAC
Big Blue (Melee)	STGDXBIGBLUE.PAC
Corneria (Melee)	STGDXCORNERIA.PAC
Jungle Japes (Melee)	STGDXGARDEN.PAC
Green Greens (Melee)	STGDXGREENS.PAC
Onett (Melee)		STGDXONETT.PAC
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)	STGDXPSTADIUM.PAC
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)	STGDXRCRUISE.PAC
Temple (Melee)		STGDXSHRINE.PAC
Yoshi's Island (Melee)	STGDXYORSTER.PAC
Brinstar (Melee)	STGDXZEBES.PAC
Distant Planet		STGEARTH.PAC
Mario Bros.		STGFAMICOM.PAC
Final Destination	STGFINAL.PAC
Port Town Aero Dive	STGFZERO.PAC
Green Hill		STGGREENHILL.PAC
Flat Zone 2		STGGW.PAC
Halberd			STGHALBERD.PAC
Summit			STGICE.PAC
Rumble Falls		STGJUNGLE.PAC
Mario Circuit		STGKART.PAC
Warioware, Inc.		STGMADEIN.PAC
Luigi's Mansion		STGMANSION.PAC
Mushroomy Kingdom 1	STGMARIOPAST_00.PAC
Mushroomy Kingdom 2	STGMARIOPAST_01.PAC
Shadow Moses Isle (Rex)	STGMETALGEAR_00.PAC
Shadow Moses Isle (Ray)	STGMETALGEAR_01.PAC
Shadow Moses (Gecko)	STGMETALGEAR_02.PAC
New Pork City		STGNEWPORK.PAC
Norfair			STGNORFAIR.PAC
Bridge of Eldin		STGOLDIN.PAC
Frigate Orpheon		STGORPHEON.PAC
Skyworld		STGPALUTENA.PAC
Pictochat		STGPICTCHAT_en.PAC
Pirate Ship		STGPIRATES.PAC
Hanenbow		STGPLANKTON.PAC
Pokemon Stadium 2	STGSTADIUM.PAC
Spear Pillar (Dialga)	STGTENGAN_1.PAC
Spear Pillar (Palkia)	STGTENGAN_2.PAC
Spear Pillar (Cresselia)STGTENGAN_3.PAC
There you go :)

gg132

Smash Rookie
Just a quick question. Is it STILL not possible to hack a Wii with the System Menu 4.3.e(Without the Indiana thing)? I really need help. I just wanna use some of the hacks that I orignally had on my SD Card. I still have Riivolution on my Wii but it will only come up with a scene that says i need to downgrade something and even when i press a to do so nothing happens. Someone please help me out.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
thanks but:

won't work... textures do work but codes don't :<
in, SD/riivolution/ i have: config,ssbbfiles.xml and ssbbtemplate.xml
and in config i have: RSBP.xml
and in codes: RSBP01.GCT

any idea?
Did you not download the ocarina XML on the page I linked you to?

Just a quick question. Is it STILL not possible to hack a Wii with the System Menu 4.3.e(Without the Indiana thing)? I really need help. I just wanna use some of the hacks that I orignally had on my SD Card. I still have Riivolution on my Wii but it will only come up with a scene that says i need to downgrade something and even when i press a to do so nothing happens. Someone please help me out.
Try reinstalling the latest Riivolution, and if that doesn't work figure it out yourself.

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
Did you not download the ocarina XML on the page I linked you to?

Try reinstalling the latest Riivolution, and if that doesn't work figure it out yourself.
Thanks alot for helping me out, I got it working with ocarina!

Is it also possible to use my previous CSP's? if it's is, where do I have to place them and the names should be the same like: ike6_big / ike6_small etc.?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Yeah for some strange reason, while sc_selcharacter.pac overpowers common5.pac with Gecko OS, it's the other way around with Riivolution..
It can also be of some importance to note that the file patch code didn't "overpower" common5.pac with sc_selcharacter.pac. The game actually creates a file called sc_selcharacter.pac on the Wii for Brawl to use so it doesn't have to stream from the disc. When you replace common5_en.pac in Riivolution, whatever sc_selcharacter_en.pac you have in it will be created on the Wii as sc_selcharacter.pac which does mean that once it's been loaded from the SD/USB it will never look a the SD/USB for common5_en.pac again.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Here is how it works.
The File Replacement Code causes the game to fall back onto the files outside the common .pacs after it fails to find them on SD. If you want to null out the commons because you are using a mod that replaces all the common.pac's (cough only projectm) then you can for MOST of the commons.

This change will REMOVE the now loading screen, for the most part.
However, it affects Zelda/Shiek/PT transform times.

But yeah, don't spread around things like " The game actually creates a file called sc_selcharacter.pac on the Wii for Brawl to use so it doesn't have to stream from the disc." That isn't true, and anyone who has spent time with the FPC code and the css knows that the game loads that .pac every single time if the FPC is on. The FPC code makes the game pretty much ignore the commons, as the game will try to load from SD, then fallback onto the disc, even if the resource is already loaded because of the common pac.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
Wrong wrong wrong.

Here is how it works.
The File Replacement Code causes the game to fall back onto the files outside the common .pacs after it fails to find them on SD. If you want to null out the commons because you are using a mod that replaces all the common.pac's (cough only projectm) then you can for MOST of the commons.

This change will REMOVE the now loading screen, for the most part.
However, it affects Zelda/Shiek/PT transform times.

But yeah, don't spread around things like " The game actually creates a file called sc_selcharacter.pac on the Wii for Brawl to use so it doesn't have to stream from the disc." That isn't true, and anyone who has spent time with the FPC code and the css knows that the game loads that .pac every single time if the FPC is on. The FPC code makes the game pretty much ignore the commons, as the game will try to load from SD, then fallback onto the disc, even if the resource is already loaded because of the common pac.
Sorry about that, and thanks for clearing that up.

What I was trying to get at is that the game loads "sc_selcharacter.pac" into the Wii's memory even though this file doesn't exist on-disc and also to get people to understand that the real names of the files are different. My choice in *******izing the words in this situation probably wasn't a very wise one for clarity, I'll admit.

Here's what actually happened to me anyway. No stupefying of statements this time. The scope of everything I did was kept within the loading of the menus. Maybe you could explain these yourself. Please note that in every heading any "removing" action taken is removing the file from the SD card before loading the game. Any use of removing files after the headings is removing the files on the SD card after Riivolution has identified them. Modifying will refer to making Riivolution load a file from the SD card and altering will refer to making changes to the file after it has been loaded through Riivolution.

Removing only common5_en.pac from disc:
File "common5.pac" failed to open. Slower load time for certain menus, namely character selection screen and stage selection screen.

Removing only sc_selcharacter_en.pac, sc_selcharacter2_en.pac or sc_selmap_en.pac from disc:
Game crashes.

Modifying only common5_en.pac on disc:
Deleting or moving archives results in "common5.pac" failed to read with no crash; no changes apparent in-game. Replacing files with modifications resulted in noticeable in-game changes. Removing or altering the file after common5.pac succefully read and loaded resulted in no noticeable in-game effect. Additionally, replacing images with greater file sizes than normal resulted in the game crashing.

Modifying only sc_selcharacter_en.pac (sc_selcharacter2_en.pac and sc_selmap_en.pac not tested):
Game crashes.

Modifying sc_selcharacter_en.pac, sc_selcharacter2_en.pac and sc_selmap_en.pac with a null common5_en.pac:
Changes are noticable in-game. Slower loading times. Altering sc_selcharacter_en.pac, etc. after it has been loaded previously shows new in-game changes. Removing sc_selcharacter_en.pac results in an in-game error.
"An error has occurred. Press the eject button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii console off and refer to the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

EDIT: By "removing" I'm always going to mean deleting the file from the SD card. Ignore my mention of "disc image" earlier because that is a horrible way to describe how Riivolution works. Edited text in yellow.

bigman40

Smash Master
There you go :)
Let me reword my question. I have the stage texture location correct, and have exactly named the files as it should be as if I were using Gecko OS. However, the stage textures are made to be used with the alternate stage loader code (where they have "_A.pac, _B.pac, etc"), and they won't load when I use Riivolution.

I have the files in X/brawlmods/vbrawl/stages
I've also tried X/brawlmods/vbrawl/stages/melee

Both of these have not loaded any stage textures for me.

Since Riivolution patches the iso, would using the alternate stage loader code be useless? Or is there another way to name the stages for the game to recognize the multiple textures for specific stages?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Can someone help me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using bionicsonic's v2 modlauncher as seen in OP. I have my SD card setup as follows:

SD ROOT >
apps/riivolution/(boot.dol, icon, meta)
brawlmods/
music/strm/X05.brstm
textures/fighter/snake/ (fitsnake01-05.pcs)
vbrawl/RSBE01.gct (contains phantom wings file replacement 3.5.1 and +3min replays)
riivolution/ (modlauncher) + config/RSBE
private/SSBBfiles

I can't even get the game to launch. It just goes to a black screen. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate the the help. Also, what does hook do and does it matter what it's set to? I've set GXdraw (default), GXflush, and Ax-somthing- frame-something. Any help is appreciated :)

iLink

Smash Champion
Has anyone else experienced any problems after updating homebrew to 1.0.8? I've been using Bionic's method to run Brawl- and vBrawl fine prior to the update but after the update, my game always freezes on the pitch black screen following the "Now loading..."

I tried disabling everything and it still freezes after the loading screen.

bobjrsenior

Smash Cadet
You could also use smashstack. Also there are tutorials for other ways here http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide/4-3-guide as well as tutorials on everything you need to know about softmodding your wii.

Top Bottom