• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Pro

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
I've grown up with melee as more of a party game really and only played competitive with my one friend. It somewhat seems that everyone has moved on from this game besides myself and after getting hooked into the flashy quickness of top Smashers like Mango, M2K, Ken, this game has really intrigued me to become good. I find the quickness of melee far more intense than any sport (well...from a viewers opinion)

I am going to my first tournament over the March break, and haven't had much practice against real players, or on the platform stages (i.e Yoshis Story, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland (Past), because once my group of friends unlocked final destination, that all we played on (for singles).

Is there any tips that I could get about the fighting in tournaments, and what will be expected with tournament schedules?

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
I use a wireless controller, and sometimes there is lagg between that and my cube. I should probably get a wired controller shouldn't I?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
1. get a wired controller asap. at bigger tournaments wavebirds tend to freak out. you also don't want to be the guy who gets disqualified cause his controller ran out of batteries
2. your first tournament is not about your performance. Make contacts. Learn the ins and outs of your local community. Get phone numbers. Ask when an upcoming smashfest is and attend it.

Beat!

Smash Master
Since it's your first tournament, try to play a ton of friendlies against as many peole as possible (preferably of varying skill levels). View it as a learning experience.

Also, you should turn on the other legal stages when practicing.

And yeah, get a wired controller. Not a 3rd party one.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
-Go into tourney day with a good night's sleep and a positive mindset.

-Remember to bring your own controller.

-Don't be shy in asking someone to play a friendly. If you see an open setup and someone nearby with a gamecube controller; just ask!

-In your first tourney match your opponent may be a stickler for the rules, or he may even try and take advantage of you during the character/stage selection. Make sure you have read the rules.

-If possible try and play at least 1 or 2 games on a recording setup. This may help your game in the future.

-And the most important tip: Try And Have Fun!

**Also I'm not sure of all of the SWF rules these days, but years ago that name would not have flown on the boards. Be ready for a possible name nerf.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Expect to get whooped, but in a good way.

Play as many people as possible, see if anyone lives close to you/goes to your school/etc so you can do friendlies with them. See if there's a social thread of players near you/in your region.

And yes, get a wired controller!

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the support. The tourney I'm going to is held in the basement of a game store so I'll try to see If I can get a controller from there.

This community seems friendly enough, and I am looking forward to meeting people who love this game as much as I do. Another question. Where are the large tourneys held like genesis, pound, rom, apex. I really want to get good and here HomeMadeWaffles freaking out if I pull off some mad combo. I just keep picturing myself doing some kind of shine into a bair and he is like oooh! DlC!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I see you live in the same place as me. Where more specifically do you live and what tournament is this that your going too?

Bing

Smash Master
Haha KrIsP, I saw that too. Where in Ontario you Located?

Also, I agree with everything above, even if you're getting *****, dont become discouraged, the first person I ever played was KirbyKaze, I got *****(he still ***** me, at best I take 2 stocks off his Fox)

Take all the advice you can, even if it doesnt seem right atleast listen to it, sometimes people give the wrong advice but they're on the right track, so If you can take bits and pieces from everyone, you can develop fairly well.

Dont expect to crush everyone, or that you will be crushed by everyone. Go into it level-headed, calm(IMPORTANT) and be sure to keep your cool, even if you are getting wrecked :p A Lot of the people you will probably play will be a lot more experienced than you, the style is different from computers and even from your friends. Learn to adapt, sometimes your style and thought won't work so be prepared to think outside the box :p

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice

Haha KrIsP, I saw that too. Where in Ontario you Located?

Also, I agree with everything above, even if you're getting *****, dont become discouraged, the first person I ever played was KirbyKaze, I got *****(he still ***** me, at best I take 2 stocks off his Fox)

Take all the advice you can, even if it doesnt seem right atleast listen to it, sometimes people give the wrong advice but they're on the right track, so If you can take bits and pieces from everyone, you can develop fairly well.

Dont expect to crush everyone, or that you will be crushed by everyone. Go into it level-headed, calm(IMPORTANT) and be sure to keep your cool, even if you are getting wrecked :p A Lot of the people you will probably play will be a lot more experienced than you, the style is different from computers and even from your friends. Learn to adapt, sometimes your style and thought won't work so be prepared to think outside the box :p
I live in Fort Erie, which is a small town that boarders Buffalo, and is close to Toronto and Niagara Falls. I am going to the "A & C World" tournament held in Downtown Toronto. Kirbykaze apparently going to show up there. I really don't mind getting owned, it has seriously been a while since someone has beaten me because everyone I play rage quits after two matches. Thats why I'm trying to reach out more into the melee community to find people who enjoy this game as much as me.

Bing

Smash Master
I live in Fort Erie, which is a small town that boarders Buffalo, and is close to Toronto and Niagara Falls. I am going to the "A & C World" tournament. Kirbykaze apparently going to show up there. I really don't mind getting owned, it has seriously been a while since someone has beaten me because everyone I play rage quits after two matches. Thats why I'm trying to reach out more into the melee community to find people who enjoy this game as much as me.
Oh Fort Erie, okay, I live in St.Catharines, so not very far. I normally go to these things but my best friends birthday party is the same day D:

If you're from Fort Erie you might know Linksta.. aka Jared

Top Bottom