• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rising Nair, very useful

okami473

Smash Apprentice
It dosent seem like this has been posted anywhere, so it seems Im gonna talk about it.

Since the removal of the old physics of the double jump cancel you now rise like crazy after performing a DJC nair. It turns out it is still really usful. If you are aproching who likes to sheildgrab, you run up, double jump quickly as possible then nair. You rise up much to fast for the opponent to sheild grab and because yoshi is really high up you can DI away and airdodge and most of the time you can get away unpunnished. You can also do this against regular attacks useing the super armour , but it ends up being a bit more risky. It give yoshi another solid approach besides bair.

Sharky

Smash Master
eehhhhhhhhh sounds iffy to me. For one, the nair doesn't have that much range, so you'd have to get pretty close to start the attack, a little too close for comfort if you ask me. Secondly, being stuck in the air with no more jumps is not a good position, especially if that opponent doesn't try to grab and jumps out of shield to punish your yoshi, who doesn't have any high priority aerials against opponents attacking from below.

Don't get me wrong, there are situations where it could be implemented. Just not too often in the case of attacking shields. =/

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is a plan with some thought put into it, but it's inherently flawed and I'll tell you why.

The adage from Melee that I think still extends to Brawl is that you really shouldn't attack shields at all. You could beat up on shields in 64 (it was actually quite beneficial for you to do so), but it became stupendously dangerous in Melee and is still not very smart to do in Brawl.

Rising neutral air is good. Using it in this way is pretty dangerous, however. I'm sure there are some more effective uses for this cool move. Just my two cents.

launchpadmcqak13

Smash Apprentice
Another reason, when you start your second jump it takes longer to do the attack. A bit of lag in Brawl, (could cancel in melee, fastfalling, and speed this up...) thus making them straight up grab my foot.

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
Rising Nair is a great technique, and it proves to pierce through shields; it is a move to be taken into consideration when brawling. If the problem becomes being stranded in mid air without another jump, the Yoshi bomb is the best recovery, leaving only your head open (unless there's soneone with great range attacks, but they must be real quick to retaliate). Even if you are sent off the side of the stage for whatever reason, your egg toss recovery should be an easy ticket back in the stage.

In closing statement, this technique is not bad at all; Pierce through shields, or a combo finisher, these attack is not likely to be well punished by your opponent.

D

Deleted member

Shiri pretty much hit the nail on the head. Rising nair is very useful, im not sure if this will work, leaves u open after u do it, especially if u become predictable with your yoshi bomb.

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
Well, obviously there are other ways of reaching ground, and Yoshi has a solid air game to begin with. The yoshi bomb should be used as a surprise attack of some sorts. What I was trying to say is that it would be really difficult for the opponent to chase a Rising Nair because of yoshi's height by the time he jumps out of the shield.

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
These double posts are annoying.

Well, to make this post count as something other than spam, I'll just post the pros and cons from my point of view.

Pros:
-Can shieldstab (especially if used as a follow-up to a SH Dair)
-Goes out of shieldgrabbing/grabbing range.
-Hard to chase and/or punish.

Cons
-Wastes your second (and most important) jump
-Could set you for a Vertical fall

Anything else?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Usually when I'm charging someone, i'll just assume that they're going to shield so i grab them instead (yoshi's running grab works in brawl!) or anyone with counter, like marth and ike 50 50 chance i'll either ram him in the run or grab him in the run

Top Bottom