• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rising Aerials

Noyu

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone.

I main Yoshi in melee and have recently messed around a bit with Yoshi in PM. I noticed that Yoshi can now rise while using his aerials. I wanted to know if there are any huge uses for them that really make yoshi better, and also whether or not they have superarmor, because technically you are in your second jump. I've heard people saying to go out of the stage and do rising aerials to edgeguard, but if you dont have SA on the rise you could get knocked out of your second jump and killed D:. Here's what I've seen.

Upair: A little better combo game against floaty characters.

Fair: On occasion, I can recovery to land and fair the person standing on the edge during my second jump. You can also do this by hanging onto the ledge, falling, immediately double jumping and using your fair. Also I can fly out and meteor them in a new way using the fair, but that doesn't happen much.

Dair: This is a weird one. I have, against CPUs, been able to meteor them while using a rising dair, but it is somewhat difficult to pull off and the priority of the dair usually isnt greater than most character's up-special recovery attacks. Im not sure if this is a reliable option. I've tried in practice mode and a rising dair does not bring your opponent up with you.

Bair: I probably use this one the most. When the opponent is in the air the rising bair seems to bring them up with you. Although this could vary with who you're fighting. Good for raking damage.

Nair: It's easy as pie to get hits with these, but because Yoshi's nair's power decreases with time, i feel like it's better for me to wait till my sprite in really close to my opponent before using the nair. I feel like the nair only used like it was often in melee (as a counter attack after being hit into the air or as a quick ground attack) is still the best way to use it.

Remember I am only talking about rising aerials, not DJC aerials.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
A rising nair off stage is the best way to edge guard tether recoveries. Ivysaur is a piece of cake to edge guard like this. Same with Lucas, zss, samus, etc. As they go for a tether, drop down, throw out a nair, and rise back to stage. Repeat as necessary. GG 2 EZ

didds

Smash Lord
You lose the super armor. My favorite use is to wait for tethers or low recoveries in general, then drop and use a rising nair while I still have my ledge invincibility.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
One nifty use that I have for rising Up-air is at certain percentages, you can follow it up with F-air or N-air.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'm sort of new to semi-maining Yoshi, so please correct me if I'm off base!

Overall, rising bair seems to have the most utility. As you've said, it's great for raking damage, but since it does carry the opponent with you it can be used to set up combos. This seems to only work if you caught them while they had some upward momentum, usually as they're jumping.

I've been using rising fair a lot from below platforms. It usually catches the opponent off-guard, and if they were on the ground it'll pop them up with plenty of hitstun to follow into uair. It's also a great way to set up the ol' hammer and nail (meteor someone into the ground and immediately buttstomp).

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
A rising nair off stage is the best way to edge guard tether recoveries. Ivysaur is a piece of cake to edge guard like this. Same with Lucas, zss, samus, etc. As they go for a tether, drop down, throw out a nair, and rise back to stage. Repeat as necessary. GG 2 EZ
Do you have any videos of this?

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Likewise, as an Ivysaur main/Yoshi second I'd really love to see that. I can kind of picture it, but I want to see the approach.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, the match I had against a really good ivy was off stream. He usually places very high at my local tourneys, and I was able to 2 stock him twice (which was seen as an upset) since he couldn't recover.

I can try to throw something together soon to demonstrate the approach and thinking behind it soon.

rje457

Smash Cadet
Seems pretty awesome but also risky. I think rising bair would be the best because of the range it covers and the length of the attack.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Rising Bair would only be good on chars with bad recoveries. It's much more promising to do FH Bair > Rising Aerial in most situations.

didds

Smash Lord
bair has poor priority too so there's a better chance for your opponent to counter it.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Seriously, think REAL hard when considering Bair as an edge-guarding tool.

This is why.

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Actually a PMBR member commented on that, they said BrawlBox shows b-air incorrectly for some reason, so there's no way to know how it really looks till debug mode comes out.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Think of it like this, Bair in melee had literally 0 range, but was quick enough to catch people off guard. PM has the Brawl version of Bair (range increase), but often times, the hurtbox allows players to catch us in questionable moments. The move is still extremely worthy, just busted to where the planning has to be more useful. Then you consider the ability to change that option up into a Rising Nair. The presence of having DJ armor tank through a hit makes a player worry enough to not always stuff the Bair.

Bugs are extremely annoying to deal with, and Yoshi has tons of bugs in his game. It doesn't mean we need to not use it unless it's game-breaking (in certain matchups, it is). Despite me trying to manage playing Yoshi, it's really frustrating for me to know that I get caught in situations where the bugs screw me over. Everyone that plays Yoshi good enough understands how much it sucks to lose to bugs.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Fair off stage to rising Nair to catch the meteor cancel is a thing. it's so nasty

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Rising Nair offstage is amazing and underused, they can't fight back or they die so there's almost never a reason not to go for it. Then of course there's eggs which are brokenly good too...

I still have problems with fast-falling Fairs off-stage and SDing as a result though.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Rising Nair offstage is amazing and underused, they can't fight back or they die so there's almost never a reason not to go for it. Then of course there's eggs which are brokenly good too...

I still have problems with fast-falling Fairs off-stage and SDing as a result though.
do that on a stock-ahead finisher to the game. if you want to go off stage with a Fair, make sure it: Starts high above the stage, isn't a fast fall until the end animation, or is a low rising Fair. honestly, running off the stage and doing a Rising Fair is Janky and really good, because not only are you avoiding most projectiles, but the opponent won't see it coming and they will have already used their second jump to be up that high

Top Bottom