• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Move the little hand icon over the picture of MK and press the A button

stingers

Smash Obsessed
basically, when you're fighting MK, you know what they want. to hit you when you're falling. that's all MK is after. so what you have to do is exploit that. when you know what your opponent wants, it makes them predictable...their whole option pool becomes limited to things that will achieve that goal.

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
I was writing this large question with many facets but my computer decided to spazz out and i lost it. So to simplify it down. Why is FD so good for IC's, their CG is 0-death from everywhere distance doesn't help them. FD seems good for me (to take IC's to)

And secondly, where can I get the image for the ROB-Train? It's effing sweet! XD

sneakytako

Smash Lord
FD has no platforms, which is the easiest way to avoid being CG. This applies to all CG chars including D3 and Falco, FD is really good for them. But ROB has the unique advantage of staying in the air longer than any character, thus FD isn't as bad for him.

And thanks for the input stingers, I'm going to try and rethink my mk strat.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I think I've found a new technique with R.O.B.. (I apologize if this's already known).

When R.O.B. grabs an item that he can glidetoss with (for example Wario's tires, ZSS's parts, Snake's grenades and so on), then he can do the following: When you charge your gyro, then you can interrupt it by doing a glidetoss instead (you save your charged gyro). Great for mindgaming!

Is this known? Every character who can charge a projectile (like Lucario and Samus) and having a glidetoss can do this technique IIRC. Any thoughts about this?

Idk if it's known, but it's not, you know, completely groundbreaking. Since you can shield cancel the charges, all you're doing is taking advantage of that to use a glidetoss. Though I agree, it is good for faking someone out.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Oh, okay.

Also, please, can someone explain me where the blindspots are on R.O.B., I have to know and see the images! D=

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That tech is nothing special, it's just that you can cancel gyro charge into a shield, which is a major part in glide toss.
About the blindspots, THEY ARE STILL BELOW ROB.
Got it? BELOW, the place you dair.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah actually nobodys really mentioned that specifically ccst, glad you posted it.

You can do anything out of gyro that you can do out of shield, including grab by only pressing Z.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
imo it's known

Diddy's use it all the time for Peanut Popgun (another chargeable attack that can be canceled by shield).

for Lucario it's pretty handy because 1 banana = free FCAS.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
That tech is nothing special, it's just that you can cancel gyro charge into a shield, which is a major part in glide toss.
About the blindspots, THEY ARE STILL BELOW ROB.
Got it? BELOW, the place you dair.
Yeah but HOW big? Give me more information please.

But what I mentioned before, you don't need to shield, you can toss directly without shielding, you know what I mean? You don't need to put your shield out or anything...

Silhouette

Smash Lord
but shield is the first thing you press to glidetoss, no?

You do need to shield, its just that things cancel so fast that the shield doesn't physically appear over ROB.

The blindspot is massive, basically anywhere that a Bair can't hit is part of ROBs blindspot.

Sharky

Smash Master
no you can dodgeroll out of gyro charge without shielding, so you can glidetoss without hitting shield. Pretty sure that's what he's getting at.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Sharky, no, but it's quite interesting. xD

Silhouette, okay thanks for the information. And you understood what I meant.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
ROBs,I have a simple question for you:

Why.....Frigate?
gimp and recovery can be abused. and by recovery i simply mean up-b in general wheter to attack bait or recover. having a gyro on a such a small stage is also pretty annoying. also we can camp the side platforms better then most characters, and prevent others from using it.
(just no MK plz) lol

edit: DK or Robs F-tilt, which is longer?

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
Hello I recently became Interested in ROB and I want to ask if he's a character that takes skill to use because those are the characters that I enjoy using the most.

Stingers is being a troll. As usual.:muffin:

But seriously, pick up ROB if you want a challenge. This is because, well, it'll be tough gettting anywhere with him. But he has decent playstyle variation, including technical, campy(lol), and semi-aerial aggro. Tbh, I prefer technical.

So the basic technical stuff is done with his Gyro. There's gyro canceling, gyro fall through, gyro placement/spacing, glidetoss, dribble, etc.

Now you add stuff like turnaround, wavebounce, and recoiled gyro cancels and you've great directional control.

Adding to that is his burner. You need to be able to space your B button presses to conserve fuel while being as mobile as possible.

There's also proper UTilt usage, I.e., knowing when you should just hit with the weak hit, and when you should get the strong hits, but that really isn't as important.

But basically, ROB can be almost as technical as Snake thanks to his Gyro. Read: almost.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
Stingers is being a troll. As usual.:muffin:

But seriously, pick up ROB if you want a challenge. This is because, well, it'll be tough gettting anywhere with him. But he has decent playstyle variation, including technical, campy(lol), and semi-aerial aggro. Tbh, I prefer technical.

So the basic technical stuff is done with his Gyro. There's gyro canceling, gyro fall through, gyro placement/spacing, glidetoss, dribble, etc.

Now you add stuff like turnaround, wavebounce, and recoiled gyro cancels and you've great directional control.

Adding to that is his burner. You need to be able to space your B button presses to conserve fuel while being as mobile as possible.

There's also proper UTilt usage, I.e., knowing when you should just hit with the weak hit, and when you should get the strong hits, but that really isn't as important.

But basically, ROB can be almost as technical as Snake thanks to his Gyro. Read: almost.
thanks for the explanation. That really makes me want to play ROB Now. However I still haven't mastered Wario completely yet so I'll have to wait a little bit until I completely master Wario and then I'll use ROB. :)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've a question: I don't know if this has been asked already, but can R.O.B. perform a DACUS? I tried experimenting with zero results. If he actually can, does he gain anything from it?

That's like, the only thing about R.O.B. that seems to bother me; not knowing if he can or not. X__x

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Everyone has a DACUS iirc. ROB's is just not good. It goes just a little farther than his hyphen u-smash, so it's not really worth doing.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Everyone has a DACUS iirc. ROB's is just not good. It goes just a little farther than his hyphen u-smash, so it's not really worth doing.
Great. That answered my question perfectly. It's a shame R.O.B. can't DACUS well. Though I suppose glide tossing the living hell out of his Gyro and his wavebouncing helps to make up for that, so we're good. ^ω^

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello I recently became Interested in ROB and I want to ask if he's a character that takes skill to use because those are the characters that I enjoy using the most.
He's one of the most technical characters in Brawl, so yes, he requieres huge skills to master.

Also, I don't know if this's known, but R.O.B.'s Utilt has a sweetspot. If the second hit hits on the sides, then it does 1% more than if it hits in the middle.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What the **** are you talking about? Rob doesn't need any **** technical skill and has a pretty short learning curve...

Top Bottom