• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Apex: Ascension 4!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
This is the day where Houston finally gave up. Gave up on the game and the scene. Only 12 entrants. 2 of those 12 were from OOC or OOS. So in reality only 10 Houston people attended. My once great city is demolished. i shouldn't have left.

:phone:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
12 entrants.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
AND TYLER RISES!

Nickel talkin about his tourney the best in TX and biggest TX tourneys.

Yo. Tyler has always had 17 entrants. Every tourney.
Curse of 17.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
As I posted earlier, I did not attend this tourney due to my DJ events, but here's my 2 cents for the attendance of this tournament, and the future of the Houston Scene.

Was this tournament even promoted? I checked the Official Texas Smash Twitter and last post was for promoting Ascension 3. I know Sync and everybody else is probably working, but there must be a new way of promoting these events.

Also, 12 people is inexcusable. Seems like majority of the attendance is Syncs House which is like 3/4 of the total people there. What are you guys doing actively to get people in?

Insomnia tournaments pull 35-40 people each time (majority people living relatively close to that area). Total cost is about 7 dollars (2 dollar venue + 5 dollar entry fee) which also covers a free pizza and a drink. Sure its a casual tournament (FD,BF,SV, double elimination, one match) but maybe you should cater to that crowd. Possibly talk with the Insomnia guy and maybe hold competitive brawl workshops so that you can actually ease the causal players into the scene.

I don't know whats the best way to improve attendance, but you pick some different location of some sort. Trying to convince the parents that the kid should go to a tournament with strangers at a Hookah Bar could possibly shoo them away.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Last insomnia tourney was the first to not have that many, and it had less than 20 people.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Better than 12. Lets be real. And that was during the Halloween weekend if I'm not mistaken

Denti

Smash Master
I agree with the younger kids in the hookah bar. I would feel awkward if I was under 18 and new to the scene. ..Nor would my parents allow me to come if I was in high school still.

Lets just find a game store.

Also Dallas and Tyler and SA did better than this. Houston is the largest and strongest. We just have to tweak the variables and this will be the largest scene in TX. Variables being venue, advertising, organization, planning, ect.

I did enjoy myself at this tournament though.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I haven't even seen Sync on here, FB, or AiB since before the tourney.

3 months ago TX was one of the best states in the US.
6 months ago it might have had that title.

Wtf happened

Denti

Smash Master
Kiliikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!! we need to team sometime killiiikkkk

edit:

KiiiilllliiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkklkkkklLLkkk

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Kilik, you should play Melee or Project M. Sheik is a hell of a lot better than she is in Brawl.

And no results thread? lol Too embarassed to post them, hmmm? Too... "busy"?

Where are you Sync? Show yourself, you coward!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Oh... Well then, I feel sheepish.

Wasn't this an Apex qualifier? I would think something like that should have its results posted regardless of attendance.

Why do I even care?

I don't, so I really will leave you all forever alone now.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Has to have 32 entrants to be an Apex qualifier though. It would be dumb if last place got seeding points.

sheikamaru

jive
yea.... um... sheiks broken... i might as well go to melee if i wanna play sheik to her full potential.

and yes denti i'd be down.

Denti

Smash Master
1: Jnig+Gnes ($70.00)
2: PJ+Pwii ($20.00)
3: Razer+P4 ($10.00)
4: Kilik+Maharba
5: Run C.T.+Asa
5: Sync+Zephyr

1: Pwii ($70.00)
2: Denti ($20.00)
3: Razer ($10.00)